It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

www.activistpost.com

DARPA, the Department of Defense’s research arm, has just put out a new solicitation for a project called, “Advanced Tools for Mammalian Genome Engineering” on the government’s Federal Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) site.

This project isn’t just for engineering any mammal’s genome, however; it’s specifically for the bioengineering of humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
truthstreammedia.com
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
www.nature.com

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So, what could possibly go wrong?

The project’s objective: to “improve the utility of Human Artificial Chromosomes (HACs).”

HACs are synthetic microchromosome that can act as a new chromosome in
a population of human cells, essentially synthetic biology; adding an artificial
chromosome onto our 46.

Currently, gene therapy uses vectors such as viruses to insert genes into chromosomes,
yet this leaves scientists with known drawbacks, lack of ability to control their results; problems
and limitations with predictable dna delivery.

Now

DARPA with its associated scientists want to introduce an entirely new 47th chromosome
into human genetics as a vector platform for inserting bio-alterations and wholesale genetic
“improvements” into our DNA.

DARPA Solicitaion Opened 7/26/2013
sbirsouce

Aside from the moral implications which are huge, will this really lead to "improvements",
or rather does this open the nightmare pandora's box?

Can mankind really create a utopia with this emerging technology, or is this just the window
into a distopian future, where natural selection is a thing of the past?

What could possibly go wrong?

Pandora’s Box Opened Wide: UAVs Carrying Genetic Weapons

www.activistpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ETA:

Related Above Top Secret Thread:
DARPA Wants Artificial Life Forms
edit on 31-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

DARPA's way of creating a Zombie, the Ultimate Warrior,increasing strength, vision, and hearing no senescence of pain, nor the need of sleep or food, best of all can not die of wounds, or until head is blow off. One last though the DNA is a contagion that creates others by a virus, no know cure. the good news is life span is 28 days.

edit on 31-7-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

pandora's box?

Yes, it could be. However, genetic manipulation is inevitable in my opinion. Grant it, I would much rather see anyone else other the DARPA spearheading this research, as we all know where this technology may end up being implemented.

here natural selection is a thing of the past?

Who is to say that an individual(s) who were born to develop genetic engineering are not the product of natural selection in the first place?

I see all human advancement as sprouting from natural selection. All those who live today are the result of some form of natural selection in the past ( assuming you subscribe to the theory of evolution) including the individual(s) who develop this technology.

What could possibly go wrong?

Most Definitely! Especially if the desired applications are being determined by a clandestine and power hungry institution.

However, I see this type of research as a natural evolution as we begin to marry the technological with the biological. Every scientific frontier has its risks.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

DARPA's way of creating a Zombie, the Ultimate Warrior,increasing strength, vision, and hearing no senescence of pain, nor the need of sleep or food, best of all can not die of wounds, or until head is blow off. One last though the DNA is a contagion that creates others by a virus, no know cure. the good news is life span is 28 days.

edit on 31-7-2013 by bekod because: line edit

Yeah! Bring it on, I'm ready for a zombie apocalypse war

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

That is certainly going to be one aspect: Technology and the Ruling Party.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Great men are almost always bad men."
Lord Action

Somehow, I dont see this turning out well, not even as well as
A Brave New World. I say that as the surveillance mind control
society we live in now, its going to get better is it?

Using power, the powerlful do to the powerless.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Combat clones from DUMBs would be the only force that could subdue the American populace without WMDs. I think that is where the kids who disappear end up for experimentation,the ones that aren't sacrificed that is.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Here's my question: why haven't they perfected their techniques on other, smaller, more expendable mammals first? Rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. Seems to me like their results aren't completely up to scratch, nowhere close to good enough for human trials yet. Get some markets going for homegrown blue rabbits or six legged turtles with star patterns on their shells. Hell, why not invest in a Pokemon industry? Use genetic engineering to develop the more harmless of the Pokemon characters. Imagine the profits! They could bring Pokemon back with a vengeance! Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast would probably clamor to get a foot in the door on that market!

...I used to be a Pokemon fan. And I still enjoy a little Pokemon-centric nostalgia. So yes, I was going to go there the moment I saw the thread. But in all seriousness, my idea is a far better investment than genetically engineering humans with highly questionable odds of success. And on the other hand - imagine if genetically modified humans become the next big thing? What will happen to the purely natural humans? Will they become freaks? Will they be discriminated against? What if a couple decides to GM their baby while it's still in the womb? When do rights come into effect? Is the process reversible?

There's a lot of repercussions that the article never even touched on. This sort of stuff is what concerns me about people who are not satisfied with being human. Where will they stop? Where will they draw the line? Will they ever draw the line? There's a ton of questions we need to answer.This isn't a can of worms. This is Pandora's bleedin' Box!
edit on 31-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Is this technology like a schematic genetic layout for future alterations to follow. So its like the skeleton of the future body somewhat it seems. Instead of direct exposure in therapy does this basically act as a prep. for the human system to be more receptive to further treatments alterations which may be associated to changed living conditions?

