It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, losing my love for video gaming!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

I too, am going through the same thing that you are, our only differences are that I am ok with it. I will tell you why this is happening to you. If you choose to listen, good. If not, I hope your able to let go soon.

We are coming towards an age where soon video gaming will no longer consist of television-console interface experiences, but complete virtual immersion. This is real. This is coming.

We as humans, en masse, not just me and you (ask around), have started to realize that no matter how fun, pretty, and exciting they are, they simply waste time. Some games, you learn from, but not enough to make it of the level of a time consuming medium such as reading, or crossword puzzles, things that take undivided attention to absorb.

The lack of mental stimulation coupled with the realization of time unwisely used subconsciously is forcing a lot of people to, without realizing that they are doing it, let go of gaming, choosing to use what they took FROM gaming and using it towards inspiring their creative pursuits.

From the time I was 3 to the time I was 21 my life was ABSORBED by video games. I mean absorbed. They were the only thing worth my time. Now I SELDOMELY play my Super Nintendo, my NES, my 64, Genesis, etc. fore purely stress relieving purposes coupled with nostalgic mind alteration, which I use towards, once again, my creative ventures.

My friend, you are not losing your love, you are freeing your mind. Embrace it.

edit on 9/22/2013 by GoldenObserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ah... and here I thought I was alone on this one.
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I grew up on adventure games - both going way back (Apple IIe, when I was 5), and back to the first game I ever bought with my own money (The Secret of Monkey Island), then moved in to RPG's (because I love story-driven games with depth, and character progression), and finally toward a single MMO (I hate the MMO model, but LOVE Lord of the Rings Online).

These days, though? Very little holds my attention. I still play LOTRO, and love it - but the new content is rolled out a little too slowly to keep me invested all the time...

...but I struggle to find things to fill the gaps, too.
I miss old RPG's. Planescape Torment. Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale. Neverwinter Nights, even Dragon Age.
Those games had depth to them, great storylines, amazing characters... and in Icewind Dale's case, some of the best music I've ever heard. Man, I loved that music.

My advice...?
Look around. Gaming has made a real shift toward Indie content these days, and there are some great games out there. The downside to the Indie movement is that a lot of those games are shorter - more of an example of what can be done conceptually than a full experience. There are exceptions, though. Someone mentioned Braid earlier - that's a great example of an amazing concept done well. The Swapper is another good example of a similar concept.

What genres are you into? You say you've played MMO's... the reason I like Lord of the Rings Online is because it's story driven, and because the action in that game all centers around a known and loved narrative for me. Even recent expansions (they recently added a region called Wildermore), some of which really have no relation to the books whatsoever, draw intelligently and sensitively from the lore, and complement it nicely (I had low expectations, but was very impressed!).

Beyond that, though - why not revisit some games that perhaps you've missed over the past few years? If you haven't played Planescape Torment, you MUST. It's utterly unique, one-of-a-kind, and truly inspired. If you like adventure games, try the Monkey Island series - the Special Edition remakes are amazing if you haven't got the stomach to play the earlier, VGA editions, and the episodic content released recently is great too. If you like RTS, there's always the classics - try Starcraft, Total Annihilation, Dune 2 (you can find a remake of this on Sourceforge that is ported to Windows XP/Vista/7/8)...

If you like Action RPGs, try Diablo (1 & 2), Titan Quest (amazing Diablo-type game set in a mythological context, Greek & Roman), or even some of the older titles (Entomorph is one of my favourites, another unique old RPG!).

If you're into FPS... well... you're spoiled for choice there. Half-Life 1 and 2, Bioshock: Infinite (that's a MUST PLAY), Dishonored (another MUST PLAY)... OR, go tactical and play Tribes: Ascend (an excellent MMOFPS with tactical elements - and the best in the series since Tribes 2)...

Man. I could go on, and on, and on... there are so many classics. Search around, play things that perhaps you've missed in the past. There IS great content out there, it's just hard to find sometimes!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by Versus

yup I hear ya...

It seems all games are FPS these days... always shooting and killing... bleh

Give minecraft a try

Mmm. Minecraft. Me and a friend play around casually with a server. Really relaxing except sometimes at night, since we seem to have a spawn next to our houses that we do not seem to find, so there are an high amount of zombies and other monsters appearing.

Europa Universalis 4. Terraria, FLT, Mount and blade Warband.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenObserver

I couldn't agree with you more spot on. Video games serve as a type of escape from dealing with the everyday mundane percieved reality, many would rather whittle away ages of their life rather than deal with one fraction of a second of their real life. I to was an extreme video gamer. I remember countless times where I have told myself I would never give up video gaming. But lately my enthusiasm towards video game has dwindled. To me it started to happen when I noticed how deeply everything in this reality is interconnected and that by alienating my self hours on end from everything and everyone I was missing out on so much more. Not to say gaming in general is bad but its the mentality in which we participate in these actions which determine their positivity or negativity. This is just based on my own experience I don't claim this to be absolute one and only truth. You have to feel for yourself and draw your own conclusion. No one on here can tell you why it is you have come to this, because our life experiences are all different. You have to think for yourself and meditate on it.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I actually play a lot of mind stimulating games, so that can't be it...

