It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do YOU think to French frogs and snails?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

As a prelude to an upcoming joint thread which will be written by Cody and myself i have a couple questions for all of you out there if you please?

For all of you that have never been to France (or those that have visited too why not...?), what are your thoughts on France? and the French... Do you think they all really wear berets with onions around their necks and have smelly breath as well as being completely arrogant?

Remember that arrogant French waiter? (Is the myth really true in your opinion?)

Come on folks, looking forward to stereotypical comments with much pleasure...

What are your thoughts on French cuisine too?

Snails before :

Snails after :

Frog (s) before :

Frogs after :

Oh my... after 2 days lying in bed suffering from a pork pie, midget gems and Garlic buttered snails overdose I am again once dribbling and leaving puddles on the floor! (what a mix huh?)... Not to mention the umptions of gallons of wine consumed (in small doses of course!)

Before any snide or unsavoury comments are made, i have lived in France for over 25 years and am married to a French lady, Cody and Mrs C came over to visit us last weekend and we all had a French whale of a time... i hope

Looking forward to all your pertinent, funny and anecdotal replies

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Grammar error

edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Well...I have not been to France but I have eaten escargot and frog legs...I liked them both...although I wouldn't eat snails and frog legs on a regular basis they are fine to have once in a blue moon...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u
reply to post by Rodinus

Well...I have not been to France but I have eaten escargot and frog legs

Hiya Shells,

Thanks for posting

Did you soak up all that garlic and parsley butter with your baguette(s)?... the best part
(that is what actually gets you into the trauma clinic with a failed liver
:lol

I'm actually preparing some snails right now so will post some before and after pics shortly with the recepie that comes from my mother in-laws (outlaws)
(including how to hunt them... nasty little buggers... they go for your throat if you do not catch them quickly enough and can maul you beyond recognition!)

Warmest respects

Rodinus
edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

frogs legs - yes

snails - no [ to put it in context - I destest cockles and whelks too - a british " delicacy " ]

as for ` the French ` 65 million people don't readily conform to a stereotype - in my experience much of the " French disdain " is an act

and when it comes to real xenophobia - the French act worse towards people from other regions of france - than actual foreigners

though my experience is slanted - as 90% of my trips there have been as guests of French climbing and kayaking clubs who have enjoyed or expect a reciprocal expedition to the bitish isles

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

When I was growing up, my older brother loved to go frog gigging in the summertime.
My mother fried the legs like she did chicken ( at least I think she did ). I remember watching them as they cooked, jumping in the pan.
I really liked the taste.

As for the snails...
I about puked just looking at your pictures... sorry. My eyes are still crossed!

My husband has brought frog legs home for me to fry... once. I told him, "Never again." They stunk the house up when they were cooking. I don't remember that bad smell when my mom cooked them.

As for the stereotypical thing... All I've ever heard about the French is, they are excellent lovers.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Rodinus

I buggered up the quote so please read after each sentence that Ape wrote?

frogs legs - yes

snails - no [ to put it in context - I destest cockles and whelks too - a british " delicacy " ]

as for ` the French ` 65 million people don't readily conform to a stereotype - in my experience much of the " French disdain " is an act

and when it comes to real xenophobia - the French act worse towards people from other regions of france - than actual foreigners

though my experience is slanted - as 90% of my trips there have been as guests of French climbing and kayaking clubs who have enjoyed or expect a reciprocal expedition to the bitish isles

frogs legs - yes (Much agreed with you too... with plenty of Garlic sauce!!!)

snails - no [ to put it in context - I destest cockles and whelks too - a british " delicacy " ] Cockles and Whelks are not the same as how the French prepare snails (garlic sauce, butter and Parsley)... spent most of my younger years in a North Yorkshire fishing village and can easily have sympathy for you!!!

as for ` the French ` 65 million people don't readily conform to a stereotype - in my experience much of the " French disdain " is an act (For me this is just traditional international stereotipcal thoughts no?)

and when it comes to real xenophobia - the French act worse towards people from other regions of france - than actual foreigners (Much agreed... a bit like the UK and the USA no?)

