It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's My Life: A Discussion on Euthanasia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Euthanasia is a controversial topic. Not only does this subject evoke strong emotions, it also questions and challenges our own sense of morality.

For the purpose of clarity, my broad definition of Euthanasia would include: "any planned and systematic action, or assisted action, taken to end peacefully the life of a human being with the subject's informed consent." (I am aware this might not cover the strict definition as set forth by laws in some countries/regions, but it is useful in this form for the purpose of discussion.)

There are no easy answers, but that does not mean that a mature and meaningful discussion cannot take place. If you feel I have overlooked some views in regard to this topic, feel free to reply and fill me in.

Major Arguments Against Euthanasia:

a) Pain, suffering and distress (PSaD) are all apart of God's divine plan and taking one's life interferes with that. In addition, your life does not strictly belong to you but rather the higher power that gave you life.

b) PSaD are actually beneficial (in the long-term) in terms of building resilience and character, and learning how not to treat others. They also act as lessons for us in our life experiences.

c) Deciding to take one's own life is still taking a life, which is intrinsically wrong.

d) Those stating they wish to take their own lives are usually not mentally fit to make such an extreme decision.

e) PSaD - whether physical, mental or both - can be overcome through time. Who knows what life experiences (and lessons) somebody is set to miss out on if they fail to give themselves enough time to overcome their PSaD and take their own life.

f) We are all ONE and any act that harms a part of the collective whole affects all that are connected.

g) Euthanasia might be encouraged by those surrounding the individual for the wrong reasons, e.g. a written will/insurance policy or extreme hatred of that person.

Major Arguments For Euthanasia:

a) Euthanasia puts an end to pain, suffering and distress (PSaD) for the individual concerned.

b) Euthanasia extinguishes the PSaD felt and experienced by those surrounding the individual. No longer do relatives and friends have to witness the loss of dignity and overall deterioration of the quality of life of the suffering individual.

c) In many cases of Euthanasia, death is an assured outcome for the individual and it makes logical sense to remove the unnecessary PSaD to be experienced by the individual. If the condition is irreversible and will lead to death in 1 week, 12 months or 5 years, why make the individual suffer for no reason?

d) Preventing an individual from taking their own life is selfish and disregards the needs and desires of the individual.

e) It is a fundamental human right to end one's own life if one no longer desires to live.

f) Taking one's life in a planned systematic and consensual context avoids the chance that they will take their own life in a public place which is likely to be sudden and barbaric in execution.

g) The less resources spent on prolonging the lives of those whom are terminally unwell, the more resources available to help those who need help and are not terminally unwell.

Those are some of the major arguments both for and against Euthanasia.

Some questions to ponder after reading the above:

1) How do I define a life?
2) Is Euthanasia morally justifiable in certain cases?
3) Should Euthanasia be legalised?
4) If legalised, shouldn't there be safeguards in place to ensure it is justified?
5) What are the moral implications for the person who assists the individual with their suicide?

edit on 2/10/2013 by Dark Ghost because: formatting, title change

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

The state should not be involved in the daily lives of people. What possible justification could there be that it should be involved in their deaths? I cannot make a sweeping determination about its application by individuals, nor can anyone.

Therefore, it seems to be a fruitless debate.
edit on 2-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This says it all for me...

e) It is a fundamental human right to end one's own life if one no longer desires to live.

I've nothing further to add...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have an incurable, progressively debilitating disease. Who is ANYONE to tell me that I have to ride it to the bitter end? It's not your life, it's mine. You have no say.

(this is not directed at any specific individual, it is a general "you")

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
While my beliefs say that euthanasia/suicide is terribly wrong, I have to say that I have not been in a situation (unending relentless pain?) where I might consider it. I also have to say that everyone has the right to do what they wish with their own body. I would feel differently if adults were given the right to choose for their children because the motives in those cases may not be the purest for all involved.

Our bodies are the ONE thing that nobody else should have say or sway over. If someone wants to die, they should be able to make that choice regardless of the reason. I can not judge what other folks can or can not live with. I can not judge when someone is in an appropriate level of pain (mental or physical) to make their choice right or wrong.

It is not the government's job to decide for anyone either.

