It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt security forces clear Cairo protests – live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Egypt security forces clear Cairo protests – live

www.theguardian.com

Make what you will of this CNN story. The Muslim Brotherhood say 200 are dead and thousands wounded.

A lot of tweets saying the Egyptian security forces are collaring reporters and photographers, taking away their kit to stop the full detail getting out:

More from Ruth Pollard of Australia's Fairfax Media:

Ambulance after ambulance arrives at the entrance to #Rabaa, police & soldiers out on the streets en-masse, some wearing balaclavas
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I avoided the most sensational headlines on purpose as this story is unfolding and numbers vary wildly. Story snippet gives you an idea how serious the situation MIGHT be.

The Guardian live updates seem to give the most balanced view of the situation.

This has the potential to really blow things up in the middle east for good. And I think we all have huge question marks hovering about our heads regarding the US role in all of this.

www.theguardian.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Al Jazeera has the death toll at 36, GMA has it around 30...
Al Jazeera
GMA

At the time of this post the Health Ministry of Egypt says there are only seven dead....i wonder if they are just counting their own forces?
42 Bodies in Morgue

Some pretty messed up pictures coming across twitter too..
Oh, and snipers are up on the roofs taking people out....
Snipers
edit on 14-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Reuters is saying that the Egyptian army has opened fire on stone throwing protestors...
Reuters

Reports of the banks, the roads and bridges, trains and buses all closed down.
Stories of journalists and camera men being shot and killed.
Dead baby pictures all over twitter.

Wonder how the US is gonna respond in the morning....

Protestors burned alive? I would post the link to pic but damn...

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Pro Morsi Supporters? look armed and ready for a showdown....

This video is almost funny, at least until the last few seconds...

Reports are that the police did this.....wouldn't it be a war crime if they did?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

in the first video who is shooting, the dude is wearing a balaclava and a vest, is that a rebel or internal forces?
i dont think its internal as he has no one around him, no backup!..

a bus or truck appears and dishes out anti riot equipment to what appear to be regular people in the same vicinity..

this looks like financed groups now getting involved and putting equipment into the fray!

Imagine.. If Egypt went the same way of Syria
edit on 14-8-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

From what i can tell anyone who is in regular clothes and not in riot gear is Pro Morsi supporters, Muslim Brotherhood or regular civilians.

And might i say that the truck in that video is a damn good piece of machinery....all those guys and they can barely seem to phase it. Wonder if it still runs?

Reports say this killing of an EMT was from a Military Sniper.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This has gone from an attempt to clear out the protestors sitting in for Morsi to an all out civil war. The egyptian security forces and the muslim brotherhood are tearing apart Cairo and it looks like other battles are sparking up all over egypt.

Among the growing list of unconfirmed stories at the moment....

6 churches have been burned down by Brotherhood/protestors.

There is also a report that a tank was used to clear out the protestors by firing at them and running them over.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

any live cams or anything you can link to?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thanks Thorneblood and Agit8dChop for the updates!

I had to do some offline stuff - seems meanwhile there were two other threads on Egypt that did not take off either... oh well.

The latest news seems to be:

Egypt's official news agency put the death toll at 149, although the chaotic nature of the crackdown made accurate reporting difficult.

Egyptian interim government has declared a month-long state of emergency across the country.

Nice... is this a test run for martial law in the U.S. and other western countries?

Egypt's vice-president, Mohamed El-Baradei, resigned in protest against the crackdown.

Boy I hope he is genuine and not just using this for setting the stage for becoming president himself!

edit on 14-8-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Reuters

The official MENA news agency also quoted a ministry spokesman as saying 1,403 people were wounded.

No, it is NOT a test run for Martial Law in the United States.

For one, we ARE much better armed.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I've been watching it play out over live satellite feeds since last night, and often tout the benefits of having an F.T.A. setup. It's not like it's expensive.

You have to wonder, though, what kind of hate exists in people, when a guy covered in blood, head to toe, without a single inch dry, is being helped down the street, and all they want to do is kick him again!

W.T.F. is wrong with people.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yea, it is tragic but it seems neither side in this current conflict is anywhere near innocent.

Of all that i have seen so far, the rather graphic images of dead children and people with their heads blown out are still the most powerful. Whether or not any of this has crossed the msm i have yet to see.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ny Times

Egypt’s new military-appointed government on Tuesday named a roster of generals as provincial governors, raising fears of a return to the authoritarianism of former President Hosni Mubarak.
Of the 25 provincial governors named, 19 are generals: 17 from the military and 2 from the police. One police general has become well known for his openly insubordinate refusal to protect supporters of Egypt’s first democratically elected president, Mohamed Morsi, an Islamist whose candidacy was advanced by the Muslim Brotherhood.

Looks like the military is cementing it's role as the leadership of Egypt.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Death toll nearing 300 in Egypt

Egypt's Unrest

The Health Ministry said 235 civilians were killed and more than 2,000 injured, while Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim said 43 policemen died in the assault. He said Morsi supporters attacked 21 police stations and seven Coptic Christian churches across the nation, and assaulted the Finance Ministry in Cairo, occupying its ground floor.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
RT.com has a live feed. From what I understand, it's from an Egyptian tv station.

rt.com...

It's all still very foggy there. While the health ministry says 278 killed (!) and 2,000+ injured, I remember reading that the MB estimated the death toll to more than 2,000.

Another nice country torn apart. Wonder who's next...

top topics

join