It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Urgent* - 'Mysterious Respiratory illness' in the United States

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by otie1

I gotta do it. These damn cards are mocking us every step of the way.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Those that are in the know understand that Vitamin C kills all these viruses.

Bird Flu
Pneumonia
Mono
Upper Respiratory Infections
Flu

It absolutely CRIMINAL that they are not treating these patients with high doses of Vitamin C by IV.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Interesting. We just had a respiratory illness sweep through our house. Kids kicked it easily enough but I was having some pretty extreme coughing fits. Felt like my lungs were collapsing. To get how bad these coughing fits were, I'm allergic to albuterol but have an inhaler of the stuff on hand for "absolute emergencies" (it just makes me epically puke for 24 hours). I came very, very close to using albuterol during two extreme coughing fits. Nasty respiratory crud. Doing fine now, just have a lingering cough but was down for almost a week. In contrast, both myself and my SO had H1N1 for about 9 days in 2009 and were part of the risk group for it due to my having both asthma and a faulty immune system and his having asthma. H1N1 was no joke to us and it permanently damaged both of our lungs. Both of our asthmas worsened. I catch a cold now and I'm guaranteed to be coughing up bloody mucus every time. Comparing what we had last week with H1N1, they were both pretty freaking bad. H1N1 was a whole lot worse in higher fevers and more extreme body pain but this one was maybe a little worse in terms of not being able to freaking breathe. We were both very short of breath and had the lung collapsing feeling coughing fits. Both of our lungs felt like they were on fire and felt so inflamed that our chests hurt from our heartbeats. I've had pleurisy in the past and I'd say it felt similar to wet pleurisy. Nasty stuff.

Our symptoms were: 102 fever, deep body aches, lung and chest pain, shortness of breath.and deep, hacking coughing fits where we coughing up foamy mucus.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
glad you got this thread together, will keep an eye on this for sure. So sorry for the families that lost a loved one.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Novel Coronavirus 2012 almost sounds like it's the human version of FIP that affects our feline friends. Not a good prospect if you come down with it. Also seems to have similarities to viruses carried by bats in Southeast Asia and Australia. (Henipavirus). Some of those viruses may also be more contagious to people if there's an interim carrier, either horses or pigs. (Just going on quick research through Google and Wikipedia.)

Considering what it does, I'm surprised they don't put somebody afflicted on dialysis and pump them up with immune boosters and anti-inflammatory medications. Might give somebody that comes down with it a chance. Then again there are other infections with similar symptoms that likely wouldn't need that level of treatment.

I guess the scary part is that it hasn't been in the news much. Seems more suppressed rather than over-hyped like some previous virus outbreaks. But the cases have been fairly few so far, outbreaks may be more likely from animal-to-human than human-to-human sources.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

FNORD!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt. I need to check on my gram after work because I'm a little worried to be honest.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I wonder if chemtrails could ever be the cause of some mystery respiratory illness

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

We have the same. My 2 year-old daughter first came down with it over a month ago....horrible coughing, fever, weakness. Then my wife got it and it wiped her out (almost took her to the hospital a couple of times). Same symptoms but it eventually became bronchitis. She's been sick for about 3 weeks and she's on her second dose of Augmentin which is stripping her body of energy. I've been spared other than a sore throat and some coughing but the thing is that this illness isn't going away.....all of us have been coughing and have had mild symptoms for the last month.

edit on 23-5-2013 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Wow. This thread is very disconcerting for me. I work in a hospital. I have seen quite a few people not observe proper protocol for even basic isolation patients. Doctors walking into a room with a TB patient, has no N95 on, just gloves. Nurses not using proper hand hygiene. It goes on. I take extra precautions to prevent tracking bacteria such as MRSA into my house. I'll be keeping an eye on incoming patients and an ear open for new and serious lung infections.
Thanks for the heads up, OP!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Here we go then.... the same as the UK, not paying enough attention to who is going in and out of the Country!

I really hope this isn't some easily picked up strain as I'm guessing this could develope into something really bad!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Originally posted by quedup
Scary stuff - I wonder when they released this one!

You're on to it -

S&F
edit on 22-5-2013 by quedup because: (no reason given)

I had the worse case of upper respiratory infection, in my life ,in February, I'm still not right, and I don't get sick period. In fact, I haven't had antibiotics in 23 years, but in February I had to take them.

Diagnosis: Walking pneumonia, but I didn't buy it at all. What I had/still kind of have was much worse.

I looked at the CDC for upper respiratory and saw the color chart that almost dominated the entire US. I called a doctor friend of mine that runs a hospital here in the Detroit area, and this is what he told me. "In January and February of 2013, we have had the an over-whelming amount of respiratory disorders, and it has surpassed the total of the entire year of 2012, just in our first two months."

