It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactivity levels soar in Fukushima Daiichi groundwater, flowing into ocean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Radioactivity levels soar in Fukushima Daiichi groundwater, flowing into ocean

As reported by Common Dreams, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has admitted that strontium-90 levels exceed legal limits by 33 times, and tritium levels by 8 times, in groundwater less than a hundred feet from the Pacific Ocean. "That is very high," a TEPCO official told a press conference.

Carcinogenic Sr-90 seeks human bone. Tritium (H-3) can lodge anywhere in the human body where hydrogen goes (which is everywhere), and is a clinically proven cause of cancer, birth defects, and genetic damage.

As reported by Agence France Presse, "Subsoil water usually flows out to sea, meaning
(visit the link for the full news article)

See:

www.beyondnuclear.org...

www.beyondnuclear.org...

elpc.org...’s-annual-utility-bills-could-climb-over-800-if-legislature-permits-unfair-nuclear-reactor-financing- method

www.psr.org...

for specific and generic information on not only the environmental/heath insanity but the equally noxious ecomonics of nukes.

edit on 20-6-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just want to share this - I heard it over the radio this morning. I was horrified to hear how much water (800 tons), fresh water is being used to cool the reactors and cooling ponds. This is an insane use of a precious resource.

This 'waste water' has to be stored in above ground tanks (which are leaking) in order not to contaminate the ground water which in turn with contaminate the ocean.

This 800 ton a day water habit will go on indefinitely - as TEPCO has no plan to deal with this and other continuing contanination vectors. They have no plan whatsoever to contain this ongoing, daily nuclear accident.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday about the high levels of contamination in the ground water......it got like one response and a fwd to the only working thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thats my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread672665/pg1

This is the working thread, all 1384 pages

edit on 20-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I wanted to pass on this article rebuting the recent claims that alternative energy is too costly and inefficient to replace new nuclear - and that only nuclear can save us:

cleantechnica.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What do you think a CHINA SYNDROME EVENT looks like?
The core of at least one, possibly more reactor has burnt its way deep underground below the containment
chamber....groundwater will be increasingly contamiated....
Theres no escaping this disaster for anybody....it covers all classes of people....indifferently.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Been a concern of mine since it happened. Then it just falls out out of the news like it never happened.
Nuclear is clean energy......

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP. Many think this is over simply because Tokyo implies it is and the media lost interest with their chronic ADD for sticking with stories. Ohhh...if only it were over. It's a long long way from it. They are still simply building the outside casements and support to begin the process of extracting fuel rods ....which, at some point, will then allow them into the actual reactor spaces and core area to see and properly evaluate what has actually happened. Much is still assumptions based on best estimates and hopeful thinking.

Here are some of the latest reports to go with yours for outflow of 'hot' cooling water.

Completion of Steel Framing - Unit 4

Debris Removal from the Upper Part of Unit 3

Dismantlement of Unit 1 Reactor Building

Those are all carrying May / 2013 publish dates. Fuku isn't a gift that keeps on giving. It's a nightmare that just won't end.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
They know roughly how much fuel is there, couldn't they do some calculations an figure out a good yield for a small warhead. They could evacuate the area far enough.....that wave kind of forced there hand at that anyway.
They could just burn it all up with a nuke, it has to be better then letting it burn into the ground contaminating everything. Sure it may be participated and blown into the atmo, but this stuff was in tiny quantities before they mined it.

I cant help but think this is the ONLY way. Or its a lack of imagination on my part.

Or is it just too much material?
edit on 20-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Most Americans have no clue that this is still going on.

