It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do YOU think to French frogs and snails?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I love the French! Our business has many customers from all over the world, but the French are the most polite, understanding and often, funny, of all of them. And when I have visited France a few times, I have never come across rudeness, arrogance or any of the other stereotypical character traits.

I once stayed just outside the little rural town of Volnay in the Côte-d'Or region, and a few times we wandered into the tiny village to visit the local sports bar. It was teeny tiny, straight out of the wild west (the owner literally stood there and cleaned glasses all night, and it was really like a tiny version of a real rural english pub) and had, like, 5 real rural regulars and no-one else. Other than that, an undertaker and a church, I don't remember there being much else there at the time. We were, of course, polite and not rowdy or noisy, just sat at our table and had a good time. Only two of us spoke a little French, I was one, and it was rusty as heck as I hadn't spoken it for 10 years after leaving school. However, we did our best to order in French, as it is rude to expect your host to speak your language.

At first, the owner and regulars watched us from a distance, quietly, and there was a bit of a tense vibe, it not being a particularly touristy destination. But we said hello when we visited and kept ourselves to ourselves.

By the third day, the locals had started to strike up little conversations with us, and the owner had warmed to us and our clunky and broken French. By our last day, we were all sitting together on the one big table having a great time, being invited to barbecues (we had to decline as it was our last day there) and one of the group was eagerly taking lots of photos of us all with our cameras.

We discussed how they were being friendly and how they had changed towards us, and they explained that they have not received many tourists there, and they only had their pre-conceived ideas of the English to judge us by at first - they thought we would be football yobs. However, they said that because we were not loud, boorish football hooligans, but were polite and respectful, and actually tried to speak French rather than simply speak English louder, they realised their preconceptions were incorrect, and maybe not all English were like that. By the time we left we were all the best of friends. Just goes to show that stereotypes and preconceptions are never a good thing.

I haven't eaten frog, but I absolutely adore snails as an occasional treat - with lots of garlic, YUM! Also tried horse whilst I was in Volnay, and it was delicious (although the blue cheese sauce on it was not that pleasant to me).

In closing, never fall back on what you think someone is like because that's what society tells you. You'll miss out on meeting wonderful people, and alienate others. Let someone show you who they are, and then judge them accordingly.

Oh, and a funny twist to our visit to Volnay - the track-suited chap who was having a whale of a time taking lots of photographs? We found out a little later that he was a blind as a bat.

And the pictures he took were perfect.

edit on 8/8/2013 by dogsounds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I enjoy a good escargot and found the French, when I visited there, to be not unlike the people of any other country (including the US) in terms of behavior. Some were rude, some were passably nice. However, I wouldn't say that I ran into any that were actually what I would call friendly. French waiters though--holy crap, they were rude and I think that is quite possibly an accurate stereotype. In example, a few friends of mine and I went to a cafe on the Rue de Charles de Gaulle and we all ordered bottles of Orangina. The waiter cursed us out in French. When he came back with the bottles, he opened each one by sticking it between his legs just below his crotch, popping the top off pretty violently and then slamming each of the bottles down on the table. It was quite plainly a terrible temper tantrum perpetrated by a grown man v. a handful of young teenage girls from the US (we were 13 years old and trying to be very polite). Been 30 years and I still remember that waiter's face so yeah, left a heck of an impression. As much as I do not like stereotyping, I have to admit that his behavior was so over the top and tasteless that it definitely tainted my opinion of France. Incredibly short sighted on the cafe and waiter's part. I still know those girls from my youth and not a single one of us wants to ever return to France. Nor have we forgotten that epically rude waiter. He actually terrified us.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Never been across the ocean. Too many $$$$$.

I never thought of the French as arrogant, although our French Canadians seem to have that reputation.

I've also heard that our French aren't "real" French, because they're not from France.

Love escargot in mushroom caps with garlic butter. Mmmmmmm.
Hard to get my head around those cute little frogs getting eaten though.

What I know of French cuisine is that's it's natural food with herbs. I could be completely wrong there, that's just info off the cooking channel on tv. It looks very tasty.
I've also heard French women don't get fat. Must be smarter eaters

Maybe someday I'll visit. Lots of places I'd like to see....

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I've never been to France. I do love Frog Legs and Escargot, however. I've never had any desire to really go there. Like others I've heard that the people are rude and the cities are dirty.

I have, however lived amongst the French Canadians in the largest franco-canadian settlement outside of Quebec in St. Boniface, Winnipeg, MB. I found French Canadians very friendly. Although I hear they can be kind of snooty in Quebec itself.

My fiance has travelled through France several times and he's not at all a fan.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
French waiters though--holy crap, they were rude and I think that is quite possibly an accurate stereotype.

Thats' funny, that's the only time that I've met your steroetypical arrogant Frenchman, it was a waiter in Paris. I wonder if they play up to it to make it more of a holiday experience.

I liked the snails, lovely. I haven't had frogs legs, but I have tried steak tartare ( raw ground beef)...that was interesting...chewey and tangy, it was spread on toast.

As for the girls, I honestly believe that the French have an ugly curfew, there are just no ugly girls on the streets ( sorry if this is a bit un-PC).

