It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manning sentenced to 35 years

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

This is sick Wrabbit, and I expected better of you.

DITTO and the outright worship at the feet of *ANYONE* on Earth who is Anti-US....and damned if I can think of one recently that doesn't get the worship and accolades, no matter WHAT else they do in life, is getting disgusting and pathetic.

Worship real heroes. Hell, if people hate anything wearing a military Uniform, as I know some here LOVE to do...then how about cops? Oh.. that's right..they're evil pigs to the last man. So how about firemen? Surly they can't be evil and DO risk their lives so that others may live. That would be a worthy hero.

Some punk that betrayed everything at the time...and only, at the end, showed the class to accept responsibility for his actions in full, isn't a hero. At BEST...he was someone with the best of intentions and the worst of methods to a VERY bad outcome ..not least of all, for himself.

The love affair with anything, everything and everyone who is against this nation is something I beyond sick and tired of tho... so Keep your manning love. It just disgusts me at this point.

* By the way... How many people who love this kid even read ONE page of the testimony or reporting in detail to what was testified TO in the penalty phase? Anyone? Anyone AT ALL pay enough attention to that to even know what was covered, let alone enough detail to talk intelligently about?

I doubt it. Frankly. There might be something there to conflict with 'Manning the Hero' image.

edit on 22-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I for my part read most things from the very first moment, when Wired.com puplished the chat logs between Adrian Lamo and Bradley Manning. I am still busy with the court scripts, because it is a lot of reading and sometimes rather boring.
I also must admit, that I did not read all those cables. Too many, written in a boring language and most things were uninteresting.

I don't "love" Manning, but I think he did the right thing. The Apache-video showed not only a crime, but a very inhuman attitude against the people they killed. The cables did not harm the USA too much. The whole case simply reminded the world, that the USA is not bringing peace and democracy to the people of the world, but death and destruction.

For this Mannng has my

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

You know, I've said before, he had and has my respect for that release and some of what he did in the beginning as well.

At the same time? I disliked him pretty hard before the trial. After everything came out? Well... hate is only held at bay by how he openly accepted his guilt and didn't hide from it. It was very late in coming, perhaps, but in the end, he did stand like a man for what he'd done. Right or wrong. He stood tall for it. It just came too late to help him one bit. That's somewhat unfortunate.

Cryptome, by the way, carried an ENORMOUS amount of material from the trial and much was coming on a daily basis. Among the things tho were document indexes put online by the Army where stipulated testimony and the daily events outside classified sessions were there for the reading. I'm sure it all still is for anyone who wants to step beyond the newspaper and hear the words of the people directly for what was done and what it did in the aftermath.

At least he accepted his part and guilt..and no, you don't sound to worship the kid. It's the people that mount vigorous and even vicious defense of him..when he HIMSELF doesn't any longer while personally SAYING the opposite of his OWN supporters that drives me up a wall. I mean, worship for him is SO strong on some people, even *HE* is wrong. Go figure.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
BBC NEWS is now reporting that he now wants to become a woman and have a sex change!

is this part of reducing his credibility?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pigsy2400
BBC NEWS is now reporting that he now wants to become a woman and have a sex change!

is this part of reducing his credibility?

No, it is not. Manning's problems with his gender were known very early. I just posted a part of the chat logs on the last page, when he talked about this.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Depressing. Why kick a dead dog? The States really really suck sometimes. Did they really have to do that? Even as a deterrent... really?

The country I want to live in would thank him for bringing some ugly truth to light and punish him as lightly as was possible before the pres pardoned him.

What are we so scared of? Oh... yeah... never mind.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

Originally posted by ObservingYou
DAAAAAFUUUQQQQQ.

USA IS SICK

edit on 21-8-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

USA is sick? The guy compromised national security by stealing government documents. This isn't a guy who was trying to highlight violations of civil or constitutional liberties. What he did was clearly treason.

