It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an Atheist Pray If..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm of the belief that I would possibly take a couple of seconds to ask any God that may be listening for a little help.

I do not believe in "God". But, my belief is just that, a belief. My intelligence does not allow for certainty involving anything in which I can not truly be certain.

An open-mind acknowledges all other possibilities. No matter how far fetched and unlikely they may be.

When it comes down to the life or death of a loved one. I would likely want to cover all known bases.

And if by chance, they did indeed survive. My beliefs would not be drastically altered. I would likely see it from a more mathematical, less miracle, point of view.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

You made the claim. Has it occurred to you that while a large number of people may be theists, not all of them believe in the abrahamic god? Christianity is only 2,000 years old. Other religions have lasted 10,000 years before dying out. Just give it time. Oh, and I'm still waiting for those sources.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

God has failed humanity, just look around. The time of Gods is coming to an end then the time of humanity will blossom, we will be the new God.
Like I said I will trust a fellow human over a so called God any day.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by boymonkey74

How can you not be atheist and at the same time think God doesn't care? I'm rattled by that statement.

I'm not convinced that you understand the definition of "atheist".

You are saying that his negative opinion of a god makes him unable to be an atheist. Doesn't any opinion about any god confirm that a person is not an atheist?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Firewater

Your response was fair, until you came to the end. How in the world could you give credit to mathematics after offering prayer? That's just ridiculous.
edit on 18-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I never said you had to pray to the God of the Bible. I was speaking prayer in general. So I don't need sources to back that up.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Man has failed man time and time again, yet you still trust him as if he has all the answers. Sure, man comes through from time to time, but so does God. So what's the difference?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

My bad, I worded that wrong.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Its an unequal business relationship, chess master and pawn. If you're not with him, you are against him. You are expendable in his grand quest to catch 'em all, like Pokemon. You are but a tiny stone in the asphalt he walks upon to reach his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master. And the only time he shares is when he owns your butt while doing it. Excellent business strategy...for a shark.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Are you serious? What does that example have to do with the topic at hand. I think you getting desperate for a reasonable response

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I would do what we atheists call hope, you see this thing called
prayer is a side effect of hope, more or less putting hope into
words, while i understand religious folks want to believe that
a god will "answer" their prayer i know that most of them doubt,
at the very least somewhat, that it will happen, so really its just
a strong desire for their loved one to get better.

Religion needs to learn some honesty and morality, if you have
to lie to yourself and others just to placate your own desires
id say its a waste of time, but what do i know.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I think someone would have to be very odd if they didn’t try to plead or bargain with the universe to make something bad go away – it’s the expectation of it actually working that’s going to be different with atheists

Some prayers I wish I was cool enough to remember when stuff goes badly wrong

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call me. They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live forever.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

But what I actually end up praying is ohcrapohcrapohcrap

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I wouldn't classify myself as an atheist. Nor do I subscribe to any religion. However, I think I would pray. I would do anything to save my child and it's not as if praying would hurt.

edit on 19-7-2013 by U4ea82 because: late night typos

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

So in other words, your answer is no you wouldn't? Your so tough and prideful that you wouldn't even consider that it might work. Talk about selfish, I'd hate to have my child haunt me and say "Why didn't you pray for me? God was willing, but you never asked".

ROFL
Sounds like the plot of a pg 13 horror movie.

BETTY DIDN'T PRAY FOR HER CHILD, SO HER CHILD DIED AND CAME BACK A WERE-GHOST!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

I can respect this view. Unfortunately in this day and age it's hard for some not to doubt. Even those with faith. You hit right on in regards to those who lie to themselves and others to try to prove something. IMO, it's not that serious, maybe if some didn't try to keep up with the Jones's things would be better for them.

Nice reply

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

How would that be any more impossible than what you believe in?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

Thank you
. Sadly some are so stuck in their ways that they would just chop it up to the game. But hey, to each their own when it comes to faith.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
My sister kinda believes in God, but she's not really religious.

When she became pregnant there were complications with her baby, doctors were worried the baby may have Downs Syndrome, and would be unlikely to live. Further tests were issued, and in the mean time my sister prayed and prayed and prayed to God for her baby to be okay.

A few days later, doctors told her the tests were okay and her baby was going to be fine.

My sister was delighted, thanked God repeatedly, and her belief was strengthened.

A week later, the baby died of kidney failure.

You tell me, what kind of an asshole God would put her through that?

Some atheists pray, some don't. When atheists pray it's not because they secretly believe, it's because the world is a harsh and brutal place, and even the staunchest atheist for a moment just hopes he is wrong somehow, but I tell you what, even if God is real, if he is willing to answer your prayer only to throw something ten times worse at you right afterwards like he is playing a sick game, what the hell is the point?

My example above is a good one I think, because her baby could have lived, and I am sure she would have credited God for saving the baby, but it goes to show it was just chance, God was never there, and if he was, he certainly doesn't give a crap about the happiness and wellbeing of us humans.
edit on 19-7-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

I'm not trying to down play the story. But how is it that the doctors didn't know or warn that kidney failure was a possibility? Maybe God did prove Himself by answering the first prayer. And therefore life was extended. Who's fault is it that you were possibly lied to about the real problem? Maybe in all that God showed both His power as well as the fallibility of man when it comes to such matters? Yet you blame God, but God answered, man didn't.
edit on 19-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Would anyone at all pray if...?

Robert Heinlein analyzed the decision to pray during slack times in a crisis in his novel Glory Road. Praying doesn't cost anything, it might help, and it can't hurt. Any rational person would do it in some situations. If they did, what would supernatural belief have to do with it, one way or the other? As the OP put it:

Once again, it's not guaranteed that God will grant your prayer, but it's worth a shot.

Precisely. But "being worth a shot" is independent of belief in God, or in which god, if any, really handles what situations. The analysis turns on the low cost of the activity. The analysis does not require that "help" takes the form of a "solution" or contributing to a solution. Help might consist of preparing the mind to face up to a seriously possible loss.

People pay counselors for that kind of assistance; it's worth something. If you can have some of that for free, what issue is there with helping yourself? What would being an atheist have to do with performing an elementary cost-benefit analysis?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join