It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Urgent* - 'Mysterious Respiratory illness' in the United States

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Haha. True.

But this statement from the W.H.O. encourages the surveillance of all acute respiratory infections.

(05/23/13)

Based on the current situation and available information, WHO encourages all Member States to continue their surveillance for severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and to carefully review any unusual patterns.
www.who.int...

This comes after Saudi-Arabia confirms yet another case of MERS-CoV.

I was just thinking -
If this Virus were to spread to China, or to Hong-Kong... it could spell disaster for people all over the world. From what I've learned so far, MERS is capable of causing a lot more damage then SARS. The epidemic could become worse than 02' & 03', probably reaching a pandemic state in a relatively short period of time.

(a few more snippets from the above article.)

WHO has received reports of laboratory-confirmed cases from the following countries in the Middle East: Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). France, Germany, Tunisia and the United Kingdom also reported laboratory-confirmed cases; they were either transferred for care of the disease or returned from Middle East and subsequently became ill. In France, Tunisia and the United Kingdom, there has been limited local transmission among close contacts who had not been to the Middle East but had been in close contact with the laboratory-confirmed or probable cases.

Specimens from patients’ lower respiratory tracts should be obtained for diagnosis where possible. Clinicians are reminded that MERS-CoV infection should be considered even with atypical signs and symptoms, such as diarrhoea, in patients who are immunocompromised.

edit on 23-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is just terrible. But I won't buy into the fear like others. Something may be going on, something may not.

I'll be checking this thread often.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i dont post much but ill add this because its not a normal case for me.

starting 2 weeks ago i came down with a bad allergy attack that turned into a mild cold.
coughing chest and sinus congestion.
odd about this case is that i have never been sick for more than 5 days in my life.
it went from a mild cold to bad cold then full blown deep fluid cough with sinus eye ear and head pressure and a full clogged nose.

monday i buckled down and went to the doctors for the first time in 8 years. i knew it had turned into a full blown respiratory/sinus infection. i was given a breathing treatment rx of antibiotic to take 2 times a day and a albuterol inhailer.

today almost 3 weeks in i am finally starting to feel better less chest congestion and my nose has started to clear, but seeing this thread really had me nervous

i think now in my older age im going to give myself a week to see a doctor when i get sick.
its not like it used to be when i was younger fighting off illness in a couple days.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I'm obligated to post this for everyone who's interested and please always seek medical attention.
And remember this as a stand bye.
I believe in this as a deterrent first. But it also saved my life when I was a kid.
Viruses can't stand Large White Onions.
If your house smells like onions you will only get sick outside your house.

edit on 23-5-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well my gram seems to be on the mend. Whatever it was doesn't appear to be serious any longer. Here's hoping whatever the mysterious virus is that's going around it doesn't prove to be epidemic in nature.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
to all.

Also, please feel free to post ANY information you may have regarding the mystery illness in Texas. Very little information is known about that case, other than the info that we already have.

A quick summary:

Within the time-span of early March and late April. 2 teens have died, following complications attributed to what appears to be a singular 'Unknown Mystery Illness.' - Another teen was last listed in critical condition, as of May 10th, 2013.

The 2 deceased teenagers experienced: ' Flu-like Symptoms, Fever, Cough, Pneumonia, Severe-Respiratory-Infection, and Respiratory Failure; requiring mechanical ventilation. Both teens also experienced Neurological symptoms, such as Severe Seizures. As well as Extreme Swelling of the Brain. '

The 1 teen in critical condition, had all of the same symptoms - with the exception of seizures. He was last known to be experiencing organ-failure, and was placed on dialysis.

main.montgomerycountypolicereporter.com...

Additionally, I want to remind everybody that it is important NOT to give yourself what is referred to as 'MEDICAL-STUDENT-SYNDROME'.
That is when you believe everyone around you, including yourself may be infected with or experiencing the symptoms of the disease you're studying.

^^Very important. Haha.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

CoronaVirus causes respiratory syptoms but I find no source that says it includes brain swelling.

www.cdc.gov...

So sorry, don't think this is an 'Arab' terrorist plot.

The brain swelling sounds more like a meningities which there is an outbreak of according to the CDC but it is related somehow to Steriod Injections.

www.cdc.gov...

I think this may be over-reaction (still serious and scary) but if it were really bad I doubt anything would be released in the media. Especially considering these cases are a bit old (April and May of this year) you would think we'd have heard more - doesn't seem to be spreading.

Thanks for posting - will watch and see.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
The only thing missing is a concrete link to the Middle-East...
But everything else seems to fit the puzzle so nicely... It's very tough to say.

One idea is that, it may in-fact be Coronavirus, but they just can't figure out how... and it's the only thing preventing the release of the Viruses identity.

No, that's not the only thing missing from your theory.

You aren't offering any verifiable facts or sources just hearsay and conjecture.

These are scary cases - but I don't think there is a Middle East connection - I just think you want there to be one.

