It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA to Genetically Engineer Humans by Adding a 47th Chromosome

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by NotAnAspie

I see.
Is it your position that government funding is always for something nefarious then? How has that attitude worked out for you so far?

That's not really your concern now is it? Unless you just can't resist the temptation to make an argument personal when you don't like what's being said. If that's the case, fire away. You'll find I couldn't care less about anyone's alternate tactics in trying to win a debate to back up their net persona.

To answer your question though about the nefarious plans of our government, that should be kind of obvious by now, really. I don't see how any moderately intelligent person could overlook it at this point. I won't derail the thread with countless examples of their desperation for control.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

That's not really your concern now is it?
You're right. I went a bit farther with that than I should have.

But please see my edit.

But the government funds an awful lot of research. How can you tell which is nefarious, or is all of it?
edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XPuntar

Direct and exact translation from ancient Jewish in English

"I am that I am" With understanding this you can be what you want and with positive attitude and emotions you can even re-program you own body and DNA.

No technology needed indeed, but for those in that wavelength it is there cup of tea. But it is oil and water the two do not mix, and like oil and water one floats on top of the other.

Or as Popeye put it. "I ams what I ams, and that's all that I is" Old Philosophy's decanted and brought to you curtsey of Popeye, which is put into song and dance in this short vid, for your viewing pleasure.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm jealous. People will have three eyes and twelve fingers. Soon we will be considered primatives.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

That's not really your concern now is it?
You're right. I went a bit farther with that than I should have.

But please see my edit.

But the government funds an awful lot of research. How can you tell which is nefarious, or is all of it?
edit on 8/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

There are four different aspects of this, after looking at it a little closer, that sound off warning bells in my mind... and that's not even including the timing. Yes, the government funds research... but even though I don't think the government has dropped everything it's doing to concentrate on any one singular issue, I do believe it has focused it's priorities lately on certain things. If it wanted to help people it could take money like this and do many other things immediately that would ease public suffering, but the government is specifically goal oriented... and this particular field as I was saying brings a few different things to mind.

I'm going to look at it further before going into any details about those few things, but when I first looked at this my thoughts were of cautious curiosity... and yes, a bit of suspicious scrutiny for a government I have come to greatly distrust... but after looking at it more, something just clicked and I really don't like the sound of this even more. Our genes have a tendency to build resistances. To get in there and alter the foundations on which these things work, you could possibly pave the way to some truly dangerous tools. That is my opinion.

On the surface, it would be benign and they haven't done well to keep this covered up so it seems it could very well be used for something useful... but like so many things that could be very beneficial, those same things are often every bit just as dangerous when they are then taken and used for detriment... and that part of serving a dual purpose, no one really has to know about once the funds have been allocated for a seemingly innocent reason.

Bids on contracts are not only the usual way they do business, but it's also an opportunity to look for a potential recruit in the desired field to prey upon and corner into taking the work even further.

All in all, it's a suspicion of government and doesn't matter what I say. No harm is done in presenting a question.

Our government should ALWAYS at least be questioned because it is on a very obvious path of destruction.

To not question this particular government in this era.... well, to me it's just kind of absurd.

The real question is what good have they done lately? Because I think answering that would be the biggest challenge here.
edit on 1-8-2013 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

All in all, it's a suspicion of government and doesn't matter what I say. No harm is done in presenting a question.
Absolutely not. It's called sceptism and it is a useful outlook in most aspects of life. But it doesn't do much good if it's a one way street. In examining the claims in the OP it becomes apparent that the claims are flat out false. The OP claims that this RFP is about genetically engineering humans. It isn't. Nowhere in the RFP is that stated or implied.

Could this sort of technology be used for nefarious ends? Of course it could. So can virtually anything. But rather than talking about that, the article in the OP has to lie about what the actual content is. Why is that? What benefit is there in the lies about what the research is about? Could it be used as a weapon? Of course it could. The two edged sword is hardly a new concept. Gee, I bet the computer I'm sitting at could be used to guide a missile.

Sure, discuss the possible ramifications. That is a valid discussion. But why lie about it? This proposed research is not about genetically engineering humans. To claim that it is, is a hoax.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Can you point to any major, world-power, historical political body, in the annals of history, that hasn't prostituted their technology and/or abused their power?

Like I've said before, Phage, your "science" is somewhat above average, but your history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, and street-smarts need a more hearty curriculum.

Think about it, brudda...

edit on 2-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thus the quotation marks

What? Who are you dude and why are you arguing with me on this. You should cease and desist immediately it is highly annoying. And I am prone to the highly annoying.