though my experience is slanted - as 90% of my trips there have been as guests of French climbing and kayaking clubs who have enjoyed or expect a reciprocal expedition to the bitish isles (Love to know where?), I climbed here, (mainly Chamrousse) for many a year... was even a serious competitor in Alpine snowboarding (Sponsored by Nidecker!) but now the body is a little worse for the wear for "sporty" things like that

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. probably blubbed up how i wanted the quote to look, but i think you understand?
edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Quote buggered up

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I have been to France.
I have eaten frogs and snails.
I like frogs and snails.
I did not like the French people.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
reply to post by Rodinus

When I was growing up, my older brother loved to go frog gigging in the summertime.
My mother fried the legs like she did chicken ( at least I think she did ). I remember watching them as they cooked, jumping in the pan.
I really liked the taste.

As for the snails...
I about puked just looking at your pictures... sorry. My eyes are still crossed!

My husband has brought frog legs home for me to fry... once. I told him, "Never again." They stunk the house up when they were cooking. I don't remember that bad smell when my mom cooked them.

As for the stereotypical thing... All I've ever heard about the French is, they are excellent lovers.

I will give you the "NON smelly recipie" my dear somewhere along this thread... and let me know what you think

As for the French lover Myth... This is not true... sorry to sadden you here, but it is all down to the idea of having a lover from another "exotic" country, so to speak. (WELL! in my opinion that is!?)

Many years ago when i was young and stupid and brimming over the top with Testosterone, i went back to the UK for a long weekend and spent an evening with a pub landlady "pretending that i was French" (I'm Irish mainly)... The next morning she told me that as from that moment onwards, she would only have French lovers!!!... *ahem ahem cough cough*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I have been to France.
I have eaten frogs and snails.
I like frogs and snails.
I did not like the French people.

What did the French do to piddle you off Butch?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
France is a beautiful country, spoilt only by the French.

I know because I live here and have to put up with the xenophobia daily.

I've eaten snails and found them pointless and chewy. I won't eat frog's legs as I have not been THAT hungry.

As a consumer, you are there to serve their purpose not the other way round, so customer service is often terrible. Complain and stand up for your rights and you could be ignored or insulted.

Much of the cheese is overrated too and there's so much of it!

It's about time they were dragged out of the Medieval age into the global arena of multiculturalism.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Ah yes thats how my mom cooked them to and frog gigging a yes to that as well...we might be red necks if....lol...

My mother fried the legs like she did chicken

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Been too France twice now and overall I really like the place, expensive however. Enjoy the snails but not so much the frogs legs, the bistro food is really good I think.

First time Paris, loved the food and culture, however I did find some french speaking folks a bit ignorant with me as I can only speak basic French. I always try to learn at least a basic grasp of the native language with anywhere I visit as I think it is respectful.

Second time went on a tour trip that took me to the D-Day site, cheese farms and Paris sights again etc

Have to say, if you are married to a French lady, you are lucky guy. I like the accent the females have, especially when they are angry, I find it relaxing for some reason (might be due to me having one of the roughest accents being Scottish). If I was with a French woman I would probably just wind her up to hear the words floating around the room with the silky accent, ahhh bliss

edit on 8-8-2013 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
France is a beautiful country, spoilt only by the French.

I know because I live here and have to put up with the xenophobia daily.

I've eaten snails and found them pointless and chewy. I won't eat frog's legs as I have not been THAT hungry.

As a consumer, you are there to serve their purpose not the other way round, so customer service is often terrible. Complain and stand up for your rights and you could be ignored or insulted.

Much of the cheese is overrated too and there's so much of it!

It's about time they were dragged out of the Medieval age into the global arena of multiculturalism.

Loire Valley here Nerb but spent many yearsdown in the South in the Cote D'Azur... wherabouts are you... time for another ATS meetup methinks
(U2U if you wish to share?)

Multiculturism has been a part of the French culture for many a year, but sadly many people have decided to stick with their own cultures as too "scared" and wilp (won't) not "mix"... prefer to stick with the "Chocks away Biggles, we won the war and whatnot brigade...)I used to be a MOD for a particularly well know French/English site... i think you know which one i mean?... Those people sicken me!