Something is definitely wrong.

I'm glad this thread was posted. Thanks OP

edit on 23-5-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

I'm in the Detroit area as well and have had an upper respiratory infection for the past few days. My friend had it last week, and then had an eye infection. I think I got it from him, and then both my parents got sick as well. We're all still struggling with it, but it's been relatively mild. Mine started with a headache, chills, fever, sore throat, body aches.

Today, I'd say I'm at 75% except the sore throat is still lingering. The doctor prescribed me the antibiotic azithromycin today as well.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
LIVE news conference in 5 mins on outbreak. www.waff.com will carry this.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I live in Dallas and have been suffering from a strange, yet tolerable respiratory issue for the past month or two. I have been on and off smoking, but I can say there is a "bug" nearly everyone I know has been catching recently.

Obviously I'm not dead, and my condition has improved, but there definitely is something going around. Not sure its as extreme as you might allude to it being though.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1curious1
LIVE news conference in 5 mins on outbreak. www.waff.com will carry this.

What was said during the news conference? I'm not finding anything on your link.

ETA

Found this link. NBC

They're saying all they found was the regular cold and flu virus?
edit on 23-5-2013 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I can almost guarantee there will be many more mutations of current strains of bacteria and viruses, like this case, spreading within the next 20 years, with at least one leading to major causalities.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Update:

Tests: No common germ behind illness cluster

Health officials say lab tests have ruled out any unusual germ as the cause of 9 mysterious illnesses in Alabama.

The tests on 7 of the nine patients found common cold and flu viruses. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official on Thursday said the agency found no sign that the illnesses were caused by any single germ.

Meanwhile, Alabama officials said they had added two more cases to the cluster, which included two earlier deaths.

The cluster was first reported earlier this week. Most of the nine were treated at Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan, but one was seen at a hospital in Crenshaw County.

The nine people suffered a flu-like illness with symptoms like fever, cough and shortness of breath.
Source

Again, very vague.

Another source:

No evidence of new virus in respiratory illness outbreak, says Public Health

The recent outbreak of respiratory illnesses in southeastern Alabama have been caused by familiar viruses and bacteria, and not any new or novel virus, State Public Health Officer Don Williamson said Thursday afternoon.

Ten patients, ranging in age from 24 to 87, have been admitted to hospitals in southeast Alabama earlier this month with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, the cause of which was unknown. Two of the patients, aged 34 and 55, have since died. Seven patients have been tested.

Williamson said three of the patients had bacterial pneumonia, and six tested positive for influenza A, rhinovirus -- the virus that causes the common cold -- or a combination of both.
www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...

No identity yet, although they have 'ruled out' the new coronavirus. - I'm going to continue watching this situation, and will update information as it unfolds. - The "Novel Coronavirus" has been seen co-infected with various common viruses, like the viruses indicated above. - Just throwing it out there. - But they are the professionals, and I will leave it at that.

Thanks again to everyone in the thread. - It is still a mystery, and I would like to know the cause of it... regardless of what it is.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The recent outbreak of respiratory illnesses in southeastern Alabama have been caused by familiar viruses and bacteria, and not any new or novel virus, State Public Health Officer Don Williamson said Thursday afternoon.

I'm sorry, but can't they see that something is very WRONG in their testing methods? Otherwise healthy teens do not go into seizures and die from the cold of flu!!! This isn't rocket science....

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

All of this makes me wonder......
Leukemia and certain other types of cancer are not easily diagnosed and are often misdiagnosed due to the fact that they "disguise" themselves as other types of cancer cells. Wouldn't it be terrible if a virus were to emerge that somehow "disguised" itself as other illnesses in a similar fashion? How would we be able to properly diagnose and treat something that would be initially recognized as various other things? That's an extremely scary thought!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
Those that are in the know understand that Vitamin C kills all these viruses.

Bird Flu
Pneumonia
Mono
Upper Respiratory Infections
Flu

It absolutely CRIMINAL that they are not treating these patients with high doses of Vitamin C by IV.

Robert Cathcart says it does not HAVE to be by IV, but just makes more sense since when you get into the 300,000 mg a day range, it becomes difficult to take that much. But it's not impossible. I've taken 150,000 in one day for flu. The good thing about IV is that it's easier, and you avoid diarrhea and stomach upset. But I agree - it's ridiculous and not so much criminal as STUPID! Some people say "they're hiding the facts of C" which could be true. But I think it could be just this public and medical ignorance of it. People STILL say, "Your body only uses as much vitamin C as it needs and pees out the rest." SO not true yet it's repeated all the time.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join