It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushido The Life In Every Breath + Q&A

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Okamitengu, have you read Yagyu Munenori's book on swordsmanship?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

Originally posted by borntowatch
Bushido hay
Slaughtered allied soldiers (prisoners) like animals.
Truly inhumane monsters

But hay, whatever you want to believe

books.google.com.au...

Bushido, worse than the naziis

Next you're gonna say the Japanese deserved what they got when that tsunami hit right?

You obviously don't have a clue about the term 'Bushido' or Japanese history and culture. To be honest the depth and complexity of the Japanese traditions, spiritual and philosophical, would be too much to fathom for a nimrod like yourself. Go back to your x-box kid.

(Why don't you check out some of the atrocities committed by US service men during the Pacific WW2 conflicts instead of just being an ignoramus, both sides did bad stuff, and what happened during that conflict has zero bearing on the concepts being discussed in this thread. But there's always one knuckle headed flag waver who'll pop up during any discussion involving the Japanese eh?)

edit on 1-8-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

No

Now go read the book............kid
as for any more belittling you, Nahhh, I have matured, (still love the xbox but) I will leave it alone.
Just read the book

Knowledge

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

If you want to comment on Japanese culture, ie Bushido, I can prescribe a lot of books for you to read.

Not going to happen though is it?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

reply to post by borntowatch

If you want to comment on Japanese culture, ie Bushido, I can prescribe a lot of books for you to read.

Not going to happen though is it?

As much chance of that happening as you reading the book I linked

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
I was wondering where mikkyo would pop up.

Seems here..

Perhaps best as an aside from bushido in its own thread. Since while both touch they are not the same. Shugenja and mikkyo are very interesting but not bound by bushido.

Shinto and the nichiren schools are also fascinating incontext of Japanese mysticism. But perhaps we could come together in a thread for that

OP.. if u get 5rings read it first as a sword manual. Buy a subarito or bokken....Practice and try the tecniques.
Then read it as a single warriors way of thinking.
Then read it as for an army.

Then.. from there, like the rest of us with it.... you will read it a gajillionty more times.
Remember to add your thoughts on all these books back to this thread!

I will buy 5 rings and regarding Kendo. I became interested in Japan because the first time I handled a Kendo something clicked. As if natural a connection of some sort, yet I do not know why.I was actually asked by a Kendo teacher who visited our school during international day if I ever had training. However, as a bratty 15 year old I just said not interested and walked off.

Thus I am regretting it still to this day

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I apologise in advance, I hope you will accept my apology *Bows*

I was trying to portray the more spiritual/philosophical side of Bushido.

However, I am still a beginner and I am trying to learn many things..

Also would you be kind enough to recommend some more books.

I am planing to travel to Japan in near future and sign the blood pact of training under Otake Sensei.

Hopefully he will take in a Gaijin like me

I do hope that you have enjoyed reading the OP

edit on 1-8-2013 by The Magicians Apprentice because: Because correcting one self is learning something new.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Magicians Apprentice

I think you might like this link for I too seek the path, dragonintuitive.com... and this one www.northsideaikido.com... from the link

The shakuhachi is an end-blown bamboo flute varying from 1.3 to over 3 feet in length. It came into Japan from China at the end of the 7th century.
so what does that have to do with Bushido? read on

Shakuhachi & Bushido.
After the death of Hideyori Toyotomi in ca.1610 the Tokugawa family came under control ushering Japan into the Edo period, an unprecedented stretch of peace which lasted 250 years. This was the golden age of the Shakuhachi and other Japanese arts which enjoyed support from the government, forming the base of today's "traditional Japan". During this time, the Shakuhachi underwent a transformation from a 6-holed, thin piece of bamboo, to the 5-holed, root-ended bamboo flute that is most common today. Many samurai at that time who's masters were defeated by Tokugawa were forbidden to carry swords and were left homeless. These were the "ronin" (masterless samurai), many of whom joined the ranks of the Komuso monks for spiritual focus as well as a chance to carry a weapon again, namely, the club-like Shakuhachi. Earlier, this sect of monks (formerly known as Komoso, straw mat monks) attracted various riff-raff and beggars; but since the establishment of the Fuke-shu with its strict code of discipline (and support from the Tokugawa government), membership became exclusive to only those with samurai ranking, and the use of Shakuhachi was limited to only the Komuso.
some play to different master than the sword, but when needed can slice your bread tomato or water Mellon.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Please, no apology is needed

