It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, will find out in three hours if I made a good decision... EDIT: ~40 min and counting...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My bro lost his dog a few months ago, and was putting off getting a new one until he got married. Got married a few days ago, and went out of town. Ended up driving to hell and beyond to find a boxer breeder, found one quite a distance away. Mother is a rare pure English black boxer (copper sheen on fur when in sun), and father is considered a "King" English boxer - weighed about 100 lbs. It wasn't cheap, but hey its my bro, and hopefully you only get married once

Breeders are strange, it was 50 questions. I was thinking, "I'm dropping a # ton of money, do you really think I'm not going to take care of it?"... Had to sign documents saying I wasn't going to breed it (which reduced the price)...

Anyways, the puppy seems to get along with his small terrier...

i should be getting a call in about three hours... crossing my fingers that he likes it...
edit on 15-7-2013 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well if he doesn't, I take it!!
I love boxers. Never knew anything about the breed until my hubby. We've had 2 and I just love everything about them.
What a great brother you are!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I hope he likes it. I know he wanted a doberman, but after talking to several current and former breeders they seem to have health issues at the 5 year mark (including cancer which is what killed his rotty), and I didn't want him to go through that again or be saddled with vet bills. Plus they were saying that dobermans have issues where the head will stop growing but the brain can continue to grow, making some dogs with this problem squirrely...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Do you know if boxers, when teething, chew stuff up real bad? Breeder said it might. We bought a few chew toys at the store. Puppy is only 8 weeks old and is freaking huge...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
no picture how dare you, and so is the question that if he will like it or not, and finds out in a couple hours that you got it for him.

You know your bro best but buying a pet for someone seems like a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
no picture how dare you, and so is the question that if he will like it or not, and finds out in a couple hours that you got it for him.

You know your bro best but buying a pet for someone seems like a bad idea.

No pics, unfortunately. I think he will like it. He's been feeling down with the loss of his previous dog, and I think his new marriage and maybe a puppy will bring some "life" back in him... worst case, I'll take it, though I don't like picking up doggy doo - I'm more of a cat person...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

I have 11 Boxer-Labs and 1 Boxer (The Great Grandmother). They all have tails that curl over 360 degrees, at least one white toe, and although they look dark in color, when they are in the sunlight they emit a chocolate shine almost a luminous glow. It kind of looks like that color-changing paint.

Anyways they are destructive with their teeth for about the first 2 years. You will have to buy stock in a chew toy company. Don't buy those cheap $.99 cent toys. They only last a couple of minutes before they are shredded down to particles.

My toy budget is about $80 a week. I usually get Nylabones. They are allot more durable and last several hours. Also, BEWARE of any toy with a squeaker in it. Those are usually soft toys that shred very easily. When the whistle comes loose they will eat it. The vet bill to have it removed and repair all of the internal bleeding and damage caused runs about $1400.00. Been there and done that Twice.

Boxers are an excellent breed. They are extremely smart. They used to be used in circuses because they are so Very Trainable. You can train a new command in 3 three days with very little effort.

Great Choice and I hope your brother likes it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I don't like picking up doggy doo

Another good trait is that they can be potty trained in less than a month.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
All dogs chew stuff when teething.

Buying a dog for someone usually isn't a good idea. I hope this is an exception.

Breeders who ask a lot of questions... That's a GREAT sign. You want a breeder who knows and cares about where her dogs are going. That's a GOOD thing.

I'll be watching to see what your brother says. And if you have any questions, let me know.

edit on 7/15/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

I have 11 Boxer-Labs and 1 Boxer (The Great Grandmother). They all have tails that curl over 360 degrees, at least one white toe, and although they look dark in color, when they are in the sunlight they emit a chocolate shine almost a luminous glow. It kind of looks like that color-changing paint.

Anyways they are destructive with their teeth for about the first 2 years. You will have to buy stock in a chew toy company. Don't buy those cheap $.99 cent toys. They only last a couple of minutes before they are shredded down to particles.

My toy budget is about $80 a week. I usually get Nylabones. They are allot more durable and last several hours. Also, BEWARE of any toy with a squeaker in it. Those are usually soft toys that shred very easily. When the whistle comes loose they will eat it. The vet bill to have it removed and repair all of the internal bleeding and damage caused runs about $1400.00. Been there and done that Twice.

Boxers are an excellent breed. They are extremely smart. They used to be used in circuses because they are so Very Trainable. You can train a new command in 3 three days with very little effort.

Great Choice and I hope your brother likes it.

Oh, $hit... I bought a bunch of those things for the puppy...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Just remember you get what you pay for.

They will probably not be too bad for a puppy, but in a couple of months you will need to rethink the "Game Plan".

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Just remember you get what you pay for.

They will probably not be too bad for a puppy, but in a couple of months you will need to rethink the "Game Plan".

yea, they were on sale at Petsmart... I'll let him know to take them away after a few months. Maybe buy a "Kong"? I know the Kong I bought my parrot frustrates the hell out of him as he can't seem to destroy it... hahahahahaha...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Only 2 hours and 17 minutes left. I love boxers. We own one as well. Its 8 months old and they grow quickly. Best of luck. And ill sign the waiver not to breed him if you dont end up liking him.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Kong, Tirebiters and Goughnuts are good.

www.indestructibledog.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
$hit, my brother just texted me to say he landed at the airport... probably another 30-45 minutes before he gets home...
edit on 15-7-2013 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Do you put peanut butter in it?

Dogs love that.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Do you put peanut butter in it?

Dogs love that.

No. The parrot gets pissed off (you can see it in his face) (hahahahaha), when playing with the Kong - he's trying to tear the thing to shreds and it won't. He'll start flinging and "throwing" the dam thing all over his cage after a few minutes... It's funny to watch...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Our daughter & son-in-law got a boxer last fall.
He was about 4 months old when they got him.
He is the most calm, good mannered dog I ever saw!
He will sit with the kids while they play video games & never move!
Doesn't jump up, or get wild when company comes.
Never growls, unless there's a bear or something around outside!

I was very skeptical when they told us what they were getting.
The people they got him from had other dogs,
plus had three puppies left & they weren't very well taken care of.
They were getting pretty old & I was worried he would have issues.
Daughter always wanted a boxer & felt sorry for the pups!
But turns out he is a great dog! He's very eager to please!

He gets along with their two cats, even wants to play with them!
They don't want to play with him though!

Never chewed on anything except his toys,
except one of granddaughters stuffed animals that she left lay.
In his defense, it did look a lot like the one they had given to him!

They also had a wonderful Husky.
He wasn't even afraid of her when they first got him,
even though she was a lot bigger than he was.
She died last week & the boxer howled just like he was grieving!
That's the only time he has ever howled!

She had a favorite spot outside where he used to go to play with her.
He hasn't gone to that spot since she died.
You would think he would still go there looking for her.
So apparently they have above average intelligence too!

I never knew anyone that had a boxer, so I didn't know what to expect.
But I must say, I'm really impressed with him!
I hope your brother does as well with his!
WOQ

edit on 15-7-2013 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That is a total myth. Good luck with your animal.

In the future, consider adopting from a shelter, rather than supporting breeders.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye

That is a total myth. Good luck with your animal.

In the future, consider adopting from a shelter, rather than supporting breeders.

What is total myth? As far as shelters, my brother and I have both done our fair share of adopting from shelters, adopting animals out to others, fostering animals, etc. I wanted to get him something nice...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join