It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks becomes latest "gun free zone"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

CranialSponge

If we don't get to the root of it, all we're ever going to be doing is working on the offense rather then the defense.

Yeah, well that's not a politically beneficial approach so it'll never happen.

You may have seen them but there were articles in the Washington Post and on CNN that went into that:

And it will keep continue to happen until the advocates accept that ridding the country of guns is a hopeless -- and unconstitutional mission -- and that the real goal should be addressing the factors that lead to the various forms of gun violence: factors such as poverty, mental health and failing schools.
CNN

Thus, what we’re really fighting about in our national debate about guns is how to stop mentally ill people from wreaking havoc on society. And what are the causes that lead to the breakdowns that lead to the slaughter?
WaPo

Everybody wants the McFix. Pass a law, wipe their hands and pat each other on the back then go on ignoring the continued violence that will go unabated despite the newly passed law.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Biigs

It came about at a time when you would have to have someone, physically go get more people before a crime could be stopped -

7 minutes to get armed responders on the scene. Despite fast cars and radios people still need to be gathered to respond and that takes time. A long time. Maybe when molecular teleportation comes in that'll change.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Silly question, but do Americans really feel the need to carry a gun when buying an overpriced coffee? Is it really that dangerous?

Glad I live in England.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

The event of a house fire is very unlikely yet I have a fire extinguisher. I dont have my seatbelt on because I expect to hit a tree.

When I was a kid some hobo took a pointy rod and killed half a dozen people in a shop on my street and a mental patient shoplifted an xacto knife and proceeded to stab kids with it killing one.

In both cases cops didnt show up until all the excitement was over.

If I dont take defense of myself into my own hands nobody is going to do it for me.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Everybody wants the McFix. Pass a law, wipe their hands and pat each other on the back then go on ignoring the continued violence that will go unabated despite the newly passed law.

I agree.

It's a ridiculous McFix and doesn't get to the root of the problem.

I don't claim to have the answers, but I'm pretty damn sure one of the main problems is the lack of proper treatment for mental illness AND the fact that 1/2 the populace is walking around doped up on mind-altering pharmaceuticals.

The health care system is completely FUBAR'd and the doctors, pharma companies, banksters, and politicians are all laughing their asses off... all the way to the bank.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Silly question, do the English really fell a need to be subjects to the crown? Is it really the 14th century?

Glad I live in America!

See how silly that is.

Yes America has problems. I admit that. Crazy people go crazy and shoot people. It happens and now you get to come here and rub our noses in it and talk about gun control.

Next time a crazy person hacks one of your patriots to death in the streets with a machete will you stand on you soapbox and shout out "Machete control for the masses! God save the Queen! Glad I live in England!?"

Just asking.....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Although poverty, mental health and failing schools are definitely part of it but there is something deeper the USA as it is today is it's own worst enemy. Our grandfathers remember the days of no cars, no television, no computers, they lived in a different world than we have today with little violence, you knew your neighbors, everyone had morals and lived by some sort of ethic code that has been lost through these years.

Money changed everything, not that they didn't have money back then but it wasn't absolutely critical to their survival as it is today, Today, everyone is its slave.

Our code of ethics and morals have been replaced with the code of money, every ones worth is determined by how much money they can generate, those who make less, deserve less. It don't matter whether or not they can survive, they deserve it and those who earn more, deserve more and more and more and more and more and more.

Just read a thread about a living wage or minimum wage and you will see exactly what I am talking about, suddenly then it is all about numbers, economics, profits, businesses, taxes, welfare, there is ZERO humanity factor, none. No morals, no ethics and no remorse. This is how kids have been raised for generations now.

Year after year the world grows colder, greedier, sadder and everyone stands around trying to figure out what happened. It is no wonder we have those who are desensitized to the needs of others, people born in the 70s 80s and 90s have watched the world deteriorate at an alarming rate, each generation lives in a colder, harder world.

In a land with no ethics and no morals the only way to protect people is by laws.

Yup, I said it and yea, I hate it but what did we expect, it is our own damn fault.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Irrelevant (and no).

Leaving aside as homs, the question is quite simple: in America, do people genuinely feel unsafe buying a coffee unless they have a gun with them?

Or would most people actually feel safer knowing that the guy arguing over whether his Latte macchiato is supposed to have sprinkles on top doesn't have a gun?

I don't know.

