It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God does exist.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackSunApocalypse

Not really, that's an assumption. It has nothing to do with reality, unfortunately.

If you are referring to the topic of this thread, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. There's a first, eh?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackSunApocalypse

"God does exist"

Not really, that's an assumption. It has nothing to do with reality, unfortunately.

Wow what an excellent response to the OP and this topic.

Oh wait, you ARE the OP.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You make as if you aren't the one on that broken bicycle.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Your efforts (which are undoubtedly hell bent on proving the topic wrong) is also based on assumption. If not, please tell me how it isn't?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You said whatever I'm trying to prove is wrong since it's based on my limited understanding, do you mind using your limited understanding and tell me what I'm trying to prove?

No, it seems that you are just trolling.

I've wasted enough time already.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
trolling
Verb:
1. Fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat
2. Search for something

Yes, I am trolling (searching for answers). I'm sure you are too. If you aren't finding the answers you seek, and you've "wasted enough time here".

I'd love to see you stop posting to me. Can you?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

trolling
Verb:
1. Fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat
2. Search for something

Yes, I am trolling (searching for answers). I'm sure you are too. If you aren't finding the answers you seek, and you've "wasted enough time here".

I'd love to see you stop posting to me. Can you?

Are you being willfully ignorant or did you truly not know what that poster was talking about when he said that you were trolling

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

I bolded the part that describes you.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I truly did not know the "internet slang" meaning, this is the first forum/blog I've EVER been on.
edit on 5-9-2013 by BlackSunApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Redundant post.
edit on 5-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Lost for words I see, that's good. It's probably how these threads fizzle out anyway.

It's not like you gave me much to work with. There's not a whole lot I can say at this point that hasn't already been said.

I saw one of your threads- "I turned a Catholic to Atheism". You said you never intentionally "turned" him, but funny enough, your topic seems to be YOU taking credit.

Well, anyone who has read this thread up to this point has already witnessed a very thorough demonstration of your skills in the areas relating to perception, discernment and deduction. I don't feel I should be worried about your critical assessment of my previous contributions to this forum.

Giggles, is there anything else you want to say in relation to my topic?

I'm still waiting for your proof. Hell, we all are.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This will only be said once....

You are responsible for your own posts.
Post on topic and discuss that topic and not each other.

Posts will continue to be removed...and posting bans are a REAL possibility.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
On most of your Atheistic threads you try proving God doesn't exist through reasoning. And hell, I'm glad you're showing so much tolerance, putting up with and waiting for me to give you proof. Question is, has anyone, based on their limited perception proved the non-existence of God? I don't think so. So I don't have to prove anything to you either, if you so desperately want proof, there are billions of others who believe the same as I, ask them.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sure. I got that. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

On most of your Atheistic threads you try proving God doesn't exist through reasoning.

I have presented a number of cases, which really are all the same case examined from different angles, defending the probability that a conscious ruling distinct divine entity doesn't currently exist and has never been proven to exist previously. Furthermore, I use that case as the framework on which to build a philosophy in which humanism plays a central role as the springboard for proactive self-determinism, which I believe to be the most productive philosophy we can possibly engage in at this point in time.

I think that's actually the most poetic and succinct summary I have ever managed.

And hell, I'm glad you're showing so much tolerance, putting up with and waiting for me to give you proof.

*sigh* People always seem so surprised that I am willing to be proven wrong.

Question is, has anyone, based on their limited perception proved the non-existence of God? I don't think so.

I'll reiterate: "...defending the probability that a conscious ruling distinct divine entity doesn't currently exist and has never been proven to exist previously."

The god you are defending has been as egregiously and outlandishly overwritten as Superman in recent comics. Superman travels faster than light, can be crushed between planets without lasting injuries, contain black holes in the palm of his hand, and fix holes in space-time using his own static electricity. Not to mention stabilizing suns. Literally flying into a sun and stabilizing it from the center without burning to a crisp. That is such a fantastically contrived demonstration of his powers that he literally cannot exist except as a mere hint of a shadow of that impossibly powerful character of the imagination.

The same goes for your god. If a character profile were to be drawn from the most authoritative material in the subject - the Holy Bible - the contradictions would cancel out to the point that a 4 year old's imagined superhero friend could kick his ass in a boxing match. One minute he has no limitations, the next minute he's helpless. One minute he's the almighty ruler who can make no mistakes, the next minute he's mysteriously absent as all hell breaks loose.

