It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web bot on PRISM!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hey all,

What do ya'll think would happen if the NSA combined the WEB BOT program with PRISM!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by artemisminion

What makes you think that this has not already been done?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All that information is worth more than gold.

In the right hands its could be used for endless purposes,

A statistician could make his life work out of predicting trends, Sociologist could get an unfiltered look at the heart of society.

The list could go on forever.

AND who has it...

THE NSA, we should all be very afraid.
edit on 16-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

An AI chat bot would serve as a major tool in disinformation purposes - but would have limited scope as an information collection system, as people tend to lie ( deliberately, by omission, and through the dilated lens of ego ).

If anything I don't see how PRISM would interact well with AI - at least not in an exclusive sense.

What I can fear is perfection of AI for use in information dissemination. It is an already documented fact that there are agents and soldiers serving this purpose now. Imaging that this function could be turned over to computers is absolutely frightening to me. People are both fallible and limited in scope of influence and audience. A super computer controlling convincing AI bots - for the purpose of propaganda would be very game changing indeed. Such a machine could muddy the waters utterly - and keep them that way indefinitely.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am with Rodinus on this one, Webbot has probably been a NSA program from the beginning.

Either that or you have now given the NSA an idea.......

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff - I recently read Ray Kurzweil's "How to build a mind" which is his insight into 20 years of AI research/development, and the design principals that went into the Watson supercomputer that won Jeopardy.

That system already has the capabilities to read/learn the entirety of the english language, and could be programmed to do exactly what you describe.

As some more information - the Watson computer didn't have any information programmed into it. The framework for which it runs is as close to how humans create memories/pattern recognition/information hierarchies as Kurzweil could imagine.

It uses a variation of "Hidden Hierarchical Markov Models" en.wikipedia.org... to organize the information in english language. The first thing the super computer did was to read wikipedia.

Scary.
edit on 16-7-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

An AI chat bot would serve as a major tool in disinformation purposes - but would have limited scope as an information collection system, as people tend to lie ( deliberately, by omission, and through the dilated lens of ego ).

If anything I don't see how PRISM would interact well with AI - at least not in an exclusive sense.

What I can fear is perfection of AI for use in information dissemination. It is an already documented fact that there are agents and soldiers serving this purpose now. Imaging that this function could be turned over to computers is absolutely frightening to me. People are both fallible and limited in scope of influence and audience. A super computer controlling convincing AI bots - for the purpose of propaganda would be very game changing indeed. Such a machine could muddy the waters utterly - and keep them that way indefinitely.

This is already done. Google targets ads, facebook targets ads. What is important to note here is how this process can be VERY subtle and create a huge effect on certain people. If you disregard the given reason for everything, especially in this information collection case, and look to the more subtle realm, you see things very differently. Assume the reason for "collection" is not terrorists, but in fact to control conscious through subtle mind control via direction or misdirection. What if, when you searched, X, the system viewed this search as something that, if you were successful, would threatened to open your mind, so it sent back useless results? I have seen this in play, when looking for certain "things" I was unable to find what I needed, but when I had a friend do the exact same search, what I needed showed up in droves.

The process of control is about steering freewill and choice to areas the "system" prefers because it controls those areas. So, if you searched "viable third party" you might get Libertarian stuff, or...... you might get rants, diatribes and misinformation about Libertarian sites and if you were seen to be on the fence, via previous collected information, this information might steer you back to the establishment. The spam you get, the subject lines, will be created to alter your process as well, the ads, the images, it will all add up. While it won't do much for the few who get it, the majority will be influenced.

The WebBot lost all crediblity when it was fed junk by the machine, at first it was useful to a degree, but it was quickly fed disinfo to separate it from the big collector and its process. Then the WebBot became an example of why collection is useless - how remarkably convenient to those who know it isn't.

Consider the smartphone issue. People hold these like lifesavers in the ocean, what if your consciousness was about to have a great breakthrough, expand beyond the limitations and just then, a flood of texts, or phone calls, which disturbed the process. I have seen this happen to many - I don't have a cellphone.

The big collection influences all the economics, a main drive for the information. If, say China, was to sell 2 tons of gold, the collection system might pick up on that, and drive prices down or up, depending on that is needed. If a ME country decides to flood the market with oil in Sept, the collection system makes the adjustments to prevent that event from mattering. If Mr. X needs to be wiped out, the system can flood certain information to certain traders who will simply wipe out Mr. X in a seemingly organic process.

Each time it alters the process of the individual and the collective, it alters the way in which both express themselves here on earth. That is the main reason for the collection systems, not terrorists, or even criminals - we need a few of them to justify the cops so they have to exist. The system alters choice, in very, very subtle ways, by garnering your attention at moments where you are susceptible.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

They would make a TV show out of it, and call it Person of Interest.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by artemisminion
Hey all,

What do ya'll think would happen if the NSA combined the WEB BOT program with PRISM!!!!

Thanks for your post and interesting question. I would agree with the comment made by Rodinus,

Originally posted by Rodinus

What makes you think that this has not already been done?

The sophistication of gathering information by means of multiple technological advances and unknown devices is so vast, I would find it almost inconceivable that this type of merge of information/intelligence has not already happened.

Just speaking from a 'National Security' perspective, electronic surveillance has evolved and is so advanced and sophisticated that the need to gather, inspect, separate and then act on usable intelligence has grown to enormous proportions, large information and processing sites are being built through out the U.S., most prominently in Utah, for this effort. This really should not be a big surprise to anyone as Military efforts and its effectiveness rely heavily on intelligence gathering.

Additionally, as a side issue, everyone seems to focus on the NSA, National Securtiy Agency, however there is another agency NRO, The National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) which has been collecting terabytes of information for decades, but little if anything is ever mentioned of this agency

The National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) develops and operates space reconnaissance systems and conducts intelligence-related activities for U.S. national security.[7] It also coordinates collection and analysis of information from airplane and satellite reconnaissance by the military services and the Central Intelligence Agency.[8] It is funded through the National Reconnaissance Program, which is part of the National Intelligence Program (formerly known as the National Foreign Intelligence Program). The agency is part of the Department of Defense.

So, to answer your question, artemisminion, this application of merging technologies like Web Bot and Prism and God knows what else has been happening for more than a decade and continues to evolve in its complexity, precision and effectiveness.

Lastly, I do understand and recognize some peoples concerns for personal and private misuse of this type of data. However, honestly, it is my belief, and only my belief, the intention of all of this intelligence gathering has honorable intentions of thwarting threats against/from our enemies and terrorists. However, I do understand the privacy concerns, and perhaps a greater judicial review, requirement or transparent enforcement of our rights could and should be implemented.

Peace!! ID

edit on 27-7-2013 by ItDepends because: S + F added, an interesting question, worth further and deeper discussion, but a great start

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This is why the want so much data, to predict what we will do in any given scenario.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not just for "Minority Report" like circumstances but also to get out in front and drive desired trends, "Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars". It all works in tandem.

new topics

top topics

join