It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are These Weird Street Signs Being Installed in Las Vegas?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Now take off the tinfoil hats and go to the nearest FEMA camp where you belong.

I knew there would be at least ONE on the first page!

You do realize you’re on a conspiracy site, right?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
PMSL

"they're energy saving devices!"

"...they also just happen to have microphones and public address systems on them"

..a bit like my swiss army toothpick

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Heres a link to one in action from 2011

patch.com...
edit on 16-5-2013 by drivebricker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
It seems a bit pointless setting up an eavesdropping system and then informing everyone where it is active.

Especially when some tech is easy to defeat and distort.
Audio and video surveillance can both be rendered useless without damaging the units.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by drivebricker
Heres a link to one in action from 2011

patch.com...

Here is another:

After NDAA, Partiot Act, SOPA, ACTA, etc. does anybody NOT think this will be abused?? The IRS and Justice Dept are being used against us!! Why not a street sign??

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It looks like a sign that shows how fast you are driving.

Even with a badge to scare you if you exceed the limit with 1 mph..

Got to love the blinking lights in Vegas

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's a well know fact most terrorist cells prefer to plan their next atrocity whilst hanging around street corners and under lighted street signs.....so i say, Good plan USA...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass
It looks like a sign that shows how fast you are driving.

Even with a badge to scare you if you exceed the limit with 1 mph..

Got to love the blinking lights in Vegas

It’s not just Vegas unfortunately. According to this source, this deployment started in 2012 in other large, high crime cities.

The US is about to have a brand new type of spying lamp posts which can spy on the public by listening into conversations, taking their picture or even giving commands with it’s in-built speaker.
The first of these spying lamp posts will be installed in Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh with more being planned in the near future to erode our civil liberties.
source

It’s strange that we never heard about those installations. I wonder if they actually happened?? Things like this usually get picked up by ATS quickly.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
It's a well know fact most terrorist cells prefer to plan their next atrocity whilst hanging around street corners and under lighted street signs.....so i say, Good plan USA...

What makes you think they're designed to eavesdrop on terrorists?

Who are the terrorists? Do they know they're terrorists yet?

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has defined Constitutional Americans are domestic terrorists. More than 300,000 US citizens have been termed a “non-violent terrorist” that is dangerous because they are “sovereigns, zealots who refuse to recognize government authority in virtually any form.”
source

A lot of people could be put into that category, no?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is the Huff' post story, from 2012.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Kind of looks like a digital detour sign. There are arrows to indicate "go straight" or "turn right", with digital displays for text. Don't know if that's what they are for sure, but that's what I see.

This is kind of what I see as well. It looks like they could light up the middle part to either look like a state highway sign or an interstate sign and then show detours. Pretty much just a dynamic detour (or general information) sign from what I can see.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
now that everyone is in a panic,why don't you do what a normal person would do...google it! These are energy saving devices,they can dim the lights when not needed,brighten them when a car approaches,so on.Yes,they have speakers on them for PSA's,and camera's are available on them.Now take off the tinfoil hats and go to the nearest FEMA camp where you belong.

You’re right - nothing to fear here.

After all, if the signs don’t capture your conversation the drones will!

Besides, the government only has our best interests in mind, right? They are just protecting us. We didn't need that "privacy" thing anyway.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
These appear to be just sign boards. What streets are they going on vs. what is showing on a map for Business route to the Interstate and US Highway designation? Here is a much higher resolution shot of it.

High Res shot of signboard

and it took me a minute to recognize them, but they have both the US highway and Interstate highway symbols overlapped in the board. So it depends on which one lights up for which is obviously being displayed. Are these going up on current numbered routes or perhaps they are planning to add/change some of the designations? It's interesting to see the money spent on this, either way. What is so important about highway routing for sheer designation that it needs a dynamic board they can alter the reading for, by remote? That is odd...since it's one thing that rarely changes?