Otake Sensei? To meet him indeed would be an honor and a privilege. I am fascinated by the Katori style. From what I can gather Otake Sensei no longer instructs at the Katori Shinto Ryu school, he has passed the reigns on to his son Kyoso Shigetoshi, who is apparently a strict and stern instructor. But what an experience that would be?

A book I highly recommend is 'The Life Giving Sword' by Yagyu Munenori.

Munenori was the founder of the Yagyu Shinkage school. He was a contemporary of Musashi's, but the two men never met. Munenori's book exemplifies the same principals that are present in Mushashi's book, but I find his writing easier to comprehend and less esoteric than Mushashi's. Even so the concepts can be at times difficult for the western mind to grasp. Munenori was highly regarded as a skilled swordsman, who was proven in combat, and who eventually became the Shogun's(Tokugawa Hidetada) personal instructor(There is a famous account of Munenori single handedly cutting down eight men defending Hidetada's father Ieyasu during the battle of Sekigahara, when a breakthrough by Toyotomi samurai came close to the Tokugawa camp and which almost changed the outcome of that pivotal historical battle). His writings, like those of Musashi, have little to do with the term 'Bushido', but more to do with the state of the mind during combat and its relationship to certain principals within the teachings of Zen Buddhism.

With regards to Munenori and Musashi never meeting, they did have a mutual friend, the Zen monk Takuan Soho. Takuan corresponded with both men, and some of his writings to Munenori have been published under the title of 'The Unfettered Mind', another book I highly recommend. Again, this book has nothing to do with the term 'Bushido' and focuses on the mind of the individual engaged in deadly combat.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thank you for posting something positive, we know this World needs that more than anything right now. I already understood everything that you mentioned, yet I still learn something more every single day of my life.

If anyone is interested, check out the book "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. Book changed my life when I was younger. ~$heopleNation

edit on 1-8-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

while i have not read the book i have discussed its contents on several occasions.
i have also had experience with several yagyu line schools.

my traditions have also exposed me to tenshin shoden katori, with opportunities to train in techniques from that lineage.
i have also been on my own pilgramage to the katori shinto shrine in Katori chibaken home of the tenshin shoden line.
a wonderful day, from the shrine i carry a white oak bokken with a prayer for martial artists carved into the tsuka.

i sat at the shrine and watched a girl train yarijutsu in full hakama. sugoi utsukushii...
i also did a pilgramage to the togakushi jinja. hiding place of daisuke nishina .. for those familiar with the names of history and tradition.

once the path to budo is started, its very hard to stop. every breath somewhere deep inside touches your budo.
the last tradition i took on was kyudo. i studied in japan and it still fills my mind each day. my brain practices the hassetsu while i do my job.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Please, no apology is needed

Otake Sensei? To meet him indeed would be an honor and a privilege. I am fascinated by the Katori style. From what I can gather Otake Sensei no longer instructs at the Katori Shinto Ryu school, he has passed the reigns on to his son Kyoso Shigetoshi, who is apparently a strict and stern instructor. But what an experience that would be?

A book I highly recommend is 'The Life Giving Sword' by Yagyu Munenori.

Munenori was the founder of the Yagyu Shinkage school. He was a contemporary of Musashi's, but the two men never met. Munenori's book exemplifies the same principals that are present in Mushashi's book, but I find his writing easier to comprehend and less esoteric than Mushashi's. Even so the concepts can be at times difficult for the western mind to grasp. Munenori was highly regarded as a skilled swordsman, who was proven in combat, and who eventually became the Shogun's(Tokugawa Hidetada) personal instructor(There is a famous account of Munenori single handedly cutting down eight men defending Hidetada's father Ieyasu during the battle of Sekigahara, when a breakthrough by Toyotomi samurai came close to the Tokugawa camp and which almost changed the outcome of that pivotal historical battle). His writings, like those of Musashi, have little to do with the term 'Bushido', but more to do with the state of the mind during combat and its relationship to certain principals within the teachings of Zen Buddhism.

