It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, will find out in three hours if I made a good decision... EDIT: ~40 min and counting...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

The thing about the dogs' brain continuing to grow after the skull stops growing. That's absolutely ludicrous. Ask a veterinarian.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well my bro and his wife loved it. thank god...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye

The thing about the dogs' brain continuing to grow after the skull stops growing. That's absolutely ludicrous. Ask a veterinarian.

Well this came from a couple of reputable breeders. They said it "could" happen, and they have noticed it sometimes, I forgot what they called it. Anyways, he seems happy with the boxer...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I'm glad he's happy with the dog! We need pictures!

"Reputable" breeder, or no, chances are they are not a veterinarian, and thus you should take their medical advice to your veterinarian for verification! I'm not trying to start an issue or anything- I just hate to see these myths propagated.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

In the future, consider adopting from a shelter, rather than supporting breeders.

No, don't get from a shelter, though that certainly is politically correct. You don't know where it's been. You don't know how it has been socialized. You don't know its history, health, or temperament. If it's in a shelter in the first place you know there was some sort of issue. A reputable breeder (not a puppy mill place) can vouch for the dog, has full records and family history, can be researched, and is much more likely to furnish you with a top quality animal. Adopting from a shelter is a huge roll of the dice.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What a wonderful gift! You know your brother and I am sure you wouldn't have done such a thing if there was any doubt he and his new wife wouldn't love the idea. Before we got our dog I did a lot of research and Boxers are one of the top family dogs. Exc. choice.

Yes I believe Nylabone is one of the top chew toys for a dog. They sell them by breed size. And in diff. flavours. Also elk antlers are awesome for the chewers - just want to make sure that puppy/dog is always being supervised. Now that our boy is so much older we have to watch everything he plays with or else it is destroyed in minutes. It's just their nature but with supervision then it's quality time you are spending with them too.

Try to get those that like to eat socks and underwear trained or it will start costing you a fortune - relative has a sock eating dobie and the little bugger sniffs out all hidden socks and still ends up at the vet.

I think you get your pet from where the best choice is for you. Not everyone is a rescue type pet owner. They take a lot of patience, and most of the time you have to know what you're up against, be a good dog owner (I SO highly recommend dog obedience classes for the dog BUT also for the owner) and so if you buy from a reputable breeder instead of a backyard puppy mill then I see nothing wrong with it.

Great post and congrats!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I love my boxer Mongo. Best dog and best friend ive ever had. Goofy, fun loving just all around great dogs. Great choice.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks. Well it looks like he has turned into a mommas boy already... hanging out and sleeping with my bros new wife... hahahahaha...though he did say before work this morning he felt something licking his face and chewing on his arm...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

In the future, consider adopting from a shelter, rather than supporting breeders.

No, don't get from a shelter, though that certainly is politically correct. You don't know where it's been. You don't know how it has been socialized. You don't know its history, health, or temperament. If it's in a shelter in the first place you know there was some sort of issue. A reputable breeder (not a puppy mill place) can vouch for the dog, has full records and family history, can be researched, and is much more likely to furnish you with a top quality animal. Adopting from a shelter is a huge roll of the dice.

Last dog that he had he adopted from a shelter. You could tell it had been abused, jaw didn't look right, so it may have been broken at some point in the past. Good dog but squirrely as hell. Only had it for a few years before it got cancer and died. I know he gave it a good life, and I guess thats all that can be asked.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Yeah the puppies I adopted from the shelter were just huge, problematic asshole dogs.

The dog that I adopted whom was used as a bait dog put himself into that position. It's always the dogs' fault~

Don't worry though, a breeder will allow more dogs to be bred and be put into shelters when the people that buy them as surprise gifts for others don't want them any more.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

Yeah the puppies I adopted from the shelter were just huge, problematic asshole dogs.

The dog that I adopted whom was used as a bait dog put himself into that position. It's always the dogs' fault~

Don't worry though, a breeder will allow more dogs to be bred and be put into shelters when the people that buy them as surprise gifts for others don't want them any more.

NOBODY EVEN SUGGESTED it was a dog's fault to be put in a shelter. How does that even bear on the issue? You are espousing a politically correct viewpoint and suggesting other people do as you tell them. No doubt shelter dogs need love, too. So go get one. Just don't tell other people they "should" get a dog from a shelter "next time." It's really none of your damn business.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Kong, Tirebiters and Goughnuts are good.

Your link isn't good ... as i experience indestructibledogtoys.org... this one is beter... i hope you don't mind.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join