I'm not surprised, because our media has been ignoring it, but it's still sad.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
3 Mile Island was extensively covered for a long time, yet it was a warm fart in the wind compared to Fukishima... but the 3MI accident was on U.S. soil. Fukishima is too far away and the average American doesn't see how it effects them... no interest, no coverage. Very sad, yet very true.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Game over for the entire northern hemisphere and the human population on that part of the earth.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
We arent dead yet........just irradiated

edit on 20-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Remember when some people were actually trying to suggest exposure to this type of radiation would be good for us and lead to beneficial evolutionary changes...so we should all be happy or something? I sure do. What ever happened to those people anyway? Maybe they went for an extra close dosage and got themselves cooked extra crispy. I haven't seen one spouting that for quite some time though.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
Most Americans have no clue that this is still going on.

I'm not surprised, because our media has been ignoring it, but it's still sad.

Most Americans do not realize that Fukushima Daichi was ONE of SEVERAL plants that are in a malfunctioning state. In all over 11 reactors PLUS the places they are storing extra junk rods. All were affected by the earthquake and tsunami, yet we only hear about ONE stupid plant...what about ALL of them. What about the OTHER plants, that's what I'd like to know....why are they not saying ANYTHING about the other ones?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Remember when some people were actually trying to suggest exposure to this type of radiation would be good for us and lead to beneficial evolutionary changes...so we should all be happy or something? I sure do. What ever happened to those people anyway? Maybe they went for an extra close dosage and got themselves cooked extra crispy. I haven't seen one spouting that for quite some time though.

That is the same reasoning used on "The Simpsons" episode when they discovered "Blinky" the three eyed fish living in the discharge water of Mr. Burn's atomic energy plant. Then they invited him to eat one at a PR dinner with the Simpson family. Mr. Burns wouldn't take a bite (I believe).

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Just want to share this - I heard it over the radio this morning. I was horrified to hear how much water (800 tons), fresh water is being used to cool the reactors and cooling ponds. This is an insane use of a precious resource.

This 'waste water' has to be stored in above ground tanks (which are leaking) in order not to contaminate the ground water which in turn with contaminate the ocean.

This 800 ton a day water habit will go on indefinitely - as TEPCO has no plan to deal with this and other continuing contanination vectors. They have no plan whatsoever to contain this ongoing, daily nuclear accident.

the tanks are a joke and it doesn't matter if they leak, since the cores of several reactors are currently melting into the ground. the entire place should be covered in concrete because there will be no cleanup, since it's currently impossible with today's technology. nothing but diplomatic and political propaganda, is what we'll see.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The biggest question I have always had about this disaster is.....

Who on earth thinks building nuclear reactors on seismically active ground near a coast is a good idea? Seriously..

There are so many problems with the way their safety regs and maintenance (or lack thereof) were handled prior to the disaster, the way it was handle in its infancy, and the way it is still not being handled today.

The reactors were built in a horrible spot, they were poorly designed, and TEPCO was warned of the very real risk of tsunamis prior to the disaster, multiple times, from multiple sources, and yet... they did nothing. At one point, they even released in an interview that they didn't take the necessary precautions so as not to 'upset the locals', oh how I wish I could still find the source for that little gem!

Something drastic needs to be done before something even more drastic happens. What that is? I'm not exactly sure.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

That is the same reasoning used on "The Simpsons" episode when they discovered "Blinky" the three eyed fish living in the discharge water of Mr. Burn's atomic energy plant. Then they invited him to eat one at a PR dinner with the Simpson family. Mr. Burns wouldn't take a bite (I believe).

he did take the bite
then took a few chew's
only to spit it out

Take a look
at a map of facility's in the USA

if new madrid goes
it ain't gonna be good

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Sadly, we live in a world that if it's out of sight, it's out of mind... Once Media stops reporting it and Govt. stops discussing it, only a small (and i mean SMALL) fraction of the people on this planet will even think about it... It's a damn shame that as a human race we've shown such tremendous growth, but with that growth we've became our own worst enemy...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Actually there is research being done which allegedly (it hasn't been peer reviewed yet) increases the decay rate of radioactive materials... Of course this research is being done in Japan and Russia/former provinces...

coldfusionnow.org...

lenr-canr.org...

And a American scientist,

lenr-canr.org...

The last two papers are nearly 10 years old...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join