It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does God die?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Imagine a being as powerful as God dying at the hands of men. Imagine a being as powerful as God suffering on a cross built by men. How is this possible? Either he is a weak God, he was a man pretending to be God, or he was simply a god pretending to die.

How is it that God was able to die? How does one kill God? With nails and wood? Either nails and wood can kill God, or God pretended nails and wood could kill him.

If Jesus was God, who or what was managing the universe the three days before he was resurrected? Either he didn't die, or he was not God, or no God is needed to manage the universe.

If Jesus was God, then surely he planned and contrived his own death, as everything is planned and contrived by God. If that is the case, then surely he contrived the manner through which he would die, his torture, his crucifixion, who would see him, who would heed him, his final words, his three-day vacation to God-knows-where, and his resurrection. The spectacle of his death was designed by his own hand. Isn't that suicide? Or it was a lie.

Who can kill God but God himself? How does a God die but by suicide? But he didn't die at all, as he still sits on his golden throne, content in knowing he duped his followers into thinking he died for their sins.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Christians view Jesus's death as a symbolic promise to his adherents. If you noticed, it's not like they beat him in a sword fight or anything; he just surrenders. Christian mythology also states that he returned so he wasn't really "defeated" but just allowed himself to be a sacrifice.

I don't think you will get a Christian to view this as a limitation to their god nor as a paradox like the whole "could god create a stone so heavy he couldn't lift it". It is interesting to wonder why he did it the way he did, though.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
God was not ever born he did not "start" so to speak and he will not finish (die)

the concept of birth and death have a third component to them, "time", you are born at a point in time and you die at a point in time, which by it very nature is a entirly human concept.

However if you remove the concept of time entirely, if you were a being for who time had no meaning then you would just always have been in the present.

That is how i think of it.
edit on 7-9-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

.... OR .... Jesus is God's Mercy Incarnate. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. Just because YOU are stuck in one place at a time and just because YOU are stuck in one time frame, doesn't mean that God is. God the Son can be on Earth dying for truth while God the Father is running the universe. God can be in all times at once.

God is outside of time and space .... you are inside it.
(Like a computer programmer is outside of the program but also inside it because he created it)
Therefore your mind, being stuck in time and space, can't comprehend the truth that this can be.

Who can kill God incarnate? The human shell can be killed by sword or crucifixion just like any other human body. The soul continues in eternity just like a fully human who dies. So anyone with a sword can kill God incarnate. Easy peasy

edit on 9/7/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a god exists as long as people believe in them and the gods of the older religions are the devils of the new ones

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
God was not ever born he did not "start" so to speak and he will not finish (die)

Can you show some evidence to support this? Every single living thing in the universe is born, lives, and dies. Everything.

This "god" of the bible was a physical being who rode around in physical craft, which caused physical things to happen.

So yes, our creators were physical beings who were born, and can/will die. There's no such thing as an all-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing, omnipotent being who's always "just been there" without ever being created him or her self.

**Edit to add**: And Jesus was not "god". Jesus was the son of "god". They are both not one and the same.

edit on 7-9-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Can you show some evidence to support this?

If people had absolute physical evidence of this, it would have been shown before.
So you know very well that asking for it isn't going to happen.
This is a matter of faith and belief and experience. Not physical proof.
And when I say 'experience' I mean near death experiences that have been reported.

And Jesus was not "god". Jesus was the son of "god". They are both not one and the same.

The bible and 95% of Christianity disagree with your interpretation on that.

IF there is a God ... then HE is outside of time and space.
That's the opposite of you, who are inside of time and space.
Like I said ... it's like a computer programmer.
The programmer is inside the program because he wrote it.
But the programmer is outside the program running it.
He's bigger than the program.
God is bigger than time and space.

Every single living thing in the universe is born, lives, and dies. Everything.

Everything ... that you know of.
And God is outside the universe as well as being inside it.
And humans don't know much about the universe.

