ATS.5/3 Preview Video: see the big changes coming soon to ATS!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Dear STA Staff type folks,

Hey, I like it... Only thing is I prefer the darker background and white letters..

If that isn't possible to choose, oh well... it won't keep me from coming here or posting at times.

Good luck with the new look, and I know you must have worked HARD for all this too!!

Appreciate your efforts, and thank you for the heads up on coming changes.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Looking good, fresh, new & innovative...I agree with some of the other members comments that the icons would look better with some color added to them but I enjoy the white, fresh design...maybe there's an option to have a member change it to the dark screen too (if they so choose)

-Also, it would be nice to see the ATS logo on the top of the screen have a green outline around it, similar to the green color in its logo on the Facebook page. love the new features, especially the forever scroll. I love the +More feature and how it combines everything under it, for example the My ATS page, my account, profile, etc...

MyATS page -I see in the video that when you put the cursor over the 4 different selections under the favorite forums, it might be nice to have a lil text pop up next to the cursor to tell you what that is...for example, flags, comments, threads, etc (I might take that back b/c as I watch the video I do see this on the 'threads' pages - EX: add to favorites, subscribe to thread, write a reply)

Maybe this could be created as an added feature (plus it would get the younger, more tech savvy people to start contributing more in an easy, quick and fun manner) Just as meme's are popular across the internet...maybe ATS creates a 'Alternative News MEME' page (this would consist of only MEMEs on any subject that ATS houses, but members would only be allowed to post one image per post, and it would be a MEME that they created or found trolling the web...other members would only be able to LIKE/DISLIKE each meme, but no commenting) for the sake of members posting the same MEME multiple times, maybe their's a back-end feature that tells the member that this MEME has already been posted within that month/year/forever (whatever), so it would reject them from posting it. "not sure how tough that this to pull off though"

(one drawback about the current profile page is that each section needs to be updated separately, even though I knew this I would still add to each box and then hit submit of one of the sections and it would only update that section and delete all the content I put into the other sections...maybe if there was one submit button and it updated all sections -that would be nice)

ATS has come a long way 'from what I've seen in this video' (b/c I've only been on the site for about a year to 18 months and only have one thread, so I need to start participating more, STAT) -especially with all this NSA/Snowden stuff going on (I'm intrigued, excited and can't stop thinking about the 'possibilities/scenarios' of what is/could be going on behind the scenes)

I've been on a journey around the world (well, the world inside my head that is) and now it's time to start contributing to intelligent discussions.

I do enjoy this site most of all the other alternative news sites "conspiracy/paranormal" stuff...

look forward to the new release...I'm gonna think about it some and add more constructive feedback after I get a good nights sleep on it.

so long for now! -CGS
edit on 6/26/2013 by codegreenspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hello ATS digiwizards!

Do you think, in the 'recent posts' section, it would be possible to put the page numbers/links at the bottom of the page as weel as the top? It's a huge effort (ok, not that huge) to scroll back up to the top of the page to click on the next page!

Also, is it possible (again on the 'recent posts' page) that after you have clicked on a recent post, that when you hit the 'back' button on your browser that you go back to the same page you saw in the first place? I mean so that it isn't updated unless you click the 'recent posts' button on the top menu.

Many times I see a lot of recent posts that I want to read and after reading the first, I go back to read another and I have to search for it because the page has updated.

If the above can't be done, then no problem, but I will be most vexed! Well, not vexed....just a little miffed!

Regards

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Pretty neat !

Really looking forward to the scrolling feature on the recent posts page.

Modern looks, the features I use are still there, hopefully it'll be easier to navigate when I'm on the android phone.

ATS keeps on getting better. All the time !!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Looks nice! Although Iddon't like white backgrounds for site, I hope they have an option to change that!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I dig the color. looks good.

You may want to look at some of what the daily dot is doing.
I'm digging the way they display news.

www.dailydot.com...

You might want to stea....errr i mean be inspired by their site.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I fear change. Whah !

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

One, it's very bright. Two, where is the "tools+" function? I didn't see that anyplace. Didn't see "chat", either. Those are things I think many of use use and need. Are they going to be gone now?

I like the instant flag, etc., but don't really care much for the rest. The site is easy to use already. Plus, I have to add, I cannot STAND this "forever scroll" stuff! I actually changed my email over that recently! It makes locating things far more difficult. Pages are much simpler.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

ThinkingCap
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It's been mentioned in previous threads about the redesign, that it's in the process of breaking.

Our "chrome" or font-end is essentially 4 years old, and not in compliance with contemporary web standards and modern web browsers. Not to mention it's difficult to use on mobile devices.

I could see a change for those using mobile devices, but what about those of us that never do, and like this format? I love the current colors, the simple menu options at the top of the page, the cute little emoticons, etc. The white look is glaring, and generic, for a computer screen. I have always thought ATS looked different, because it is different, and the look contributed to the whole feel of the site. I understand there can be issues with web pages, and really appreciate how few of those this site has. These are always addressed quickly, and it shows that you truly care about the members. That said, is it possible to keep the current look, if we prefer it? I am already starting to miss the design, and the cute little emoticons!

ETA - Did I mention how much I detest forever scroll? I think I might cry.....
edit on 28-6-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: added note

Blue_Jay33
It could be done once every 24 hours, would that eat less data.

We'd still need to do a database write every time a thread is accessed, to some database somewhere. In some cases, with popular threads, it could be several hundred times a minute, just to increment one metric.

Back when we had some significant server bottlenecks during our growth period, turning off that feature was the panacea. Now our traffic is 5 times what it was then, but our infrastructure is not.

