It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caffeine Withdrawal Is Now A Mental Disorder

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Great point but what about the president and most of congress?? I'm pretty sure they all have denial disorder!!!! I think they need to get to the doctor right away.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Wow. God, this country is getting pathetic.

Sign me up for another bs mental disorder, then.

Today's the day I graduate high school, and I'm wired on caffeine because I didn't get any sleep. Here in a few hours, I'm gonna be a mental case, and I won't be able to purchase firearms anymore because of my deadly caffeine problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Ask anyone coming down from the high of one too many cups of coffee, and they'll tell you that the headaches from caffeine withdrawal can drive you crazy. So much so, that the latest version of psychiatry’s bible, DSM-5, is naming caffeine withdrawal as an actual mental disorder

Headaches means days off work.

If you haven't already noticed, anything that tends to make people less productive gets labelled a "mental illness".

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I used to be a caffeine addict (mental disorder), then went through withdrawal (mental disorder), and now I post on ATS (mental disorder). My drug of choice was soda (mental disorder). In my whole life I can count the cups of coffee I've had on one hand, and maybe a finger or two on the other (mental disorder). So whichever way I turn I'm crazy as a bedbug, according to the new psych guidelines, and that's even before I get up in the morning. Critizing the new guidelines? Mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Oh no, your only in just out of high school and already a caffeine addict?
Noooooo tell me it aint so!

Just kidding, welcome to the real world, where adults must have their coffee!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

There is an easy cure for all of this, just drink more coffee!

I know its a vicious cycle, but what alternative is there?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I am laughing on my way to the coffee maker right now.
My fix this morning is some Cafe La Duena, balanced, sweet and choclately.

Dont look to me for help.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

You get withdrawals from quitting taking medicines, do they call that a Mental Disorder? I guess the medical industry is trying to steer people into believing that stopping your meds is a Mental Disorder. The properties of coffee have many medical benefits, it is basically a medicine. Coffee has some similar properties to a drug that they say makes you smarter....Modifinil. Modifinil excites some of the same sections of the brain as coffee, and surprisingly tobacco. Does anyone remember the teachers, deep in thought, puffing on a pipe in the teachers lounge?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Oh no, your only in just out of high school and already a caffeine addict?
Noooooo tell me it aint so!

Just kidding, welcome to the real world, where adults must have their coffee!

Righhhhhht on.

Really, its because I'm liquid fasting, got no sleep, and I have two exams to take today. I am exhausted and fired up all at once.

Guys... help me... I have a problem. I'm suffering from caffeine disorder.

FOR GOD'S SAKE, HELP ME! I'M AN ADDICT!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Good points all around, in moderation coffee, as you say does have health benefits!
Now about those teachers, I do recall one older man with a pipe, no lounge.
There were still ciggarette advertisements too.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Admitting you have a problem is the first step....

Welcome to the clan, have another cup-o-joe / Monster / Red Bull / Jolt / Whatever floats your boat.... It will carry you through most of your adult years to come.

Keep a bottle of advil close by...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

Admitting you have a problem is the first step....

Welcome to the clan, have another cup-o-joe / Monster / Red Bull / Jolt / Whatever floats your boat.... It will carry you through most of your adult years to come.

Keep a bottle of advil close by...

I'm actually not big on substance use. But lately, I've been needing it. Between babysitting and school work, not finding much time to sleep... I actually hate the taste of coffee.

But two big cups with at least three stok (pure caffeine) shots usually keeps me up.

Jesus... maybe I really do have a problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yeah, there is another newer disorder called Oppositional Defiance Disorder, or O.D.D. So disagreeing with the government would fall into that category and probably "require" anti-psychotic medication like Seroquel or Resperidol.

Anyways, this coffee disorder basically proves that all of psychiatry is pseudo-scientific garbage. At the risk of sounding like a scientologist. But clearly it calls into question all of their so-called disorders.

And even though there are legitimate types of mental aberrations, like obsessive-compulsive and bipolar and anxiety etc, there are many safe and natural alternatives that do not require patented drugs. In fact, the great unknown secret about mental health problems is that almost all of them have a psychological root source. It can even be as obvious as a man whose wife just died of cancer and he has depression. A psychiatrist will consider that depression an illness in need of medication. This exact scenario happened to my brother-in-law's father. When he got worse from the medical side effects, the shrink got him to do electro-shock therapy. Now this man is mixed up, forgetful and totally depressed and miserable still.

Psychiatry is criminal and needs to be dismantled and made illegal and purged from our society. Period.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

This "disorder" as it’s described in the new DSM-5
(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders )
is placed under section ‘Caffeine-Related Disorders,’
which has a new entry: 'caffeine withdrawal'.

Most everyone knows the symptoms; fatigue,
headache and difficulty focusing.

Sure, those are valid symptoms of caffeine withdrawal if
you regularly over consume coffee, tea and drinks with
caffeine added... however is this really enough to classify
it a mental disorder?