To put it simply, your god is unrealistic and a poorly written cover story for the fact that religious followers of such an icon are only worshipping two things: the best of what they are and the best of what they want to be. They want to be perfect, invulnerable and unstoppable. Because they are tired of being human, they are tired of being weak and finite and ignorant. They don't want to be organic lifeforms, they want to be mechanical drones of destiny. They want to be the shining knights of the universe because they are tired of being the peons getting kicked around whenever Mother Nature has to sneeze. They are no longer satisfied with their lives being the toilet paper on which The Powers That Be wipe their butts every time they finish defecating on them. As our world progresses and becomes more capable of instating peace and harmony across the globe, the more we focus on being rowdy and obnoxious and violent and antagonistic. The more opportunities we have to heal, the more energy we funnel into destroying and oppressing, into lying and manipulating. People want to believe in a god because they have to believe in something, even if there's no good reason to believe in it. They need an explanation that won't drive them suicidal or homicidal. Why do you think so many major religions vilify the human condition? Because they hate it. They hate being human. They exalt the state of ultimate perfection because it represents everything the human species is not, every glorious attribute we have failed to accomplish or obtain for ourselves. They hate that they work so hard to sustain peace only to get stabbed in the back by someone who doesn't care. They hate that doing evil pays better than doing good, and they hate that the best of intentions always seem to earn the worst punishment. They hate the psychotic behavior of the human species, and I guess they've decided that being human is tantamount to being a savage. I'm not sure if it was you or someone else, but I was told by someone on this forum that the reason they invest in being a Christian is to earn "rest". That ultimate state of being sounds like the perfect place to rest to me. Being invulnerable, unstoppable, and flawless. The state of ultimate security and satisfaction.

Sounds like hell. Where do you go from there? Start at the bottom of the ladder again? Pfft. In my opinion, immortality, invincibility, and perfection are all virtues belonging solely to the shallow and ungrateful. People who are unable to appreciate having only a little. People who aren't content with having anything less than everything. People who want happiness delivered to them on a silver platter for once in their existence, people who want life to be a perfect white cloud drifting across a sapphire sky with a martini in your hand and a choir of angels singing your favorite songs. People who want to be a part of the Elitist Club, where your greatest dreams are reality. Spend your whole life avoiding the seven sins only to be rewarded with them in the afterlife. Sounds perfectly logical, yeah?

And then there's the people who want only to be happy...and are happy with just a little. A little shack on a beach. A boat on the swamp. A stone hut in the mountains. A bike, a backpack, and a very long road ahead. These are the people who recognize the significance in things everyone else demonizes. They recognize the shadow and the candle, and they accept both for the gifts they bring. Satan and God are two sides of the same coin, representative of the choices we make every second of our lives, representative of the values we take from every experience we have. Id and the Superego, balancing out the cognitive and emotional processes that take the ore of life and shape our souls from those encounters to form a precarious balance that is always shifting and dancing across the strings of destiny, looking for a niche to settle into, looking for a place to belong and be at home. Looking for happiness and freedom and the truth that both defines us and eliminates the need to be defined.

You wanna know why I am an atheist? Because I'm very good at psychology, and every instance of a deity that I have ever encountered has fallen into one or more categories of delusion and self-denial. I'm not in the crap business, so don't sell me crap because I ain't buying it. And if I see it, I will call it. I will.

So I don't have to prove anything to you either, if you so desperately want proof, there are billions of others who believe the same as I, ask them.

I was hoping you would give me a better answer. So far, all I've gotten is arguments from ignorance and circular logic. And the best answer of all: "faith". As a critical, logical person, faith is just an excuse to ignore the evidence and believe what the hell you wanna believe. Ritual faith, I call it. I employ calculated faith, which means mathematically determined odds of a particular outcome should a matter be approached in such and such a fashion. Ritual faith is just saying, "Hey, I believe this because my reasons for wanting to believe it are more important to me than your logic disproving my beliefs. If you had a little faith, you'd see what I'm talking about."

Well, sure! I'm terrified for your life if I see you with your eyes closed, running pell mell toward a cliff. But if I close my eyes and conveniently forget there's a cliff waiting up ahead, I'm no longer afraid. That doesn't mean the cliff is gone. It doesn't mean I'm running away from the cliff. It means I've chosen to give life the middle finger because I'm happier being delusional and suicidal.

But I'm not. I'm happier basing my values and principles on reality as I have observed it, and I simply have not observed a damn thing that points incontrovertibly and exclusively to your god. Furthermore, you have not given me anything to observe to that effect. As such, I am forced to remain an atheist until I have one or more very compelling reasons to reevaluate my stance. And until then, I will not be ashamed. And if someone wants to get in my face about it, well, that's just a demonstration of the kind of deity they are willing to defend.

And I don't respect that either. I respect their right, but not the principles they exercising that right for. Not that it really matters to most people...you disagree, and that's all they care about. I may not be content with disagreeing, but I will be if I know why you disagree. If someone holds an opinion, I want to know why. I will always ask why.