Please excuse if questions unclear.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Inevitable, yes.

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Every scientific frontier has its risks.

Some much greater than others, I would say this one is a game changer.
Those biospheres they show in sci fi films? Imagine that it all goes
according to plan, or maybe not. Warfare comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Yeah! Bring it on, I'm ready for a zombie apocalypse war

The Zombie Deployment Guide

www.armytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Here's my question: why haven't they perfected their techniques on other, smaller, more expendable mammals first? Rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. Seems to me like their results aren't completely up to scratch, nowhere close to good enough for human trials yet. Get some markets going for homegrown blue rabbits or six legged turtles with star patterns on their shells. Hell, why not invest in a Pokemon industry? Use genetic engineering to develop the more harmless of the Pokemon characters. Imagine the profits! They could bring Pokemon back with a vengeance! Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast would probably clamor to get a foot in the door on that market!

...I used to be a Pokemon fan. And I still enjoy a little Pokemon-centric nostalgia. So yes, I was going to go there the moment I saw the thread. But in all seriousness, my idea is a far better investment than genetically engineering humans with highly questionable odds of success.
edit on 31-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

My guess is that 'they' have gone much further than what we are hearing now.

By the time we start finding out about things, the agenda is usually well into advanced stages.

Added
Some people say that DARPA has had former Nazi doctors on staff, left overs from project paperclip.

edit on Jul-31-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

No, by the time we know the full truth, a homemade human will be trolling the ATS boards

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Inevitable, yes.

Some much greater than others, I would say this one is a game changer.
Those biospheres they show in sci fi films? Imagine that it all goes
according to plan, or maybe not. Warfare comes to mind.

I would agree. This would be unprecedented and pending the success of the technological, we would look at a new era of human development and technology.

It should be considered that this would probably be a very costly process and in all likelihood, only a select few would be exposed to such a treatment. Yes, military applications where the first that came to my mind. Scientific discovery and military technological development almost go hand in hand.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Perhaps it's part of assuring that,

The human race will one day split into two separate species, an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures, according to a top scientist. Source

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Combat clones from DUMBs

Several movies come to mind, I cant think of the titles now
except Gattaca and Terminator. Add in the clones and the future scenarios
get pretty scary....and we know they can clone humans now too.

Add in artificial intelligence, Petman, and we now have a real Skynet.

Gattaca Trailer

One of the movies, they did take people too.

I think that is where the kids who disappear end up for experimentation,
the ones that aren't sacrificed that is.

Sad thought, yet I am sure that there have to be experiments taking place
somewhere. Dulce is always dismissed as a rumor...hmmm.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

I would agree. This would be unprecedented and pending the success of the technological, we would look at a new era of human development and technology.

It should be considered that this would probably be a very costly process and in all likelihood, only a select few would be exposed to such a treatment. Yes, military applications where the first that came to my mind. Scientific discovery and military technological development almost go hand in hand.

1 was also considering the medical relations as well especially when DRACO like vaccines become more relevant 1 could imagine the human body would need Preped for the exposures...

To such vaccines etc. as well as teaching the human body how to overcome potential negative exposures to ignorant germ or chem release potentials.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

well when the CDC lists it you know something is up www.cdc.gov... direct link www.cdc.gov... from the link

Wonder why Zombies, Zombie Apocalypse, and Zombie Preparedness continue to live or walk dead on a CDC web site? As it turns out what first began as a tongue in cheek campaign to engage new audiences with preparedness messages has proven to be a very effective platform. We continue to reach and engage a wide variety of audiences on all hazards preparedness via Zombie Preparedness; and as our own director, Dr. Ali Khan, notes, "If you are generally well equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse you will be prepared for a hurricane, pandemic, earthquake, or terrorist attack." So please log on, get a kit, make a plan, and be prepared!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Here's my question: why haven't they perfected their techniques on other, smaller, more expendable mammals first? Rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. Seems to me like their results aren't completely up to scratch, nowhere close to good enough for human trials yet.

I recall a thread here on ATS a while back, DARPA living foundries.
It was about synthetic life factories, well this is giving me chills now.

Thats where they make this "perfect" dna. And bet they make non perfect dna too.
See it cuts both ways....

Now about the animals...they are doing it, not sure how perfect it is.

And on the other hand - imagine if genetically modified humans become the next big thing? What will happen to the purely natural humans? Will they become freaks? Will they be discriminated against? What if a couple decides to GM their baby while it's still in the womb? When do rights come into effect? Is the process reversible?

Yes, so many questions....all of them will have to be dealt with.

There's a lot of repercussions that the article never even touched on. This sort of stuff is what concerns me about people who are not satisfied with being human. Where will they stop? Where will they draw the line? Will they ever draw the line?

Exaclty, this is humanity, or should I say WAS.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join