It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to keep government open, delay ObamaCare by 1 year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The U.S. House has sent the stopgap bill back to the Senate.

They now have included a one year delay for the ObamaCare individual mandate portion of the PPACA !!!

Apparently the general funding for PPACA will continue.

The bill also allows the debt ceiling to be raised and thus avoid a federal 'shut down'.

The House also wants to repeal that medical device tax.

AND, they want to guarantee pay for the military should a temporary shutdown occur.

It sounds like the military pay, and medical device tax repeal are in separate bills.

Now we shall see what the Senate will do.

Let's hope the Democrat majority will vote to keep government 'open for business'.

Let's hope Obama will do the same.

House Republicans voted early Sunday morning in favor of a temporary spending bill that includes a one-year delay for ObamaCare, a move that increases the chance of a government shutdown with Senate Democrats and the White House vowing to reject the measure ahead of a Monday night deadline.

The Republican-led House passed the proposal 231-192 in one of two amendments attached to a Senate spending bill passed Friday night.

The lower chamber also passed an amendment 248-174 to repeal the health-care law’s medical-device tax and voted 423-0 to approve a bill to pay the military on time should a temporary shutdown occur, in a series of votes that started shortly before midnight. The final tallies came in after midnight, and the House adjourned until 10 a.m. Monday shortly after.

The Senate seems hell-bent on making the shutdown happen. Hmmm. All they have to do is delay the individual mandate.

A one year delay in the mandate would give all the other delays time to 'coordinate' themselves.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm not sure they can delay the Obamacare tax. I mean seriously...I don't know they have that option without bringing a collapse of the medical system real quickly. The problem being, that IS the funding of the system that has already moved so far to implementation, at the expense of the old regulatory structure ....it's basically postponing almost everything by a year when little remains to keep things going between now and then.

No money means we don't get Obamacare right away, but don't look now? There is nothing fully functioning to carry over either. Obamacare's design in regulation has insured that, itself.

Welcome to the nightmare in full color. We can't back up and we can't go forward. Either direction brings worse than we have today.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

From my perspective, this is unfortunate as it means that obamacare gets to skirt by for another year, masking some of its most deleterious effects and further entrenching all interested parties.

Obama, the Democrats and the Republicans win again, when will we decide to start playing?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We need to compare the impacts of the delays already in effect.

How will those delays affect the mandate that all individuals *must* have an insurance policy ?

There is a question whether or not the employer mandate delay actually 'delays' the part that says they *must* pay for employee policies if they are in that 50 full time employee category.

If employers get a one year delay, and don't offer insurance polices, that means people *must* buy their own policies and pay.

That's just one possible problem.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
They are just wasting their time. The Senate is controlled by Democrats as well as the White House. There is no way this will go through.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Pops up some popcorn......

Uh-huh....when's the action flick start ?

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

That is the problem..... (Looks at clock) Something DOES have to get through and there is a die hard, carved in stone tablets deadline to this little negotiation of theirs before serious damage is done to our nation by just having gone over the edge. Coming back right away will stop it from getting worse, but the damage is done.

I view this latest thing as a deliberate poison pill to stymie the process just one last time unless Senate and House discussed this little whopper in advance to work out a 'deal within the deal' to pass something.

However, if no continuing resolution passes in lieu of a budget (and there is no budget), we all get to see the unthinkable happen.

I guess after seeing Sequester happen when no one thought it would, it shouldn't be written off as impossible. Maybe they all really could be this reckless.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm just a simple truck driver, with a not very tight connection on the here and now, as far as political news and shenanigans go, however.

As I see it, and since Obama has given delays/waivers to all his 'friends', it's 'we the people' that were meant to pay for this abomination of a law all along. It's why he absolutely refuses to accept ANY form of negotiation on his 'baby'.

He(Obama), and those behind and above him, need to bankrupt the middle class. 'They' need us cowering and crawling in the streets. They know that once we're down, the US economy will also drop. A bankruptcy of the entire nation. Only then can they employ the necessary steps to bring total dominance over us.

Do I have proof? No. I have common sense, backed up by a gut feeling.

edit on 29-9-2013 by 2ndthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

buster2010
They are just wasting their time. The Senate is controlled by Democrats as well as the White House. There is no way this will go through.