BTW .. life force is energy and energy doesn't die. It just changes form.
edit on 9/7/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Really? You know how?.....Simple...you chose another word to call it....lets call it Source

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
How is it that God was able to die?

There is no Christian teaching which says that God died.
The Christian teaching is that Christ is both God and man at the same time.
As man, he could die.

If Jesus was God, who or what was managing the universe the three days before he was resurrected?

See answer above.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

And Jesus was not "god". Jesus was the son of "god". They are both not one and the same.

The bible and 95% of Christianity disagree with your interpretation on that.

I can't tell if you're being serious with that statement or not. Either way, it's completely inaccurate. If Jesus was "god", then Mary gave birth to "god". But she didn't. She was artificially impregnated and gave birth to the son of "god", Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure where you got "95% of Christianity" disagrees because I know a lot of Christians, and was one myself in my earlier days, and have never heard that Jesus was "god". I only heard of a small segment of Christians who claim that Jesus was "god", which goes against the bible.

And now on to the bible:

John 14:28:

Jesus said "My father is greater than I."

Colossians 3:1:

Christ sitteth on the right hand of "god".

1 Timothy 2:5:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

And then the images depicting Jesus and "god" as separate beings:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
When people as a collective die, so too will god.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
God?!? What is god?

Faith is forever. Death is.......

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I'm not sure where you got "95% of Christianity" disagrees because I know a lot of Christians, and was one myself in my earlier days, and have never heard that Jesus was "god". I only heard of a small segment of Christians who claim that Jesus was "god", which goes against the bible.

Me too!

This concept of Jesus actually being God is somewhat new to me, and seems to be a new trend in Churches in my view. I was never taught such a thing in my Christian upbringing. I find the idea to be absurd!

Also new to me is the concept that God doesn't exist within the creation but separately, outside of space and time. So if God doesn't exist within space and time, and doesn't exist within our reality, how did he "get in" through Jesus? Why the incognito disguise God?

The whole idea of a god sacrificing himself to himself, to temporarilty die, to save us from his wrath is absurd. In my humble opinion, of course.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

More like when religion dies, as it continues its decline, then "god" will die as well. As we get more technological, and as science continues to progress, religion will continue to decline and eventually become cults with very few followers.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So God both died and didn't die? This is a contradiction. God is not one thing but three things? That makes little sense.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

More like when religion dies, as it continues its decline, then "god" will die as well. As we get more technological, and as science continues to progress, religion will continue to decline and eventually become cults with very few followers.

We can only hope. If religion dies, so will all the wars that come along with them. Even the potential war in Syria has ties to religion, because they are the enemy of Israel.

The sooner the better.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

There is no Christian teaching which says that God died.
The Christian teaching is that Christ is both God and man at the same time.
As man, he could die.

That's sounds like no sacrifice to me. That sounds like God pretending to be a man.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Not pretending.
It's all there in the Athanasian Creed, but the main points are;
1) The manhood of Christ was real.
2) The bond between the manhood and the divinity was real.
That makes it a real single experience.

You really do need to know what the Christian teaching is before you start quibbling with it.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Not pretending.
It's all there in the Athanasian Creed, but the main points are;
1) The manhood of Christ was real.
2) The bond between the manhood and the divinity was real.
That makes it a real single experience.

You really do need to know what the Christian teaching is before you start quibbling with it.

One needs to also understand something about reality before they refute it directly. But maybe you can help me to understand.

Did Christ die? Or did only the manhood of Christ die?
edit on 7-9-2013 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

This is where we get into the doctrine that is called "the Hypostatic union"- which in ordinary words means that they are not separated. What happens to one part is happening to the whole.
We do not say that God died, but we can say that Christ died, because "Christ" applies to the whole Person.

Another point which has a bearing on this is that Christian teaching doesn't suppose that the totality of God was walking around in Christ..
The divinity in Christ is only a part of God- one third.
So the idea that there was no God running the universe because he was present in Christ or in the tomb with Christ is a false deduction.
When Jesus was in the tomb, the universe was being run by the Father, as usual.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join