In Britain we just have little old ladies arguing over whether the cucumber sandwich they have with their pot of Earl Grey should have the crust removed. On occasion they raise their voices very slightly. But they don't shoot each other.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

In America I have carried my pistol (concealed) about 90% of the time for the last 20 years. When in the states and not in uniform of course. I have pulled my pistol out exactly zero times. During those twenty years I have been in several arguments and even a few fights that required police to be called. STILL did not pull my pistol. WHY? my life and the life of my fellow man was not in danger. America media tells a story that the OK corral is happening on every corner every Thursday night. It's to push an agenda (an agenda I think you agree with). However, a vast majority of Americans (I would have to say greater than 95%, but I could be wrong) will never actually be involved with or even see a shooting take place.

They will see it the same place you do, on the news.

EDIT - I want to add a point. I kayak with my son. I taught him how to swim and he is a very strong swimmer. However, I still make him wear a vest when we are on the water. I wear mine too. A vest is a tool that when used properly can save your life even though it isn't always needed.
edit on 18-9-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Biigs
simply saying its not the wild west any more.

The 'Wild West' was never the Wild West! Stop watching movies!
You're more likely to be killed in Chicago or Baltimore than Tombstone in the 1880's.
Continue to live in ignorance, if you prefer, but don't twist truth to fit a myopic agenda.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh good. Now we can go for coffee without worrying about being shot-down by a nut job. : up :

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

It was a metaphor.

Weak attack on me too, you know exactly what im getting at and all you have is "stop watching movies."
edit on 18-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I don't know if you've heard of this, but over here we have "Open Carry" groups. These are people who, to use their "Constitutional Right", go out into public areas ( Wal-Marts, coffee shops, etc ) and show how responsible they are by lugging around a " long gun ", which is usually a shot gun or the like. They say they do this so that normal people can no longer be afraid of guns, and see responsible gun ownership in action.

Here in Texas we have a group that goes to the capital every weekend or so to open carry. Some are nice and level headed while the others... Well, I don't care how much you love your grandson, how about you don't give a 12 year old anything that can even accidentally hurt people.

I hope, I pray, I LIVE, for the day where we don't use guns anymore. I say we all go back to swords and knives - at least then, when you take someones life, you have to be up close and personal with them. No weapons would be great as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

BellaSabre
Oh good. Now we can go for coffee without worrying about being shot-down by a nut job. : up :

You're right. because, as we all know, nutjobs obey and pay attention to the law and company policies.

: roll eyes :

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

It was a poor metaphor and, in no way, helps to make your point.

It wasn't an attack on you...I assumed that you are ignorant to the truth of the matter. Please don't take offense, a great many people believe(d) the stories told in movies, wild west pulp, radio serials. You seemed to be one of them based off the use of your 'metaphor'

It just wasn't true...it helped to make money.

- To the topic; It's just another in a long line of unenforceable, feel-good, policies that do nothing to help the situation. In Seattle, on Capitol Hill, Mayor McGinn partnered with a program(Washington Ceasefire) to start a voluntary(and also unenforceable) gun ban. I'm all for private business deciding which practices work for them but to try and present it as a solution to a problem, is the epitome of ridiculousness, to me. How would this new program, as well as Starbucks attempts, actually stop gun violence? I would really like to know the answer to this question. Would it have stopped the madman who took the lives of folks at Cafe Racer(who is participating in Seattle's new program)? Would he have gone somewhere else because it's now a 'Gun Free Zone'? And people support this because it makes them 'feel' more safe while actually doing nothing to make them so.
edit on 18-9-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
Silly question, but do Americans really feel the need to carry a gun when buying an overpriced coffee? Is it really that dangerous?

To be fair, you never know when a wired Hipster is going to maliciously threaten you with a jack kerouac prose.

Can't get a decent Cuppa at Starbucks anyway.

That's why I do my open carrying outside the Liquor Store on the Highway.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

well I guess we can expect a few robberies to occur in Starbucks everywhere ......

and for many people who don't normally go to NEVER go.

Their douchey customer base wont mind this policy though.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

!!! ATTENTION ALL VIOLENT CRIMINALS !!!

If you intend to perform an armed robbery with a firearm, please choose a place where you are almost guaranteed that you will meet with no resistance in the form of a similarly armed citizen.

/sarcasm

Criminals read the news, too. Why choose a place where someone might have a firearm?

Do you think criminals will oblige this unofficial "gun-free" zone? Methinks not...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I thought they were already a gun free zone shows how much i know huh

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

AndyMayhew

Glad I live in England.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. I have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit in my car as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join