It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If I were a scientist, my goal would be to create a human with the abilities to fly and breath underwater and on land at will. be fast, strong with various array of eyesight. of course this would be taken over by military.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

I find it ironic that the U.S. restricts stem cell research for medical reasons, but allows weaponizing of human cells.
"sensors for chem/biodefense" does not sound like a weapon. It sounds like developing cell lines to be used as detectors for the presence of chemical and biological weapons.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

screw it.....i'm gonna hazard a guess here...

since it's DARPA, at the helm of this, i'm gonna guess the point of this would be to engineer better soldiers.

it's funny how closely our reality is playing out like the fictional history of the star trek universe....think about it...genetically-engineered soldiers, oppressive police states, next we'll have WW3, and a eugenics war....i hope i'm not around to see any of it..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

It doesn't say they are adding a chromosome.

That's not how DNA works.

It says they are looking at making artificial ones. Presumably for health benefits and performance boosts.

It's genetic conditioning. We've been doing it on a small scale for years.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

screw it.....i'm gonna hazard a guess here...

since it's DARPA, at the helm of this, i'm gonna guess the point of this would be to engineer better soldiers.

Yes, that is the logical conclusion....most of us can see that. Why some here
continue with shrill voices saying "it aint so" is beyond me.
(Well, actually....hmmm)

Its commonly known that DAPRA has a 2 billion dollar budget soley for the
purpose of human enhancement. Here is some more info on that subject.
www.bu.edu...

Take for instance the project on limb regeneration.

the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is funding research of cellular and molecular systems that allow certain animals to regenerate lost tissue. Could humans regrow their limbs like salamanders do?

Coordinating the DARPA effort is ........, research professor of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and director of the Center for Pre-Clinical Tissue Engineering. The research team also includes:

......, a biologist who studies the regenerative potential of cells at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell

...... an immunologist that studies 'super-healer' mice from The Wistar Institute

..... a stem cell and retinoids expert from Cornell Medical School

• Two salamander researchers, ......
Sharing ideas and experimental information the team works together toward a major goal, human limb regeneration. "DARPA would like us to come up with some sort of topical treatment that you could give a wounded soldier on the battlefield or shortly after and get them healing along a regenerative pathway," Badylak said in The San Diego Union-Tribune on October 12, 2006.

All slides cleared for public release
proceedings.ndia.org...

Unclassified 2013 DARPA budget release
www.darpa.mil/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147484865

For those who would like a peek at the synthetic biology cell rendering
( I must admit it is cool to look at and realize the technology there)
DARPA Living Foundries (complete with rendering of synthetic biology) Approved for Public Release
www.darpa.mil/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147486475‎

'Super soldiers': The quest for the ultimate human killing machine

It may seem clear that if you could create a man with no scruples, who feels little pain and no fear, you would have an excellent fighting machine, but this may be a case of be careful what you wish for. We get scared for a reason – to avoid danger to ourselves and others. Fatigue may force us to rest before sustaining damaging injury. Even post-traumatic stress disorder may have a beneficial role. Moral scruples help soldiers to act as an effective team – in battle, troops will always say they are fighting for their mates before Queen and country.

www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 1-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Right, the source SBIR does not say "47th chromosome" , it is the HAC that involves
the use of the 47th chromosome
The source OP took that from Wikipedia ( and it IS accurate SEE BELOW)

Hopefully you know what a vector is, however if not I will try and explain that to you also.

Here, some of you are having a hard time with this, so I looked it up for you maybe
you can take a moment to read this, understand HAC, using it as a vector,
which is what the OP says and its accurate.

Human Artificial Chromosome (HAC) David Kwon and Zyvan Wesley Basic Information First discovered in Western Reserve University School of Medicine at 1997.

HAC is a microchromosome that can act as the 47th chromosome of a human cell. It is roughly 6 ~ 10 megabases. Vector

HAC The HAC vector's ranges from 10~15 kbp They are useful in expression studies as gene transfer vectors and are a tool for elucidating human chromosome function. prezi.com...

en.wikipedia.org... www.molecular-plant-biotechnology.info... www.nature.com...-title www.nature.com...
rbmojournal

Pentagon scores first success in regenerating limbs in veterans

The Pentagon has made its first significant development with ‘induced’ stem cells (stem cells not obtained from embryos) to regenerate the limbs of amputees who fought in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Researchers were successful in transforming epithelial cells, which were manipulated to regress to their primordial state, into blastemas. A blastema is a mass of undifferentiated cells, which can develop into new body parts. In nature, blastemas are present in salamanders, and newts, animals, which are capable of restoring their own limbs with functionality after amputation. www.stem-cells-news.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ionwind

I find it ironic that the U.S. restricts stem cell research for medical reasons, but allows weaponizing of human cells.
"sensors for chem/biodefense" does not sound like a weapon. It sounds like developing cell lines to be used as detectors for the presence of chemical and biological weapons.

We all know that there are no weapons being developed anywhere.
Weapons, we dont need no stinking weapons.

