It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Push Tries to Confiscate Firearms From Felons, Mentally Ill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Seems to me there's something seriously wrong with this picture. Why is government going after legal gun owners and ignoring gun buys on the street?

There are plenty of gangbangers they could be hitting up for illegal arms. Legal gun owners are just easy targets.

Are you neurotic or do you have OCD? Congratulations, you have a mental illness. Your compulsive hand-washing makes you ineligible to own a gun.

Stupid knee-jerk politics.

Edit to add that I guess the mentally ill and those who have done their time aren't entitled to a means to defend themselves. Sickening.

edit on 7/27/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by crazyewok

Because treating people who went to jail, did their time and are free now, as second class citizens is stupid. It's like a caste system, I do not find that acceptable.

Maybe but as society we should be able to draw the line somewhere. The difficult thing is WHERE do the majority draw the line at. And the really messed up part is that we cant even trust our own government to make rational decisions.

Some/many of the beauracrats are more dangerous than felons who did 20 years in jail.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

My personal line, if you have been convicted of maliciously abusing the right to bear arms, that is about the only line I see as acceptable being drawn.

If I had to choose between keeping my right to defense, and seeing a shrink, I am choosing my right to defense every single time. I doubt I am alone in that. If they choose to stigmatize mental illness even further, it does nothing but make the problem that much worse.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

ok.

but did they forfeit that right when they registered their firearms in the state they reside in?

this is a genuine question that i do not know the answer to. the whole freeman/drivers license thing comes to mind...i dont understand statutory law.
edit on 27-7-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

My personal line, if you have been convicted of maliciously abusing the right to bear arms, that is about the only line I see as acceptable being drawn.

If I had to choose between keeping my right to defense, and seeing a shrink, I am choosing my right to defense every single time. I doubt I am alone in that. If they choose to stigmatize mental illness even further, it does nothing but make the problem that much worse.

I dont see depression as a serious issue especially now with this crappy economy where so many people cant make ends meet. However schizophrenia is different. Go get treatment and if the shrink says to the state you are ok then give him the weapon.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
who decides what is mental illness? how does one screen for such?

how long before they decide a mental screening is required to apply for a permit/license/registration?

"so why do you want to own a firearm?"

"self defense"

"self defense from whom?"

"anybody attempting to jeopardize my safety and livelihood."

"paranoid schizophrenic. application denied."

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingRelentlessly

And rightly so.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

"anybody attempting to jeopardize my safety and livelihood."

Lol, maybe if the shrink himself/herself is sick then yeah. But normally self defense is commonly understood the same everywhere. Even in the UK with the strictest gun laws you can shoot to kill if someone is trying to burglarise your home and is carrying a weapon.

People fear too much me thinks. And if you cant get a weapon legally then just go to the ghettos and get it illegally. Works every time. Heck even a kitchen knife can be used for legal defense most of the time.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 27-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Because treating people who went to jail, did their time and are free now, as second class citizens is stupid. It's like a caste system, I do not find that acceptable.

so once a pedophile comes out of prison he should be able to get a job with children?

Same principle.

If you want your right to bare arms dont become a violent felon. End of.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

yes indeed. self preservation is an epidemic.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldmeatwad

Anyone care to guess how many moves away from check mate we are?
Any links to stories or threads that show an equal opposite reaction with positive outcome?

I'm not sure I disagree with this...Felons can not have firearms, so what is the issue there. Mentally ill on the other hand is rather grey, but we can also agree that there are ill people that should not have firearms either.

Didn't Chicago just pass concealed carry laws? That in itself is a big thing for that city.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

But normally self defense is commonly understood the same everywhere.

apparently not on Endor.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by suz62

Edit to add that I guess the mentally ill and those who have done their time aren't entitled to a means to defend themselves.

For Felons it is a bigger picture in the forfeit their civil rights and gun ownership is just one part of that loss.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Edit to add that I guess the mentally ill and those who have done their time aren't entitled to a means to defend themselves.

For Felons it is a bigger picture in the forfeit their civil rights and gun ownership is just one part of that loss.

Not all felons are violent.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Im sorry but I dont want someone with a extreme mental deficancy in judgmenet and whats right and wrong haveing a blunt pair of sissors let alone a gun.

Your just asking for gun rampages and mass deaths then

Someone who has a major and debilitating mental health illness most likley wont know what the right use of self defence is.

Someone with Schizophrenia could very well get it into there heads that shooting up a town center is self defence as the people there are (insert dellusion here) and will harm them...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Im sorry but I dont want something with a extrem mental deficancy in judgmenet and whats right and wrong haveing a blunt pair of sissors let alone a gun.

Since you live in the UK you should be safe. It always amuses me when Brits offer their opinion about what America should do about gun violence.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
We might not all be felons but I can assure you we all suffer from varying degrees of mental illness

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
People sometimes make no sense at all to me.

We watch folks in the gun debate scream for months to pass no new laws. Just enforce the laws we have. I'm among them, for that matter. That part? Makes sense... The laws we have are NOT enforced and that lay at the heart of 90% of the gun violence and gun problems. Current law just isn't meaningful.

So.. When a couple states DO start enforcing existing law, they're evil gestapo? Okie... We're a nation of law or we aren't. On so many things these days... Opinion is Opinion. Law is Law. If we don't like the law, push to change it. Disregarding it by disagreement is called criminal action.

Perhaps by enforcing it, even more people will want to act on changing it, if it's really against a large %'s wishes.

Speaking for myself? I don't want someone on psych meds for good reasons, standing next to me on a firing range with a high power weapon. I sure don't want a convicted rapist, killer or other violent felon next to me with that same high power weapon. That's flat out insane and I can't even see who finds it logical outside those who HAVE those issues, so have a personal benefit by seeing the laws ignored or remain unenforced (among those states where felons haven't already been restored gun rights).

It sometimes seems there's almost a following and admiration for criminals at times. I wonder how the Romans felt ...in the days before collapse?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

[

Since you live in the UK you should be safe. It always amuses me when Brits offer their opinion about what America should do about gun violence.

Yeah well its a international forum so deal with it
Plus I hate hearing every other month about a mass shooting in some school or university.

And I dont think guns should be banned. I repect your right to bare arms.

But there has to be a a freaking line! A sensible cut off!

What next would you give a down syndrome guy with a IQ of 50 a gun? A toddler? A repeat violent offender?
At some point your asking for trouble

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join