It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by tetra50

You can't have it both ways, Phage.

I'm not asking to have it both ways. There are bio/electro interfacing projects but the article you posted is not about one of them. It is about mimicking neurological systems in electronic systems.

I agree that ethics are part of all aspects of research. That is nothing new.

edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Pretend I'm a third grader ( as you already think I am) and tell me the difference, please???? Cause, to me, bio/electro interfacing and neurological systems in electronic systems, especially when the title is syNAPSE, and this is the description:

SYSTEMS OF NEUROMORPHIC ADAPTIVE PLASTIC SCALABLE ELECTRONICS (SYNAPSE)

Current programmable machines are limited not only by their computational capacity, but also by an architecture requiring human-derived algorithms to describe and process information from their environment. In contrast, biological neural systems, such as a brain, autonomously process information in complex environments by automatically learning relevant and probabilistically stable features and associations. Since real-world problems generally have many variables and nearly infinite combinatorial complexity, neuromorphic electronic machines would be preferable in a host of applications.

Wish I could highlight certain portions, but you have me at a disadvantage here. But anyone with any reading comprehension, other than you (argumentative, curmudgeonly, for the sake of it, now, obviously, having provided EVERYTHING one would need to extrapolate said facts being discussed now) can extrapolate what I already have. Tell you what: why don't you call up DARPA and ASK them? I pretty much guarantee you they will acquiesce to what I have outlined, in terms of their research and what their goals are......

The research program is housed at Boston U. It's been going on since 2009. Let me know. Or I will call them.

edit on 1-8-2013 by tetra50 because: clarification

edit on 1-8-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Cause, to me, bio/electro interfacing and neurological systems in electronic systems, especially when the title is syNAPSE, and this is the description:
The description says nothing about interfacing, does it? It says that current computer architecture cannot approach the abilities of biological brains. They are limited by their architecture. It says that by mimicking neurological systems, computer systems would be able to perform much more complex tasks.

Again... neuromorphic electronic machines...from SyNAPSE.

More simply stated, it is an attempt to build a new kind of computer with similar form and function to the mammalian brain. Such artificial brains would be used to build robots whose intelligence matches that of mice and cats.

www.artificialbrains.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Face it, Phage:

There are more things between Heaven and Earth then we can control or have details of, to assert control, via math, logic, or whatever control mechanism we would apply with our minds.

This is truly the point, in my view.

Is the situation out of control, and escalating beyond what we can predict, and is our survival as a species, therefore, challenged...

if you do not answer, yes, then I question your sanity. Don't be offended by that. I question my own every day.
But you must surely lose the "nothing to see here" approach, if you want to hold onto the respect this community has given you to this point.
Respectfully,
Tetra50

P.S. In other words, we as a people do not have a grasp, nor any control over what is currently taking place, scientifically, or in many other realms of challenging "reality." If you do not accept this, you are not adapting.....as Druscilla encourages all to do..

So long and goodnight.
Be safe and be well.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Ha ha, dude, if you don't know what MICE and CATS mean to these guys these days, I can't be of any further service. You either get it, or you don't

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

But you must surely lose the "nothing to see here" approach, if you want to hold onto the respect this community has given you to this point.

That is not my approach.
My approach is to use critical thinking not hysterics.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Bring it.

Romans 8:28
Mark 16:18
Revelation 11:11

Remember
100 yards.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

That is not my approach.

HYSTERICS????

OK. Now I AM insulted. You are being "critical" in your analysis, and I am being "hysterical?" Too bad you betray yourself and your bent because you don't see that another critical mind has tried to reach yours.

Screw you. I've given you every language processing vocabulary and cited studies to show you....

And we end at "screw you" and "hysterics." Good luck and good night. You haven't the mind I thought you had.
For I will not reduce myself to taking apart the study, highlighting words for you, and giving the dictionary references to what we all agree those WORDS mean.......
Take care, Phage, from the "hysterical" gallery. Let me know when the publically available Transcranial Stimulator is causing some problems out there in neverneverland.......it's just play, right? In the old days, in psych wards, dude, this was called lobotomization. Get a grip. I'm hysterical.. Yeah, okay....
We will see. Really I don't want to see what is coming. But you get back to me when it becomes obvious.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
My ass is critically thinking......

oops, sorry. Just hysterical, here.