And if it doesn't, it's the Dem. controlled Senate and/or the Dem. White House that is to blame for a government shutdown. These latest amendments ARE NOT unreasonable, considering who's already gotten their exemptions.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

I'm not sure they can delay the Obamacare tax. I mean seriously...I don't know they have that option without bringing a collapse of the medical system real quickly. The problem being, that IS the funding of the system that has already moved so far to implementation, at the expense of the old regulatory structure ....it's basically postponing almost everything by a year when little remains to keep things going between now and then.

No money means we don't get Obamacare right away, but don't look now? There is nothing fully functioning to carry over either. Obamacare's design in regulation has insured that, itself.

Welcome to the nightmare in full color. We can't back up and we can't go forward. Either direction brings worse than we have today.

I agree with you.
I hope we have a shutdown and the transition period of the Fed ending. Government steals our freedoms and the Fed robs the poor.
Ignorance is not an asset.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

2ndthought

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm just a simple truck driver, with a not very tight connection on the here and now, as far as political news and shenanigans go, however.

As I see it, and since Obama has given delays/waivers to all his 'friends', it's 'we the people' that were meant to pay for this abomination of a law all along. It's why he absolutely refuses to accept ANY form of negotiation on his 'baby'.

He(Obama), and those behind and above him, need to bankrupt the middle class. 'They' need us cowering and crawling in the streets. They know that once we're down, the US economy will also drop. A bankruptcy of the entire nation. Only then can they employ the necessary steps to bring total dominance over us.

Do I have proof? No. I have common sense, backed up by a gut feeling.

edit on 29-9-2013 by 2ndthought because: (no reason given)

And your common sense *IS* the proof.

Your gut feeling is exactly what they are doing.

Excellent Post !!

Read about the Cloward–Piven strategy

The Cloward–Piven strategy is a political strategy outlined in 1966 by American sociologists and political activists Richard Cloward and Frances Fox Piven that called for overloading the U.S. public welfare system in order to precipitate a crisis that would lead to a replacement of the welfare system with a national system of "a guaranteed annual income and thus an end to poverty". Cloward and Piven were a married couple who were both professors at the Columbia University School of Social Work. The strategy was formulated in a May 1966 article in liberal[1] magazine The Nation titled "The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty".

Just assume the last part about "A Strategy to End Poverty" was the *selling point*, not the end plan.

The 'end plan' is to establish a Marxist ideology.

Too bad Richard Cloward and Frances Fox Piven didn't use birth control....

their 'baby' is growing up too fast !!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Would any one agree that the President and Congress should not be payed if the government shuts down?
Maybe then that would be more concerned.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

2ndthought

buster2010

And if it doesn't, it's the Dem. controlled Senate and/or the Dem. White House that is to blame for a government shutdown. These latest amendments ARE NOT unreasonable, considering who's already gotten their exemptions.

Maybe you should read the demands the the Republicans want. In the long run they will cost America both money and jobs because one of the demands is for the keystone pipeline to go through.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

buster2010

2ndthought

buster2010

Maybe you should read the demands the the Republicans want. In the long run they will cost America both money and jobs because one of the demands is for the keystone pipeline to go through.

I'm sure everybody would *love* to see the facts and figures of your claims.

Can you post some verifiable information ?

Detail are mandatory.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I thought funding originates in the House and the Senate approves?
So how does the Senate originate a spending bill?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

xuenchen

buster2010

2ndthought

buster2010

I'm sure everybody would *love* to see the facts and figures of your claims.

Can you post some verifiable information ?

Detail are mandatory.

Thanks in advance.

Fact Check: Keystone XL Would Ship Foreign Oil To Foreign Lands

Canada doesn’t have nearly enough oil to fill existing pipelines going to the United States. However, existing Canadian oil pipelines all go to the Midwest, where the only buyer for their crude is the United States. Keystone XL would divert Canadian oil from refineries in the Midwest to the Gulf Coast where it can be refined and exported. Many of these refineries are in free trade zones where oil may be exported to international buyers without paying U.S. taxes. And that is exactly what Valero, one of the largest potential buyers of Keystone XL’s oil, has told its investors it will do. The idea that Keystone XL will improve U.S. oil supply is a documented scam being played on the American people by Big Oil and its friends in Washington DC.

