It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do YOU think to French frogs and snails?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Rodinus

Hmmm. It would appear that she has developed a wrinkle.

I am having trouble figuring out where it begins and ends though.

Just give that wrinkle a good old pat... and ride on the waves!!
(you will find where the Tsunami ends!)

Kindest respects

rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Went to France when I was young, just as a passing through visit with my family. I actually did speak some basic French at the time (for some weird reason, I was in school in Saudi Arabia, but they had us take French.... ??? )

I noticed very quickly that it was better to speak no French at all, rather than try to speak basic French to them. I guess they feel you are murdering the language. I think the language is beautiful, the food is wonderful, and the architecture and countryside is beautiful, but the people leave a lot to be desired as a whole (though I did meet very nice exceptions)...and the cities seemed dirty and smelly, and I wasn't even ever in Paris. (I've heard it is worse).

Still, I'd go back sometime, and see it with adult eyes. Frogs and snails can be great if cooked right, but not easy to get just right. It's like seafood, too little and taste is off, too much and becomes like rubber.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Hey Rod!

French people are cool- my dad is 3/4 French. I'm cool with frogs and snails, not a biggie (although you should really try frog legs lightly battered and fried- numma). I've never seen a Frenchman wearing a beret anywhere but on TV and movies, and the snooty French waiter- that dude is real, a real jackwipe!

My favorite thing about the French is their appreciation of wine (member of the Wino club here). I grew up drinking wine with meals from the time I was still what most would consider a child. I used to love to sit next to my great uncle Maurice at dinner because he would get drunk and seemingly forget every word of English he ever learned and confound half the people at the table while the other half laughed til they were falling over- good times!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Rod tells me that I speak French like a Spanish donkey

Cheers mate

Cody

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Hi littled

The wine Rods family make is divine

But the red champagne is to die for

Talking of which my shipment hasn't arrived yet Rod
Pull your sodding finger out

Cody

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

I have been to France.
I have eaten frogs and snails.
I like frogs and snails.
I did not like the French people.

What did the French do to piddle you off Butch?

Kindest respects

Rod

Not too much. I didn't appreciate their attitude. I can speak some French and thought that might make things a bit easier, but they seem to look down their nose at all tourists.

Quite upsetting this is!... because of a tit headed waiter, everyone is put in the same bucket!!!... (sometimes it can also be put down to the way the stereoptypical tourist behaves too!
)... Not that i am saying that this is the case with you Butcherguy!!!

BUT... as i said... it just takes one person... and afterwards the whole basket is rotten afterwards...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Word added

edit on 8-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Have just woken up after my French Siesta... Forgive my crap writing please?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Hi littled

Cody

I need a new shipment of WD40 Cody!!!... my finger is stuck down the bottle up to the knuckle trying to scrape the reliquates out of the bottom since i have stopped drinking!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Rodinus

Hey Rod!

French people are cool- my dad is 3/4 French. I'm cool with frogs and snails, not a biggie (although you should really try frog legs lightly battered and fried- numma). I've never seen a Frenchman wearing a beret anywhere but on TV and movies, and the snooty French waiter- that dude is real, a real jackwipe!

My favorite thing about the French is their appreciation of wine (member of the Wino club here). I grew up drinking wine with meals from the time I was still what most would consider a child. I used to love to sit next to my great uncle Maurice at dinner because he would get drunk and seemingly forget every word of English he ever learned and confound half the people at the table while the other half laughed til they were falling over- good times!

My dear...

i am considering asking the Mods if i can start up a wine appreciation thread here...

*Hic..... BUUUURRRPPPPP*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Went to France when I was young, just as a passing through visit with my family. I actually did speak some basic French at the time (for some weird reason, I was in school in Saudi Arabia, but they had us take French.... ??? )

I noticed very quickly that it was better to speak no French at all, rather than try to speak basic French to them. I guess they feel you are murdering the language. I think the language is beautiful, the food is wonderful, and the architecture and countryside is beautiful, but the people leave a lot to be desired as a whole (though I did meet very nice exceptions)...and the cities seemed dirty and smelly, and I wasn't even ever in Paris. (I've heard it is worse).

Still, I'd go back sometime, and see it with adult eyes. Frogs and snails can be great if cooked right, but not easy to get just right. It's like seafood, too little and taste is off, too much and becomes like rubber.

I bet you visited Marseille Gazrok?? or the South??

Kindest respects

Rodinus

*Back to being jumped on by 5 French maids*

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I've met French-Canadian tourists that come over to the west coast of Canada in the summer. Never had any problem with them. They were always kind to me.

Stereotypes are like racism, usually a load of garbage.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Hi littled

Cody

*Crosses arms and taps foot impatiently*
Nobody said there were to be shipments of wine.....
Where is mine?

Rooooooooodinuuuuuusssssss..........

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Lille, in the North. Was just for about half a day. I remember we took a train for part of the way there and back, before going back up to Amsterdam. Mom wanted to go to Paris, but my father didn't want to go as far, so that was the compromise. Of course, I was a tween at the time, so not exactly kept up on the travel plans.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Rodinus

Lille, in the North. Was just for about half a day. I remember we took a train for part of the way there and back, before going back up to Amsterdam. Mom wanted to go to Paris, but my father didn't want to go as far, so that was the compromise. Of course, I was a tween at the time, so not exactly kept up on the travel plans.

You must have frozen your nuts off up there in Lille Gaz!!??

Great place for chips and sausages though and the people are wonderful!

