It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy using disabled guides to skip lines at Disney World?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well this is just wrong in so many ways but....

If I were disabled and could make a thousand dollars a day by going to Disneyland
(for free), then get to ride all the rides without having to wait in line to top it all off...??

Sounds to good to be true....I'd have to start looking for the downside, thinking there must be
some conspiracy angle involved

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

"This is a benefit of being in the 1 percent!"

Hmm...if they are so 1 percent-erific...what's the issue then about shelling out the extra dough for the Disney VIP pass?

Wouldn't THAT, be a true benefit of being a 1 percent-er...being able to shell out the dough for the Disney VIP Pass?

There is an Urban-esque term for this...

Broke Baller

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Oh the other thing people aren't getting about this is its a broker company that gets the money, they in turn higher the disabled for the job, I some how doubt the disabled person is getting the 1000k.

The company also probably gets tax breaks for higher ink disabled people, yeah I guess capitalism wins again...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Disabled people who might otherwise not be able to find a job have found a way to make a paycheck without having to rely on the government to support them

I really doubt they are accepting a check for this "service". I know I would demand cash, and it would not be reported as taxable income. This is not comparable to being employed.

My mother was a paralegal, but she developed an eye condition that eventually left her nearly blind and unable to perform her job. She could have collected disability forever, but she took advantage of free site-impaired vocational training and switched to a job that she was able to perform with her disability. It cost her nothing but time away from home, and she actually made slightly more money with better benefits at the new job.

There are options available for many impaired people if they are willing to do the work. The ones who are unwilling to at least give it a try are stealing from the ones who truly have no options. I doubt the people in this article are trying very hard to find legit work. At best, they are supplementing their regular income in a very dishonest way.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Oh the other thing people aren't getting about this is its a broker company that gets the money, they in turn higher the disabled for the job, I some how doubt the disabled person is getting the 1000k.

The company also probably gets tax breaks for higher ink disabled people, yeah I guess capitalism wins again...

You had to take the wind out of my sails, didn't you? Nah, I thought of that too.............sigh.....

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My other half has disabilities that are growing over time from degenerative nerve and muscle damage from Diabetes. It's not something a person can 'make do with', and so, we had the full package with motorized cart we rented outside Disney for the Disneyworld trip some time ago.

I can say we used the option they give to the disabled person and their family. I can also say, as someone with no disability, I was intensely uncomfortable by joining her in the front of the line. She earned/required it. I didn't. She needed help, so it made my presence logical....but no less comfortable for walking right past a hundred or more people, waiting for long periods.

The idea that people hire the handicapped to do this JUST to jump lines, is infuriating. Disney could surely put an end to this by simply tracking parties between those who get those disabled passes and those they are traveling with. If the two sets of names change more than a couple times, I'd call it a clue to fraud of their system.

We absolutely saw people where they ran with the Maximum number Disney would allow to accompany a disabled person and made as big a mess of people in that 'line', as existed back in the MAIN line at times. I think they ought to allow the disabled person to JOIN the others at the front, after the others have waiting like everyone else. That would be a fair way of handling it. No reason everyone in a family out to benefit from the legitimate need of one.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Oh please! You guys are just jealous you didn't think of this in the first place. I bet if you became wealthy, you'd be looking for these companies to give you a Tour Guide on a Wheelchair.

What does the handicap community feel about this? Would you take this Tour Guide on a Wheelchair job for $1000 per day?... Actually, its probably $500 per day after you take out the company's operating costs. Still, that's a damn good salary. I'm sure some people wouldn't have a problem with this type of job. While others rather have a job that doesn't highlight their handicap.

What are your views of Japanese Corporations hiring caucasian men as VPs? Those caucasian VPs only job was to sit on company meetings as a show of prestige with whoever the company was dealing with. Those VPs were given 6-digit salaries and many more perks.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Slugworth

I get what you are saying but such options aren't always available, or the waiting lists for retraining or job placement assistance can be extremely long- sometimes years of waiting. I don't know what the situation in Florida is in that area. I know a married couple (both wheelchair bound) who were on disability but scrimped and saved for several years and used the money to start their own business and have received no assistance or disability payments in decades. They would gladly have worked for someone else, anyone else really, but as politically correct as we'd all like to think the world is the fact remains that a vast amount of companies don't hire physically disabled folks. Either they don't want the added insurance costs, don't want to shell out the money to make their place of business handicapped accessible, or they're ignorant a$$es who mistakenly think that just because people are physically disabled they aren't tip-top mentally. If you really think about it with so many people nowadays either unemployed or under employed the physically disabled are at a serious disadvantage in the job market- more so now than ever before!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I like it.