But lets say your right and "thus the quotations" So let me see I am just throwing things off the top of my head, but I do believe around the time when these "cavemen" were around the majority of all human type poulations were living a migratory lifestyle either in great plains such as Africa before it went all deserty, and sandy like. Or around great rivers which brought food sources such as fish, in places such as the Jordan or the Danube in Europe all of which lead to to the sea off course. If any stayed put they created huts or baked clay which they got from river bodies for there dwellings.

The majority and again trowing things off the top of my head of the human types around were migratory like I said, merely following the food sources and game. So now you have a great swath of peoples various human types. Of which a minority actually would have stayed in caves, and if they did it would not be for long periods of time....So lets get this straight if a bunch of proto humans something along the lines of 90% live on the plains or in huts migrating the whole time they would be considered "cavemen" because the minority of them, or they once stayed in a cave?

If you once visited Africa would that make you African?

Not even flint Flintstones lived in a cave if you would remember the cartoons he had a very cushy stone house.

All I am saying is that it is highly illogical for you or anybody else to call them cavemen, even if it is highly logical why you are being so dense about things. You can do one, but not the other....So who are these "cavemen" your talking about? Is this like arguing about how human cell lines are not humans. Off course there not humans, but they are human cell lines. How else would you introduce a pathogen or even a genome into a human system and body, by using buffalo or dolphin cell lines?

Are human cells considered to be humans? Because that is what this, and much other genetic research involves. Cell lines. Cell lines are not humans, even human cell lines. Is a blood cell a human? How about that skin cell that you just sluffed off? Is that a human? Aww. It's dead. So sad. When's the funeral?

No because there missing a "s" at the end of human. It would not make them human"s" merely human. minus the "s'

Which blood cell? I take it your talking about a human blood cell. In which case a blood cell is not a human, it is a human blood cell.

And yes that skin cell is a dead human skin cell which I just slouffed off.

There will be no funeral for that dead skin cell.

However I will be holding a candlelight vigil latter tonight in memory of it.

By "fitting in" you mean not actually reading what the request for proposals says? You mean just going ahead and believing the claims of the article in the OP? Ok. Go ahead and "fit in". You're a perfect fit.

Yes actually! that is exactly what I meant and was getting at.

But seeing as your making some sort of big deal about nothing, I clicked your link. Now I see were not even talking about the same thing, in fact you and the other guys are talking about completely different things. He was talking about the untold application of an attempt at a synthetic chromosome being installed by way cell line processes to get it to spreed in itself, or in a host. Were as you were talking about cell lines in general. Do you deny that the cell line processes exists? What are you getting at anyways.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Who are you dude and why are you arguing with me on this. You should cease and desist immediately it is highly annoying. And I am prone to the highly annoying.
Oh my. What ever have I done? What ever shall I do?

Such a lot of words. I used quotation marks around "the caves" to indicate that it is a colloquialism. I
understand that "cavemen" is a inaccurate description.

Yes actually! that is exactly what I meant and was getting at.
To make sure I am not misunderstanding. You think that taking what is claimed in the OP at face value, without referring to the original source, is a good thing?

He was talking about the untold application of an attempt at a synthetic chromosome being installed by way cell line processes to get it to spreed in itself, or in a host.
No. "He" and the article "he" linked claim that the purpose of the proposed research is about genetically engineering humans. It is not. It is about improving existing methods of applying genetic modification to cell lines.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
So, what could possibly go wrong?

I prefer to ask; "What could possibly go RIGHT".

We need to look at the inevitability of self modification, as well as having the tools and technical expertise for proficiency.

Our next step in evolution is either self guided, or extinction.

In our future lie opportunity for self guided modification and augment via machine interface, bio-engineering, and/or a combination of the two.
It's going to happen regardless the number of stink eyes turned at these developments and possibilities.

The sooner, the better, I say too.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'm jealous. People will have three eyes and twelve fingers. Soon we will be considered primatives.

or;

One Eyed one Horned Flying Purple People Eaters

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

We need to look at the inevitability of self modification, as well as having the tools and technical expertise for proficiency.

Oh, dont worry this will never happen. I assure you.

Evolution to what? Where? Why not extinction?

In our future lie opportunity for self guided modification and augment via machine interface, bio-engineering, and/or a combination of the two.

Self guidance? Is this anything like guided missiles?

It's going to happen regardless the number of stink eyes turned at these developments and possibilities.

Wow, what a racist comment. Look in the mirror, would you?
edit on 1-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

If it'll never happen, then, why so conspicuously defensive on the issue?

Evolution to what? Use your imagination. How much of the planet is covered in water? That's a lot of realestate that could be opened up if people could live and breathe in that environment.
What other environments on other planets yet to even be discovered in the future could we possibly adapt ourselves to with genemods?

