It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare can take money directly from your bank account to pay medical fees

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

To answer your question, and provide some additional insight...

1. The government or even a private company operating on behalf of a medical provider(s) can always take money from your bank account, or any other places where you have liquid assets, if you don't pay your medical bills. This has nothing to do with ObamaCare. It's simply the law of the land. However, if you attempt to make "good faith" payments, no legal action can be taken against you. The amount of these "good faith" payments varies from state-to-state, but $25 per month is usually the most common amount that people pay in order to keep collectors away from their telephone, mail box, front door, etc..

2. If a person does not have an ObamaCare certified plan, or coverage, effective 1/1/2014. He/she will have to pay 1% of their 2014 income to the IRS at the end of the year. If you do not pay it, the IRS will withhold that amount from your tax refund. If you have no refund, the IRS will send you threatening letters. However, the "Penalty-Tax" as it's known, will not collected forcibly. At least that's what the IRS is vowing for 2014. They haven't said anything about 2015, 2016, etc.. But, since the Penalty-Tax increases to 2% of your Gross Income in 2015, I would have a hard time believing that the IRS will not begin going after people. After all, 2% of $50,000 income is $1,000. As expensive as ObamaCare is going to be, $1,000 is a nice chunk when multiplied over a few million people who don't have "Qualified" health insurance. The government will need every penny it can get its hands on!

-CWM

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
My mother told me (see title), and that she had received several emails from other seniors that said the same thing.

ATS, who has actually read the bill ? - and can tell me reliably if this is true or not.

Please don't reference other sources, only someone who has read the bill would know.

She is thinking of taking all her money out of the bank and hiding it since the interest she gets is about equal to "hiding it under the mattress". She says if this is true she will definitely withdraw all her money and put it in a safe, or lock-box.

If it is true, I may do the same thing. Withdraw and put the cash in a lock box at the bank.

With all the Snowden revelations I don't trust the government and believe that the government would actually do this. If Greece just took money from bank accounts without permission, why wouldn't Obama do the same thing? Of course my account wouldn't pay for even one of his vacations, or Michelle's for that matter. Ruminating aside, if you read the bill I'd love to hear from you.

The Affordable Care Act is in the Congressional Record for anyone to read. This sounds like 'scare' tactics to frighten seniors. It a pitiful attempt to fighten - FEAR IS BIG BUSINESS (saw that bumper sticker on a truck at work today).

If you are so concerned read the ACT.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Dear granmakdw,

Okay, lets talk about what it means to cause a bank run. When everyone takes their money out of the banks, all the banks fail and they have to call in their loans and nobody can pay a 30 year mortgage in a day or even a 5 year car note. Do you really want to see everyone ask for their cash at the same time? "Obamacare" is not going to steal everyone's bank accounts, how does that even make sense? Banks only keep 7 to 10% of deposits on hand, the rest is lent out to your neighbors to buy cars and houses and then they pay the bank back.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It's on the same concept as automatic payment from any debit card connected to your bank account. So you get the bank account that is for all your automatic payment and keep it running with just enough for what your contracts are for. It's probably an automatic payment service taking advantage of the boomers, asking for credit card numbers.

I wish I could see that fine print.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Garnishing wages and placing a lien on your bank account is not in the ACA now, but that's not going to stop them from amending their laws to do so. As you can see, Obama makes up his own laws as he goes along, at his discretion, or businesses would be mandated to follow the law this year.

I think it is wise for seniors to know that it is very possible that bank account liens are possible, so that they may act accordingly with their money. Why wait until it happens to you, and then there is nothing you can do about it.

The county here can put a lien right on your paycheck if you do not pay your traffic fines. If you go a year over due, you will get a notice in the mail that these fines are going to be taken out of your pay check, and then they do so in one lump sum.
I can see the same thing happening in the future with obama "care".

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
double post
edit on 6-7-2013 by Taissa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It's a 3000+ page bill written in very vague, legal terms. Good luck finding anyone who has actually read and understood the entire bill. Our own congressmen didn't even read the damn bill.

Remember, we have to pass it so we can know what's in it. Politics make me hurl.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Are you being sarcastic or is the first line true, direct from the "unreadable" bill?

They take Child Support, Student loans, etc.....from Tax Returns, why not this?

Not hard to conceive.

It's not taken from a tax "return". It's taken from a tax "refund." A tax return is the piece of paper you send to the taxing authority showing what you owe.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsallintheegg

Here is the Bill... www.gpo.gov...
Start here.

OMG, it nearly crashed my computer and is as searchable as rubber on a ball.

