It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.5/3 Preview Video: see the big changes coming soon to ATS!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Great design is more about reduction than anything else.

(I couldn't resist....)

In my view, site design is very much like art and women's fashion.

The pendulum keeps swinging back and forth... It will again.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The wall of text problem will always be an issue for sites like ATS (discussion boards) on certain pages.

I actually think this is something ATS has handled exceptionally well.

There is something to be said about user generated aesthetics, as well as user generated content. I'm assuming much of these bells and whistles are going away.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm saddened to see them go.

edit on 24-6-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

What bells and whistles?

If anything, there's more.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Well, it looks like posts will be fairly normalized.

Only seeing screen images, it's hard to judge otherwise. I assume text sizing and colors go away....as do many of the existing emoticons, etc...

If this impression is incorrect and there is indeed more...glad to hear it.

I'll reserve judgment until we can actually kick the tires.

Otherwise, like I said...VAST improvement for mobile use.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Awesome. I really appreciate the video preview! And I'm especially looking forward to the mobile app.
Change is inevitable - thank you so much for making it a user-friendly and positive experience, SO.

peace,
AB
edit on 24-6-2013 by AboveBoard because: redundancy ;-)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

loam
Well, it looks like posts will be fairly normalized.

All the existing post-formatting options remain. The emoticons are the same, just in a new design that compliments the new UI.

And what you saw in the video was video-captures of the functioning site. I'm using it now.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Cool.

Can't wait to play.

I've been around here long enough to know that change may not always be welcomed, but ultimately accepted. You guys have done well enough.

In the end, the site management and user content are the most important things.

The rest is just gravy.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think it will be good. Exciting to say the least.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Octave
That forever scroll looks rad

No no no it's a google trap. Argh. I hate it. It will mean forever the 'device' is slugging along because it never has ALL the info.. Google went full retard with the "Lets make everything an app style thing" and broke themselves. Now everything pops up and out or in and down or around just because you can't find the obvious spot where something clickable is. It's all 'Are you using a finger? Well this entire 500x300 pixel area is a toggle box now."

But as with all disconfirmation, it is an improvement because.. the alternative is not an option.

I see no way to access your Files section from the compose a message screen, still. A handy thing to have as an improvement and ties in features within the forums but seems to be forgotten - either by design or by accident.

I see no way to put a terrible netizen in a personal naughty box. Keeps the staff on their toes I guess, removing posts from those of us less staunch in our ability to tolerate rampant insanity.

I see my userscript is broken.. And now must recreate the wheel. GADZOOKS!

It's a conspiracy. ATS is in with the makers of prozac. I know it. Im sure I can google the proooof!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Did everyone notice the site menu at the top? The video shows how it snaps to the top of the page, and stays there, while you scroll.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow, I am actually really impressed and excited. I usually don't like change much. Wait, customizable post options like bold italic, colors and emoticons are out?
edit on 24-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

link   
seriously SO wheres the the dark version...?

you did one right?

link   

I have to say...I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Probably the best you're going to get from me at the moment.

Genuinely look forward to it though.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

When have you projected that the switch over will take place, and how long after that before we can expect the "dark" option?

Also, love the new avi SO......the eyes are awesome!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I find it aesthetic.

[Color=red]Cle[Color=orange]an[Color=yellow] an[Color=green]d s[Color=blue]im[Color=purple]ple

Do you see? I would enjoy the change.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Reckon I will be awaiting the Dark UI with anticipation... White backgrounds are murder on the eye.

I'm with you on that. White kills my eyes and when I think of ATS I think of a dark themed forum... it's matches the ATS brand and sets it apart from other forums. To change all that now is really a bad move imo. And honestly I think the current theme looks better than that white theme. It's clean and user friendly, sure... but it lacks style and originality. I wouldn't mind using this theme as the alternative to the white theme.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
White kills my eyes...

Seems very "SPACE 1999-ish".

I'll go dark too.

Anyone old enough to remember that show?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Looks good, I'm glad there will be a dark version, as others have said white is murder on the eyes. I just hope it's not white text on black background that would be worse lol. The current color scheme is one of my favorite things about ATS, it's very aesthetic and easy on the eyes.

Not sure if I will like that forever scroll thing though, will there be an option to disable that?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
May I suggest an auto-search feature that automatically comes up with a list of existing threads when someone tries to start a new thread? This is very effective on other forums lowering the amount of duplicate threads.

Also, what about a working chat room where everyone (regardless of characters in their names) can join, and we can click on their names to view their posts and profiles like we used to be able to do back in the day?

Looking good, though.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My dream of ATS Plasma is almost coming true.

Looks good. Nice job.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Looks great to me!

I know not one thing about any of it, but I was wondering would it not be space saving if one could simply copy and paste things like pictures instead of uploading them? I know there are many who have problems with that.

The search engine does not bring things up by date, so I find things but have to really work to see if it is really old or new.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join