Put the handicapped to work.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It's wrong but it's so much money.
I'm disabled and if you get 6 people, best if it's 6 unrelated people then get up to 6 different people per ride I can walk around and get paid anywhere from 50-200 dollars per ride. At end of day I've made a nice bit of money to pay my medical bills, it usually takes up to 3 years for medicare to get started paying out. So it's crappy, but it works.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
..why don't these rich clowns just chip-in and buy neverland ranch already?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't believe that they do it because they think they're "above everyone else". I think they do it because they found a flaw in that system that was ripe for exploitation.

Hate the game - not the players, right?

I'm not defending their actions. I just see the mentality first-hand with a friend of mine. He's able to qualify for certain "entitlements" and "benefits" due to him being overly-obese (totally his fault too). He doesn't do it because he thinks he's entitled to. He does it because he CAN

-handicapped parking
-brings pets on-board a flight (not in cargo) because they're "service animals". They're chiguaguas...
-extra-large rooms on cruises/hotels

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
why are you blaming the people who can afford to use this service, surly its the people who came up with the idea to become wealthy from it that are the scum here, although hiring disabled people who may find it hard to get a job, spending all day at disney world on rides and getting paid for it - im actually jelous.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
The last time I went to Disney we took my mother in law. She has an open wound on her leg and circulation issues.
So she couldn't walk for very long. We rented a wheelchair for her.
We bypassed all the lines for all the rides we went on.
I can certainly see why people would want to do this and pay well to do it.

But in the case of the rich, why not just rent the wheelchair instead of pretending to be with someone who's disabled?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

awwww
so sad

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Right. We should definately revive freak shows. The 'disabled person' goes to the highest bidder. Sounds lovely.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I don't get the people in this thread that are angry at the wealthy people...the disabled people that are offering this as a service are doing it willingly and are getting paid very nicely for it.

The only person who is getting screwed on this is Disney because the wealthy are using this cheaper option instead of Disney's VIP guide. And I can't really feel sorry for Disney missing out on a little bit of money.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Out of all of the topics being discussed lately,
I have to say,
this and the Abercrombie talk
is at the bottom of my 'things to care about' list.

So what if rich people found a loophole in the system? (btw, you have no idea what these people did to earn their money, not all rich people are automatically horrible people.)
Obviously the handicapped tour guides do not have an issue with getting paid obscene amounts of money to hang out and ride rides at Disney all day.
Maybe these horrible rich people even end up paying more in tips, maybe they buy gifts, maybe they include the tour guide in their fun and every person involved has a grand old time? Maybe this disabled person had yet to find another way of making enough money to pay for all of their expenses and they are extremely grateful for this opportunity?

Seriously, people.
You've got to pick your battles.
You can't go running around getting pissed off at EVERYTHING that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

The real problem with the world
is not with what individual people are doing with their lives and money
but rather how you (we) react to everything.
edit on 16-5-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
why are you blaming the people who can afford to use this service, surly its the people who came up with the idea to become wealthy from it that are the scum here, although hiring disabled people who may find it hard to get a job, spending all day at disney world on rides and getting paid for it - im actually jelous.

I think the problem I see is that this is a service when a person in the party at Disney together is legitimately handicapped and cannot go through the line que, back and forth a dozen or more times, like every able bodied person.

It stops being a service and becomes outright fraud against everyone ELSE who is waiting in line, when it's not being used for a disabled guest or family member ...but a "cheat mode" to get one over on everyone else.

The whole purpose of the program is defeated and made worthless when the area for the disabled is so cluttered by maximum size groups, raping the system for every drop of benefit they can pump it for, that it's basically as bad there as being out in line would have been for those it's all designed to help.

I'm surprised anyone see's anything right about this. It's like using the handicapped parking fraudulently. Plenty of people do, but it's no more right because of that. Fraud is Fraud...and the moral exceptions people work so hard to find for reasons fraud isn't wrong ....are staggering at times.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join