So, now lets see what are the angles on this,
well for starters....you could be prevented from
owning a gun due to caffiene intoxication?

drinking too much caffeine can lead to “caffeine intoxication,” and withdrawal from the drug can lead to a caffeine-related “mental disorder

godfatherpolitics.com...

And, all they need to do is find you with those empty
coffee cups, and looking a bit tired.

www.philly.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Uugh...I decided to make Psychology my major at the wrong time!!!! I hate hate hate this new version of the DSM. How is any kind of withdrawal a psychological disorder...so, I guess having a fever is now a psychological disorder???? How about dieting and quitting smoking...are those disorders too?

Ooohhhh....how about having bad credit is a psychological disorder???

Infancy is a disorder
puberty is a disorder
pregnancy is a disorder
Menopause is a disorder
Barak Obama is a disorder
Getting aggravated by BS is a disorder
Non-compliance is a disorder

OBEY

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
well the obvious solution to this is to just not come down off the high? lol

im addicted to caffeine. and have given it up many times for long periods and its just not fun.

i love my coffee too much though to give up forever, and during winter (now) i drink about 4-5 cups a night at work (double shots also)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't know about caffeine withdrawal being a mental disorder, but the physical affects are tough. I gave up smoking 25 years ago cold turkey and quit coffee/colas 10 years ago, and for me quitting caffeine was way harder than cigarettes. I was nauseous and sweating during caffeine withdrawal, nicotine not so much.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Chiming in late on this but a couple months ago, between cups of coffee and taking advil (also contains caffeine), I started having problems with the migraines described. I'd wake up every morning with the worst brain splitting migraine that I'd ever have in my life (and I was on depakote once upon a time for migraines). It'd take about 4 hours to make the world livable again and the pain was so intense that it was definitely debilitating. Neurologist said that I was experiencing "caffeine rebound" where I'd been ingesting so much caffeine between beverage and advil, that I was actually going through withdrawals every a.m. because my body wasn't getting caffeine while I slept. Cutting the advil back out and reducing the caffeine had the month of migraine hell come to a full stop within a matter of days. Back to no migraines. It's not a joke. It's really quite bad and frankly, if caffeine can make it feel like somebody literally took an axe to your head every morning, then it should be on the DSM-5.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I don't know where you are getting your info but Advil doesn't have caffeine.
And Depakote is an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug. Commonly used for bipolar.
I have never heard of them using it FOR headaches.
Maybe you should get better doctors.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I started drinking coffee around 2003. I graduated HS in the 90's

I stopped drinking coffee 4 days ago. Truth is, I was drinking too much and not drinking enough normal water and my diet was too acidic. I was drinking half/half. But anyway, all I got on the 2nd or 3rd day was a very light headache. It's the 4th or 5th day now and it's completely gone. I"m not even certain the very slight head ache was from the coffee. Maybe, just unsure. And when I say it was a very light head ache, what I mean is I never needed an aspirin. It wasn't painful.

I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago as an experiment and never got a headache. I stayed off it fro several months and, frankly, no never noticed any real difference in my behavior.

To be honest, I just like to drink s***. Right now, I got my water bottle I drink from. But lord knows, since it's plastic, I'm bring ingesting carcinogetic substances, but at least it's more alkaline.

Getting some lettuce for the NBA game later today. Alkaline food.

My family thinks they NEED coffee. That's all they drink mostly. I can understand somewhat. But up until 2003 about I never NEEDED coffee. I got through college without coffee. All I drank back then was water. I didn't do redbull or sodas. I had a soda once in a blue moon, though. It all started when I saw the coffee pot during lunch at work. I tried it and thought it helped. So I kept doing it.

It becomes a habit. I haven't noticed it helping. Maybe that's because I was drinking a light coffee. Actually, i said half/half, but it's more like 1 tbsp of regular and 2 of decaf in 10-12 cups. And I was drinking maybe 4-5 cups a day. That's actually not a lot of caffeine, I think.

Regardless I'm going to purge some of the acids in my body for a while.
edit on 6-6-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tankgirl
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I don't know where you are getting your info but Advil doesn't have caffeine.
And Depakote is an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug. Commonly used for bipolar.
I have never heard of them using it FOR headaches.
Maybe you should get better doctors.

It's called a neurologist. I was on depakote for migraines and seizure activity after a TIA. Depakote is also used as a migraine treatment when the situation indicates it. Depakote doesn't treat migraines. It prevents them. Just because you have "never heard of" a drug being used for a such a thing, doesn't mean you shouldn't take the time to look it up. Depakote is a migraine drug used on a daily basis to prevent the onset of migraines. Considering that I was having trouble with both migraines and seizures, it's a no brainer why my very smart neurologist put me on depakote.
www.bellaireneurology.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
headaches.about.com...

You're right about the advil though--advil doesn't contain caffeine. However, it can contribute to the rebound migraines related to caffeine. I had been taking advil for several weeks due to a cervical injury before the onset of the rebound migraines. Taking a break from the advil eliminated them. From the Mayo Clinic on the subject of rebound migraines and pain killers: www.mayoclinic.com...=causes

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join