It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you learn to lessen your empathy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Thanks for the post! Seems like sound advice.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Why worry about it ?

Oh I see, yeah I was like that for a while, needed to turn it around

I'm extremely empathic as well. Just wish I could use it to help me spell

Seriously though I find it helps me keep myself grounded. The great thing is I get to share the joy as well, and my friends have much joy

If you only pick up on negative vibes you need to retune as such, close your eyes, picture your life, look from the outside and be 100% honest with yourself, it isn't easy but it is a must.

If you see something you don't like, you have to make every effort to change it from negative to positive.

It's a personal journey but again honesty and truth to yourself is a must.

Once you are happy you'll find yourself picking up positive vibes and using them to help your friends. It aint easy my friend, it takes time. The journey can be hell.

But I will give you one guarantee

Once finished, every time you look in the mirror you'll smile

Cody

edit on 8/7/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
Okay, so being an Empath is a sign of telepathy. Anyone know where you can read up on developing that?

Yes potencial telepathy. I have been blocked from reading up on anything regarding it. Apparently it is a personal journey. If you at ONCE IN REALIZATION know that you are no further information is required. Your not a student of some type of craft, you are the real deal. So whom do you ask regarding this talent, gift? your higher self that knows you the best, your higherselves-- being your prior incarnated SELF as historically walked this planet (hint; not a God Aspect).
edit on 8-7-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Yes, but how do you do that? I really don't know. I've always wanted to try past life regression or something like that. But I really don't know how or where to start. Everything I've found on the subject seems like some sort of money making scheme.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

reply to post by vethumanbeing

Yes, but how do you do that? I really don't know. I've always wanted to try past life regression or something like that. But I really don't know how or where to start. Everything I've found on the subject seems like some sort of money making scheme.

Past life regression? You mean pay someone to get you into a somnombulistic state of mind with a tape recorder? Why do do think you need to access past lives, are you sure youve had any? Do you pay attention to your dreams (or what you may think are dreams but are actually out of body experiences?). As an Empath I will tell you its no easy road, I hate it but there is a reason for its being; I have helped people that are spiritual in thought but not religious as in (distrustfull). Its another way to connect the lost to a something else than a God form (Doctrine) to a form of forgiveness of themselves for not believing in Doctrine. ITs backwards, I KNOW, but what to do. When those that come to me need guidance, I never ask a thing of them, except to be honest with themselves, no money is ever exchanged as that was not the point, but they inevitably leave in tears and Im not sure I helped at all; as I am Apollonious and cannot tell a lie.
edit on 8-7-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
More things that can be done, in healing therapeutic ways, with empahty: just think of hospice and the dying, and get them in touch with their HS and Spirit, some may be healed, others may be emotionally healed. Also regression therapy.

Theta Healing - emotional healing and digging

Theta Healing: Unlocking the Subconscious

The LBL Session - Getting into the Soul State

Life Between Lives - The Soul's Mission or Soul Contract

Healing! Compassion! And If one is very reclusive, meditation, and making self help dvds instead of up close. But there are many ways to adapt helping, depends on how strong the gift is.

Getting others meditating. Forming a group.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hmm.. How to be less empathetic...

The opposite of empathy is selfishness. Maybe start thinking more about how things effect you and caring about you more?

I think being empathetic is a very positive and endearing quality, personally. But there should definitely be a balance between empathy and self service.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I consider myself an empath as well. It has been a struggle for me for years. It took me forever to even discover what an empath actually was. Once I discovered how well I was able to pick up on others emotions, I learned some ways that work for me. Previous posters mentioned meditation and I think that is extremely helpful. Another way I deal with it when I feel bombarded with so many negative emotions is to take a shower or bath. I visualize the water as washing all the negativity around me and inside me off of me. This helps me so much! There are times in life where it really is difficult to focus and meditate, but taking a bath/shower is a quicker way for me to find my center.

Also, I think it is important to intuitively say "no" and build intuitive protective walls around yourself. I used to chuckle quite a bit with all the websites I would come across telling me really elaborate ways to protect. Instead, I just try to actively think about protection and what that means for me. Everyone has their own way.

My biggest struggle is feeling like I am a dumping ground for everyone's issues. I am sure you could probably relate to this, but it's like people seek me out, tell me some big revealing story about their life, and then basically disappear. It literally feels like they transfer those negative emotions onto me because intuitively they believe I can handle it and that I do actually feel their pain.

Have you ever considered you might be a healer as well? Do people frequently gravitate towards you and feel better around you once they do? Do you ever feel a strong desire inside you to "do something" with the pain you are feeling from those around you?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AeonMoon
Have you ever considered you might be a healer as well? Do people frequently gravitate towards you and feel better around you once they do? Do you ever feel a strong desire inside you to "do something" with the pain you are feeling from those around you?

All the time. I'm constantly trying to help people. I'm usually pretty good at it. It's just that all of my friends unwittingly take advantage of it and it drains me emotionally.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

To 1 sensing others vibrations is part the subconscious / conscious detection mechanism associated with sensing danger or even peace with an individual or individuals as well as a potential alert mechanism for guardians / parents to sense danger or detect comfort around or with those they me watch over.