Event signage maybe...but whose events and why are they being mounted and ..seemingly, paid...by local givernment/highway if it's for events? Oh well... Life's little mysteries. Maybe someone can get a shot of one that it lit up by a display so we can see what the other sections are meant to show? Arrows ..or more?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

These appear to be just sign boards.

Sign boards that can record conversations?

Also odd…if these were merely traffic signs and message boards then why would DHS be involved?

From the OP source:

ABC 7 confirmed that the company was “working with Homeland Security” to implement the high tech network.

Wouldn’t street signs fall under the responsibilities of the Dept of Transportation?? DHS has a very different mission, no?

Mission and Responsibilities

The Department's mission is to ensure a homeland that is safe, secure, and resilient against terrorism and other hazards.
DHS

I’m a little more skeptical about the intended use than some people…maybe my tin foil hat is too tight.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm really nothing to look at and what I usually talk about isn't worth listening to so when one of these signs pops up around here I will have to go there and bore whoever is manning it to death.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
These are going to get so hacked and trigger false alerts and display fake advertisements in no time.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh Fark! How far is that from
"halt! you are walking on the grass!
Any further trespass will be met with lethal force!
You have three seconds to retreat, or you will be shot."

Just like the "unarmed drones they are flying overhead...how easy is it to bolt a hellfire to a predator?
Comon people now!...

YOU are one of the "other hazards"that DHS is keeping the "homeland" safe from.

edit on 16-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
These appear to be just sign boards. What streets are they going on vs. what is showing on a map for Business route to the Interstate and US Highway designation? Here is a much higher resolution shot of it.

High Res shot of signboard

and it took me a minute to recognize them, but they have both the US highway and Interstate highway symbols overlapped in the board. So it depends on which one lights up for which is obviously being displayed. Are these going up on current numbered routes or perhaps they are planning to add/change some of the designations? It's interesting to see the money spent on this, either way. What is so important about highway routing for sheer designation that it needs a dynamic board they can alter the reading for, by remote? That is odd...since it's one thing that rarely changes?

Event signage maybe...but whose events and why are they being mounted and ..seemingly, paid...by local givernment/highway if it's for events? Oh well... Life's little mysteries. Maybe someone can get a shot of one that it lit up by a display so we can see what the other sections are meant to show? Arrows ..or more?

They are messy burgers whomever's erecting them, they didn't clean the glue gunge from where the labels were, come to think of it, the guy who stuck the labels on has a crooked eye in his head.

I suppose it goes without saying that there would be a fine for taking potshots at them.

I reckon they would be a useful item if they are manned from somewhere, like for closing a street temporarily if there was a sinkhole or a shooting going on...stuff like that!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm kinda missing the connection on that. I hunted around a lot for specifics on that make and model of digital sign and so far, nothing definitive. The stories that do connect it to the street light program as well as DHS, seem to link back to Infowars/Alex Jones and Paul Watson specifically and exclusively? I couldn't find a story out there connecting the display boards to the light post issue which didn't eventually track back to their first one?

If we're talking about the light post program then that is one thing. If we're talking about the rectangular digital display signs the OP has pictured, it appears to be unrelated and something different ...unless other connections are found? The Jones piece is speculation on what almost reads like wishful thinking in tone?

Oh well... Just trying to help in identifying the specific grey sign board/boxes.. I wasn't trying to touch the rest, as it gets into at least a half dozen different but loosely related programs all over the nation. (Gunshot triangulation is another side of the light post stuff)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I reckon they would be a useful item if they are manned from somewhere, like for closing a street temporarily if there was a sinkhole or a shooting going on...stuff like that!

What these most remind me of are the digital speed limit signs I first saw years ago on I-75 in Tennessee, north of Chattanooga for changing limits in bad weather. Then they started appearing all over and even across city streets in some Southern California cities. These are set up wrong for speed limit display though...and the outline of the US/Interstate Highway symbols kinda throws me, given the changing nature of the boards?

I'm really looking forward to hearing what these are. Maybe someone ought to just call Las Vegas city planning or whatever it would be, and ask? It's amazing how much they'll share when someone simply calls to ask at times?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join