Are you being serious or trolling or what?
Have you even looked at www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
Limbo

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
OK, since the same discussion as in this thread is starting here too I will just repost what I wrote there:

Just wow! How difficult can it be to respect Manning as a fellow human being? How many of you even bothered to read up on HER past before making vitriolic remarks and going for the cheap shots?

Here is a good start:

Who Is Bradley Manning?

Manning began questioning his sexuality at the age of 13 and came out quietly to a few friends in 2000. “He just didn’t feel it was necessary to tell his family,” explained one of his childhood friends.

Soon after he arrived in Iraq, Manning began to grow troubled by his gender identity. He later wrote that the stress of deployment led him to question whether he truly identified as a man, and he reached out to a gender counselor online in November 2009.

Manning later revealed that he had dressed up as a woman during his trip home, with a “wig, breastforms, dress, the works.”

Manning emailed a letter to an Army superior confessing his gender identity disorder and sent a photo of himself dressed as a woman to one of his commanding officers.

This is my problem. I’ve had signs of it for a very long time. I’ve been trying very, very hard to get rid of it. It is not going away. It is haunting me more and more as I get older. Now the consequences are getting harder. I am not sure what to do with it. It’s destroying my ties with family. It is preventing me from developing as a person. It’s the cause of my pain and confusion. It makes the most basic things in my life very difficult. The fear of getting caught has made me cover up. It is difficult to sleep and impossible to have conversations. It makes my entire life feel like a bad dream that won’t end. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what will happen to me. But at this point I feel like I am not here anymore. Everyone is concerned about me, and everyone is afraid of me. I am sorry.

Signed, Bradley Manning.

Manning wrote that he was establishing a digital presence for “Breanna Manning,” the name he planned to assume after transitioning.

Manning, who planned to transition from male to female, worried about being caught and there being photos of him “as a boy” in the media.

Seriously, show Chelsea Manning some respect. She showed on multiple occasions that she has a bigger pair than most of you can ever hope to grow...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Sad day. For revealing government corruption & war crimes you get 35 years. I think those he served under should be in prison for 70 yrs. If there is ever a protest needed it's now. The power of the people should have final say and demand his release, if not then we're headed for some dark times as America is truly lost.
edit on 22-8-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I know that Michael Hastings disappeared. I am trying to show that he was following Manning's case, which may actually have some implications regarding to why he (was) disappeared. Although I think the main Hastings connection leads to Barrett Brown, PrjojectPM, Glenn Greenwald, WikiLeaks, Edward Snowden and several security companies like Booz Allen, Endgame, Palantir, etc.

Feel free to check my threads for more on these topics here are some:

Snowden's NSA Leaks, Hastings' Fiery Car Crash and BARRETT BROWN

Rolling Stone To Publish Michael Hastings' Profile Of CIA Director John Brennan

$100,000 Michael Hastings National Security Reporting Fellowship - A Reward To Uncover Foul Play?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

For all that this young man has done and admitted to I would say he got off better than I thought he would. So many charges were against him and the potential for a longer sentence was surely available. 35 years though.
That seems far too long even. All this excessive sentencing.

I feel so sad for this young man. I have never deemed him a hero but I never wished him ill will either. Frankly, the failure was in our Military. I hope he lives to see the light outside of those 4 walls again someday.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

DAAAAAFUUUQQQQQ. USA IS SICK

i know right? He should have gotten 50 years or so. We don't know how many people died because of his actions. I'm sure their families would agree with you.

V

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There's a right way and a wrong way to punish Manning. Simply due to the nature of the beast it's not possible to release only specific information relating to war crimes, context is needed. You can see this at work with the Snowden situation. The wrong way to punish Manning is to throw him in jail for 3 years before trial, torture him in prison, and then give him another 35 years (his entire useful lifespan) on top of that. All this was done simply to send a message to other potential whistleblowers. The right way, if our administration had any respect for their own campaign promises would be leniency for the war crime related stuff he did release, a few years in prison for the stuff he shouldn't have released (which was very mundane as far as classified info goes), and well... not torturing him, or likely torturing him again while he's in prison.

