It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.5/3 Preview Video: see the big changes coming soon to ATS!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have a rather dumb question regarding the "forever scroll". So for some reason when I click a link and then hit back my browser(s) don't go back to the place I was on the previous page. Is the "forever scroll" going to open pages in a different window by default, or am I going to have to keep doing the stupid open window in new tab thing I've started to grow accustomed to? It just seems like finding what you want may be a bit of a pain. I get that it's much more my problem than anyone else's.

I'm on a MacBook Pro if anyone has any ideas for my back button. *Cough* Skeptic I know you're a Mac guy. I've Goggled this a few times with no luck.

Other than that it looks good to me. I think it's going to take some time to acclimate but it looks way cleaner and I have a feeling we'll all be liking it in no time. ATS does look a little archaic right now.

Skeptic you mentioned that the color isn't nearly as white as it appears in the video, is there a way for us to get a better idea of the actual color?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I for one am very excited about the new redesign. I've been testing it now pretty much all the time for the most part and I have to say it is really quite nice. Sure, it takes some getting use to, it's visually much more to take in, yet much less in a lot of ways.

In any case, if you have your doubts, I'm sure 80% of you will love it and the other 20% well you can't ever please. If it wasn't those 20 it would be another.

But really..it's awesome. Very awesome.

~Tenth
edit on 6/24/2013 by tothetenthpower because: bad syntax

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Domo1
Skeptic you mentioned that the color isn't nearly as white as it appears in the video, is there a way for us to get a better idea of the actual color?

Large 423k png file --> colors-ats.png

That should help.

Busy right now, will respond to yours and other member questions in a couple hours.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have a feeling a lot of people will choose to use that background. I like it. Not nearly as blinding as I initially thought. Thanks and nice work. I'll wait patiently.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Thanks for the hard work, all of you.
And I'm also relieved there will be an option for those of us myopics who
easily succumb to snow-blindness. WTH, it took me two years to successfully
go dark with my Office scheme.

But even being a technical caveman I yet see wonderful strides for apps I
still cannot grasp-- such as for portable telephones! WooHoo.

And this from the stubborn near geriatricoid that held on to Microsoft Macro
Assembler 5.0-- until my landlady complained about the moldy pall oozing
from "Mr. Havisham's bedroom closet". But hey, when Windows 8 crashes
I just close the DesqView window

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Looks pretty good for it being a rough model.
Hope my older model computer (Microsoft 7 starter edition ( I know its simple but it gets the job done) is compatible to it).

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Signals
When does this go live?

I don't know. There's still a lot of work to do, but it's probably 75% complete from a code standpoint. 50% complete from a CSS (style sheets) standpoint.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
ATS is my favorite web site and I am sure the changes will improve it, my only pet peeve is no thread views like we used to have, it's the one thing I miss that every other forum I post on the net has. It gauges interest in a way stars and flags can't, sort of like views of YouTube videos don't reflect comments and likes verses dislikes. When I make a topic I don't care about stars or flags or on other sites likes or thumbs up, but views that is of importance to me.
Just sayin.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

No other forums get the traffic we do. There are many "typical" forum features we don't have.

Think about it...

If we logged every view, that's a processing-costly write to the database (to increment the view count) every time a thread page is viewed. Reading from the database to assemble a thread is efficient... but our traffic is average of 2 million pages viewed every day, our technology budget could not support the server cluster needed to support automatic view-count increments. Even YouTube doesn't do that.

(We looked at YouTube's method of incrementing a separate database, but it still requires the cost of another server just for a minor metric.)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

No other forums get the traffic we do. There are many "typical" forum features we don't have.

Bodybuilding.com's forum is large. They have 61 million posts in there "misc" forum alone and 99 million posts plus altogether. 4chan has over 900 million posts according to big-boards.com, even though it is an "image board" as appose to a message board.

I must say however, no other forum can compare graphically and aesthetically to Above Top Secret. I have to commend you on that, this site has come a long way.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
For those who didn't read S.O.'s OP completely...

THERE WILL BE A "DARK VERSION"

of the new design.

edit on 6-25-2013 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

THERE WILL BE A "DARK VERSION"

"I find your lack of faith dist... ohhhh wait, never mind."

edit on 6/25/2013 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

But will there be a dark version?

Having played with the demo site, I can say it's beautiful and smooth! I don't want to give away too much - just saying that it's going to be excellent!

Applause for SkepticOverlord for his brilliant - and sometimes thankless - work!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by llBll

I was being specific to full-featured forums, and, non-member traffic. 80-90% of our traffic is from guests.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I can't wait to try it myself! It looks fresh and new like it should have a lemony fresh pine scent to it....

I can't find an ETA on it though. Any round about guesses? Give or take?
edit on 6/25/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And yes -- a dark version of the UI will be available, but not finished until the entire site is complete.

OK, then it's safe to put away my torch and pitchfork and we won't be storming the castle.

I know, I felt like Monty Python when I first saw these changes...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I hope i'm allowed to do this (it only took a quick google to find) but I've just been having a play around with the beta version of the site and I do have to say that I like it - especially the infinite scrolling and the way the menu pins to the top.

Also, the colour scheme is nowhere near as bad on the eyes as some people are thinking but will have to see which one I prefer (light or dark) when the option is available.

Thank you for all your hard work in making this site better!

P.s I'm loving the new emoticons!

edit on 25-6-2013 by tomjo because: emoticons

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tomjo

It totally messes up my avatar it appears the width is about 30 pixels more:

I just made this avatar the other week too! ARRRGH!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
And BTW whats with the
emoticon? with all the gun related threads on here I'm sure someone wont be happy with it... lol

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
lol I never even knew about the uzi emoticon

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join