Was hoping someone on ATS would be able to help - which section should I look in? Is there a searchable form of the bill?

page 717:

nd withhold such premiums on behalf of enrolled employees.
‘‘(2) ALTERNATIVE PAYMENT MECHANISM.—The Secretary,
in coordination with the Secretary of the Treasury, shall estab-
lish alternative procedures for the payment of monthly pre-
miums by an individual enrolled in the CLASS program—
‘‘(A) who does not have an employer who elects to
deduct and withhold premiums in accordance with subpara-
graph (A); or
‘‘(B) who does not earn wages or derive self-employ-
ment income.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Humana takes regular monthly premiums in a direct-deposit system directly from people's accounts who are self employed. It does not withdraw funds directly from your account for medical expenses.
The Obamacare system will work exactly the same way.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

only if you are enrolled in obamacare, they can put liens on your property and garnish tax returns, bank accounts, and maybe other financial instruments.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thank you everyone who took the time to reply.

I discussed the answers given by posters with my Mom last night.

We decided the ultimate answer was both no it can't and yes it can.

Knowing the direction our country is headed with the IRS and NSA scandals and the way our current president is making his own laws at his own discretion as he deems fit, I lean toward yes it can be done based on all your gracious replies.

As for the poster concerned about a run on the banks, guess the government should have thought about that before they lost the trust of the American people. My mother who was born in early depression times says she no longer feels our government is trustworthy, sad for someone who was so patriotic during WWII with a husband who served 20 years in the military and went to Vietnam. She is of sound mind, very sound, so I won't be surprised if she decides to withdraw her considerable funds and put them somewhere she feels is safe. Can't say I'm not considering it myself on a more limited basis.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

If it is true, I may do the same thing. Withdraw and put the cash in a lock box at the bank. .

Don't do that. The States visit banks periodically and clean out boxes calling it 'abandoned property'.

Might as well keep it in the mattress at home. .

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Something just dawned on me.

For the American people, like my Mother.

In order for there not to be a run on banks or any other self imposed crisis by the American people, the people need to trust the government.

Obama has spent the last 5 years trying to convince the American people how awful they are, by telling foreign countries at every opportunity, by pointing out every perceived fault, by name calling (ie people who cling to their bibles etc.). He seems to have succeeded. He has convinced one WWII era person that America is inherently bad and can no longer be trusted. His concerted effort to make American's see their faults and own up to them has worked. So the majority of Americans, (see recent polls) do not trust congress by a wide margin and about half don't trust Obama.

Obama succeeded unintentionally - by forcing American's to self "examine" their faults as he sees them and to loathe America as a country/government (ie by making the flag a despised symbol etc) - the government removed any semblance of trust.

How can one trust what is perceived as bad/evil (America) when even the leader is constantly telling everyone that America is bad/evil.

Big example: Many 4th of July celebrations were cancelled at military bases. This says to the American people:

"The one day a year we celebrate America has been cancelled, we can't do that."

edit on 6-7-2013 by grandmakdw because: little addition

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Complete nonsense & scare tactics.
Or business as usual for the affected healthcare lobbies.

They know how popular it's going to be, so they are taking
as many shots at the affordable healthcare act as quickly as they can.

Can y'all really not see the writing on the wall?
Don't you ever think,"hey these big business lobbies are freaking out,
maybe that's because something decent is about to happen?"

Does the insuraunce health care lobby normally look out for your best interests?
Hell no.

Until they were forced to abide, they'd kick a lifetime paying member to the curb
as soon as the person actually got sick.

And this is the group many of you side with simply because you don't like the president?
Well guess what? They know that, and are taking you for yet another ride,

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Sorry you didn't bother to read all the posts before you posted.

Turns out it is true.

Check out all the posts please.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
They can't take it out of your tax return if you get nothing back. Increase your deductions to minimize your withholding amount. Or, go 1099 and pay only what you owe.

That's probably where the "take it directly from your bank account" part kicks in.

In a few years, I believe all transactions will be on EBT cards, of which the Feds will have drawing rights. Your wages, SS, welfare, retirement--all will be paid to your EBT. Your taxes and insurance can be garnered as they see fit. Your EBT card will probably just be an app on your smart-phone. The Feds will know all your transactions and your locations.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Taking money out of banks is simultaneously the smartest and worst thing that can be done.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The part dealing with enrollment specifies "as defined in section 5000A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986" I don't see the part addressing penalties for failure to enroll. I did see a part of the bill calling for a notice sent to the "person" who hasn't enrolled, but not the portion that deals with penalties if that is ignored.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

You are absolutely right.

I think you know what i meant to say. It happens.........

Thanks for the correction.
edit on 6-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join