'Why' is the seed from which every other answer grows.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It's all good and well to say my God is unrealistic, but in truth, it's only unrealistic to those who have a distorted perception of reality. A limited perception is proof enough that we aren't seeing all there is to see. You said you're content with being weak, finite and suicidal, I don't think that's true because everyone strives for perfection. If anyone is content with being imperfect. What's the point of living or continuing to strive? To test and to analyze? There is an infinite potential for growth, but unfortunately, not in this world. Evolution and devolution constitute the mechanical axis of nature. And between life and death. It's either you wake up or you don't. If anyone goes through life from birth to death (without knowing where they're headed after death) wouldn't the said person be considered blind or asleep? We can create as much concepts as we wish, but we grow to a certain extent and then, our ability to see, analyze and remember becomes even more deficient. I respect your atheistic beliefs and your methodology to implement a better way of living, but in the end, it leads to death. Death is really what we need to over-come. What people really want is a solution to death, if they're suffering they'd probably long for death but really, are they sure of what such a longing might hold for them if they took their own lives? What we need is SURITY, and if your methodology of proactive self-determinism sheds lumination on the fate that awaits us beyond death, I applaud and urge you to spread it with as much zeal and self-assurity as possible.
edit on 5-9-2013 by BlackSunApocalypse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

So its the Atheists that have a distorted view of reality...

Yet people like this fill the pews on sunday.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You said you're content with being weak, finite and suicidal

Weak, finite, and ignorant. I didn't say I was content with it, I just said that I don't attempt to vilify those parts of my nature. I work with them. You don't burn a book that's going poorly...you acknowledge the flaws in your mediums, learn from those flaws, and compensate for them. If you are weak, look for opportunities to be strong. If you are finite, look for opportunities to expand your horizons. If you are ignorant, look for opportunities to educate yourself.

That's the proactive part of "proactive self-determinism". That's one of the most critical elements in the process of becoming your own god. You don't just let the opportunity come to you, you go to it.

If anyone is content with being imperfect. What's the point of living or continuing to strive? To test and to analyze? There is an infinite potential for growth, but unfortunately, not in this world.

You will never be anything more than imperfect. The key is realizing that you don't have to be perfect. Every one of your flaws is complimented by one of your strengths. Your imbalance is actually artistic order. Your imperfection is actually subtle perfection.

Evolution and devolution constitute the mechanical axis of nature. And between life and death. It's either you wake up or you don't. If anyone goes through life from birth to death (without knowing where they're headed after death) wouldn't the said person be considered blind or asleep?

Again, this constitutes choice. If we want to be better, how should we be better? How do we achieve that? Why do we want to achieve it? How will that look in the long run? Will it provide more opportunities and temptations for good, or for bad? Will we be able to control ourselves in the event of those opportunities and temptations? What precautions can we take? Which precautions should we take?

Questions, questions...and all of them asked for very good reasons. The more you know about a decision, the better equipped you are to make it.

We can create as much concepts as we wish, but we grow to a certain extent and then, our ability to see, analyze and remember becomes even more deficient. I respect your atheistic beliefs and your methodology to implement a better way of living, but in the end, it leads to death. Death is really what we need to over-come.

Ah! Thank you for your honesty. Why do we need to overcome death?

What people really want is a solution to death, if they're suffering they'd probably long for death but really, are they sure of what such a longing might hold for them if they took their own lives? What we need is SURITY, and if your methodology of proactive self-determinism sheds lumination on the fate that awaits us beyond death,

It doesn't. Proactive self-determinism has nothing to do with what's waiting after death. Your obsession with what comes after death hinges on your failures while you were alive. You are convinced you will fail in some regard, so you stake your claim on some piece of the afterlife by accepting Jesus as your lord and savior. But proactive self-determinism eliminates the need for that insurance policy. You have done everything you wanted to do, you are satisfied with the life you have lived, and you have no regrets. No afterlife is necessary because you've already lived as much as you wanted to. Anything more is either fear or greed.

I applaud and urge you to spread it with as much zeal and self-assurity as possible.

Only to those who are truly interested.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

So its the Atheists that have a distorted view of reality...

Yet people like this fill the pews on sunday.

Posting a Youtube Video of a mentally deranged woman, proves what exactly?

If I post a video of a psychotic person who happens to identify as an _______________________ (fill in the blank with "atheist", "muslim", "hindu", "buddhist", "scientologist" or a plumber, does that mean that plumbers have a distorted view of reality?

I reckon you know this but repeatedly post in this manner anyway because you derive glee from it.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No holy spirit came to help her... there were no angels to point out the error of her ways. Watch as the religious cherry pick reality or justify horrors under the guise of us being slaves to a magic sky daddy.

She is a big hint that there is no god. Think of all the abuse that family endures while religious institutions permit and encourage behavior like that.

Let me reiterate. A world in which god does not exist, is consistent with the world we live in.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join