Is empathy something you can lessen or cut off 1 is not sure. But when considering individuals or and individual exposed to continuous LACK activities you can begin to see how repeated lack related situations will cause empathetic responses from those possessing it while @ the same time building up the response level and strength to deal with the lack situations more. And as the subconscious/conscious buildup of empathy responses develop it seems the empathy remains but is forced to be controlled within the mind in order to keep a individual/individuals dealing with lack situations STRONG incase more lack situations occur, preventing conscious/subconscious physical collapse encouraging Perseverance .

So in essence the individuals or individual will STILL remain empathetic even if not outwardly demonstrating or showing seen responses-emotions like sad body language - tears - aggressive attitude/language in response to lack situation (depending) This is a strength part of the conscious/subconscious mechanism to 1 as it somewhat gives the individuals /individual who may be experiencing negative vibration external conditions the ability to look @ what is going on -then accept -then Empathetically respond. The same responses as when more outwardly detected but less detected now from continuous exposure, less outwardly affecting others who may even see some leading (and if they fail from lack conditions basically disrupting/destroying their psyche others may in response to lack external conditions as well fail) and this developed response perhaps is embedded into CREATOR Creation empathy mechanism to keep an individual or individuals from slowing to a mental conscious complete STOP as they are exposed to external negative conditions that may require more and more empathetic responses that if not balanced within the psyche would basically again cause a fail or give up response when dealing with negative lack external conditions events ...

And so STAY STRONG is the subconscious response to the conscious transmitting the empathy inward as it the consciousness seeks logic from the subconscious.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Hello Dave, I found this site useful for things regarding empathy

www.psychicbutsane.com...

Also, you could try feeling the emotions of the replies you receive, it might be fun. People do say that reading people without them knowing is not nice though.

edit on 10-7-2013 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I was a sociopath (or sociopathic) from when I was little, up until about my mid 20's. I well recall being icecold mean sometimes, with zero sense of the Other. None. In my earliest years I witnessed and recieved violence, (watched [approx] 6 yr old sibling get mercilessly beat and skin broke with the belt and buckle, listened to the screams of agony) also there was poverty, hunger, domestic instability. I believe it made me sociopathic.
But mostly after I left years of military service, I became increasingly empathetic/sympathetic and also sensory-sensitive intolerent. Still, I wouldn't trade it for those feelingless times if my life depended on it. There is guilt I can't shake, and I only hope I don't have to experience "Other(s)" pain in the afterdeath Life Review from the Angels, as I have relived it in my mind here, sometimes too often. I make sure I constantly have something interesting to listen to, (internet talk radio, audio books) it helps my mind a whole lot.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingMe

Thanks for the link!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Empathetic means you can understand being in one shoes. Being sympathetic makes you basically take on their emotions, or other wise to concerned.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
How to lessen empathy:

- Create distance between yourself and others.

- Focus more on yourself than on others. (How do YOU feel? What do YOU get out of the situation?)

- Do the things that you love to do (preferably by yourself)

- Instead of being "thankful", feel "WORTHY", you aren't lucky you just DESERVED all those good things.

- When you're with others, focus on what they can do for YOU instead of what you can do for THEM.

Hopefully this helps you if you want to lessen the empathy.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
How to lessen empathy:

- Create distance between yourself and others.

- Focus more on yourself than on others. (How do YOU feel? What do YOU get out of the situation?)

- Do the things that you love to do (preferably by yourself)

- Instead of being "thankful", feel "WORTHY", you aren't lucky you just DESERVED all those good things.

- When you're with others, focus on what they can do for YOU instead of what you can do for THEM.

Hopefully this helps you if you want to lessen the empathy.

That's the problem though, I've never been very good at being selfish. I do things that I like to do all the time, but aside from reading, I don't like to do things alone. I like to have other people to discuss whatever I'm doing with, it's just part of the experience for me. As far as feeling worthy instead of thankful, how can you change your perspective on that?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Wertdagf

Of course not, I'd wear nose plugs or rub Vicks under my nose.

Or you could get used to it, learn to love it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Just get used to it because it will never go away... You could put it to good use as a mental health worker and continue being and liking yourself.... It is the effects of living in a cold blooded material world full of uncaring selfish people that is getting you down.. Though that is the social norm it isn't something you can ever buy into without crashing, burning and becoming disenchanted with.... Keep life simple and just be as you are.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I do things that I like to do all the time, but aside from reading, I don't like to do things alone.

Then you will always be subjected to their energy and opinions. You need to make a choice if this is truly what you want.

As far as feeling worthy instead of thankful, how can you change your perspective on that?

Change your thoughts. When you get something say "This is what I deserve. I am worthy of this. It's my right to have it".

Change your thoughts to get to where you want to be. Focus more on YOURSELF rather than others.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
There are no empath 'sunglasses', spf40 blockout creams...it's not something you can necessarily stop (and why would you want to, when hearing of the upsides?)...all information is good information, and this is extra information...it's not fun, and doesn't necessarily make anything easier, but, as other posters have said, it is an extra perception, and is a stepping stone to more...look at its advantages for you to make others' life a little more pleasant and bearable...empathy is a kind of forced sympathy...but sympathy can be disengaged from...empathy, not...

Å99

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join