It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post - Classified Docs Reveal Obama Upcoming Africa trip cost up to 100 Million $$

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The Washington Post claims access to classified POTUS travel docs ...

So America .. $100 Million to send our POTUS and his family on a trip to SubSaharan Africa.
Is there anything there worth spending $100 million on to get him and his family over there?

Washington Post - Major resources needed for Obama Africa trip

President Obama will travel to sub-Saharan Africa and the price tag for the trip clocks in between $60 million to $100 million. The Washington Post’s Carol Leonnig got access to classified documents outlining the trip. Update: The White House has cancelled the safari for this trip. ....

Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.

Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet­proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts, giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace, so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

At least they have reconsidered the Safari that was on the schedule.
It may be off the schedule now -

The president and first lady had also planned to take a Tanzanian safari as part of the trip, which would have required the president’s special counterassault team to carry sniper rifles with high-caliber rounds that could neutralize cheetahs, lions or other animals if they became a threat, according to the planning document.

The reason for dropping the safari ...they had limited resources and decided to prioritize .. choosing a visit to Robben Island over a two-hour safari in Tanzania. Internal documents show that the first family will be doing both .... going to Robben Island AND going on the Safari. So it's unclear if this safari is dropped or not.

Both Clinton and Bush43 went on expensive boondoggles to Africa as well.

The first family will also be going on a trip to Northern Ireland and Germany this month.
June is an expensive time for the US Taxpayers. We are certainly spending a whole
lot to send the first family around the world. I wonder what we get out of it?
I wonder if it's worth it for us ....

In other news ... 'The People's House (WH)' is still closed to tours and the Blue Angels
still have all their airshows cancelled because .. supposedly .. there isn't enough money
for these All-American activities to continue. :shk:

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
As we all struggle to makes ends meet, our President is considering a lavish trip to Africa......

Most of the country is struggling to pay the bills in their household and now they need to worry about covering the Presidents vacations...

US Govt. PLEASE get your priorities straight... You are ALL bleeding this country dry.

And with all the [snipped] going on in this country, scandals, possible war with Syria, etc... Why the hell are you looking at vacation time? You need to be cleaning up this mess, not running away expecting it all to just go away... You took the job, now please do us all a favor and DO IT...

edit on 14-6-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jun 14 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
our President is considering a lavish trip to Africa......

It's more than 'considering'. It's on the schedule. So are the Germany and Ireland trips.
My question ... what is worth $100 million to us taxpayers for send the first family over there?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by jhn7537
our President is considering a lavish trip to Africa......

It's more than 'considering'. It's on the schedule. So are the Germany and Ireland trips.
My question ... what is worth $100 million to us taxpayers for send the first family over there?

He could easily take an all-inclusive trip to Mexico for $449 for a week (flight included)... Now look, i just saved the US taxpayers a $100 million...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Maybe a lot more than we know. This isn't just a family vacation trip... He'll be working in every country

Rhodes said the emerging democracies on the president's itinerary are crucial partners in regional security conflicts. Obama will hold bilateral meetings with each country's leader in an effort to forge stronger economic ties. He will reportedly also highlight global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

Source

edit on 6/14/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Star and Flag! This excrement makes me want to vomit, no matter who is in the White house.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm sorry, but saving Africa should be pretty low on his to-do list right now... He has some much bigger issues to deal with this second and I'm sure he will be working very little on the "business" trip

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Maybe a lot more than we know. This isn't just a family vacation trip... He'll be working in every country

Rhodes said the emerging democracies on the president's itinerary are crucial partners in regional security conflicts. Obama will hold bilateral meetings with each country's leader in an effort to forge stronger economic ties. He will reportedly also highlight global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

Source

We have our own problems that need to be taken care of here, first and foremost.

Just my opinion, of course.

Maybe after some of our domestic issues are solved, this trip would be more appropriate.

edit on 14-6-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow...

You take vacations to reward yourself for a job well done.

This has got to be fake.

We have King Obama spending a 10TH OF A BILLION DOLLARS of OUR money.

Just...WOW!

Even if he does work. That doesn't justify spending that much when you could use the internet, and a simple video conferencing program.

Hell just make some long distance phone calls.

Glad to know hundreds of security forces pretty much get to go on vacation on our dime also.

edit on 14-6-2013 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wonder how come hardly anyone is screaming bloody murder at all the US bases in Africa?

100 million dollars on trip is a drop in the bucket compared to the foreign aid and the military presence there.

Obama is playing catchup for all the work the last administration did in Africa, but that work was not military related.

killerapps.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Plan A-

Go on lavish African vacation with no meetings, just a trip with the family. Cost will be around $60-100 million

Reaction- US Citizens are pissed and question what the hell he is doing...

Plan B-

Go on lavish African vacation with a few meetings scheduled. Cost will be around $60-100 million

Reaction- Obama supporters will justify the trip and say "well Bush did it too".. Gotta love the two wrongs make a right argument... Rest of the country smells BS and knows what he is up to, which is vacation...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Not enough with the mess he already does here?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I see two possibilities that might make the trip worth the cost:
1. the South Africans could arrest him
2. the Kenyans could keep him back at "home"

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So? In today's economy $100 Million is not that much. Africa is a dangerous place so he needs a lot of security.

link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Reaction- Obama supporters will justify the trip and say "well Bush did it too".

This is what Bush did in Africa

abcnews.go.com...

www.foxnews.com...

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Let him go, the vacations will be for us. Because I'm tired of this guy.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa

I see two possibilities that might make the trip worth the cost:
1. the South Africans could arrest him
2. the Kenyans could keep him back at "home"

ganjoa

Bingo! I knew that something was missing from this thread.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Fly the leaders in, set them up at the white house. Have your Bilateral talks here. Problem solved.

I jest...but just a little.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If you all are so ticked off about Obama spending 100 million, shouldn't you all be taking out your frustration on Congress who control the strings to the purse.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Quite an expense....

Lets see, 100 Million could fund:

400 new homes ($250k/ea.)
Provide food and clothing for those in need
Maybe upgrade some schools?
Maybe upgrade some essential public services equipment (Fire Trucks, Ambulances etc)

and many...many more

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join