It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss woman gang-rape: 6 accused awarded life imprisonment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

Interesting take on the subject. Why are you directing this towards me? I have no dog in that fight.

But since you seem not able to let go, is this exclusively a "Christian" issue?
Which other faiths in your view also demonstrate these flawed beliefs?

edit on 20-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Interesting take on the subject. Why are you directed this towards me? I have no dog in that fight.

But since you seem not able to let go, is this exclusively a "Christian" issue?
Which other faiths in your view also demonstrate these flawed beliefs?

Good point. Even if you don't believe that Jesus was the Word as one New Testament author said and that He was the one responsible for inspiring Holy Men before he came to walk in the flesh. The Old Testament is part of Islamic and Judaic faiths.

Therefore freedom of religion doesn't just support rape under Christian law, it supports it under Islamic and Judaic law.

So, it's not just a Christian issue even though before you mentioned it in your last post I didn't really think to consider that it's not just a Christian law that allows rape of unbetrothed women. However, it is a bizarre rule given that rape is a felony violation of law and that Christian tenets of faith require you to obey the law. Major contradiction unless you consider that maybe laws prohibiting rape aren't in accordance with divine will or justice.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

That said, if death sentences were carried out quickly and efficently I could agree with you, but as it stands, and I am sure that statistics will back me up, it costs considerably more to execute a person than it does to simply keep them incarcerated for life. Even criminals have rights, and as such, have to be afforded due process, this applies to death row convicts more than any other. The cost is phenomenal to execute, all things taken into consideration. Besides, mistakes have happened, miscarriages of justice, mistaken identity, you name it...

That's why I'd cap it at 20 years. So they could have their time for appeals.

As far as actually putting someone to death, I think it would be simplest to just pop em in the head.
We could afford a bullet here and there.

China used to actually bill the executed inmates family for the bullet that killed him but It would cost more to bill for that in our convoluted system.

Of course, if all inmates had to actually earn their keep to eat then this would all be a moot point.

If we could get people to quit being criminals I think I'd be just fine with that too.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula
Therefore freedom of religion doesn't just support rape under Christian law, it supports it under Islamic and Judaic law.

So, you have issues with the Abrahamic faiths. okay, now what about the 6 convicted of Rape in THIS case?

Set them free?

Pat them on the back?

Small smack on the wrist?

Give them a talking to using harsh language?

or

Simply express how disappointed you are in them?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm pleased of the outcome, its certainly a good first step in the right direction for women's rights in the country.
It is only a stop, due to the issues being very deeply rooted into the community and throughout the government.

I would like this precedent applied to all rape cases (swiss or native), the simple fact is tens of thousands if not millions get raped in that part of the world with their rapists never being brought to justice or through long court cases.
With these cases "talking out" can often have much worse consequences for the victim.

I'm all for shooting the rapist, if it helps the victim sleep better at night why not.
Life in jail though may be allot worse than death though in India.

Can we quit on this "Jesus" debate, religion no justification for rape and the rapists certainly knew what they were doing was wrong. Rapists have a very different mentality to most in that they enjoy hurting and get off on their victims suffering.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I'm not sure quite how Christianity, Jesus Christ or religion in general came into this?

As it happens, these rapists and cohorts were most likely Hindu, since that is, by far, the predominant religion across the billion or so inhabitants of India. They could also be Muslim, as that's the second runner for area control of faith in that nation but I saw nothing to indicate they were out of the mainstream for Faith in India, leading me to conclude the Hindu call is a safe one.

Whatever was on the minds of the 4 who raped her while the two others subdued and restrained the husband, I'm pretty sure religion wasn't among the items anyway?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My late father-in-law worked as a jail guard in Canada back when the "lash" was still in use, and although he never administered it, on occasion he did have to witness it being given. He told me that just about everyone who received the lash as part of their sentence for a sexual crime, found it to be an instant and permanent cure for whatever damage the psychiatrists said was caused by the parents of the poor guy, back when he was a child.
Bring back the lash! Not only is it a fitting punishment for sexual crimes, it also cuts way back on the length of time the inmate spends in jail. As a determent there is none better!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

As far as actually putting someone to death, I think it would be simplest to just pop em in the head.

Repent! Jesus is the word!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ah yes, justice for rape victims, regardless of gender. Don't you just love it when they get it, when it seems to fit the function it's supposed to serve.

