It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, losing my love for video gaming!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

I hear ya man!

I've been playing video gamed since the early 80's and currently have a ps3.

I've never got into mmorpg's, and have been spending most of my time on cod over the last 5 years. (and a few others)
Now I hate it!

I loved the game Heavy Rain, but they chose not to release another. But recently I discovered The Walking Dead by Teltale games.

I LOVED this game so much! The graphics and controls are very basic, but the storyline/stories/charac ters and acting is SUBLIME.
I loved the fact the game was based around a story and characters rather than graphics and vertigo.
Maybe it's just my taste now as I'm getting older? Who knows...

So anyway (from a ps3 point of view), my favourite games are
The Walking Dead
Heavy Rain
The Last of Us (This game really is quite special too!)

Not sure this will help you at all, but hope you find your way again.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Versus
I don't what's wrong with me...

For all my life I've been an avid video gamer and all I can think about was just that, 24/7. Back when I was a kid I used to beg my dad to either buy or rent me a game when I got out of school and that would tide me over til the next time. Hell, I even devoted most of my teenage years to MMOs and put social life on the back burner.

I even had monthly subscriptions to gaming magazines back then.

Now, I'm 23 and couldn't finish any game or at least play 30 minutes if my life depended on it. This has actually been going on a few years now, more so I've even bought GTAV, the game everyone is raving about, to try to rekindle my love for gaming. Needless to say, I got bored of it quickly.

So what's wrong with me?

Congratulations
. You're growing up.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

winofiend
Not much left to do but lay in the coffin and hope they invent tablets that fit in the lid so we can all just prepare ourselves before hand, and get it over with... better have decent wifi tho. Or I'll rise from the dead...

lol, cute. My deal while still in the land of the living is that I'd take a cabin nestled deep in the woods away from everything in a heartbeat right now...but it better have good wifi.

As another gaming old fogey, I find it a little humorous to see all the remarks about it's "growing up". Gaming is a hobby just like any other hobby and it's a hell of a lot better than sitting on one's butt watching tv, right?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Yeah, we were doing that for a bit. I have a minor fortune in unplayed games. Even worse, I have games that were gifts from friends on Steam who were trying to get me back into gaming again...lol.

The pointlessness of it. I feel like if I'm playing a game, I'm wasting time, even if it is free time. I have to be reading or researching something instead. The irony is that I have more time on my hands due to ill health now than I ever have had in my entire life and gaming is a waste of time to me. Instead, I'm sucking up as much information as I can and I don't even know why. How's that for weird?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BombheadBel

BombheadBel

Yeah man i agree, Im playing the old school stuff like Streets of rage, Final fight at the moment. Its perfect with a few beers and mates round trying to beat the bloody things.

This isn't exactly on-topic, but is slightly amusing/entertaining. I saw it a few weeks ago, but had forgotten about it til now.

Iron Mike may not have what it takes to defeat the mighty 'Glass Joe'.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Haha ive never seen this before, I'm not surprised he's struggling though Punch out always used to stress me out.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for all the insightful input. I will try the suggestions here and see if it'll do anything.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Anything you've done for too long eventually loses it's appeal. You've done enough of that. Go do stuff in the real world now. Like travel, get a girlfriend, go on adventures, socialize, join some meetup groups, start a work out routine and spend less time on the computer.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Bah humbug.

Spend *MORE* time on the pc. Less time with real people. You get more bitcoins and less girl germs.

Trust me I .. I know

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Simple, since you are 23, you might have grew up in era where games were a bit more challenging, now everything is a REHASHED CRAP!! you loose interest in it quick.

There is only certain games that keep me interested, Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy Series.. rest i either put down after 3-4 days or just beat it really quick.

I use to buy 4-5 games a yr. Now im lucky to buy 1/yr.

I think it has to do with age(available time etc etc) + difficulty of games(rehashed, casual friendly etc).

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

But you're head stone will simply be your computer desk top box turned sideways. It will say (he loved this box, and since we were too cheap to buy him a real head stone, so this works)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I'm sending you e-cooties right now, winofiend. Yeah, that's right...e-cooties!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
For me to fire up a game it has to have some type of multiplayer and chat capability. I enjoy team based shooters with co-op multiplayer story lines with the option to run solo if need be. RPG's of that nature are fun as well, I wish they had made the Fall Out games that way, can't wait for Destiny.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

- how blessed you are you re losing the love of it.

The freaken games are devised to let you give your energy to the wrong goals.
you may say
'oh its just a game"?

but why it drains your emotions then ?

its just another dimension, you play it in,
- eventhough your physical you dont know -
and just as real.

and if you think i m rambling -
for example, Simms has ' maitreyas hand ' as logo

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

I dont know dude but I have and been going through the same thing. Been playing final fantasy XIV and its not bad game, but its not something that I can play for more then a few hours a day, when I have the time and inclinations that is. If this game came out years and years ago, I would be on it all day and then some. Now! not so much, and mostly because there is not much else to do around here.

Though for you! In your case! It could just be the videogames your playing, GTA is not all its cracked up to be, so that can be it. Take offense dude, but that game gets boring after a few hours. However what you say, it does sound like a serious problem, you should maybe seek professional help. Maybe get your head checked or something, go see a shrink or something. Just saying you know! And maybe you should stay away from people for a few weeks, or months, just in case it may be contagious. Whatever you have, well it could spreed to the general populous and then what will people do without video games?

The world as we know it, just may end. And people will end up doing all kinds of outside things, dont know what those are, as I dont go out much. But I heard doing outside things is overrated. A guy I play online with told me. And he is accurate on things withing a 43% percentage, so it could be true.

I dont know man, life hits ya! then Bam! # changes. I suggest you get a girlfriend, get one of them real life things and stuff to do...Give it some time...And eventually you will be sick and tired of the tirade and your thirst for videogaming will return, if only to get away. Life itself is a game you should try it out. However I would give the game of life a 5.3 out of 10, like GTA its not all that its cracked up to be. Seems to be mostly hype.
edit on 24-9-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

check yer u2us

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Versus
I don't want to admit I'm old and growing out of gaming just yet though...

You said you were 23?
1. You're far, far from "old". I've got a dozen years+ on you and hell, I'm not even out of my adolescence yet. When you start thinking you're old, then something has gone horribly wrong in your head or in your psyche.
2. It's a phase. Did you recently graduate from college? I went through about a year out of college in which I didn't touch a game machine. Then, thanks to our dear friends beer and not tonight, I found myself standing in front of a display case throwing down a handfull of founding fathers for an Xbox and some fun looking games. Now I find the time to live a full life of working, fathering, fishing, hunting, and loving with several hours of gaming thrown into every week. It's all about balance and, whenever there's a major change in your life, that balance gets knocked out of whack.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaRising87

That is exactly what started my change. The realization of interconnectivity. Which leads one on the path of the desire for more in every aspect of life.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You all should try EVE Online if you think games have no depth anymore. Of course, most people quit this game because it is so complex and never ending.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Check out ingress.com

Outdoor MMO/RTS
Whole tribe of mine plays so we are a deadly hitsquad.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join