It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

humanity punished in eternal hell? Theology

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I just don't understand why people want to believe that the fate of the unsaved is to spend eternity in conscious torment when there is simply no clear scripture to support that belief. I don't understand why they try to read into scripture something that makes the loving supreme being of the Bible into a heartless monster. I simply do not understand what there is that makes them want to do that when there is no need to. Why do they want to believe that a loving supreme being will give immortality to a person so that He can horribly torture the person for eternity because during their fleeting few years of life they didn't satisfy certain requirements? I just don't understand why they wouldn't rather believe that a loving supreme being will wipe the person mercifully out of existence because for some reason they didn't or couldn't meet these requirements and didn't develop or have the potential to develop the right character needed to spend eternity with this supreme being.

Assumptions have to be made about the meaning of certain words. There are no black and white scriptures that absolutely prove everlasting torture. A person has to WANT that to be the case when forming an opinion about the meaning of a word.

Take the words "everlasting punishment" in Matthew 25:46 - If you interpret it to mean "everlasting torture" it must be because you want it to mean that since you could just as easily interpret it to mean something else. There is no scripture that proves the "punishment" mentioned means torture.

If you think that it is fit and proper to torture a person for eternity because during their fleeting few years of life they didn’t or couldn’t meet the supreme being's requirements nor develop or have the potential to develop the right character needed to spend eternity with this supreme being, then you will very likely interpret the word "punishment' to mean torture. But why do that? Are we really to believe that sin is so repugnant to God, but torture isn't?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rstrats
I just don't understand why people want to believe that the fate of the unsaved is to spend eternity in conscious torment when there is simply no clear scripture to support that belief....................

Unfortunately it is very easy.God has given them over to a reprobate mind with a strong delusion that they would believe lies.They say "lord lord didn't we do many works in your name....

The scriptures themselves are a witness that God is saving everyone not just a few.No one is getting annihilated.It is the nature of Gods name do save completly .... he can do nothing less. Yet the religious carnal mind can't know that.They believe another gospel...one where the eternal punishment of hell is just and merciful.They know neither the scriptures nor the power of God.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Rex282

There is no place that is the eternal punishment of hell.
The New Testament says that there is a hell.

Jim per usual you don't know what the hell you are talking about.For someone who prides themselves on language and being learned you are very ignorant of the basics.
Do the Greek NT scriptures have the word "hell" in them...I'll answer ...no.(just as they don't have Jesus)

In the NT hell is translated from 3 Greek words
Hades,Gehenna,Tartarus

Hades and Gehenna do not mean eternal punishment and Tartarus is Greek mythology.

Hades means the grave, the realm of the dead, the realm of imperception

Gehenna was the "valley of Hinnom," "valley of the son of Hinnom" or "valley of the children of Hinnom."outside of Jerusalem where heathens(including some Israelites) who worshiped Baals and Moch burned their children as sacrifice.

Neither are literal places of eternal punishment by The creator God.Yahoshua very clearly meant something else since he very well knew what he said.Your belief is character assassination of the creator God you have made in your own image by the indoctrination from your cult church.It is impossible for God to be the unjust monster you believe he is.

Half of your scripture "quotes" aren't even about what you call hell.They are religious extrapolations to try to prove a blasphemous point.The scriptures overwhelmingly testify that Yahoshua is the savior of ALL..not just some like you.Fortunately God will save you to even though you blaspheme him.He is much more merciful,wise and just than you and your foolish thoughts of religion.

You are so blinded by the letter of the law you don't desire mercy at all.Go learn what the scriptures mean before you spew your foolishness.You know neither the scriptures nor the power of God.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

You are so blinded by the letter of the law you don't desire mercy at all.Go learn what the scriptures mean before you spew your foolishness.
Reciting word origins is no key to understanding. (a translational noobe pitfall)
Seriously, do you really believe that when you see in the gospels Jesus saying hell by way of the word, gehenna, that he literally meant a particular garbage heap outside Jerusalem?

You know neither the scriptures nor the power of God.
It is something I work at though, spending a couple hours a day at least reading them in the Greek.
I don't just sit around dreaming about something I read in a Bible years ago, and make up cute sounding interpretations about what I think I remember about them .
I think that the words are defined by their usage, so that the more uses that you can find of particular words, the better you can understand what the writers meant by them.
edit on 13-8-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join