It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico seeks U.S. immigration changes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Colin Powell and Tom Ridge will be going to Mexico city to meet with Mexican officials. Mexico is hoping that the U.S. will change their immigration policies. They are disheartened over Arizona approving an initiative that keeps illegals from receiving government services.

``It's absurd that (the United States) is spending as much as it's spending to stop immigration flows that can't be stopped ... instead of using that money on real threats that pose risks for both countries,'' Interior Secretary Santiago Creel said earlier this week.

Creel said he sensed ``an openness to talking about immigration issues'' but warned against ``raising expectations beyond what is politically viable and really possible,'' a reference to resistance among U.S. legislators, despite a pair of temporary worker bills already before Congress.

Mexico acknowledged it suffered a setback in the Nov. 2 elections, when Arizona voters approved Proposition 200, a ballot initiative aimed at keeping illegal immigrants from voting and obtaining some government services.

The Arizona initiative would ``foment racial discrimination and limit (migrants') access to basic services like health and education,'' Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said in a news statement.

While the Bush administration has had sometimes testy relations with the leaders of Venezuela, Argentina and other Latin nations, Mexico suffered perhaps the greatest disappointment of the first Bush administration, when the Sept. 11 terror attacks put Mexico's hopes of a comprehensive migration accord on the back burner.

Mexico has responded by adopting a more piecemeal approach to defending migrants. While the country once demanded ``the whole enchilada'' in migration reform, Fox said this week ``it's hard to say how quick, how complete, how integral the accord will be.''

full story:
cnn.netscape.cnn.com...

Personally I think that Powell and Ridge should skip these talks altogether. I would rather the U.S. help Mexico get their act together so that their citizens stay there than find a way to compromise in opening our borders.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Want to know what happens to your economy when you extend social services and welfare to non citizens? Look at Germany for an example.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We do need to fix the immigration policy in this country.

In fact, I would say we could scrap most of it, and go back to an Ellis Island approach.

Allow anyone who wants to come to come, but only through a processing station to get IDs, etc.

This would eliminate the slave wages paid to illegal workers.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Allow anyone who wants to come to come, but only through a processing station to get IDs, etc.

We already have more immigrants here than we can count. Until we get them under control and accounted for I do not think we should allow more in.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think countrys should let as many people in as possible, but make the system more financily credible, such as when people come over no luxerys

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm glad Arizona approved that ballot initiative. I hope that Texas, New Mexico, and (we can hope) California does the same -- then, under pressure from those states, it becomes federal law in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
We already have more immigrants here than we can count. Until we get them under control and accounted for I do not think we should allow more in.

Jemison

Of course. We can not enact a plan like this overnight.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Jemison

Whats more......increase the visa requirements 20 fold for countrys with a history of natives that have been proven to be criminals(terrorists).

Shoot, it's time to tighten it up...we need some serious control of our borders.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Does anyone else feel like Mexico spends more energy fighting for their people to migrate to OUR country than fighting to make people better off in their OWN country?

Jemison

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Does anyone else feel like Mexico spends more energy fighting for their people to migrate to OUR country than fighting to make people better off in their OWN country?

Jemison

I guess cuz most of the time they are too busy stuffing thier own pockets with millons of dollars. The government to too currupt and the population is extremly high. The jobs over there are low paying. Here $5.00 can go a long way especially with overtime pay. Until both governments can agree on something, more and more people will cross illegaly. A few people in my family are still here without any legal documents. A few go back for funerals or weddings or some kind of special event and come back. It really goes to show that its still possible to get across even with all the technology being used.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think there is a distinct problem in America when illegals are asking the government to facilitate their illegal activities, whilst Immigration services make it almost impossible for legal immigrants to complete thee process.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Well just to go against the racist, bigoted tide in this thread I might remind you Americans that you are all visitors in Mexico and should be counting your blessings that the Mexicans do not demand return of all the land stolen from them by your ancestors. Mexicans are the Original Americans, and Americans are lucky that Mexicans love them and are willing to do the work no one else wants. Go see the movie A Day Without Mexicans sometime. The Mexicans are the most trustworthy, dependable workers in every basic industry, contrary to the stereotypes perpetrated by racist bigots. Americans are welcome in Mexico; we should extend the same courtesy to come and go to them. Next time you eat, thank the workers who brought that food to your table. Open your hearts and minds and stop living in a world of hate. You will live longer and be happier for it.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm not a bigot.

I'm against my tax money being used for anyone here illegally, Mexicans, Brits, Canadians, Chinese, etc.

