It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushido The Life In Every Breath + Q&A

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
My advice would be to take works like the "Hagakure", with a little salt

Awesome reading and a really nice 'memoir' sort of insight to some of the values of the Tokugawa period, however historically it has little value, it's effectively a work of fiction. Understandably, it's not written from a historical standpoint, however it's merit as a work of 'the times' is minimal from a academic perspective.

That said, i've read it more times i can remember, it was very valuable to me in my youth.

Shame that the west 'cheeses' up the Bushido topic with it's tenancy to romanticise such things, i've found the reality of much of that history to have a very different and much more genuinely enigmatic, and robust feel than what the 'west' is shown.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

Bringing a soldier back from the dead means he could fight again or had you never considered that??? Did the Romans consider that trait in a person as threat if he was not Roman???

Sometimes, making a hard choice requires a great deal of courage. Situations which require us to make these choices don't necessarily come when we are called upon to save someone's life or commit a heroic act of such degree that will gain us any kind of recognition or notoriety. Most of the time, it is the simplest of situations which force us to make a choice between taking a chance to do the right thing or remain in the shadows of our own pride, embarrassment or fear and merely observe with regret. Bushido dictates that we must act to support goodness and right action regardless of our level of comfort with the intervention. Sometimes, the lives or well-being of others will depend on our ability to rise with courage at any given moment, usually when we least expect it.

From the code of the Bushido

Jesus was a Jew who was prepared to die for what he believed in. Despite the fact that others denied his potential because of his race.

This is Bushido as I have already explained.

Any thoughts?

edit on 31-7-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Seriously...I bet most of you couldn't do thirty push ups...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bugeisha

Awesome reading and a really nice 'memoir' sort of insight to some of the values of the Tokugawa period, however historically it has little value, it's effectively a work of fiction. Understandably, it's not written from a historical standpoint, however it's merit as a work of 'the times' is minimal from a academic perspective.

That said, i've read it more times i can remember, it was very valuable to me in my youth.

Shame that the west 'cheeses' up the Bushido topic with it's tenancy to romanticise such things, i've found the reality of much of that history to have a very different and much more genuinely enigmatic, and robust feel than what the 'west' is shown.

this guY! ^ ^ ^

for those with no idea of what bushido means its a great introduction to the extremes of the way, written by someone for whom bushido was something already lost.

like all other philosophy and thought it was twisted by those who wished to use it for their own ends.
see the rise of the nationalists pre WW2

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Specimen
Seriously...I bet most of you couldn't do thirty push ups...

because push ups are the keystone to understanding bushido.
this perfectly exemplifies why no one should read what you write and take it with any credence on this topic.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Many of my friends are marines there is a reason for that.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

You know what, dying for the glory of battle, or dying for something you believe in sounds like the stereotype of islam(srry)? What next sucidal bombing Jews?(Srry) Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Kashai

You know what, dying for the glory of battle, or dying for something you believe in sounds like the stereotype of islam(srry)? What next sucidal bombing Jews?(Srry) Thoughts?

You need a bib....I had an uncle who died in Vietnam because he threw himself upon a rocket propelled hand grenade. It landed in a campfire where the rest of his platoon has surrounded (including him). He made the decision to interfere with the effect of the blast. bBy throwing his body upon the grenade that was imbedded in the campfire.

The rest of his team survived though in his coffin was simply a bag filled with bones.

Are you suggesting that such an act relates simply to Islam? Justification to discerning that a warriors path should be stereotyped as related to the morality of one culture?

This is why you need a Bib....

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
You know,What...Im no Master of Zen, or of philosophy and Im tired of trying to speaking a little terminology. I dont care if im wrong.

And sure, bushido has probably gone thru some radical enlightening changes.(Also, don`t you Americans, marine, patriots hate kamikazes considering you guys never forgave japan for pearl harbour. Which kamikazes follow the code honor).

First of all, its `Better to die on your feet, then live on your knee`s``.

Secondly, it a militarized or weaponized discipline.

And lastly, DONT EVER IGNORE MY POINTS!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
How did this thread turn from helping people see life differently --------> Jesus, Islam, Suicide Bombers and Suicide

You guys really bumming out the topic and turning it into a personal fighting arena and debate on religion. Even though no religion was involved at the start and it was about helping people see life differently + giving advice.