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thought I've never been to France in the classical sense, I've dated two men from France.

Does that count?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Been there countless times, so feel qualified to comment:

Snails.....Depending on whether you are in Northern France or Southern France, they are either like small portions of garlicky snot served in numerous tiny shells, or a couple of medium portions of garlicky snot served in bigger shells.

Frogs Legs.....Well it's the back end of a frog innit, certainly not as appetising as chicken drumsticks and that's a fact, god only knows what it tastes like, eating amphibians is a step too far for me!

TBH the French eat some really ghastly stuff.....Check out Ris De Veau for another Gallic delicacy!

French Waiters.....Well I wouldn't say their waiters are any worse than any others, but I would say that the French in general have a special knack for 'sharing' when they are having a bad day!

edit on 8-8-2013 by squarehead666 because: s&p/content

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Hi Folks,

As a prelude to an upcoming joint thread which will be written by Cody and myself i have a couple questions for all of you out there if you please?

For all of you that have never been to France (or those that have visited too why not...?), what are your thoughts on France? and the French... Do you think they all really wear berets with onions around their necks and have smelly breath as well as being completely arrogant?

Remember that arrogant French waiter? (Is the myth really true in your opinion?)

Come on folks, looking forward to stereotypical comments with much pleasure...

What are your thoughts on French cuisine too?

Snails before :

Snails after :

Frog (s) before :

Frogs after :

Oh my... after 2 days lying in bed suffering from a pork pie, midget gems and Garlic buttered snails overdose I am again once dribbling and leaving puddles on the floor! (what a mix huh?)... Not to mention the umptions of gallons of wine consumed (in small doses of course!)

Before any snide or unsavoury comments are made, i have lived in France for over 25 years and am married to a French lady, Cody and Mrs C came over to visit us last weekend and we all had a French whale of a time... i hope

Looking forward to all your pertinent, funny and anecdotal replies

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Grammar error

edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

I would jump at the change to munch down on some juicy garlicized fried snails but
I would be very slow to go anywhere near any slimy frogs and their even slimier legses.

je parle le francais comme une vache espanol!
(et je parle l'espanol comme une vache francais!).

I speak English like a frog from the pyrenees with a snail in it's shell
caught in it's throat, choking on it's croak!

I actually drove diagonally across France from Calais to northern Italy. it is the most beautiful
country/countryside I have seen.
edit on 8-8-2013 by TopsyTurvyOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was in Paris. And comparing it was one of the better cities. You can rent bikes everywhere. You can hope on the subway and go see Versigh. Lots to see and do. London had more to see and do but it was crowded and dirty and much of it was modernized, wasn't left in it's historic state which is sad. Rome there's a lot to see as well, but it's a bit dirty and disorganized. But I think part of it is for Paris we've built it up to be this BIG DEAL because it's a big tourist destination. But it's just people in a city. Think of it like San fransisco or something. Lots of tourists but the city itself, just regular people living there trying to make a living. As for the food, it's better than rome and better than london. They're food is excellent. Problem is it's all in French. Oh and go see the Loov if you go there.
edit on 10-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Glad to see the culture and language rubbed off on you.

Reckon Paris may have just a tad more history than San Francisco though.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

hehe, had to laugh at your spelling of the Louvre Spartacus.. "Loov"

You gave me a great start to the day

You know what a "Loo" is in the UK?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Alright now.......
What mischief are you up to Rodinus?
Are you feeling "froggy"?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Rodinus

Alright now.......
What mischief are you up to Rodinus?
Are you feeling "froggy"?

Good morning my dear...

You could say that! We had a massive snail overdose last night celebrating my sons birthday... too much garlic
(and doing it all over again next weekend!)

Methinks that more coffee is needed!

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I am somewhat involved in the world of cuisine, knowing chefs like David Bull, Stephen Pyles, and Dean Farrin. So from the standpoint of cuisine and wine.....I am totally with you. Although I am not a fan of escargot, I have been known to enjoy a few with a glass of Pinot Noir.

But my redneck side.....it recognizes those frog legs. Sho 'nuff I do!

I have met a few French who were arrogant. I have met a few who weren't. Like all other humans, the French have a little of everything. None of us truly live up to the stereotypes.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
Oh and go see the Loov if you go there.
edit on 10-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

Louvre*

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I like the dirty looks you get for ordering decaf coffee

Snails gross
frogs good!

Oh if anyone is going dont buy white shoes

edit on 13-8-2013 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
escargot, and frogs legs yes had both of those in france. lived there for a short time. found the french on the whole very rough and not at all refined, was quite happy to leave, and not a place I want to return to for those reasons.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
I like the dirty looks you get for ordering decaf coffee

Snails gross
frogs good!

Oh if anyone is going dont buy white shoes

edit on 13-8-2013 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

I typically do not appreciate French cuisine as much as the other European cuisines (i am odd....i think German food is better, and only paled by Italian food).

However, when it comes to coffee...the french have it right. I only drink French Roast beans brewed in a french press while at home. At work i sacrifice a bit and brew through my Keurig.

Decaf coffee is for people without a tongue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join