But aren't we all just wasting time until we die? I mean I contribute a lot of knowledge and guidance to the people around me still...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE video games, but over time other things hack away at the time one is able to spend on them, to the point that regaining that type of focus on them is impossible.

In other words, it sounds like you might be growing up a little bit. Embrace it, don't run from it.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Versus

I actually play a lot of mind stimulating games, so that can't be it...

But aren't we all just wasting time until we die? I mean I contribute a lot of knowledge and guidance to the people around me still...

I had the same thing happen to me when I turned around 23-24. I think it has to do with what you're doing in your life in context of the games themselves. Maybe if you were designing games instead of just playing them you'd be more interested.

For me, I am nearing thirty and I had a period where I didn't play any video games. For years I just couldn't get into the stories or the game play. For me it also had to do with my sexuality(again everyone's story is different). I had always been a big fan of RPGs but just started getting tired of story lines and characters that seemed to always follow the same archetypes . I was getting older and wanted to see some lesbians for a change. I started reading more heavily around that time instead of playing video games.

Recently I've got back into games and have really enjoyed some of the games I've discovered such as Skyrim, Persona 3-4, Shin Megami Tensei games...etc etc.

I think it just depends on where you are in your life and how the game play/story pertains to your current level of interest. For instance, I cried at the end of Final Fantasy 8 when I was a teen yet I play the same game now and I laugh at the thought of taking that game seriously at all. It's not even enjoyable now, how I thought it was back then is a mystery.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

You need to go back to 2-Dimensional games. Go to your parents' house. Climb up into the attic. Find that old dusty box that contains an original Nintendo. Play some old skool Mario Bro's, and keep playing until you can make it all the way through from beginning to end, with only 1 life (& don't even think about using the Warp thingys.... ALL 32 levels without dying).

or maybe some Contra, Megaman, Mike Tyson's Punchout, RC Pro-Am, Mortal Combat, etc.....
edit on 9/22/13 by BrokenCircles because: Mortal Kombat = SUPER Nintendo..... way too high-tech lol

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

Hey dude, try out Journey on ps3 ( if you own one that is ) Its amazing also the same company made a game called Flower where you play as the wind. I was getting bored of all the Call of duty crap and decided to switch it up. Worked for me

Peace out.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Tried. Couldn't get passed the first stage/world of any MM/Mario games as much as I'm in love with both series.

...However could be attributed to how I grew progressively worse at platforming games.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
As a long time gamer can say it happens depending on other things in life making you come and go from being interested, and as it's happening to me now as well MMORPG wise. I like the MMORPGs as a favorite for some time and one of my preferred games for lack of being stable on my os has shyed me away for now, one I'm not sure I want to buy yet and another takes a lot of time, similar to the other two that I can't dedicate as I want at the moment. Decided to try out RPGs again, non MMO, and have found one I'm really enjoying, while saying, why wasn't I playing before?!

It's called Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines(if you are familiar with White Wolf RPGs, it's by them) a 2004 game, Nvidia, but good for it's age. The company had issues while finishing it, they were rushed, your main version doesn't feel complete and has glitches-especially bought ones(Steam), have a lot of issues you can combat by addon dls and more. Being a gamer, RPG and and video/computer, it appeals as a mixture of both mediums well. White Wolf, VTM, there's plans for a MMORPG to come out sometime in 2014.

If interested, here's the update from earlier this year Vampire MMO...being played internally at Eve Online maker.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yeah man i agree, Im playing the old school stuff like Streets of rage, Final fight at the moment. Its perfect with a few beers and mates round trying to beat the bloody things.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ahhh... for many years I've pondered why I've lost my zest for games.

I used to think of my c64 as better than timezone. The games - for free, no 20 cents a go. mintox! And even though my xt had cga graphics (or ega) that starfox game was addictive and fun, despite being a wireframe vector type game. pew pew take that flying winged thing...

didn't have a mouse back then. Had no idea what a mouse was, windows didn't even exist and when it did it was pointless and ugly.

But the games, death track, etc. endless fun.

The games today are one hit wonders, finish it and then you may repeat the experience just to watch the show. Boring. and as soon as you hit a frustrating part, it's off to the trainers, or ignore it till you forget. Ohh but they're fancy graphics. to be sure.

I think it ended for me when I stopped playing games and started playing movies. Not interested in watching a movie that you press J to jump, ctrl to crouch and a special combo to do a funky move to stab a guy in the eye and then steal his access card. bleh.

Games that are involved now, however, have to battle with my inability to concentrate on things that require me to concentrate. So the pretty things are boring, and the interesting things are confusing.

Not much left to do but lay in the coffin and hope they invent tablets that fit in the lid so we can all just prepare ourselves before hand, and get it over with... better have decent wifi tho. Or I'll rise from the dead...

