It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Nohmul Pyramid In Belize Destroyed By Bulldozer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Mayan Nohmul Pyramid In Belize Destroyed By Bulldozer

www.huffingtonpost.com

A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with backhoes and bulldozers to extract crushed rock for a road-building project, authorities announced on Monday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm actually quite surprised I didn't see this posted yet. I am posting simply to have a place to vent.

I am utterly sickened by this behavior and its far from the first time. I understand that Belize is a small country of only 350,000 people. I also understand that they don't have a very strong cultural center, at least that's my understand. I also understand that this pyramid was on private property but I also know it is still illegal to destroy any pre-hispanic structure.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one will be boycotting Belize until the government holds those responsible for this crime. I will not support Belize in any way. And I know many of you may be thinking, "ok, so what? how will that hurt Belize?" Well I work in travel for starters and I hope other will follow suit. Hopefully this will force the hand of Belize into actually taking action.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wanted to add a pic.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was in Belize in 2009 and toured one of the pyramid sites. It was a very cool place to visit, how horrible that someone wrecked a similar site (the one I went to was in a national park, so not the same one referenced here.)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

What's worse, it was for road filler. *sigh* Ubber Laziness! No respect, consideration or value to those who came before. Sad, really.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm really pissed off at this, what can we do apart from reading? is there any group or organization out there that is doing something about this so we can donate to or support?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
erm...

hmmm

i dont know what to say... but let me try...

short sighted, pompous, smug, arrogant morons

culture is being corrupted by the stateless pirate privatisers

i said my piece

peace

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jumadax
I'm really pissed off at this, what can we do apart from reading? is there any group or organization out there that is doing something about this so we can donate to or support?

Well I think awareness is a major key to this. I also think boycotting can have a direct impact by putting pressure on the government to prosecute. Make an example out of them!

At the end of the day Belize is a tourist hot spot so it is critically important for them to receive tourism revenues. .

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
How cool, and lucky would it be to have ancient Maya temples on your private property

The owner should be prosecuted and sent to jail.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
No jew behind the bulldozer this time, so this story won't get much attention.

I'd be interested to know who owns the land and the retards who actually did it, irrespective of their lineage.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What a callous and selfish act.
Most countries take great care to preserve their historical monuments.
Congratulations to the construction company. They just destroyed a piece of their own country's heritage.

Hopefully, the government and the concerned authorities would deal with them seriously.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
And they want me to invest my money into their "tax haven"

Needless crime against all mankind.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here's another pic to show the size of the pyramid.
I bet the land owner was hoping for Maya treasure as a bonus

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

I couldn't flame more if I was wrapped in a rainbow flag rocking a candy bracelet! That is just tragic beyond words.

For the owner, if you have something like this on your property and its supposed to be illegal to destroy it. Why not just support a project to bring awareness and make money from that. But the issue seems more like ignorance than anything else. I mean for road fill??

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

excuse me but that is not a pyramid.
it is only a pyramid to a hyperactive
progressively hysterical skewed paradigm.

it is a pile of dirt with a small hole in one end.
the owner probably made a lot of money
selling the debris as road fill.

someone is not telling the truth here.
it is not a pyramid. it probably is spoiling
the owners view of the ocean as well.

looks like monkeys lived in that hole too.

if you guys are so appalled then dig a
similar hole and go live in it.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

how much money haave you sent to
Belieze to preserve their cultural heritage.

it is called putting your money where your mouth is.

that is what i thought $00.00. am I correct.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

and furthermore in the article a man is quoted as saying that one myan ruin is destroyed every day. if this has been going on for ten years that means that 3650 have been destroyed. to me if that is true and not an exaggeration(LIE) then sounds like a lot of them need destroyed. plus the heavy equipment operators are being employed, the highway workers are earning a wage, the landowner is making money, the cars can now travel on the new road so people will not have to walk. look at the bright side and wipe the crocodile tears from your collective eyes.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It is now being reported that the company responsible is D-Mar Construction, a company owned by the UDP politician Denny Grijalva. So a politician is profiting from the destruction of his own countries heritage.
Well at least we know where to send the hate mail

www.ctv3belizenews.com...
edit on 13-5-2013 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join