There is a big difference between being a bigot and not wanting people sneaking across the border and getting government services for free.
Not to mention the security issue involved in people crossing the border.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
I think there is a distinct problem in America when illegals are asking the government to facilitate their illegal activities, whilst Immigration services make it almost impossible for legal immigrants to complete thee process.

Mexico's govt once again refuses to help with the border problem and continue to ask the US to ease restrictions. Mynaeris, your point is a very good one, there are plenty of immigrants who are trying to go through the proper procedure to become legal residents, this process is a very slow one but these people respect our immigration policies and are willing to wait.

The effort, on the US's part should be to expedite this process and use resources to guarantee that this process is a smooth one.

The laws should be enforced and the US should demand that the Mexican gov't take steps towards curtailing this ongoing problem.

I am not against immigration and do not believe that all illegals crossing are criminals, most are probably trying to feed their families, but there are those dangerous few that can disrupt communities across the nation.

We have given Mexico and inch and once again Mexico is trying to take a mile. The catering to the Mexican gov't must stop, and the Mexican gov't must start taking steps to help their own and become a partner in solving this illegal immigration problem.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Jemison, look up the origin of the word 'Canada'. It is not English. Look up the history of the Central American Republics. It is all Mexico, the whole enchilada, from Newfoundland to the Panama Canal. You are the person residing in someone else's country without permission, and enjoying the fruits of Mexican labor. Mexican workers contribute more in labor and taxes than the wealthy in the United States. Break the back of the Mexican worker and you will drive America into a depression from which it will not recover. The average Mexican worker is a deeply religious person devoted to his family and the welfare of all those around him. The last time I checked, International Law made requisition of land by conquest illegitimate and illegal even in the face of fraudulently negotiated treaties. Visit Cancun, try a Quesadilla with Guacamole, have a Corona and maybe you'll get lucky and marry a pretty Senorita. You will then discover what a treasure America has in its best friend and next door neighbor: Mexico.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Why Dosn't the US just abolish the border.... I think it would help the US more then it will hurt it, Just imagine all these immigrants coming over wanting to work for low wages or w/e. I think it would be best for our economy.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There is a very different view between wanting to close the boarders for our best interest and hating minorities and wanting to keep them down.

Hell, having them be registered (if not a criminal) and scorching companies that hire them would curb the horrible unlawful wages they are being paid even in the US.

I'm not sure what's racist about it. I advocate the same thing on the Canadian side.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by THX 1138
Why Dosn't the US just abolish the border.... I think it would help the US more then it will hurt it, Just imagine all these immigrants coming over wanting to work for low wages or w/e. I think it would be best for our economy.

Well, now, doesn't President Fox think Mexico IS the 51st state? Aren't Mexicans encouraged to come to this country, for jobs, education and health care (when many of our citizens do without??

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Aren't Mexicans encouraged to come to this country, for (snip) health care (when many of our citizens do without??)

As a matter of fact most American workers 'do without healthcare'. That is true. Very, very true. Unlike Mexican workers, who are covered cradle to grave by IMSS, the Mexican National Health Insurance Plan. You can translate the page into English here. IMSS also covers all foreign visitors and residents for a one-time sign-up fee of about $30.00 US. You see, Mexico is a progressive country that believes all humans should be cared for. Imagine that. Mexican workers come here because they love the idea of the American Dream you all promote, not because there is no work in Mexico.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Opening the boarder would be a catastrophy. If the boarder were totaly opened the state would be flooded and we as a nation would go bankrupt much more faster than we already are, as well as it would lower the wages of other immigrant workers.

Mexican workers contribute more in labor and taxes than the wealthy in the United States.

That may be well and true, but this thread addresses illeagal immigration and it's impacts on economy, and illeagal immigrants pay sales tax on the things they buy, and somehow if they own property pay property taxes.

The question is : Do we as a people need to pay for other people to live illeagaly here?
I say no, we may need to be greatful, and they should get paid more, but the basis is they are here and if they want to draw from taxes, they should pay ALL their taxes, which is why legal immigrants should be welcomed on a limited basis.

I have no problem having people come into the country to work, it is a necessity for many co. and states that they do come, but opening the boarder would cause an upsurge of workers, and hence an over suply, leading to competition of immigrant workers for lower class jobs, and driving their paychecks lower than they already are.

The border needs to be controled to help protect where the US dollar is going, and to help protect the low (but not as low as it could be) working wages of immigrant workers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join