Personally, I would have liked to see something like a 10 year sentence with credit for time served and a pardon by Obama when he leaves office but that would never happen. He's in a situation now much like those in Gitmo where he can never be released unfortunately because he has a very strong lawsuit against the government for torturing him and the result of such long periods of solitary confinement tends to ruin a person for life, even when free he'll never be able to reintegrate into society... more likely he'll commit a murder/assault and go back to prison... especially when after the next 35 years it will be all he knows.

It's only in America where torture for years and then sentencing someone to prison for their entire useful lifespan for a non violent offense is considered being soft.

Originally posted by Variable
reply to post by ObservingYou

i know right? He should have gotten 50 years or so. We don't know how many people died because of his actions. I'm sure their families would agree with you.

V

Seeing as how they couldn't pin a single death on him... I'm going with zero.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aazadan
It's only in America where torture for years and then sentencing someone to prison for their entire useful lifespan for a non violent offense is considered being soft.

Torture? Torture?
There is no torture in this case.
His attorney never filed charges of torture.
Manning himself in his open court heartfelt apology for harming his nation never said he was tortured.

You are torturing your own mind making this stuff up.
Here, I will provide an argument for torture that is actually believable.....

Manning gets to prance around sex starved inmates pretending to be Chelsea, maybe the torture was in his long wait to get to live out his fantasy?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

You with your nonsense again! Of course, it was torture and it was considered in the final sentence.
Put out your stupid propaganda machine, it is worthless.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
He got what he deserved.... The people in the military and Government that are given the responsibility of managing state secrets should not take their position lightly, nor is it one for the individual to just personally pick and choose what they deem the public should see or not.

There was many different ways he could have gone with this other than just dumping what he was entrusted with on the open internet. I'm surprised he only got 35 years and not a lot more, and that should be seen as a win in his corner...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta

You with your nonsense again! Of course, it was torture and it was considered in the final sentence.
Put out your stupid propaganda machine, it is worthless.

Can you describe the torture again for us that haven't followed this as many of you have?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aazadan

He can be out in 7 years on that 35 year sentence, so I'm missing your point here. Also, what does violence, or lack of, have to do with this?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
Torture? Torture?
There is no torture in this case.
His attorney never filed charges of torture.
Manning himself in his open court heartfelt apology for harming his nation never said he was tortured.

You are torturing your own mind making this stuff up.
Here, I will provide an argument for torture that is actually believable.....

Manning gets to prance around sex starved inmates pretending to be Chelsea, maybe the torture was in his long wait to get to live out his fantasy?

You do realize solitary confinement is considered by almost every government on earth (including the US) as well as the UN to be a form of torture? It's considered one of the more severe ones too due to the very long lasting psychological effects. Unlike say being whipped or what McCain went through, solitary tends to ruin a person for life... there is no coming back from it.

Originally posted by Xtrozero
He got what he deserved.... The people in the military and Government that are given the responsibility of managing state secrets should not take their position lightly, nor is it one for the individual to just personally pick and choose what they deem the public should see or not.

There was many different ways he could have gone with this other than just dumping what he was entrusted with on the open internet. I'm surprised he only got 35 years and not a lot more, and that should be seen as a win in his corner...

Not all secrets are equal. Everything other than the diplomatic cables Manning had a duty to release (as did every other member in the chain of command... they should have charges brought against them for covering the crimes up). On the subject of diplomatic cables, sure those are secret but they're not on the level of say... giving China the plans to build their own aircraft carriers like was leaked under Clinton and the person doing it only got a couple years in prison, if that.

Manning did the mostly right thing, 35 years in prison is ridiculous. As for him getting out in 7, everyone knows that won't happen. He's in the gitmo situation now. He can't be released because he's an actual danger to the public as a result of his treatment. A bullet in his head would be more humane than what he has going for him in the rest of his life.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Manning sent this photo to an Army supervisor in 2010, and it was introduced into evidence at his court martial. He now claims he's a woman named "Chelsea"
edit on 22-8-2013 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join