It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria 'chemical' attack: France says force may be needed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually France was first in Libya too (few days after Gaddafis son said that he will leak documents about relations between hist father and Sarkozy)
They're not just a bunch of pussies as most of you think. If you think US special forces are badass, you should google French Legion.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by baburak

And ?

The foreign legion ?

Frances version of blackwater who uses criminals to exact foreign policy who offer's citizenship as a trophy for showing up.

Sorry I forgot what was the point again ?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

They wont need to, jihadists from around the ME would likely converge on any western armed boots in Syria and with all probability kick-off attacks upon Israel,more bloodshed is not the solution to the Syrian crisis, this is the only result I see.

edit on 22-8-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You need the point? You said:

Yep this world was truly gone insane when the French are the first ones who are 'beating the war drums'. France ?

I just wanted to correct your opinion of France since it's not the first time that they went before the US in war. And their army is completely capable of doing anything US does

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well now the International community is now one the war path bandwagon investigations.nbcnews.com... from the link

Experts: It doesn’t matter what chemical weapons Syria is using

Bassam Khabieh / Reuters

A man holds the body of a dead child among bodies of people activists say were killed by nerve gas in the Ghouta region, in the Duma neighbourhood of Damascus on Aug. 21. Syrian activists said at least 213 people, including women and children, were killed on Wednesday in a nerve gas attack by President Bashar al-Assad's forces on rebel-held districts of the Ghouta region east of Damascus.
By Robert Windrem
NBC News

While U.S. and other Western officials investigate whether Syrian military used nerve gas to kill hundreds in the Damascus suburbs on Wednesday, experts versed in the international arms control agreement that bans chemical weapons say it is immaterial whether Syria used nerve gas, industrial chemicals or other toxic agents.

The Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) makes little distinction between chemicals that are on its list of prohibited toxins, like the nerve agent sarin, and chemicals that aren’t.

"Any use of a toxic chemical in armed conflict (including internal armed conflict) would violate both the CWC and the 1925 Geneva Protocol,” said Ralf Trapp, a former senior official of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the Dutch-based international body that verifies adherence to the CWC. “Whether the chemical is on any of the CWC Schedules does not matter."
Advertise | AdChoices

The CWC does not prescribe specific penalties for violations, but its deliberately vague warning of “sanctions” could include military action, say experts. They add that any officials who authorized the use of chemical weapons could face war crimes charges at the International Criminal Court.

Experts are still trying to determine exactly what chemical was used in the warheads in Wednesday’s rocket barrage in Ghouta, east of Damascus. Activists claimed death totals as high as 1300, and said two-thirds of the victims were women and children, but other figures were lower. The White House confirmed Thursday that the president has asked the intelligence community to look into the attack, but a U.S. intelligence official said it would take time to do a “rigorous” assessment and “develop clarity on any particular claim.”

NBC News spoke with witnesses who said the gas released by the rockets was heavy, and sank into basements. Some people lit tires on fire, hoping the smoke would somehow offset the gas. The black tire smoke, however, only created more chaos and panic.

Victims described symptoms that include vomiting and difficulty breathing. Footage of the aftermath showed children choking and vomiting and adults writhing in agony.

But the symptoms are not a precise match for sarin or any other widely known nerve agent. A doctor on the scene told NBC News some victims reported smelling a faint odor of insecticide at the time of the rocket attacks.

Trapp said insecticide would be a violation under the CWC. "Under international law, there is a growing consensus that there is a 'customary rule' that prohibits any CW [chemical weapons] use by anyone under any circumstances - with a concept that CW means toxic chemical used for hostile purposes," said Trapp. "Use of industrial toxic chemicals to kill people constitutes a CWC violation."

The Syrian government denied any use of chemical weapons in the assault. But the Assad regime has a vast stockpile of chemical weapons, including the modern nerve agents sarin, tabun and VX, as well as mustard gas and phosgene, which were used in World War I.

A group of UN inspectors arrived in Syria Wednesday to investigate a previous incident of alleged chemical weapons use in March. No conclusion has been reached on that incident, pending the UN investigation. It is uncertain whether the inspectors will be asked to review this incident.

Although Syria is one of only five states that have not signed the CWC, it is legally bound by any number of other international treaties it has ratified, said a second chemical weapons expert who asked for anonymity, including the Geneva Protocol. The Geneva Protocol was created and signed after the widespread use of chemical weapons in World War I.

As a UN commission reported in June on the first alleged use of chemical weapons, "The use of chemical weapons is prohibited in all circumstances under customary international humanitarian law and is a war crime.”

More from NBC News Investigations:

Al Qaeda leaders wanted to do something big on Muslim holiday
US charges Libyan with role in deadly attack on Benghazi consulate
Pentagon agency under fire for refusing to ID unknown WWII soldiers

Follow NBC News Investigations on Twitter and Facebook
it is in full from the link, it is too important not to put it up in full, no matter what we think TPTB want us in there and in force! Just whose force is not known but I bet it will be the US to lead they way, and then there is Sanctions, what commodity does Syria have that world could put sanctions on? here is the list if you want to know Exports - commodities: crude oil, minerals, petroleum products, fruits and vegetables, cotton fiber, textiles, clothing, meat and live animals, wheat.
edit on 22-8-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yep this world was truly gone insane when the French are the first ones who are 'beating the war drums'.

France ?

The military/industrial complex is world wide supplied by just a few mega corporations.

247wallst.com...

War is big business. And very profitable...guess who pays?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak
reply to post by neo96

You need the point? You said:

Yep this world was truly gone insane when the French are the first ones who are 'beating the war drums'. France ?

I just wanted to correct your opinion of France since it's not the first time that they went before the US in war. And their army is completely capable of doing anything US does

Why ?