Honestly I am freaked out that it almost feels like a derailing/hijacking taking place

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

. It just if samurais felt like they failed royalty, or got dishonored, they'd stab themselves.

I think this statment is a little off it makes samurai seem shallow beings with no appreciation of human life.

I would reword this statment to

If the samurai failed there perceived life long purpose which was to serve their choosen master, or dishonored themselves by failing there masters and/or themselves they would choose there death.

After some time the samurai suicide was looked down upon when it came to killing yourself because of the death of your master and the practice almost stopped completely. But they always chose death before dishonor when it came to the battle field. War is an ugly thing, yet the samurai brought what honor they could to the dishonorable act of war, an act that has plagued humanity since the dawn of time.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Thank you. I felt like I was going to have an anerism.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

When a person yells "fire" there are those who run away from the event and those who run towards it.

A Samurai always runs towards it.

And that perspective is Bushido.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

. It just if samurais felt like they failed royalty, or got dishonored, they'd stab themselves.

I think this statment is a little off it makes samurai seem shallow beings with no appreciation of human life.

I would reword this statment to

If the samurai failed there perceived life long purpose which was to serve their choosen master, or dishonored themselves by failing there masters and/or themselves they would choose there death.

After some time the samurai suicide was looked down upon when it came to killing yourself because of the death of your master and the practice almost stopped completely. But they always chose death before dishonor when it came to the battle field. War is an ugly thing, yet the samurai brought what honor they could to the dishonorable act of war, an act that has plagued humanity since the dawn of time.

Thank you Doc.

It is true and insightful, what I was trying to get across is for people to live life by a code kind of like Bushido. To live with honour, in service of others, discipline, to grow ones knowledge & experience.

But as you can see a few Threadorists showed up

I hope you enjoyed the OP and got my message that I was trying to portray within it.

Anyway thank you for popping in and sharing some knowledge.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Originally posted by Bugeisha

this guY! ^ ^ ^

for those with no idea of what bushido means its a great introduction to the extremes of the way, written by someone for whom bushido was something already lost.

like all other philosophy and thought it was twisted by those who wished to use it for their own ends.
see the rise of the nationalists pre WW2

I do however, dislike how long it takes to get good books into the land down under from USA...
Ordered "The Hagakure" & "Sun Tzu Art Of War" still waiting on both of them for quiet some time now

But jumping with excitement can't wait to read the whole thing

edit on 31-7-2013 by The Magicians Apprentice because: Just because it seems logical to correct one self

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Have fun dying then...At your enemies own hand...Make sure it a good worthy enemy...Not some cheap thrill...Or Odin won`t let you...O wait wrong philosophy.

-SIncerely,

your Douche Bag,
Specimen

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
have you read go rin no sho?
the book of five rings is a classic strategy book. while not about strategy it is about the way.

it should be a book you read in your list.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Have fun dying then...At your enemies own hand...Make sure it a good worthy enemy...Not some cheap thrill...Or Odin won`t let you...O wait wrong philosophy.

-SIncerely,

your Douche Bag,
Specimen

Everyone dies at least so far and in respect to European dogma. But in relation to life after death it means life, so effectively death is a transition. Equivalent perhaps to a transition from a papal stage to that of its final disposition in life as we commonly understand it. Death in such a context is effectively another side to a proverbial coin, and another part of life we have yet to consolidate in relation to reality.

Perhaps as a result of evolution, in 5 billion years. We realize that interacting with life after death, is simply a matter of relating consciously to the idea that the dead are still alive.

There actions in life, perhaps related to consequences after what we call death.

Any thoughts?

edit on 31-7-2013 by Kashai because: Added and modifed content

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
have you read go rin no sho?
the book of five rings is a classic strategy book. while not about strategy it is about the way.

it should be a book you read in your list.

Hm.. Might purchase it

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Such writings emphasise that the warrior protects and defends because he / she recognises the value of others and so serves his / her community. This may be expressed in a simple action such as ensuring one’s companion reaches their car or home safely in the night; or perhaps serving the needs of others not well positioned to help themselves. Rather than prey on the vulnerable or ignore them leaving them to risk their own way, the modern “bushi” is there to help, serve and protect according to the ancient virtues encompassed by “the way”, with chivalry, artistry and beauty.

Source

Any thoughts?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join