I am glad that certain French villages have stayed "medieaval" because otherwise history would no longer exist for us old Europeans?

Good recipie coming up for snails (escargots) sometime during this thread... (and not chewy believe me!!??)

I won't go for the cheeses that are matured with worms, grubs and maggots used) but all in all, apart from the "traditional" goats cheese i will try all of them!

Come up to my place Nerbot... i will change, (try and) change your thoughts...? (open initation)... Not a consumer... i live off what i nurture and love... (i just make an effort and have had no problems for the last 25 years!?)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Degeuelasse!

Å99

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
You want stereotypical comments?

French people are really crappy tippers and have no problems ordering the cheapest brand of wine on the menu and complaining that it sucks. Experienced servers will pawn the table of Frenchies off onto the new guy.

Love escargot. Frog legs are good if wild caught. Didn't know that was a French thing actually.

Never been to France and have no interest in traveling there.

I hope I wasn't being too harsh. Just honest.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by Rodinus

Have to say, if you are married to a French lady, you are lucky guy. I like the accent the females have, especially when they are angry, I find it relaxing for some reason (might be due to me having one of the roughest accents being Scottish). If I was with a French woman I would probably just wind her up to hear the words floating around the room with the silky accent, ahhh bliss

edit on 8-8-2013 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

Hmmm...?

Let Mrs Rodinus (who is French) now type... *my Darling Cherie d'amour... would you like to add your soft silky voice to this thread*

"Bugger that" says my darling sexy french wife.... "I have Ze mush better sings to do!!!! she replied. So off Mrs Rodinus is back to ironing my shirts before i shackle her back to the cooker!!!

HUMOUR...for those who suddenly have an urge to repond because i am crap at writing!!!

I must admit though... whenever i have some decent French chocolate in my hands and that i wave it across her face after a hard days cooking and ironing... suddenly Mrs r goes into (I love Rodinus) mode!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. Now time to take the snails out of the oven...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Is this all you have to say? Degeuelasse! (which means if you translate literally (to puke up!!!) De (To) Geulasse (To empty ones stomach)...

Why do you state this? come on please, give a little more detail?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I've been to France. I found it more 'dirty' than the other countries. More shoddy.

The people were snooty. They fit the stereotype. I don't know if they all are that way.
But the ones I met were. And they seemed to have a luv affair with black leather.
They can wear what they want, of course ... but it was just something I noticed.

They had the fanciest McDonalds I've ever seen.

Yes I've had frog legs and escargot. HERE, not over there.
The frog legs left me cold. Didn't care for it.
The escargot was pretty good .. butter and garlic ... i'd have it again.

edit on 8/8/2013 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I've been to France. I found it more 'dirty' than the other countries. More shoddy.

The people were snooty. They fit the stereotype. I don't know if they all are that way.
But the ones I met were. And they seemed to have a luv affair with black leather.
They can wear what they want, of course ... but it was just something I noticed.

They had the fanciest McDonalds I've ever seen.

Yes I've had frog legs and escargot. HERE, not over there.
The frog legs left me cold. Didn't care for it.
The escargot was pretty good .. butter and garlic ... i'd have it again.

edit on 8/8/2013 by FlyersFan because: spelling

Seiously my dear... ARE YOU JOKING??? MC Donalds????

Which city/town did you go to and i will "try" and explain why you had such a crap time?

>Kindest respects

rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
France is a lovely country despite the fact that the French live there...

Beautiful architecture, nice wines, nice food, lovely language, great cheeses and very beautiful women....

The French tend to ignore the English when we visit their country and we have always been brought up with a dislike for each other, it's a history thing....

Having travelled a great deal the French do not tend to mix and keep themselves to themselves, although I did work with a French guy for a couple of years, he was okay, but the smell of garlic every day was a bit much first thing in the morning, every morning.....

I have been a vegetarian for over thirty years so I haven't tried frogs legs or snails, but most folks tell me that the snails are a bit like eating garlic snot, but hey, each to their own...

If you wanna give yourselves a snails treat, then I saw that Lidl were selling them in their store last week....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join