It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Facts About The Ongoing Fukushima Nuclear Holocaust That Are Almost Too Horrifying To Believe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It was really just a condensed version of everything I posted in the main Fukushima thread back after it happened. I know it's a long long thread, but it does contain much more detailed information than I could condense into one post.

I worked at a nuclear power plant (PWR) back in the 1980s and went through several training programs on nuclear energy production in order to do my job(s).

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Who is Shane Smith :p

NVM a quick google brought up your post.

Shane Smith
edit on 8/20/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks again redneck, you have alleviated some of my concerns.

Wasn't there a forum dedicated to Fukushima at one point?
This info you just gave should be atop that forum stickied.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I am still unsure what to think. I have a read a lot like what your saying, and i have also read a lot saying the opposite. The problem is my level of ignorance. I am slowly learning however, very slowly so i will continue to watch and see how things go.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

This thread is in that forum: Crisis in Japan. It covers every aspect of the disaster, from the direct effects of the earthquake, to the tsunami, to the political responses, to the Fukushima disaster.

In all honesty, and I suggested this early on, what happened and is happening now is really one big experiment. There is no way to know exactly what will happen, because there's no way to test this scenario out without having it actually happen. Chernobyl was an experiment also, as was Three Mile Island (luckily that one came out without anything too severe happening). Each of those experiments was followed up by redesign and tighter regulations to prevent it form happening again. The plant I worked at used reactors of the exact same model as Three Mile Island... with several revisions made after it went critical to prevent the same sensor misreadings that caused it.

My posts are based on my knowledge of the nuclear process, the construction and operation of nuclear power plants, and the chemistry of the components involved. It became apparent to me fairly early on that the cores were melting down, but I wasn't sure at that time if they would simply solidify when they hit the water table or would possibly cause a steam explosion. In retrospect, the chances of a steam explosion were fairly minuscule due to the massive amount of water available in the ocean for cooling.

So far I have been right on most of my predictions.... from the detection of that cloud of radiation above the plant to the minor elevated readings the US experienced to the fact that the ocean was being contaminated. I may not continue to be right, but I do approach things from the aspect of applying what we know about the potential interactions to the evidence as it is uncovered.

I will say this: what you hear from me on this issue is from me... I am not parroting any other sites or other opinions. This is my personal take on the situation based on what I have learned in my years about the processes under way. That's why I don't use many links.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Yes, the radiation will spread out from the primary contamination site(s), but MuzzleBreak is completely correct above: the farther it spreads, the less dangerous it is. "The only solution for pollution is dilution," to quote a phrase.

TheRedneck

edit on 8/20/2013 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

I do agree that as it spreads further the contamination will be 'thinned' so to speak, but is the above quoted phrase really correct in this scenario? Due to bioaccumulation in the ocean species I believe the Pacific ecosystem will just become more and more toxic.( ie; if you eat seafood- smaller fish will have lower concentrations and toxicity levels). as you said. there is nothing that we can do. just Live our lives to the best of our ability. Godspeed everyone.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Ice-nine, anyone?

Please tell me someone gets that reference.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

It is a complex science, difficult to understand because of that.

And the ATS FUKU thread is long and also complex. Here is an (older) archive of sorts in that thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far as the dangers presented by fuel rods in those spent fuel pools?

Over the life of the plants, all the rods that were ever "exposed" in the reactors were being stored in the pools inside the reactor buildings. You see, no one ever came up with the promised solution of what to do with them after they became "spent". Over here we make bombs out of them. Japan had no such program so the number of rods in the pools just multiplied over the years.

Thats why there are thousands of these highly radioactive and still very hot (temperature wise) fuel rods being stored in these pools. It takes years for the rods to "cool down" after they are taken out of the reactor cores. Thats why they must remain in a pool of recirculating cold water. Inside the plant was the safest place for them under the circumstances. If you remove them from the water before they are "cool" they will heat up again and catch fire, produce gas which explodes and makes further messes...

Nobody thought these reactors would suffer this fate. Nobody thought this worst case scenario would ever happen. Now that it has, there isn't much they can do except keep pouring water on these storage pools in a desperate effort to keep the fuel rods from heating up.

Theres your debacle. There is no way to just turn off the radioactive decay in these fuel rods. The only thing they can do is keep them cool until the decay and the heat caused by it diminishes over time. They didn't have a site "off site" to move the rods to before the "accident" and can't move them anyway. Now that the plants themselves are damaged the cranes and water trenches and pools and reactors all have to be dismantled and this stuff (including the melted stuff) somehow removed and ... stored somewhere else.