Good on India, for this temporary respite from its norm indifference to victims of rape. What I'd like to know is...what's going on here?

www.bbc.co.uk...

How absurd, ludicrous, utterly bereft of justice and an insult to the offence. Dubai, you are utterly stupid and medieval!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
found it to be an instant and permanent cure for whatever damage the psychiatrists said was caused by the parents of the poor guy, back when he was a child.

It should cure it. Especially when you consider that 1 out of 33 boys and 1 out of 6 women are victims who never use their own past as an excuse to abuse someone else.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire

Good on India, for this temporary respite from its norm indifference to victims of rape.

The last time some girls were raped in India to my recollection Indian women protested in large numbers.

Iran....I saw a video of them hanging two or three rapists from a crane and a bus that drove out from underneath them in public.

If you're looking for barbaric indifference you would have to go to someplace like Bangledesh where they punish the victims or someplace like Utah where women praise Helen Mar Kimball to submitting to Joseph Smith's command that God had commanded their marriage and she described her opposition to the marriage as that of "a small earthquake".

And strangely enough there is a Beehive on Utah's flag and Utah had several small earthquakes over the years and lies on a fault line that created those mountains.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I gotta say I think it has to do something with the caste system and being subjugated to intense hierarchy etc.

Women are also much more traditional so it would seem India would be bound to have millions of sexually frustrated men running about with no way to quell it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the update Wrabbit.

Good for justice, for once.

They deserve all they get the scum, rapists are on a par with kiddy fiddlers in my book.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
India has a real problem. They need to start fixing the problem in the next generation while at the same time severely punishing offenders with shock consequences like castration.....I am serious. Public awareness needs to be increased and made to focus on this issue.

I and many like me have lost all interest in going to India. I also consider this when interacting with males of this culture....

edit on 20-7-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

with no way to quell it.

India is a hop skip and a jump from Thailand, popular for legal prostitution and many of the women are pretty good looking. Some even look better than Americans. And they are cheap.

And there are no commitments or obligations. No children. No ties. Only fun.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Miracula:

If you're looking for barbaric indifference you would have to go to someplace like Bangledesh where they punish the victims.

Nah, I'll just look up 'female genital mutilation' (FGM), it provides all the regions where barbarity on females continues and takes place, and in the name of religion, of course.

Apologies to the OP, as I know it is a slight tangential issue, but remains within the realm of female sexual subjugation by the usual suspects of medieval barbarity.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I'm no stranger to anti-theism or speaking my ill will towards Abrahamic faiths. I share your sentiment but it doesn't have much if any bearing here.

If anything it would be Hinduism. Which still would be derailing the topic matter.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
rape is not about sex drive, it is about power.

Actually it's about Jesus. Since Jesus said he didn't come to do away with Old Testament law.

It's about righteousness and standing up for Jesus.

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

There are many versions, and many contradictions amongst those versions of what Jesus may or may not have said. Besides, this woman was married, therefore, according to those laws, both her and her assailants should have been killed.

None of this detracts from the previous assertion that rape is about power, not about sex drive.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It is the appeals that cost the most money, best, as the studies have suggested, to go straight for life with no parole.

China used to actually bill the executed inmates family for the bullet that killed him but It would cost more to bill for that in our convoluted system.

Given China's human rights record in the past, not the best example, and still my previous point remains, mistakes can and have been made. Innocent people have been unjustly imprisoned and executed, taking that into consideration, and tend to consider what would happen if that were me, or mine, I'd want all the due process in the world. Wouldn't you?

Of course, if all inmates had to actually earn their keep to eat then this would all be a moot point.

Now that I can most definately agree with, for all prisoners, occupation is by far the best solution, and it cuts down on the crime that occurs within the prison walls too...the devil making work for light fingers and all that. Plus, rehabilitation wise, for those who commit lesser crimes, it cuts down on recidivism.

If we could get people to quit being criminals I think I'd be just fine with that too.

Yeah, that too...but until then...and until those with money, power and influence set a better example instead of an aspirational one of moral relativism...well ya know?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Most likely this gang rape problem in India is advanced and perpetrated by a wide spread group that doesn't value women, looks down upon women, and thinks gang rape of a woman is gods work.

Hindu's don't have these kinds of sexual hangups.

Most likely this is the actions of the same groups of people doing these things in Europe and the rest of the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join