It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Putin: Snowden still in Moscow airport transit zone, won't be extradited!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Russia needed leverage for the whole Syria situation anyway.

I don't know about the leverage thing. Now that Japan, Croatia and Austria U.N. peacekeepers have pulled their troops out of the dmz on the Israel-Syria armistice line after being attacked by the Syrian opposition and Russia offering to send enough of it own troops to fill in. I do believe Russia has more than enough leverage considering.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Whether you like him or not Putin has a set of Steel Balls! Personally I like his style of diplomacy. What's our Noble Peace Prize Winning President going to do anyway?

The entire world knows that we are listening and have been listening to every morsel of electronic intel we can scoop up and we have been doing it for decades. It's just hitting a tipping point that's all. Just as sure as I'm typing the "intel wienies" are scarfing this up and adding this to my file and yours too. So what? They can't kill us all can they.

We'll maybe they can, but I'm not going to stop being interested in protecting mine or your liberty and I'm not going to sit on the sideline and act like this isn't a complete undermining of the Constitution, a constitution that my forefathers fought the British to give birth to. If I didn't say anything then in the future, if there is going to be one, I would have to try to explain to my children, grandchildren and countrymen, if we are still going have one worth keeping, why I was a coward and didn't stand up and say how "Freaking" unjust and tyrannical all of this is.

It is unquestionably "Unconstitutional" and it isn't just, ethical or defensible what they, the Government, is doing. Regardless of there being "Laws" on the books saying it is. The British had laws too and it didn't make them right, just,ethical or moral. These surveillance laws are no more legal or just. They are over the top.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Why does that make any difference?
reply to post by Rocker2013

It makes a huge difference.

Is this disinformation?

Has he shared secrets with the Russian Government?

Has he gone from "Whistleblower" to International Spy?

Has he gone a different direction?

Has he transformed from standing up for the Constitution to a traitor?

I would submit it makes a huge difference to Mr.Snowden.
edit on 25-6-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

The enemy of my enemy is my friend .. or at least worth talking to ..

If the US is going to treat Snowden like a criminal, before a trial, and they have ... Kerry already called him a fugitive .. ofcourse Snowden will look at all options to save himself .. whatever it takes ..
Right now he probably hasn't transitioned to an international spy .. but I'm sure with the info he's packing, the Russians and any other country will be interested in hiring his services .. and protecting him for it ..

When a superpower is after you .. only another superpower can help you ...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Great job Putin! At least this man has respect for international law and relations. Not like those childish and silly politicians like Kerry. They definitely seem to have their tails between their legs. I just hope Snowden ends up in a safe place (allowing others like him to do the same in the future)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I've seen a couple of reports stating that he has in fact already passed through Norway

Which is where Putin is right now. His summer compound.

This just keeps getting better.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

I think American officials would be best to just back down on this one. The more they scream traitor, and we want this guy, the more they give the impression of being the tyrants. While other country leaders that previously held those devious titles are being hailed heros. I think this thing is a PR nightmare for the American Government, and they would do best to just back off, and sweep it under the rug, like they seem to do with so many things they prefer to keep secret.

Too bad they have been at this for a while, they could have approached it like Rosswell. First come out with the story they have a UFO and then turn around and tell everyone they don't. Then if anyone continues to spread the original story, tell everyone they are crazy.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

(Round of applause for putin)

Way to go for the ex-KGB agent, stick it to the man putin.

He is operating within international law and as america has no treaty on extradition with Russia, the outcome of snowden is to be determined from his own actions.

I can just see all those faces in congress when they see this, I can imagine most of the corrupt leeches foaming from the mouth at putin's backlash against Idiot Kerry's war mongering rhetorics.

Regards.

TOT

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Dont be fooled by putins actions vs his intentions, he is not respecting the law because its the right thing to do, he's effectively sticking it to the US under the cover of abiding by international law, If it suited him to detain Snowden you can garuantee thats what would happen

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeReasonable

Dont be fooled by putins actions vs his intentions, he is not respecting the law because its the right thing to do, he's effectively sticking it to the US under the cover of abiding by international law, If it suited him to detain Snowden you can garuantee thats what would happen

Is that to say, abiding by international law is sticking it to the US if the US wants you to break or ignore international law?

Just curiosity, it reads a bit confusing because abiding by international law is simply honoring the rule of law.
edit on 25-6-2013 by emberscott because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

And why should he be extradited? He exposed the truth and if you think that's wrong then you're insane.

Snowden was a sysadmin who worked with TS clearance in the NSA and ran to the Chinese and now the Russians to "expose" legal operations. He is a traitor. He should serve a long long jail sentence.

Now, if you think the legal operations are illegal then get a lawyer and sue the Government. If your angry with what they are doing, vote them out. The US is not a dictatorship, no matter what anyone says. The problem is not enough US voters think you are right. Everyone has an opinion. Your opinion is just a minority. Why don't you flee to a "free" country like China or Russian and live the good life?

V

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Putin is hardly doing any of this from a moral stand point. He's sticking it to the US, old cold war style.

Provided Snowden ddidn't provide any intelligence to a foreign country, he wasn't spying. The smartest thing he could do is destroy his laptops at this stage. It is no insurance the information he has on them. It will wind up biting him on his arse.

I hope he likes the cold.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

(Round of applause for putin)

Way to go for the ex-KGB agent, stick it to the man putin.

He is operating within international law and as america has no treaty on extradition with Russia, the outcome of snowden is to be determined from his own actions.

I can just see all those faces in congress when they see this, I can imagine most of the corrupt leeches foaming from the mouth at putin's backlash against Idiot Kerry's war mongering rhetorics.

Regards.

TOT

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

COuld Be worse than russia i guess..