Racist comments? Are you delusional?
Nothing I've said has anything to do with racism. You may want to step away from the caffeine for a little while.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Do you think for a long term survival perspective the human race should genetically engineer out sex and woman give birth reproduction to a brave new world type of reproduction of using artificially created wombs to give birth to a human. The use of an artificial womb would allow tailoring of the womb to suit the genome created and growing inside its incubator habitat.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

reply to post by burntheships

That's a lot of realestate that could be opened up if people could live and breathe in that environment.

Then where would the creatures of the sea live?
Fish is good for us, to eat. Ah fish tacos, I love them!
And, fish is good for us to consume....did you not know?

Racist comments?

Yes, the human race.
And likewise, step away from the new agesim hokey pokey.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Then where would the creatures of the sea live?
Fish is good for us, to eat. Ah fish tacos, I love them!
And, fish is good for us to consume....did you not know?

Yes, the human race.
And likewise, step away from the new agesim hokey pokey.

We can gene-mod food fish that mow our lawns for food for themselves, or eat poop, or something else.
If we can gene mod ourselves to do anything, or be anything, then, we could quite effectively see a day where pigs do indeed fly.
Try to keep your mouth closed when looking up.

As to New-agism? I think you and I have some seriously different ideas about what constitutes new age-ism.
I see new age-ism as a bunch of hippies meditating and contemplating inner peace and being groovy but altogether useless.
I see gene-mods and self directed augmentation as the realization of transhumanism.

As to liking it or not, if ever it comes, feel free to opt out. I'm going with the immortal jellyfish genes, so, i'll be around for several hundred more years if not thousands.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

or eat poop, or something else.

Who wants to eat poop?
Go ahead be my guest.

If we can gene mod ourselves to do anything, or be anything, then, we could quite effectively see a day where pigs do indeed fly.

Fly then when you can.

Try to keep your mouth closed when looking up.

Thats for fish. I stand erect, and eat fish.

I see gene-mods and self directed augmentation as the realization of transhumanism.

Three different things.

As to liking it or not, if ever it comes, feel free to opt out. I'm going with the immortal jellyfish genes, so, i'll be around for several hundred more years if not thousands.

Oh good, have fun your safe I dont like jellyfish, well that is I prefer fish.
So happy bottom of the sea to ya.

edit on 2-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Now I can See the Movie Blade Runner aka from the Book do Androids Dream of Sheep Becoming A REALITY!! More Human then Human is our Motto -- Dr Tyrell Genetically Modified Altered Human Super Human Synthetic or Carbon based Organic lol

Humans Can Create a Synthetic cell Check...

Anyone Seen the movie GATTACA

Bio Engineering is a reality making Chimeras to Hybrids Check !!
( ya know Silk milk glowing Animals Super Muscle Cows (Altering Fruit Flys with 4 wings to leg Antennas messing with the the Dna Code.. and that was in the 80s ) Check...

What Genetically Engineer a 47th Chromosome!! What

aHH People we Actually have 48 just a pair is Fused!! TOGETHER!! in the 2nd Chromosome

Proven Fact of Science !! ...

So that makes it 49 ??

All in all within the genes too much copying to less or missing in the chromosomes of genes !!

is the Start!!
As we Share 98.x of the Genes of an Ape DNA

Take the Brain For instance!! for an Ape to have Intellect like a Human
just Wrap around more Cell Neurons X-3 times 3 More Quantity more Quality !

and that Just the Brain...

So in reality there making a 49 Chromosome Human ... unless its 2 fused pair then that makes it 50!

BOY Adolf Hitler Would Love this ! Making a Super Human The so Called Master Race ...

but maybe it shouldn't be laughed at DARPA Could of Dug out some Old Vaulted Captured Nazi era BIO Genetic Doctors Journal Scrapbook .Notes .. What have you.... Hey Guy Lets Do this !! look like from the Notes they got close .... OHH Josef Mengele ! Boys From Brazil !! ..... The Identical Twin Town!! lol!

Nazi angel of death Josef Mengele 'created twin town in Brazil'
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Then we have : dr moreau becoming a reality ! too... thanks HG Wells ! its becoming Real your BOOK!
or
or

edit on 2-8-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I prefer to ask; "What could possibly go RIGHT".

Wow, Druscilla, for someone as intelligent as you are, I'm surprised you put that kind of trust in your fellow humans.

You know I respect you, but, please, eff-ups and malfeasance are the norm. If you don't know that by now, turn in your pocket-protector and grab some history books. And get out of the house a bit while you're at it.

You're as much a fantasist, it turns out, as those you--from a perceived lofty position--address daily. I'm sincerely shocked. Don't get me wrong dearie, GUT LOVES you, but your science fiction is showing.

Then again...it is good to see you have an imagination after all.

edit on 2-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Well, I mean I'm only 27 and I don't recognize my childhood (even up to age 18) anymore. I feel like I've lived a century.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join