Bring it, indeed. And my mind is not bent on hysteria. If it were, I would have been voluminously screaming long ago....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well, I think it is a good idea to put all that genetically modified stuff on a 47th chromosome so that it is easier to find and get rid of later... than trying to pick it out of the other 46.

Other than that, GM Humans?

Wow.

That is going to cause some problems down the road, no question. Maybe I should embrace it and become as much of a cyborg and GM human as possible?

That would make sense for my character, I would upgrade myself as much as possible but still be philosophically in support of non eugenics. Then I could have an epic battle against eugenics peoples and superhumans
edit on 1-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Somebody's gotta step up. I don't see any divine entities coming up to have a swing at the world's problems. And I wouldn't have a problem with the human species customizing and enhancing themselves to have a try if I wasn't so worried about mankind being mature enough to handle such developments.

I was pondering this, and it dawned on me that even to this day not much is done
in the field of medicine for cures. A lot is done for development of drugs to treat
disorders, and disease....if that is any clue we are in for one hell of a ride with the
synthetic biology.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

I appreciate what you are saying -

When, here at the University of Wisconsin, they are implanting human genes into mice, and being public about it - you know they are trying more in private.

They've tried cloning humans - those people on their own ship - the Railiens? Some cult group like that.

God knows we only hear about the technology they've come out with, when it is already obselete.

Who is Phage? What does he really do?

Anyone who really works in science and technology has to have an imagination, of some sort.

Maybe he's just busy making/cleaning petri dishes for some pharmaceutical lab somewhere.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

It does seem "modern medicine" is only in the business of getting you to "take" something - or change your chemical/biological makeup to "fix" your problem.

That seems to be how they make their money.

I used to get cold sores on my lips when I got sick (and my immune system was down) A pharmacist told me to take my Valtrex - which is usually prescribed as one tablet 2 times a day - she told me to take 5 pills at a time, and that some research said it would cure me - I did, for 1 and a half days - haven't had a cold sore since - and that was about 7 years ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Does that shark come with a self destruct mechanism?

The description of BioDesign starts off as basic Synthetic Biology, but then adds a plan for:

designed molecular responses that increase resistance to cellular death signals... Development of technologies to genetically tag and/or lock synthesized molecules would provide methods for identifying the origin and source of synthetic biologicals (e.g., genes or proteins) allowing for traceability and prevention of manipulation ("tamper proof" synthetic biological).

Of course, nothing could go wrong with this, but just in case, the "2011 Base Plans" include:

Develop strategies to create a synthetic organism "self-destruct" option to be implemented upon
nefarious removal of organism.

Permanently append a synthetic organism's genome and prevent foul play by tracking organism use
and history, similar to a traceable serial number on a handgun.

www.biopoliticaltimes.org...

Self destructing petri dishes?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Let them try.

They are not going to stop anyway if I say so.

They will fail in their objectives.

I think it is better this way. Let them invest labor and money in this and fail.

I want to quote from Ramayana, but I restrain myself due to rules and preferences of this website.

Humans have a tendency to act as the Creator, as God has given humans the creativity that itself springs from His own powers. However God has also defined the rules for humans, which humans ignore or forget. Good can never come from bad intentions.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Thanks for your comments, I have enjoyed all of your posts.

Yes, let them try. I think, as many do we have been here before.
Humanity scares them, families scare them. They need to control
mothers and fathers, and if they would, eliminate them.

They are scared of humanity even in all of its frailness. Of course,
they dont see it that way, to them it appears like a vast resource
of cash, research grants, and new opportunities and avenues
to power.... let them try.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

This does seem to be the norm, Big Pharma. Sure they have vaccines

and drugs....this of course does not represent the honest biologists,
and scientists who genuinely strive to discover cures....few and far
between.

Of course, they could prove us wrong anyday and announce a cure
for cancer, AIDS, diabetes, etc. We are all waiting even if .....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by tetra50

I appreciate what you are saying -

When, here at the University of Wisconsin, they are implanting human genes into mice, and being public about it - you know they are trying more in private.

They've tried cloning humans - those people on their own ship - the Railiens? Some cult group like that.

God knows we only hear about the technology they've come out with, when it is already obselete.

Who is Phage? What does he really do?