With regards to Munenori and Musashi never meeting, they did have a mutual friend, the Zen monk Takuan Soho. Takuan corresponded with both men, and some of his writings to Munenori have been published under the title of 'The Unfettered Mind', another book I highly recommend. Again, this book has nothing to do with the term 'Bushido' and focuses on the mind of the individual engaged in deadly combat.

Are you referring to Mushin or Mushan ?
I can not remember the term properly was taught by my father long ago "The Mind Of No Mind".

I would like to get taught by him and not his son, I know he is his son and all but a master of 30 + years of the sword is far beyond that of a son. No disrespect or anything..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

Thank you for posting something positive, we know this World needs that more than anything right now. I already understood everything that you mentioned, yet I still learn something more every single day of my life.

If anyone is interested, check out the book "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. Book changed my life when I was younger. ~$heopleNation

edit on 1-8-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

Thank you for popping in

Welcome to the thread and hope you had a good time having the OP.
Thank you for your recommendation also

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Yep, can confirm that Otake Sensai is no longer instructing actively.

I did have the priveldge to watch his son and the rest of Otake Dojo demonstrate at the Meiji Jingu Embu last year. Soke even made an appearance
Got a few snaps, i'll shamefully admit.

With all given respect, i can see that Seabhac knows what they are about, very sound advice and great info for the OP.

OP, re; Training with Risuke Okate, Otake Sensai, respectfully, never going to happen. That incredible individual is well into his 90's.

Katori is a great style to work towards

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

my traditions have also exposed me to tenshin shoden katori, with opportunities to train in techniques from that lineage.
i have also been on my own pilgramage to the katori shinto shrine in Katori chibaken home of the tenshin shoden line.
a wonderful day, from the shrine i carry a white oak bokken with a prayer for martial artists carved into the tsuka.

i sat at the shrine and watched a girl train yarijutsu in full hakama. sugoi utsukushii...
i also did a pilgramage to the togakushi jinja. hiding place of daisuke nishina .. for those familiar with the names of history and tradition.

!!

The best part of the pilgrimage is carrying back ones Bokuto on public transport all the way back to where you came from, "Ahh... another Gaijin with fanciful ambitions"

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugeisha

I am pretty much certain that when Barrack Obama was a child. He could very well have had a fantasy about being the President of the United States.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bugeisha

!!

The best part of the pilgrimage is carrying back ones Bokuto on public transport all the way back to where you came from, "Ahh... another Gaijin with fanciful ambitions"

lol i had a renta car (:
if you guys are in japan, or going to japan, U2U me .. i have a cabin in Nagano up in the mountains and i will happily give a discount on rental to any budoka or ATS-ka who wants to use it (:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
You want to know why so much emphasis was put on Slow Breathing back then? Because they didn't have toothpaste!

XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

No way? That's incredible man, beautiful place to have a home, sincere thanks for the offer!

Looking to be back in Dec for a weeks training or so in Kawasaki, ideally hoping to stay an extra week for the snow, so i may indeed shoot you a U2U closer to date
cheers again, true gent!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

if you guys are in japan, or going to japan, U2U me .. i have a cabin in Nagano up in the mountains and i will happily give a discount on rental to any budoka or ATS-ka who wants to use it (:

How much does a nice cabin go for these days in Nagano up in the mountains ?
I am interested some day purchasing a nice little place and just living in nature.
Where I can free up my mind more and meditate on the essence of life.

I think it would be a great place to spend ones time and practice deeper zen meditation

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
any one can use a sword, but it is the discipline, the beliefs, that makes one, a Samurai
the 9 paths one can take , walk on all, as one , then you are on the path of self.
Jin
Gi
Rei
Chi
Shin
Chu
Sei
Makoto
Meiyo.
In this is one, one will find self fullness and roundness, for in it, is ones self.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join