Not only will America lose tax revenue but we will lose jobs because the refineries in the mid west will no longer be getting oil. The keystone pipeline will only help those that own it.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Really do you think it could get worse? Because right now we have no money and no jobs. The country is broke and in terrible debt. The unemployed is deplorable as well as the amount of people on food stamps and Social Security. What could be worse?

It's time for a real change, a change for the people. Only the people will make this happen.
edit on 29-9-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The 'fact check' article is only an opinionated blog from an opponent.

There doesn't seem to be any verifiable links to support.

The pipeline would create many American jobs.

The U.S. already buys about 30% of its imported oil from Canada.

The pipeline would allow for more imports from Canada.

And, the pipeline would also carry oil from U.S. wells too.

Keystone XL Pipeline Project has the potential to reduce the amount of oil America imports from Venezuela, the Middle East and other unstable regions of the world by up to 40 per cent. This will be oil that is produced in North America, by companies that employ thousands of American and Canadian citizens, under strong government regulation that is in place to protect the environment and respect human rights.

The U.S. consumes 15 million barrels of oil each day. About 60 per cent of that oil (eight to nine million barrels) must be imported from other countries. Top suppliers of crude oil to the U.S. are Canada (29%), Saudi Arabia (14%), Venezuela (11%), Nigeria (10%) and Mexico (8%).

Despite growing domestic oil production, both the U.S. Energy Information Administration and the International Energy Agency have forecast that the U.S. will continue to import 3.5-to-7.5-million barrels per day into the year 2035, to meet American demand.

Keystone XL Pipeline will have the capacity to transport 830,000 barrels per day of crude oil from Canada and the continental United States to refineries on the Gulf Coast, where it can displace much of the higher-priced oil those refineries currently import from overseas. This view is backed up by a December, 2010 U.S. Department of Energy study which states: “Increased Canadian oil imports will help reduce U.S. imports of foreign oil from sources outside of North America”

We have dedicated one-quarter of Keystone XL’s capacity to transport light crude oil produced in the U.S. Bakken region of Montana and North Dakota.

The Canadian Energy Research Institute (CERI) estimates that growing production from Canada’s oil sands will increase U.S. economic output by $45 billion per year until 2035 and that one out of every three jobs created by oil sands development will be in the United States. Several large American-based companies are already active in oil sands development, including the Canadian branches of ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron and Devon.

Keystone XL brings a secure supply of oil to the United States

Along with transporting crude oil from Canada, the Keystone XL Pipeline will also support the significant growth of crude oil production in the United States from producers in the Bakken region of Montana and North Dakota.

This pipeline will allow Canadian and American oil producers more access to the large refining markets found in the American Midwest and along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

The pipeline will have capacity to transport 830,000 barrels of oil per day to Gulf Coast and Midwest refineries, reducing American dependence on oil from Venezuela and the Middle East by up to 40 per cent.

map and story

another story -- it's all about Obama -- the Left Wing dont wants it

Ads to Urge Obama to Reject Oil Pipeline

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

buster2010

2ndthought

buster2010

A demand that will create more jobs will cost jobs. Sometimes I really wonder about the liberal thought processes.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I like how the right is OK with blackmail to get their way. The myths are ridiculous lies the right is spreading in order to stop this.

sources.

Obamacare Facts: Don't Be Fooled By These 5 Myths

Don Lemon: Republicans 'Lied' About Obamacare

AWESOME Vanity Fair Piece on the GOP lies about Obamacare

GOP demands we defund Obamacare to stop abortion provision that’s an urban myth

Right Wing Obamacare Myths DEBUNKED

Why Obamacare Is Not a 'Train Wreck' (Again)

Obamacare: Debunking Myths And Tea Party Lies – A Quick Guide To Actual Facts

12 “Pants On Fire” Myths About ObamaCare

more about the actual thread...Shutdown?: GOP 'chicken' game, The Republican “Plan” for Our Nation: Using Extortion and Blackmail to Get Their Way and
Ted Cruz's shutdown scheme takes shape

Far Right-Wing Ted Cruz Does Not Care About Republican “Grown Ups”

Also does anyone else find it funny that the right was up in arms when they thought a black democratic Kenyan was out to destroy their country ( which also turn out to be birther lies), when in fact it is the white Canadian they should have been watching out for..

You have heard it before.."it was never about race, it was about having someone from another country represent us", yet have no problem when it is a white guy born in Canada speaking for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join