Think the French have a 'high' opinion of the US ?

They don't.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Syria's Darkest Hour (Warning: Graphic Images)

I have reached a point where I wouldn't be surprised if CIA operatives and hireling in the regions put on Syrian Army uniforms and perpetrated the attack just to "prove" it was the Syrian government -

If this could be proven it would destroy the current administration and lead to violence unlike anything we have seen so far.

The world has looked on in horror as graphic images emerged showing the aftermath of a dawn poison gas attack in the suburbs of Damascus that wiped out 1,300 people as they lay sleeping in their beds.
Syrian activists accuse President Bashar al-Assad's forces of launching the nerve gas attack in what would be by far the worst reported use of poison gas in the two-year-old civil war.
Activists said rockets with chemical agents hit the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar before dawn.
While these pictures of dead children are graphic, disturbing and undoubtedly the worst so far to have emerged from the conflict, MailOnline has made the decision to publish them in order to raise awareness of the plight of innocent people in a war that shows no sign of ending.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm not talking about your opinion of french people or France. I'm talking about facts

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

tht and give Russia a black eye for being behind Syria in the first place news.xinhuanet.com... from the link

Russia urges U.N. to clarify chemical weapons use in Syria
English.news.cn 2013-08-22 21:12:01 [RSS] [Feedback] [Print] [Copy URL] [More]

MOSCOW, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Russia hopes the probe results of U.N. experts in Syria will clarify chemical weapons use in the country, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday.

Moscow expects the investigation to help remove speculation on the use of chemical weapons in Syria, which will create a positive background for progress towards political settlement of the Syria crisis, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich told reporters.

According to the Russian diplomat, the Syrian government is ready to cooperate with U.N. inspectors in the probe "as comprehensively as possible."

The Syrian authorities also vowed to provide sufficient support to U.N. experts, including documents that recorded the incident in Khan al-Asal, Lukashevich added.

A U.N. team of chemical weapons inspectors, headed by Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, started working in Damascus on Monday. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the team will investigate the alleged chemical weapons use on March 19 in Khan al-Assal and attacks in two other locations, which were still kept secret for security reasons.

The Syrian opposition accused President Bashar al-Assad's forces of killing 1,300 people in chemical attacks in suburbs of Damascus on Wednesday, a charge denied by the Syrian government.

The Russian Foreign Ministry suggested the reported chemical attack on Wednesday was "planned provocation" by rebels against the government and called for "objective and professional investigation" into the allegations.

Editor: Yang Yi
[More]
Related News

Germany urges Syria to give access to UN chemical weapon probe

France sees "force" response needed if chemical attack confirmed in Syria

Germany urges UN access in Syria for chemical weapon investigation

France threatens to use force if chemical weapons used in Syria

UNSC underlines need for "clarity" on alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria
and now to see what Un is to, One plays on the other.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Lets let France lead the way then. And since this political leaders thinks its such a good idea, how about he leads the charge on the frontlines.

I never thought of it.

If France leads this then this will end very well for Assad.
It'll all be over in a few hours.

edit on 22-8-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I expect the outcome to be nothing better than merde.

deux ligne

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
Let's not forget that Russia and Iran are backing Assad in this muckety-muck-muck situation.

I read the part you wrote about Russia and I was like

Then you mentioned Iran and I was then like

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

They didn't do such a bang up job in Vietnam someone else had to come clean up their mess.

Well the USA didnt fair much better did it?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Happy1
Let's not forget that Russia and Iran are backing Assad in this muckety-muck-muck situation.

I read the part you wrote about Russia and I was like

Then you mentioned Iran and I was then like

Perhaps your readers or viewers should be made aware of recent updates regarding un-official electronic warfare between nato ( us subs, ) and russian subs and who was pinged like a virgin in amsterdam.

Obviously not pointing fingers here...but hey...its been chatter across the atlantic for the past two weeks...!

Dudes..get your # together and stop piss farting around...!

EPhWR4d3FJQ

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Manipulativebehavior

Is there even a point in your reply? The US and Russia have had a very looooooong history of cat and mouse games with subs and such going back decades.

Your point?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Is there even a point in your reply? The US and Russia have had a very looooooong history of cat and mouse games with subs and such going back decades.

Your point?

There is no point, simple fact

No Cat and Mouse....

It was pinged as a Virgin in Amsterdam..Stealth Mode was rendered *positive

The med is no sandbox. aka *sh(!) has hit the fan

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

They didn't do such a bang up job in Vietnam someone else had to come clean up their mess.

Well the USA didnt fair much better did it?

Beg to differ the military didn't lose a war.

The politicians acting like politicians threw their hands up in the air and said 'whoops'.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is an interesting thought: How about we let Syria take care of Syria. We can't even take care of Detroit......

Really think about it for a second; Our infrastructure is in serious decline, manufacturing of goods is all but gone and took the Middle class with it. Screw Syria, spend the money at home and let them fend for themselves. I am sick and tired of being asked to pay taxes for other people Countries. Countries which given the opportunity would prefer the USA to be wiped off the planet.

Want to see the rest of the World start to appreciate what we have to offer? Stop offering it. Billions in foreign wars, and soldiers medical bills. Not to mention the torn apart families from stress of battle, stress of being a single parent for months on end etc etc.

Let Syria take care of itself. Many of my fellow Americans are jobless and homeless. WTF are our leaders thinking? I for one am over it. Time to fix our yard.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

That reminds me of when China Inc, plastered the air waves with news of how they were able to surface within striking distance of a US carrier battle group. The deal there is that what everybody doesn't know is how many times the West has trailed and sunk (Theoretically) the oppositions.

Submariners are a secret lot.
That's how THAT game is played and won.

edit on 22-8-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join