As for the morality of the situation? I never thought that I would be able to help someone die.... until recently. My father recently had a stroke and came through it with no lasting issues but then had another heart attack which led him to being life flighted to a hospital hours away to try and save his life. I saw my Dad in that bed helpless and weak but more than that I saw him writhing in pain that a morphine drip could not touch.

That was hard and it went on for days. While I wanted nothing more than my father to survive.... I caught myself wanting nothing more than seeing him out of pain. He did pull through but was told to expect hospice care to be given soon. So would I consider helping him pass on if he stayed in that much pain and was ready to let go of this life? I think it would be awfully difficult but YES, I do believe I could do it in those circumstances. I might never be able to sleep well again and guilt may visit more often than not, who knows? I just know that one can have an opinion about something then have that opinion blown out of the water by simple life experiences.

We are the sole owners of ourselves. Taking these decisions out of our hands defeats that ideal. You never know when someone has had enough. My threshold may be more than someone elses ... there is no way to know and for that reason alone we should not have a say in when another person wants to end their own life.

edit on 10/2/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If assisted suicide became the norm i would assume that a very large chunk of the global population would take advantage of such an easy exit from this prison. We could be talking about hundreds of millions less people paying taxes and feeding the rich and elite pig scum. I hardly think that our prison wardens would allow such shenanigans to spoil their party.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

I understand your point.

I understand there are many people in dire situations that experience daily pain and agony. I too live this everyday so I understand.

You did not make your life.

Ending one's life is suicide.

Suicide is murder which is the last act the person committed while alive.

Murderers go to hell.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

I understand your point.

I understand there are many people in dire situations that experience daily pain and agony. I too live this everyday so I understand.

Murderers go to hell.

No Problem With Faith - JUST FEAR

Caught in the honey trap i see...

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

Murderers go to hell.

So be it. If that is how a "loving God" works, I want no part of him.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

I understand your point.

Murderers go to hell.

Hey Pig Charmer, whatevers, I have had a one way ticket to Hell ever since i popped out of mummy dearest because I was born a faggot and Jesus sends us faggots to Hell as you guys delightfully thrive upon proclaiming to us whenever you get the opportunity.

No Problem With Faith - JUST FEAR!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I know exactly how you feel! I have great sympathy!

In 2007 my mom and I had been living together since my dad had passed away in 1999, one day my mom had a heart attack and ended up in hospital, on the day she was scheduled to be discharged, I was on my way to fetch her and take her home, when I got a phone call from my sister to say she had had a stroke and she couldn't go home as she needed help breathing and constant care, she then stayed in hospital for many months.

On the second last night of her life she somehow, from somewhere, got the energy to open her eyes and asked me DESPERATELY to help her die! I struggle to think about it because I can hear her voice and remember her exact words, "Please help me die Rob, PLEASE HELP ME!", they replay in my head over and over again to this day! That was the last thing I ever heard my mom say!

The next morning I was told she was not expected to live another night, I brought her home in an ambulance and when she and I were alone I told her that I would help her but she had to wait for me to get back from work the next day, I had no idea what I was going to do but I needed time because I knew that I had to help her go in peace!

That night I slept on her bed next to her with our Golden Retriever lying between us, I went to work in the morning hoping that I would "get" an answer, an idea, of how I was going to do what she wanted, suffice it to say that later in the day I got a call from my sister who had come over to my house before I went to work, she told me that I should come home as she didn't think mom was going to live much longer!

It still breaks my heart that she died before I could get home and say a last goodbye! I didn't have to help her die, she gave up wanting to live, but I would have and I honestly hope that should I ever be in that position someone will be there that I can ask to help me at least to go in peace and without pain!

Much love and have strength!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

I understand your point.

Murderers go to hell.

Mods can't we PLEASE have the ignore button back??

You can keep your hell, my God does not punish us or threaten us with hell! My God is a God of mercy and understanding, one that does not encourage fear and hatred!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Doc Gator

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

Murderers go to hell.

Then so be it. We all have to live by our decisions.

Clearly you have no understanding of God.

If you want to go to hell.... so be it. Heaven is not for everyone. When you are down there say hello to my grandmother.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

wiser3
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I know exactly how you feel! I have great sympathy!