Wrabbit, you old fogey. I always though you were a whipper snipper. You're almost as old as me. Yes I said whipper snipper, it's a play on my senility. it makes the kids laugh and point.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Found online gaming at 12 with Runescape 2D, I have a legends guild character with 1pc dragon then I found COD when it was 64 man PC only huge maps this was before it was scaled down and made for casuals on consoles. I played in top 10 clans in TWL ladders all the way to COD 2 before stopping and playing World of Warcraft.

I played Wow from its start in all its glory in 40 man raids before it again was accused of being dumbed down I raided all the content except Naxx, then from Burning crusade to Litch KIng in top tier guilds (even owning one before an exp) raiding EVERY NIGHT for hours on end on hard modes for fun. I loved raiding. When I wasn't raiding I was grinding mats or working on my gear or playing the auction house..... then one day after a few online friends dropped off the radar I finally lost interest......

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Just chipping in to say yeah, me too. The video game industry is in the doldrums, too much playing it safe by releasing endless sequels and games that are all basically the same, and ridiculously easy.

GOG is really the only source of good games for me these days, and the occasional Humble Indie Bundle.

I'm completely unexcited about the next gen of consoles, which are basically just mid-range PCs. If I wanted a mid-range PC, I'd buy a mid range PC.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They don't make games like they used to. Games have been the same-ole, same-ole, and have gotten boring.

The only game I've been able to play and enjoy recently is "The Last of Us" on PS3. As a PC gamer, it was very difficult to get used to aiming and moving with the joysticks on the controller, so I spent an additional $150 (on top of the $60 for the game) just to be able to hook my PS3 up to my PC and PC monitor, and use my mouse and keyboard.

Right now, I'm playing my second time through, and I'll play at least one more time through on the hardest mode. Then I'll likely play some "Red Dead Redemption" since it never came out for the PC.

In the mean time, while I'm playing these games, I'll be waiting for some other amazing games to come out. I've got my eye on a few that will be coming out soon. I really want to play GTA V, but I'm not playing it on the PS3. I'll wait for the PC version.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
Mmm. Minecraft. Me and a friend play around casually with a server. Really relaxing except sometimes at night, since we seem to have a spawn next to our houses that we do not seem to find, so there are an high amount of zombies and other monsters appearing.

Ahhh, Minecraft. At one point I used to have several servers running for me and friends. A build server, a survival server, a PVP server. We've built some amazing things like massive amusement parks, I used to have a beautiful 3-story log cabin on a small lake in the beautiful woods.

Then there are those times when you're down in the caves and caverns exploring, especially by yourself, and it's real quiet, and dark, and then out of nowhere there's a freakin creeper in your face!

I've yelled out loud and pooped my pants on more than one occasion exploring by myself.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Painterz
GOG is really the only source of good games for me these days

Many GOG games use Steam. If someone's looking for games, the Steam Greenlight section has literally hundreds of games of every genre, mostly indie games. There are tons of 2D, 3D, top-down, side-scrolling, any type of game, you name it. It's there.

I've recently found a few gems that I'm waiting for. There are also a couple/few AAA games that are coming that I'm waiting for also. Game devs are realizing that the same boring games have to stop being made over and over, and they're starting to produce better games. Slowly, but surely.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Versus

For me bro, its just being older with responsibility, @ 36, I still have passions for games, but just certain games now, in order to understand how we really feel about gaming I think, for me is thinking back to going to the arcades, back when I was a kid, going to the arcade was the most exciting special thing in the world 2nd to going to a theme part etc. It was very exciting and the games were designed to take your money, aka get you to die allot etc. Now games we have now... Are not really designed the same way, there easier and want you to keep playing etc. That is where we get the dumbing down angle, in my opinion. Some of my favorite games of all time are commodore 64 games I loved pool of radiance, death knights of krynn, red storm rising, all the flight simulator game made by micro prose..

Games on console now are different designed for a different genre different age group etc. Grand theft auto v, is something we should shun a little bit in the video game industry that game is designed for a mature audience yet I assure you millions of children will be playing that game, and with all the irresponsible parents out there already, this game will created millions of delinquents as well.. Yet this thread is not titled how screwed up gtaV is, even thou I love that game, but no way in hell would I let my kids play it.. Or watch it..

Anyhow if your bored with video games try playing adult games like poker, black jack etc. I tend to love playing those games when I get bored playing video games, when you win those games you really get the I am a winner feeling, vice versa for when you lose as well..

Anyhow don't sweat it, out growing video games from time to time is ok..

edit on 22-9-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Weird. I grew up with video games, I'm 23, and I still love'em. Sad but true.

Maybe you're subconsciously too nostalgic and can't get over the fact that the game industry has changed? And for me, I think in some ways, for the better.

Also, not to be a dick or anything, but you're doing it wrong if you buy GTAV to rekindle your love for games. GTAV is just an over-hyped and overrated title, it's not even that great. I got bored of (or maybe grew out of?) GTA after GTA 3, which I played when I was like 11. Okay fine, I did like San Andreas, but I didn't get anywhere near finishing it.

There are plenty of games out there with a lot of depth. To me it just sounds like you're not even sure what you look for in a game though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join