Phage, honestly I must say your attempts at parcing words until you have someone
trying to define the word it dont fool anyone. That is the only hoax going on here.

The first phase of the Pentagon’s plan to regrow soldiers’ limbs is complete; scientists managed to turn human skin into the equivalent of a blastema — a mass of undifferentiated cells that can develop into new body parts. Now, researchers are on to phase two: turning that cellular glop into a square inch of honest-to-goodness muscle tissue.

Cellthera Inc. and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) just got a one-year, $570,000 grant from Darpa, the Pentagon’s blue-sky research arm, to grow the new tissues. "The goal is to genuinely replace a muscle that’s lost," biotechnology professor Raymond Page tells Danger Room. "I appreciate that’s a very aggressive goal." And it’s only one part in a larger, even more ambitious Darpa program, Restorative Injury Repair, that aims to "fully restore the function of complex tissue (muscle, nerves, skin, etc.)
after traumatic injury on the battlefield."
www.wired.com...

Simply put your wrong, and you will be ignored.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

It doesn't say they are adding a chromosome.

That's not how DNA works.

Yes, they are, and have been doing it for years.

Expression of a gene loaded into HAC vector in CHO cells. Image credit: Dr. Natalay Kouprina, NCI

human artificial chromosome- based vector for gene delivery. Gene delivery, one of the
steps necessary for gene therapy, is the process of introducing foreign genes into host cells.

The results of the study led by Dr. Natalay Kouprina at the National Cancer Institute, Bethesda was published online in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) on 28 November 2011.

Gene therapy has been envisioned to provide a direct and permanent correction of genetic defects. To achieve the desired effects, therapeutic genes need to be carried by safe and effective vectors that can deliver human genes to specific cells and thereafter sustain their expression in a physiologically regulated fashion.
www.sciencedebate.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

We all know that there are no weapons being developed anywhere.
Really? I didn't know that. Did I say that?

Phage, honestly I must say your attempts at parcing words until you have someone
trying to define the word it dont fool anyone.
BTS, honestly I must say your attempts at creating a straw man don't fool anyone.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by primalfractal

Thanks much.

From the folks who brought us cell phones and the internet...
The Black World generally keeps is secrets for a longtime,
sometimes forever.

Originally posted by primalfractal

As to how far along they have come with it… we can only guess,
but we do know for sure that the stuff on the net is years old,

And when it does show up we have to wade through the B.S. to
discuss it.

Using the DNA origami method, in which complex three-dimensional shapes and objects are constructed by folding strands of DNA, Shawn Douglas, Ph.D., a Wyss Technology Development Fellow, and Ido Bachelet, Ph.D., a former Wyss Postdoctoral Fellow who is now an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Life Sciences and the Nano-Center at Bar-Ilan University in Israel, created a nanosized robot in the form of an open barrel whose two halves are connected by a hinge. The DNA barrel, which acts as a container, is held shut by special DNA latches that can recognize and seek out combinations of cell-surface proteins, including disease markers. When the latches find their targets, they reconfigure, causing the two halves of the barrel to swing open and expose its contents, or payload. The container can hold various types of payloads, including specific molecules with encoded instructions that can interact with specific cell surface signaling receptors.

url=http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewpressrelease/75/]http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewpressrelease/75/[/url]

Great stuff, thanks for the links.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

reply to post by ionwind

Equipment used in battle is constructed differently than commercial equipment. It is usually built to higher standards resisting shocks, EM radiation etc. This is what I meant by weaponizing - military grade equipment. One of my professors worked at Fort Detrick, where they say they used to develop biological and chemical weapons. He said he had to leave because he "couldn't believe what he saw there". He did not elaborate.

Fort Detrick

I see the need for our infantry to have the best equipment possible. But they already have NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) detectors. Why do they need to use human cells in their equipment?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

Ask your professor, and think about "why he had to leave there." Just sayin', I think you kind of answered your own question.....

Some things seen cannot be unseen. And no matter the goal, sometimes the ENDS DO NT JUSTIFY THE MEANS.....and it makes it hard to sleep at night, besides.
Respectfully,
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
On the other hand, the effects could be positive. Multiplication of strength and stamina, increased mental abilities, larger or smaller bodies, gills(!), doubling or quadrupling of life span or more, greater tolerance of heat / cold / extremes of environment, better vision (IR / X-Ray / Distance / Microscopic).

They are already on Phase 2 of Limb Regeneration

Pentagon scores first success in regenerating limbs in veterans

The Pentagon has made its first significant development with ‘induced’ stem cells (stem cells not obtained from embryos) to regenerate the limbs of amputees who fought in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Researchers were successful in transforming epithelial cells, which were manipulated to regress to their primordial state, into blastemas. A blastema is a mass of undifferentiated cells, which can develop into new body parts. In nature, blastemas are present in salamanders, and newts, animals, which are capable of restoring their own limbs with functionality after amputation. www.stem-cells-news.com...

But...would we still be able to call ourselves...Human?