In 2007 my mom and I had been living together since my dad had passed away in 1999, one day my mom had a heart attack and ended up in hospital, on the day she was scheduled to be discharged, I was on my way to fetch her and take her home, when I got a phone call from my sister to say she had had a stroke and she couldn't go home as she needed help breathing and constant care, she then stayed in hospital for many months.

On the second last night of her life she somehow, from somewhere, got the energy to open her eyes and asked me DESPERATELY to help her die! I struggle to think about it because I can hear her voice and remember her exact words, "Please help me die Rob, PLEASE HELP ME!", they replay in my head over and over again to this day! That was the last thing I ever heard my mom say!

The next morning I was told she was not expected to live another night, I brought her home in an ambulance and when she and I were alone I told her that I would help her but she had to wait for me to get back from work the next day, I had no idea what I was going to do but I needed time because I knew that I had to help her go in peace!

That night I slept on her bed next to her with our Golden Retriever lying between us, I went to work in the morning hoping that I would "get" an answer, an idea, of how I was going to do what she wanted, suffice it to say that later in the day I got a call from my sister who had come over to my house before I went to work, she told me that I should come home as she didn't think mom was going to live much longer!

It still breaks my heart that she died before I could get home and say a last goodbye! I didn't have to help her die, she gave up wanting to live, but I would have and I honestly hope that should I ever be in that position someone will be there that I can ask to help me at least to go in peace and without pain!

Much love and have strength!

God bless you for your touching story. I know it will give many people strength from your story.

I am so glad you did not follow through.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Fraudfinder

Silly me, I was replying to Rival!

As a gay person I'll second that! I do not believe in this hell that "God" has promised "his children"!

If I don't believe in it it doesn't exist!
edit on 2/10/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

wiser3

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

I understand your point.

Murderers go to hell.

Mods can't we PLEASE have the ignore button back??

You can keep your hell, my God does not punish us or threaten us with hell! My God is a God of mercy and understanding, one that does not encourage fear and hatred!

So God can not become angry? Are you saying God does not display these emotions?

You need to read your bible again.

You are funny. Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Fraudfinder

Doc Gator

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

Murderers go to hell.

If you want to go to hell.... so be it. Heaven is not for everyone. When you are down there say hello to my grandmother.

Are you hearing the thoughts in your head before typing them with your fingers? At all?
And you wonder why some people want nothing to do with your god? Think about it. YOU represent that god on earth. Is this how you want your god perceived by those you are speaking to right now?

On topic:

I believe a person has a right to choose life or death. If I want to depart from this world, NO ONE has the right to tell me I am not allowed. For whatever reason.

I have a cousin who blew his brains out. I hated it. It hurt the family that he did this. But I have to respect his decision whether I like it or not. I do wish he would have come to me first. But he chose not to.
edit on 10/2/2013 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 10/2/2013 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Fraudfinder

Doc Gator

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

Murderers go to hell.

Wow. I sincerely hope that your eyes are opened soon. Carrying that much hate is a terrible burden. Far worse than what I have to deal with. I will pray for you.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

wiser3
reply to post by Fraudfinder

As a gay person I'll second that! I do not believe in this hell that "God" has promised "his children"!

If I don't believe in it it doesn't exist!

Of course you believe this because you do not like what the bible says about being gay do you?

Do you know what the bible says about being gay?

Leviticus 18:22
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." (NLT)

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."

You claim to believe in God but I guess you overlooked this in the bible, right?

Simply because you refuse to believe does not make it so. Repent or you will end up in hell.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Doc Gator

Fraudfinder

Doc Gator

Fraudfinder
reply to post by rival

Murderers go to hell.

Wow. I sincerely hope that your eyes are opened soon. Carrying that much hate is a terrible burden. Far worse than what I have to deal with. I will pray for you.

I think we are all adults on this site, aren't we?

The truth is as sharp as a two edged sword.

There is a difference between hate and reprimanding someone by trying to help them.

Any true servant of the one true God does not ignore ignorance or allow the spreading of lies and deceptions about the one whom they serve do they?

How would you act if someone spoke of your father that way?

I thank you for your prayers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join