Actually, I like NOT having views listed. It's not really an accurate reflection of a thread, anyway, as some look like, from the title, they could be interesting, and turn out to be anything BUT.
edit on 28-6-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment - don't want to scroll the page

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Blue_Jay33

No other forums get the traffic we do. There are many "typical" forum features we don't have.

Think about it...

If we logged every view, that's a processing-costly write to the database (to increment the view count) every time a thread page is viewed. Reading from the database to assemble a thread is efficient... but our traffic is average of 2 million pages viewed every day, our technology budget could not support the server cluster needed to support automatic view-count increments. Even YouTube doesn't do that.

(We looked at YouTube's method of incrementing a separate database, but it still requires the cost of another server just for a minor metric.)

An easier way to track smaller metrics like Thread View Counts without the overhead and processing power is a small AJAX (or language of choice) script that increments an associated XML file storing all the data points for a given thread generated. As I understand it, you guys store all thread data in a database, and the page itself is generated on the fly, right? Throw the script in the database as part of the page generation, which increments a static XML file that contains thread ID's. Just spitballin' here

I guess my point being is that you don't necessarily need to restrict data gathering to databases, especially when tracking smaller metrics.

You don't need a database for everything. Especially when larger SQL databases increase processing power the way they do.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

I experimented with that very same method a while back, and we had several issues that resulted in inaccuracies when compared to Google Analytics. The first issue is that we had several threads getting views faster than the file system could properly increment the XML (it's not as fast as you think), resulting in some minor file system corruption.

I also tried using INNOdb tables that don't write-lock as aggressively, on a small stand-alone db server. The pipe to the server was overloaded with requests at peak traffic times.

But accuracy is a real issue

About a third of all access to our servers are crawlers and spiders, those aren't human views, and would skew the actual numbers by a significant amount. This was confirmed about three years ago when I did a test by putting a hidden thread (with an view counter similar to what you mentioned) in the XML site maps, meaning normal users would never see it. Over the course of one month, it got over 2,000 "views" from user-agents that are typical of crawlers.

So really, in the end, the typical thread view-count of forum systems, especially for higher-profile forums, is not a reflection of how many people saw the thread. This is one of the main reasons I never worked hard for a solution.

And then comes the other inconvenient issue -- all threads before any new view-count system would show zero.

The Google Analytics API shows promise with some of the new features in BETA. We can conceivably run a job that obtains the confirmed human-view count, and update the totals regularly.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by zeeon

I experimented with that very same method a while back, and we had several issues that resulted in inaccuracies when compared to Google Analytics. The first issue is that we had several threads getting views faster than the file system could properly increment the XML (it's not as fast as you think), resulting in some minor file system corruption.

I also tried using INNOdb tables that don't write-lock as aggressively, on a small stand-alone db server. The pipe to the server was overloaded with requests at peak traffic times.

But accuracy is a real issue

About a third of all access to our servers are crawlers and spiders, those aren't human views, and would skew the actual numbers by a significant amount. This was confirmed about three years ago when I did a test by putting a hidden thread (with an view counter similar to what you mentioned) in the XML site maps, meaning normal users would never see it. Over the course of one month, it got over 2,000 "views" from user-agents that are typical of crawlers.

So really, in the end, the typical thread view-count of forum systems, especially for higher-profile forums, is not a reflection of how many people saw the thread. This is one of the main reasons I never worked hard for a solution.

And then comes the other inconvenient issue -- all threads before any new view-count system would show zero.

The Google Analytics API shows promise with some of the new features in BETA. We can conceivably run a job that obtains the confirmed human-view count, and update the totals regularly.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

I never thought of the accuracy and crawler issues, you are totally right. As a developer, sometimes I get stuck in that "we can make it work" but forget about the quality issues.

I can't imagine the overhead involved if you tried to filter view counts from known crawler address space...besides being completely useless as the whole idea is to reduce overhead. I suppose you could throw a small formula in our theoretical script that'd "guestimate" the number of crawler views based on past observations - that'd you get you closer atleast to the real number, but alas, still not completely accurate.

On a side note - if you ever need some free Infosec/IA consultation or assistance, I'd be honored to help out.
I'm pentester certified (among others) and a decent python programmer

edit on 28-6-2013 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

On a side note - if you ever need some free Infosec/IA consultation or assistance, I'd be honored to help out.
I'm pentester certified (among others) and a decent python programmer

Stay tuned for the call for beta testers once the new site is complete. We'll need people that can spot issues on a variety of things, including responsive webApps.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I will be looking forward to the dark version! Congrats on the the new ATS!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of "forever scroll"... better said my old PC is not. Can we have pages as well, if we have old machines?
I really like the insta-flag, insta-favorite and other "insta" buttons.
I also have a problem with light sites.. especially when i have to read a lot, like here.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Kryscent
I'm not a fan of "forever scroll"...

Ours is very "lite-weight" so it should work well for you.

I've been testing the entire site on a old (2009) HP craptop with 2 gigs of ram and Windows Vista with IE9. The forever scroll works great.

(hint: there are no graphics, seriously, the forever scroll is just 1 http call per scroll)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryscent

I've been using nothing but the 'beta' site now for almost 2 weeks and I can hardly go back to the current site to be honest. The new features and the layout, even the white on black look is actually VERY awesome.

I'm sure you guys will really enjoy it, even if there wasn't a dark option.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Would it not be easier to make a seperate ATS phone app than doing this. It would be nice to see message inbox integrated better into the ATS portal instead of having to push three tabs or so to view a thread reply. Looks neat anyhow..

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm glad there will still be a dark option. I would suggest perhaps making dark the "default" theme based on the responses here.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Overall I'd say there's some good improvements there. I'm not fond of the White/Grey backgrounds, but the instant flagging, starring, favoriting, ect is great!

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join