Until then (whenever that is) its a race against the clock. Keeping the rods cool until they can be moved, once they restore the apparatus to remove and move them safely.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Starcrossd

I do agree that as it spreads further the contamination will be 'thinned' so to speak, but is the above quoted phrase really correct in this scenario?

Its not. There is no "safe minimum level".

An atom of cyanide won't kill you. An atom of plutonium might though, given the right circumstances.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I really LOVE it, that tuna is now sold at my local supermarkets - at a BARGAIN OFFER YOU SHOULDN'T MISS!

Usually, those markets sell local fish, tuna being the expensive exception.. Even the sushi-buffet at my asian restaurant had lots of raw tuna, which was unusual for them, too..
Coincidence?

Wellllllll, I don't know.
I didn't run by them with a Geiger counter, yet..
But I know that I will not buy it!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
How about tunneling underneath? Anyway, this is a problem for the WORLD. Screw sequestration, screw the CEOs making tens or hundreds of millions, screw the bankers, screw the sports stars, this is a severe problem and we need to throw money at THIS problem! Life As Usual is Suicide when this is going on... maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next week, but the future of mankind IS at stake right here and now possibly.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
In all honesty, and I suggested this early on, what happened and is happening now is really one big experiment. There is no way to know exactly what will happen, because there's no way to test this scenario out without having it actually happen. Chernobyl was an experiment also, as was Three Mile Island (luckily that one came out without anything too severe happening). Each of those experiments was followed up by redesign and tighter regulations to prevent it form happening again.

I suppose that then begs the question, who is conducting the experiment?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This thread is really scary so I hope it is not all hype. I can't really comprehend all that I read. I think it is too late for prayer, all that comes to my mind are some platitudes like, "Ye reap what ye sew" "Hindsight is always 100percent right" "Karma". I just don't know where we go from here if our oceans are poisoned.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Bee's dying, fish contaminated, birds falling dead out of the sky, is someone, somewhere, trying to tell us something?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by lynxpilot

Damn, can i as what your experience is without you revealing to much? Thanks in advance.

US Navy nuclear plants.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I remember tellibg people how it was so much more serious than they were letting on and even intelligent people were meeting that assertion thinking that it was actually played up in the media.

I continue to share th fukushima info on my facebook. Luckily I'm on the atlantic side.. but I still am not comfortable eating seafood. I don't think ELE but bad enough to make life not sorth living

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSpanishArcher
reply to post by cheesy

TEPCO and the Japanese government won't let anyone help. They have been so stubborn since day one they may screw all of us.

With almost no coverage by the MSM most people have no idea this is going on. The scale only goes to 7, with 7 being Chernobyl. This is, oh, I dunno, say a 20, give or take.

Part of the reason they don't want any help is, IMHO, that they don't want somebody to find out and report the true extent of the disaster.

A few days ago, I read some post (can't exactly remember where) that ancient natives living on the West Coast in the US and in Canada say that the ocean has changed. Salmon is down by 30% compared to last year and scientists are deeply concerned about the food chain's contamination.

When you really start thinking about it, it all comes down to money. Nobody wanted to invest in tidal power plants, because they would provide free electricity in the long run.

What will we do with our money once the earth is destroyed?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
cesium-134 leaking underground? That is not good news. You might remember that at Chernobyl anti-nuclear pundits(mostly from America) took over the discussion and made many, many doomsday predictions that didn't happen. I still have a newspaper headline that says:

"Nuclear Genocide
Chernobyl site to remain lifeless for 10,000 years"

Animals and lower vegetation have retaken the area and other than some hotspots it has returned to normal. I had planned on visiting the plant site in 1998 however the Russian Federation would not issue me a visa.

So that needs to be balanced with the fact that the left leaning mainstream media will say anything for cause and effect-although many were burned by some of the wild predictions coming from the Chernobyl accident.

Fact of the matter is that predicting the future of something that has never happened before is quite useless. The NRC issues daily updates on the accident and are not politically influenced. It was the NRC that broke the terrible, awful news that cesium 134 is leaking.

As far as what the site will be in 20years no one really knows.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The Soviets used the Kara Sea as a nuclear dump for decades:
www.bellona.org...

And the Americans used the ocean near the Farallon Islands for a nuclear waste dump--dumping over 47,000 barrels of nuclear waste there.

And then there are at least 8 sunken nuclear submarines out there somewhere.
www.ask.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Are we prepared to see this???
It will not be in isolated incidents but rather it will be every where and every day, until even we are no more...Or...
The sun will continue to rise and set and business as usual

edit on 8/21/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/21/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join