It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

memory upgrade using old upgraded memory from a different laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i recently upgraded my laptop with a 1tb hard drive plus 2 4gig memory modules and its working a lot better and faster.
my wife has a laptop that has 2 1gig modules and i was wondering if my old 2 2gig module memory would fit and upgrade it, or do i need to buy the exact ones for her laptop?
my own laptop is a different model than hers but her one is only a few years old....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I think it will depend on what type of memory you want to replace. You can't interchange DDR, DDR2or DDR3they just won't physically fit into the slot.

Sometimes the laptop will only take memory up to a certain type (DDR,DDR2,DDR3) , certain size (Gb) or speed (Mhz). You will have to check at he manufacutres website. Its almost like asking will the engine from my old car fit in my new car? It depends on the car you will have to check.

I just upgraded the memory in an old notebook for someone and that would only accept up to 1xDDR2 2GB max at no faster than 600hz. So just because it fits doesnt mean its going to work ok or even recognise the rams full capacity. Check up before you experiment

edit on 20-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Visit the crucial website and check the memory types for both laptops if they're close enough to work

But generally with memory you can try it and see if it works and if not just pop the old stuff back in

link   
i found some (ram) in a box of old computer crap and upgraded mine.

other than takin her computer apart to see if they are the same kind, you could try looking on some online sites selling memory upgrades and 'cross reference' your 2 computers to see if they take the same kind.

link   
Online Memory Scan Tool

That's the gizmo you want. Download and run on her machine. It will scan her memory slots and motherboard, then report back what they can hold for type and size in each slot as well as total capacity. It makes memory buying and matching a snap.

Crucial is a major memory company and you can back check the company/link all you need to. It is legit, but check if you feel better. I probably would.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Dont forget to take the battery out!!!

Generally if it will physically fit it will be fine.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Look at the memory that you removed from your upgraded PC. It "should" have a paper sticker on one side that will say something like 1GB DDR2 667Mhz . Check the older machine and see if it's the same.

Memory in laptops tend to be smaller PCB's than desktop memory. All the different memory sticks have a unique type of edge connector so you can't plug the wrong type in.

As long as the specification is the same as suggested by the laptop manufacturer the brand of memory shouldn't matter. As an example my Gateway laptop had Corsair memory and my Lenovo had Kingston - both were interchangeable as they were the same specification - just one set were 1GB each and the other 2GB each.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
will give it a go and see what happens. shame to throw out the other memory i had but will definately remove battery before i try it. thanks for all info

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You should be able to bring the specs up for you laptops and there memory type manufacturer name followed by the serial number off the underside of the chassis add specifications or spec "Dell 111-3222-9abcd spec" or follow the far more enlightening approach provided her,
www.which.co.uk...
good luck.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Did a check and my old memory won't fit her laptop and anyway, she says she is happy the way it is anyway! Women!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
will give it a go and see what happens. shame to throw out the other memory i had but will definately remove battery before i try it. thanks for all info

Just sell it on eBay, thats what i always do

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well, while the wife was at her pals house, I thought I would see if my old memory would fit on her laptop. She had one memory which was 2 gb and other memory slot was empty. I fitted both of my old 2 fb into both memory slots and now she has just over 4gb of memory as they both worked!
Her hard drive is only about 250gb and I asked her if she wanted a bigger one fitted but she is of the opinion if it ain't broke, why fix it?
She only really uses it for Facebook so don't see the need to upgrade that as well. Although I have itchy fingers to do so

At least my old memory has been of some use instead of gathering dust. And it is going a bit faster now..

top topics

join