At least Putin is a leader that LOVES his Homeland.
90% of food is local grown
instead of immigrants sucking services dry, they gave money to OWN their citizens to have kids

3 reasons right there.. AND russia had less chance of getting beat up..

In the US, we have emo boys with eyeliner, skinny jeans and nail polish. I dont think his life will be that bad.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Variable

Snowden was a sysadmin who worked with TS clearance in the NSA and ran to the Chinese and now the Russians to "expose" legal operations. He is a traitor. He should serve a long long jail sentence.

Now, if you think the legal operations are illegal then get a lawyer and sue the Government. If your angry with what they are doing, vote them out. The US is not a dictatorship, no matter what anyone says. The problem is not enough US voters think you are right. Everyone has an opinion. Your opinion is just a minority. Why don't you flee to a "free" country like China or Russian and live the good life?
V

Maybe whatever you may think he has done wrong or not done wrong, the fact is that US law ends at it's borders. Russia as no extraction treaty with the US. And even if they had one the treaties apply only to crimes that are in both countries law books a crime. So why should Russia give a rat's ass what the USA wants? When will America learn that its interests stop at the actual geographical border?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If he has been in the Airport transit lounge the whole time, it's no wonder Julian Assange reported that he was in a safe place and in high spirits the other day. He was obviously sitting in an adjacent area watching those journalists board the plane and killing himself laughing.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Provided Snowden ddidn't provide any intelligence to a foreign country, he wasn't spying. The smartest thing he could do is destroy his laptops at this stage. It is no insurance the information he has on them. It will wind up biting him on his arse.

He has a dead man's switch in place. I fail to see how this will not protect him.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

Someone will get it off him, dead or alive.
Don't underestimate what they can do.

Exposing what he has, hasn't changed a thing about the US being a surveillance state....I don't think there is anything they can't spin their way out of, or care if they are caught doing.

The only outcome i can see so far, is the media have made a lot of money from the story, no one is protesting, no one is changing anything....The US isn't RIO.
edit on 25-6-2013 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archie

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

He has a dead man's switch in place. I fail to see how this will not protect him.

Manning and Assange also held cards.

Look at what that got them......

Governments will use any means to keep their power.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Snowden is gonna end up like the guy in "The Terminal", esp. if Ecuador refuse him an entry visa.

He'll be a guy without papers, without a country, completely unable to travel.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Variable
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

And why should he be extradited? He exposed the truth and if you think that's wrong then you're insane.

You do realize that staying in a country that does not have a treaty to extradite with the U.S =/= Handing over information to said country?

Now, if you think the legal operations are illegal then get a lawyer and sue the Government.

What the NSA has now been shown to be doing has already been deemed illegal.

edit on 25-6-2013 by Shadowphile because: fixed quote

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Good!

www.campaignforliberty.org...

Ron Paul: My understanding is that espionage means giving secret or classified information to the enemy. Since Snowden shared information with the American people, his indictment for espionage could reveal (or confirm) that the US Government views you and me as the enemy,

Hello Unity!

Your post reminded me of a comment I made in a thread a few days ago. The way things are developing as this new century progresses leaves a warrant speculation that maybe the U.S. Government is painting with a broad stroke and coloring the American citizens 'enemy red':

Originally posted by esteay812

reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you read that again. ANY PUBLIC STATEMENT IS PERJURY IF IT IS A LIE NOT MEANT TO DECEIVE AN ENEMY!!!!!! And this is the crux of the argument. Public officials ARE NOT allowed to lie.

This makes perfect sense, really. You must understand it properly to realize why these political officials, inluding the POTUS, will never be charged with such 'High Crimes'.

What they are doing is NOT Illegal! This becomes clear when you consider an alrenative interpretation of the language of the provision.

While we believe it is not OK for these officials to lie to us, they believe it is, as they are lying in a manner meant to deceive the enemy.

WE, the U.S. Citizens, ARE VEIWED BY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT AS THE ENEMY!!!

Since we are viewed as the enemy, then these lies are not illegal.

Is it so hard to believe that the citizens could be considered the enemy of the state? Look at how the U.S. citizens have been treated, look at how the U.S. Constitution is under constant attack, look at all the deception being revealed, look at the economy, the income levels/cost of living increase, look at taxation rates, look at civil freedom restrictions... I could go on and on with things that have been/are being done that clearly do not have the best interests of the U.S. citizens in mind.

Is this how you would treat your own people?

- or -

Is this how you would treat your enemies?

We are currently in a Civil Cold War, with the government covertly and psychologically fighting against the citizens. The government is patiently and methodically breaking the citizens down. They are frequently removing the liberties of the people, removing/restricting their right to protect themselves, establishing control through financial slavery, brain-washing them with tech devices and pop-culture (or, more accurately, pop-vulture) entertainment.

edit on 25-6-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Manning and Assange also held cards.

Look at what that got them......

Governments will use any means to keep their power.

Manning and Assange will be considered examples of the early wave of information freedom fighters, the ones that weren't sure how it would all come down when they leaked. Snowden and Wikileaks have obviously learned from the mistakes made by the antecedents (and Manning's rookie mistake was to confide in idiot features Lamo).

They're becoming a lot more savvy with how they go about things and I think Snowden is their best chance yet. It's obvious Snowden's excellent adventure has been pre-meditated and planned out in advance to the enth degree with little being left to chance. I have high hopes for him being given asylum and hopefully helping the resistance against government secrecy not in the interests of innocent private citizens solidify into something more broad and solid. That probably sounds idealistic but... you have to hope.

And as for his insurance files, the US are crapping themselves about what exactly he's got, and so is Australia. They seem to think he's got "practically everything", whatever that means. The way they've been carrying on in past days points to their panic. He's got them on the ropes.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Archie because: .

edit on 25-6-2013 by Archie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join