learn more

Would an Atheist Pray If..

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

What? How would that be any less possible than a child not haunting you and asking why you didn't pray for him or her? Am I in Narnia?

If you think you're "haunted" by a child that you didn't pray for, you're probably haunted by your own guilt. Prayer is a means for the superstitious to cope with situations that are beyond their control. If it doesn't work in Africa, it ain't working here. That's just modern science and technology proving successful where god and faith fail.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by humphreysjim

I'm not trying to down play the story. But how is it that the doctors didn't know or warn that kidney failure was a possibility?

It was completely unconnected to the first issue.

Maybe God did prove Himself by answering the first prayer. And therefore life was extended.

What kind of extension to life is that? It got my sister's hopes us, made her think God was helping her, and then made the baby's death even harder to stomach. Like a sick, evil game.

Who's fault is it that you were possibly lied to about the real problem?

We weren't lied to, but God knew about it. Why would he save the baby from the first issue only to let it die in pain days later, having never been born?

Maybe in all that God showed both His power as well as the fallibility of man when it comes to such matters? Yet you blame God, but God answered, man didn't.

I don't blame God at all, for me this is pretty compelling evidence that he is not there.

I am just using this as an example to show the folly of prayer.
edit on 19-7-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Nice try. But I think the plan you might be referring to is God's overall plan for mankind. What does that have to do with the path you chose in life for yourself?

You've never heard of god's divine plan?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
What is praying to God? if not just wishing for better luck?

Thats what i do, i may say "help me God" but what im feeling is that the universe dealt me a bad hand and I hope for it to turn around.

Also if God makes everything happen for a reason, God has already decided my fate and there for, a waste of time to wish other wise. Though when in the bible God seems to answer prayers, is that God changing its mind or just part of the plan all along?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Fair enough, I really don't like to debate when it comes someone's family. It can get pretty sensitive. Thanks for the replies though.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

No offence to other Christians, but I don't care what the churches teach, if it is not in line with scripture then I'm not buying it. I could quote a dozen scriptures which would show that apparently God does answer prayers, but I won't bore you with that. All throughout scripture people have prayed and God delivered, or should I say, changed his plan.

Oh! Well! If the Bible says so! Tell me, if Christians have this clear and open line to God's private red phone, what the heck are they praying for, that there is still so much misery in the world? Obviously, they're not praying for the right things!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
What is praying to God? if not just wishing for better luck?

.....is that God changing its mind or just part of the plan all along?

That's a good question and one I have pondered myself. I really can't say for sure but I'd probably go with the latter. The thing is, none of us knows what God's plan is for us as an individual. We all have to carry our own cross, the question is, how far will you carry yours.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

No offence to other Christians, but I don't care what the churches teach, if it is not in line with scripture then I'm not buying it. I could quote a dozen scriptures which would show that apparently God does answer prayers, but I won't bore you with that. All throughout scripture people have prayed and God delivered, or should I say, changed his plan.

Oh! Well! If the Bible says so! Tell me, if Christians have this clear and open line to God's private red phone, what the heck are they praying for, that there is still so much misery in the world? Obviously, they're not praying for the right things!

Man is the one keeping people in misery, not God. If man weren't so selfish and greedy the world wouldn't be in such bad shape. You can't blame God for the choices man makes no more than you can say "devil made me do it". In the end they will get what they deserve.
edit on 19-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Does a child deserve to die from cancer or any other ill?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I never said you had to pray to the God of the Bible. I was speaking prayer in general. So I don't need sources to back that up.

You said more than half the world is believers. Granted, you never said what they believed in...
edit on 19-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

That's a good question and one I have pondered myself. I really can't say for sure but I'd probably go with the latter. The thing is, none of us knows what God's plan is for us as an individual. We all have to carry our own cross, the question is, how far will you carry yours.

So you're saying that you don't know how prayer fits into his omniscience and preexistent design?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Sure, man comes through from time to time, but so does God.

Okay, folks, I'm jumpin' in here.
Interesting thread - the OP question did get me to thinking - but I had not come up with a response yet.
But -
reading this above, RTS, WHEN did "God" come through in any provable way?

I happen to believe in collective consciousness, AND in mind over matter - as in, I believe a person can self-heal - it DOES happen. But - in the situations you gave in the OP -

honestly, if my child were at death's door, beyond all help, I would have been making silent prayers to "God" (or the angels or whatever ethereal powers there are out there) all along, just as I did when my father had just died and then - 3 weeks later - my HUSBAND nearly died. At the same time, literally, we found out my brother had a pituitary tumor the size of a baby's fist that was causing him all kinds of problems - had probably had it for years.

It was just too much. Too Much for me to handle withOUT soliciting SOME KIND of unseen help.

IF I KNEW my child was going to die, I would pray to DIE MYSELF ALSO. In fact, I probably WOULD die of "a broken heart". I don't want to survive my children's death. NOTHING could be worse than that. NOTHING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. I don't want to survive my mother, either. And I've told her so. The very idea sends me reeling.

Do I think prayer helps? Only if it occurs en masse - I don't think one person's prayers make much difference - but when entire groups pray for (focus on) something, then I DO think it can impact events and outcomes.

I HAVE participated in Wiccan "healing circles" - and done energy work with the moon - even had my kids participate, and yes, we felt something -

edit on 19-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Since I'm not God how could I possibly answer either of those questions
?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

What does that have to do with this thread?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Since I'm not God how could I possibly answer either of those questions?

I just figured you'd know everything about what you're doing before you do it. It's kinda the sensible thing. Otherwise, you really don't know if there's a point or not. Sure, it gives you fuzzy feelings and all that, but does it really work? Apparently, you can't answer that.
edit on 19-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

And neither can you. I've had my prayers answered before, can you say the same?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

And neither can you. I've had my prayers answered before, can you say the same?

Circumstances have produced the result you desired. It doesn't mean your prayers were answered. If I pray to a jug of milk for a raise and I eventually get a raise, does that mean the jug of milk answered my prayer? If I ask for better health and I wake up a week later feeling greater than I have in the past two years, do I have the jug of milk to thank for that?

My point is, you don't know your prayer was answered. All you know is that you're willing to believe it was answered and that it wasn't just coincidence. And the biggest part of that is you can't prove it wasn't coincidence.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I can agree with this. It's like what Jesus said "Where two or more are gathered together, I am in midst of them". Thanks for sharing?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Can you say for a fact that it wasn't God who answered my prayer? No, you can't. As for the milk example, all I can say is "God works in mysterious ways"

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

If you're interested in reading anything OTHER THAN the Bible, there is a fascinating (if a little heady) book called The Physics of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life by Evan Harris Walker -

For decades, neuroscientists, psychologists, and an army of brain researchers have been struggling, in vain, to explain the phenomenon of consciousness. Now there is a clear trail to the answer, and it leads through the dense jungle of quantum physics, Zen, and subjective experience, and arrives at an unexpected destination.

In this tour-de-force of scientific investigation, Evan Harris Walker shows how the operation of bizarre yet actual properties of elementary particles support a new and exciting theory of reality, based on the principles of quantum physics-a theory that answers questions such as

"What is the nature of consciousness, of will?"

"What is the source of material reality?"

and "What is God?”

I highly recommend it. It's way more helpful and solid than the Bible.
edit on 19-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join