Is Humanity in our genes...or is it a state of mind?

Good questions, perhaps it is both, it is in The Soul

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

Why do they need to use human cells in their equipment?

Well, they aren't necessarily human cells in this case but a biological sensor could very likely be more sensitive (to bio warfare agents in particular) than current technology. Coal mine canary?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

For some humor: I think this thread should be renamed : The good, the bad and the ugly. I'll be the ugly.

all joking aside, bts, I am quite enjoying and learning from your sources and your responses. But I find them somewhat duplicitous: as you are supplying plentiful sourcing about how this tech can do very good things, while still saying it is dangerous. Usually, I avoid and loathe duplicity, but in this case, your approach is admirable, directly addressing and illuminating the difference herein.

For that, I commend you for this is no easy line to walk.

Your last post said it all: for, "it is in the soul....."
Respectfully,
Tetra50

ETA:However, some of us have sold that part of us for the "perks," and this is why I find the duplicity on this thread quite instructive.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

reply to post by ionwind

Why do they need to use human cells in their equipment?

Well, they aren't necessarily human cells in this case but a biological sensor could very likely be more sensitive (to bio warfare agents in particular) than current technology. Coal mine canary?

It sounds like they will use human cells:

enable the ability to engineer much more complex functionalities into human cell lines than are currently possible. This capability may support a number of DoD challenges, including the development of complex, multifunctional cell-based sensors for chem/biodefense applications

Link

They may be more sensitive, but by how much? We are getting into the topic of bioethics, just because we can do it, should we?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by NearLifeExperience

According to his literature, the ancient Egyptians used to unlock various supernatural talents hidden within themselves by manipulating their chromosomes.
edit on 31-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Well what kind of literature is that? I mean that Egyptians had used a technology to boost their own talents.

From ages unknown, the knowledge how man can transform himself, and indirectly also others and world(s) is there in the open, to be read and understood with the sole reason to improve hims/herself and every aspect of life.

Ancient knowledge of the Egyptians and Greeks. Kybalion, Hermetica and like, rewritten again in the late 19th and in the beginning of 20th century by many authors with no mention to their original source!

It is rather perplexing that people are so ignorant and arrogant that most of them do not want to take responsibility for their own actions. Well not at all surprising due to too 2k+ years of religions indoctrination of subjugations and deception from all 3 western religions to surrender that responsibility to select few, who are the only deemed worthy of leadership, sovereignty and power to "rule" others.

Well to the point.

You do not need a technology to empower your own DNA. Anybody can do that but the biggest roadblock to "unlock" that potential are negative emotions.

Fear, hate, malice, deception and like need to re cultivated into positive emotions. There is no other way! Why?

Because man is defined by their own belief and their own faith. What YOU believe that is true it is true for yourself. This basic axiom in math applies to everyone and to every thing you believe to be true.

For The Law of Attraction there is no distinction between "good" and "evil" emotions.

"You reap what you sow" and "Luck favors the Brave"

You do not need to believe me but please, go read some books about personal success, like The Secret or maybe books written almost 100 years ago would be more appropriate. Like "Secret of Success" from William Walker Atkinson or "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles.

Note that there are far more books even 100+ years old about "success", "life force" and "creative forces" or by any other strange name yet they all tell about the same thing!

Another very important thing which people should know.

JHVH ~ Jahve is NOT A GOD but the highest principle of life inherent everywhere! This principle is the prime mode of human behavior and his/her natural state of being.

Direct and exact translation from ancient Jewish in English

"I am that I am"

With understanding this you can be what you want and with positive attitude and emotions you can even re-program you own body and DNA.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
but in this case, your approach is admirable, directly addressing and illuminating the difference herein.

For that, I commend you for this is no easy line to walk.

Your last post said it all: for, "it is in the soul....."
Respectfully,
Tetra50

ETA:However, some of us have sold that part of us for the "perks," and this is why I find the duplicity on this thread quite instructive.

Indeed, I try, thanks.
Haha, I lilke your analogy. Hopefully, I am not going to be The Good
and The Bad. Now that would be duplicitous.

What exchange shall a man give for his soul?

Or, as it is written:
Mark 8:36
(KJV)

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

That is the question. I would say that they have tried to find The Soul, and they
know more about it scientifically speaking then they ever let on.

While we dont war with flesh and blood, conversely they are still on that level
in this feild of research.

Just where does The Soul reside? I am sure they have tried to locate it,
and will continue on that quest. Thankfully, we know that they will not succeed.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

They may be more sensitive, but by how much? We are getting into the topic of bioethics, just because we can do it, should we?
Engineered human cells lines have been used to save lives for quite a while.

What ethical problems are there in using cells for genetic research?
Do you think there are ethical problems in using cell lines to develop antibiotics?
Do you think there are ethical problems in using cell lines to perhaps cure type 2 diabetics?

Do you think all research (biological or otherwise) which has the potential for misuse should not be done? You're going to have a hard time finding any such research.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

edit on 1-8-2013 by tetra50 because: cause I can

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join