Now that you are older, you need to come back and do some decent wine tasting in my area!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Hi littled

Cody

*Crosses arms and taps foot impatiently*
Nobody said there were to be shipments of wine.....
Where is mine?

Rooooooooodinuuuuuusssssss..........

If you promise to burn all (YES I MEAN AALLL of your rolling pins!!!) i might just send you a pallet of 500 bottles and a straw across!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I have been to France.
I have eaten frogs and snails.
I like frogs and snails.
I did not like the French people.

You must have been in a city

I've just got back from meeting Rod and his wonderful family. I can say hand on heart that the people of the village he lives in were were nothing if not polite, courteous and patient, every place we visited I was treated with respect and felt at home.

Thanks again Rod see you soon

Cody

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

*Shakes head*
Nope, just can't want to!

*Loads up grandkid in the car* We're off to the liquor store. Naynay, tell Rodinus he's a big old meanie!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yup.

Been to Paris a couple of years back. I would NEVER take a woman to Paris. It is NOT romantic in any way. Ok, maybe at night the Eiffel Tower is pretty.

Paris was even dirtier than Chisnau, Moldova. Moldova is the poorest country in Europe, and it's people are treated how we in America treat illegal Mexican immigrants.

I saw a guy laying on the sidewalk, rotten food strewn around him. Three days in a row he never moved. I think he might have been dead.

The food...oh the food. The food was horrible. Unless you were willing to pay out the nose at a fancy bistro, you were going to be getting really bad peasant food. The "table wine" was worse than some of that cheap Carlo Rossi in those glass jugs for $5. Spain had MUCH better "table wine".

Our taxi driver from the airport tried to screw us over by driving in circles. I noticed every time his GPS told him to make a right turn, he'd take a left. It wasn't until I said a few words in French to my companions that he straightened up his act and got us to our "hotel". I use that term loosely.

I had to go to a hospital in Paris, and sadly that was the best experience I had. The doctors, nurses and staff were all quite friendly and I got good care. You know a place sucks when the hospital is the highlight.

Oh, the Mona Lisa is tiny. It's very small, faded, and if you can fight your way through the hordes of Asian tourists, you'll be greeted with a barricade that keeps you at least 15 feet away. Not. Impressed.

All in all, Paris was dirty, drab, smelly, congested and a total let down. I'd take Rome or Barcelona ANY day of the week. At least the Italians have a sense of humor.

EDIT TO ADD:
And yes, I was with some people that knew Paris. My little sister was already in Paris when I arrived and had met up with some locals off a couch surfing website. If it wasn't for those two guys, I would have never had a decent meal in Paris.

And apparently Parisians have never heard of mead before. I brought a bottle of some locally produced mead to share (assuming that French people dug things like wine). For god's sake people, mead is one of the oldest alcoholic beverages -- dating back to Sumeria! After trying to explain what mead was, I finally said: "OK, it's basically honey-wine, OK?"

*facepalm*
edit on 8-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yup.

Been to Paris a couple of years back. I would NEVER take a woman to Paris. It is NOT romantic in any way. Ok, maybe at night the Eiffel Tower is pretty.

Paris was even dirtier than Chisnau, Moldova. Moldova is the poorest country in Europe, and it's people are treated how we in America treat illegal Mexican immigrants.

I saw a guy laying on the sidewalk, rotten food strewn around him. Three days in a row he never moved. I think he might have been dead.

The food...oh the food. The food was horrible. Unless you were willing to pay out the nose at a fancy bistro, you were going to be getting really bad peasant food. The "table wine" was worse than some of that cheap Carlo Rossi in those glass jugs for $5. Spain had MUCH better "table wine".

Our taxi driver from the airport tried to screw us over by driving in circles. I noticed every time his GPS told him to make a right turn, he'd take a left. It wasn't until I said a few words in French to my companions that he straightened up his act and got us to our "hotel". I use that term loosely.

I had to go to a hospital in Paris, and sadly that was the best experience I had. The doctors, nurses and staff were all quite friendly and I got good care. You know a place sucks when the hospital is the highlight.

Oh, the Mona Lisa is tiny. It's very small, faded, and if you can fight your way through the hordes of Asian tourists, you'll be greeted with a barricade that keeps you at least 15 feet away. Not. Impressed.

All in all, Paris was dirty, drab, smelly, congested and a total let down. I'd take Rome or Barcelona ANY day of the week. At least the Italians have a sense of humor.

EDIT TO ADD:
And yes, I was with some people that knew Paris. My little sister was already in Paris when I arrived and had met up with some locals off a couch surfing website. If it wasn't for those two guys, I would have never had a decent meal in Paris.

And apparently Parisians have never heard of mead before. I brought a bottle of some locally produced mead to share (assuming that French people dug things like wine). For god's sake people, mead is one of the oldest alcoholic beverages -- dating back to Sumeria! After trying to explain what mead was, I finally said: "OK, it's basically honey-wine, OK?"

*facepalm*
edit on 8-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

Agreed... Paris and Marseille suck big time... even my wife says so!

Go to the countryside or the provence areas... nothing in comparison!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

if you are married to a French lady, you are lucky guy. I like the accent the females have, especially when they are angry, I find it relaxing for some reason (might be due to me having one of the roughest accents being Scottish).

A Scots accent in a woman's mouth can be a very beautiful thing. Speaking as a man an' all.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

The French have never won a war!

Never heard of this guy?

How about this guy?

Not even this guy?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join