Anyone who really works in science and technology has to have an imagination, of some sort.

Maybe he's just busy making/cleaning petri dishes for some pharmaceutical lab somewhere.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

To be true, Phage has a great mathematical and space knowledgeable mind, if you read posts previously.
But you're killing me with this, on a comedic level, and I'm totally used to being the joke, myself. We just will never see eye to eye on this, and I am not surprised at all that it descended into my being "hysterical."

But thanks for your support , Happy1. And you are right: whomever does those jobs does have to have an imagination. But for me, this wasn't really about imagination, at all.. It was totally about understanding what that particular agency is about, here. And I don't think it took a mensa IQ to understand the wording of these "projects," or the intended conclusions, therein.

Mice and cats, indeed. But I'm just being hysterical.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

That is not my approach.

My other point to you is, the people who write these press releases about such research, do not write for scientific analytical, critical thinking minds. That's part of my point, Phage. They think the rest of us out here reading and typing are mice and cats and inform us, accordingly, while tracking our life narratives, reducing, inducing and interrrupting them, and also giving them away......

There isn't anything hysterical about that extrapolation. They are spelling it out for you, combined with the political situation: no habeus corpus, no 4th amendment, worldwide web and surveillance (no one seems to get it but the web was developed just for this one giant Facebook page of revealing who you are to make it easier on so many levels), and excusing and explaining it all with a broad brushstroke of "we're just trying to determine how to sell you something." THAT's what narratives, storytelling, and voyeurism (watching it, watching it watch us watch it) does, effectively, here.....

No one seems to put all that together cohesively and come out on the other side of it understanding what it's turned us all into: mice and rats, for study. And all the while, they are selling us something and keeping us invested in this life of being utilized, and then selling us the research as though we will be gods in our own right one day, and free from the biological reality of living or the worries of an active mind: i.e.hysteria, which many scientists have called such ponderings about the safety and uniqueness of an individual without being tampered with in a way one cannot control or shield oneself from.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Great thread, this is the most important external issue at the moment.
They’re trying to turn us into the Borg. The internal is to activate our
DNA locked energy systems.

As to how far along they have come with it… we can only guess,
but we do know for sure that the stuff on the net is years old,
hence – abovetopsecret.

The link is about DNA nanomachines from the Harvard website.
They are “some of the first hybrids of structural DNA, antibodies,
aptamers and metal atomic clusters”. It could be used for a mind
altering device, to kill/disable people or to deliver payloads of
unwanted genetic material

BOSTON, MA -- Researchers at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University have developed a robotic device made from DNA that could potentially seek out specific cell targets within a complex mixture of cell types and deliver important molecular instructions, such as telling cancer cells to self-destruct. Inspired by the mechanics of the body's own immune system, the technology might one day be used to program immune responses to treat various diseases. The research findings appear in today's issue of Science.[

Using the DNA origami method, in which complex three-dimensional shapes and objects are constructed by folding strands of DNA, Shawn Douglas, Ph.D., a Wyss Technology Development Fellow, and Ido Bachelet, Ph.D., a former Wyss Postdoctoral Fellow who is now an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Life Sciences and the Nano-Center at Bar-Ilan University in Israel, created a nanosized robot in the form of an open barrel whose two halves are connected by a hinge. The DNA barrel, which acts as a container, is held shut by special DNA latches that can recognize and seek out combinations of cell-surface proteins, including disease markers. When the latches find their targets, they reconfigure, causing the two halves of the barrel to swing open and expose its contents, or payload. The container can hold various types of payloads, including specific molecules with encoded instructions that can interact with specific cell surface signaling receptors.

"We can finally integrate sensing and logical computing functions via complex, yet predictable, nanostructures -- some of the first hybrids of structural DNA, antibodies, aptamers and metal atomic clusters -- aimed at useful, very specific targeting of human cancers and T-cells," said George Church, Ph.D., a Wyss core faculty member and Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School, who is Principal Investigator on the project. Because DNA is a natural biocompatible and biodegradable material, DNA nanotechnology is widely recognized for its potential as a delivery mechanism for drugs and molecular signals. But there have been significant challenges to its implementation, such as what type of structure to create; how to open, close, and reopen that structure to insert, transport, and deliver a payload; and how to program this type of nanoscale robot.

wyss.harvard.edu...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join