Thanks again for posting this story - it's a great mystery and I hope we get to hear the end of it. Or get some more experienced and qualified commentary or at least links to such. If these cases are so mysterious to us they certainly be to medical people.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd
So sorry, don't think this is an 'Arab' terrorist plot.

Lol. The virus originates in the Middle-East. I wasn't referring to bio-terrorism.

Especially considering these cases are a bit old (April and May of this year)

We're in the month of May... [snip]

You aren't offering any verifiable facts or sources just hearsay and conjecture.

Elaborate... Your misinterpretations intrigue me.

Thanks again for posting this story - it's a great mystery and I hope we get to hear the end of it. Or get some more experienced and qualified commentary or at least links to such. If these cases are so mysterious to us they certainly be to medical people.

Find it.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by phantomjack

Obama: "Hey, CDC? Need your help."
CDC: "Yes Mr. President"

Bite your tongue. CDC don't play that.

Their credibility to nations for correctly identifying viral or bacteria strains is impeccable. Serious business. The last thing they would ever do there is play politics to cover for some presidential shenanigans.

Just like the justice department, state department, White House and IRS 'don't play that'?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
could it not have evolved or 'jumped'? there just isn't a lot to go on. this could just be the flu or something far more serious

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

GM crops have been linked to respiratory illness and death in animals before.. I cannot find where I read that now..

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I thought i'd throw this information into the pot.........

articles i noticed this morning on BBC webste...

WHO urges information sharing over novel coronaavirus......
www.bbc.co.uk...

Tunisian man dies of new Coronavirus
www.bbc.co.uk...

Towns Ducks die from Viral disease
www.bbc.co.uk...

PDUK

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I've read this weeks ago. And this really has Identical symptoms as the movie contagious. I wonder from this day on several months from now we will watch every detail of that movie?

I really hate undetectable microscopic enemies.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I think the Title of this Thread is a bit over-exagerated.

Only 20 people have died from this Virus since last year!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by toastyr

Renal failure will cause these same symptoms. Loss of appitie, confusion, falling,(and believe me when I say you don't want to fall if you are a big ol' boy like me. It hurts and leave bruises, which you might not recall in the morning.) I would want to see then kidney function numbers, such as a bun and a creatnine. There are other labs I would want to see, but that is where I would start. Of course, with HIPPA laws, it is going to be next to impossible to get that inormation

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491Now they're saying it was just the flu.
*sigh* -

Actually, not all flus are created equal. It's really dependent on the type of influenza virus, the individual, and the access to medical care. Remember that it was a flu that killed somewhere between 50 million to 100 million in 1918. My primary concern in regards to outbreaks of "just the flu" is that many Americans are either uninsured or under-insured in the US. A lot may be working jobs where they cannot afford to call in sick, which increases the risk of epidemic developing here. Over the last couple years, we've seen previously nearly eradicated infectious diseases rear their ugly heads again from Typhoid to Whooping Cough to Rubella for the above reasons. Is not good!

Originally posted by meemawI would like to ask people who have posted that they've been really sick with something similar, if they have had their flu shots, just out of curiosity. A colleague of mine is one of very few who regularly gets his flu shot and he has been hit hard this week with a respiratory bug, 2nd of the season, this one the worse. I don't want to start a flu shot debate, but I think it's a fair question to ask.

I had something very similar, complete with the lingering nature of it (still coughing but not as bad). Definitely nasty stuff. I did not get the flu shot due to medically related issues. From what I understand, the flu shot is based on estimations of which flu will be prevalent in the given year so it isn't a guarantee that, if one gets a flu shot, they will not get the flu. It just means they got a different flu than the one inoculated against. Considering you and your colleague work in the health industry, it doesn't surprise me that he picked up a bug that was different from the flu shot this year as to the hospitals would sick people go. Considering how nasty this bug was, people able to would be coming in for treatment. It was bad.
edit on 24/5/13 by WhiteAlice because: who knows why the quotes failed...i sure as heck don't.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Thankfully this virus has only killed 22 people so far.

The SARS virus originated in China, after it reached Hong-Kong it spread exceptionally quickly. - Once it reached Canada in the west, the W.H.O. issued a Global Alert. If this Virus were to do the same, it would be a very dangerous scenario. So far, in a limited number of cases, MERS-CoV has shown a 50% mortality rate 22/44 - It can be far more dangerous than SARS. - It has the potential to infect a wider range of human-cells.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Fear mongering

1. Yes all epidemics start with a few cases like in The Stand
2. Remember SARS
3. Remember swine flu
4. Remember bird flu
5. Remember companies make big profits off of forcing vaccines on people to protect them from something they aren't going to get.
6. Remeber they force babies to vaccinated for Hep B when they are not at risk.

Superbugs are to pharma as Al Qauda is to the United States of Israel and England's military industrial complex.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

During flu season there appears a white onion popsicle - a peeled white onion stuck on a fork standing up in a vase - in each room of my house. No flu. Been eight years. Works like a charm!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join