It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Nohmul Pyramid In Belize Destroyed By Bulldozer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I don't care if it gets torn down. If the structure is on private land the owner can do as he/she wants with it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Spoken like a true christian!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I doubt the Mayan's really cared much about the thousand years old forest they cleared to put the pyramid there. I don't have an issue with this. The planet has a finite amount of space on it, just like your home we can't keep everything. It is a structure that is unused and it's purpose long forgotten. Using the logic rampant in this thread we should just keep every abandoned building because people built them.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Exactly how much space do you need? I am quite sure there is more than enough even for you!
The point is that this was an ancient Mayan Temple which hadn't been completely excavated/explored yet, but yeah, it was Mayan, they destroyed a forest, lets destroy their temple! Let's bulldoze the Pyramids in Egypt, they take up so much space, who needs them?

I remember reading in a previous thread on overpopulation that the entire population of the world would fit into an area the size of Texas (I think it was) and we would each still have space to spare! I don't know if that is true or not but I am sure that someone will come along a correct me! Not that I would like to live like that but just saying!
edit on 14/5/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3

Spoken like a true christian!

What does religion have to do with it?

Actually, spoken by someone who values liberty and private property rights.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Exactly how much space do you need? I am quite sure there is more than enough even for you!
The point is that this was an ancient Mayan Temple which hadn't been completely excavated/explored yet, but yeah, it was Mayan, they destroyed a forest, lets destroy their temple! Let's bulldoze the Pyramids in Egypt, they take up so much space, who needs them?

I remember reading in a previous thread on overpopulation that the entire population of the world would fit into an area the size of Texas (I think it was) and we would each still have space to spare! I don't know if that is true or not but I am sure that someone will come along a correct me! Not that I would like to live like that but just saying!
edit on 14/5/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

Actually, Texas is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaàaaay too big. The entire population of the Earth could stand shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville County Florida with room to spare.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Never having been to Texas or Jacksonville this is way too difficult for me to even attempt to visualise, but then I can't imagine the thought of seven billion people standing shoulder to shoulder! It is a very sobering thought though!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
You know, a lot of people like all things Mayan, including the sites where they lived or practiced worship etc. Personally I don't much give a damn about the race of cannibals.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

The debate is still on going as to wether the Maya were cannibals-the Aztecs were,although even they didn't do it as a daily thing like many believe.The spanish were known to exagerate on such matters,as it suited their aganda at the time.

Damn shame this structure was knocked down though-could have been a good money maker for the landowner if he advertised it for tourists maybe...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am not so surprised by this. This is what capitalism does. It only functions to turn a profit for the benefit of the few. It will destroy culture, history and even society in order to produce profit.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

Gotta say, when I seen this story, it made me sick. The total lack of respect for history is just stunning.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Quite amazing that they can get away with this. And not even for a worthwhile reason - "We needed filler.. "

Amazing insanity.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
These people need to be extremely careful. Sites like this contain high energy. Distubing or destroying a place like this could be disasterous. Who knows what kinds of spirits dwell in these places? They are messing with things far above there kin.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
thats a shame, we dont know what is in there, we should ecsavate them first!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Nohmul (Great Mound) Remember:

www.mayastudies.com...

www.northernbelize.com...

www.ferien.li...

Rated #4 in the Top 10 sites to see in Belize
caribbeantl.com...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I understand the rage in this thread about things like this getting destroyed.

Thing is, it happens everywhere, especially in the USA among all places. It starts with a lot of names and terms like the concept of land ownership, development, civilization, progress etc. etc.

In the USA for example, how many old structures were recycles, destroyed, etc. because of it being on private land (instead of being respected as land to take care of).

Land is raped around the world to create roads to create more civilizations, to quickly transport resources to build more civilizations and take more resources from the Earth etc.

Until nothing is left... Basically, what you're seeing happening to Belize has already happened to most of the 1st world a long time ago and keeps happening again. The world is getting smaller, and the Earth has less space, less resources, and more people. When is the tipping point?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jumadax
I'm really pissed off at this, what can we do apart from reading? is there any group or organization out there that is doing something about this so we can donate to or support?

Survival International
www.survivalinternational.org...

How bone-headed were those digger drivers? Oh we need road-filler, look there's a structure over there - no-one seems to be living in in it, lets bulldoze it.

It happens everywhere - friends were working in Malaysia one time, when all of a sudden their water bill rocketed (every home had a water meter). This was bizarre, we had no leaks in the house. Then one day, they found half dried footsteps going from the outside tap. Then it wasn't long before they noticed construction workers on a site across the road. Every now and again, they would be seen to be eying up our house for one reason or another. Then it clicked into place - the little *****'s had budgeted for water in the construction project, but figured that if they used someone else's supply, they could pocket the money for themselves. They soon put a stop to that and put a padlocked box around the tap, as well as a new padlocked security gate. The water bill dropped down to normal.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Belize has a problem. Their ancestral spirits will be furious and take it out on all those who travel those roads. That is a big void they will have to account for in big judgments. That pyramid was an old landmark, and should not have been disturbed.

So after mankind develops the hovercar and doesn't need roads anymore, Belize will have a bunch of roads and no awesome tourist attractions. All in time, but Belize has lost its culture.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

Please, it was an ill informed minister hopeful who allowed his foreman to destroy the pyramid. The goal was to destroy and use the rocks to fill the roads.

99% of the people in Belize support and honor these great pyramids and structures. It is only greedy government ministers and politicians who rape and pillage the land and pocket money needed to help construct roads, pathways and important landmarks.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by LeLeu

excuse me but that is not a pyramid.
At the very least it's an archaeological site. Don't you see the bricks? You are trying to get people mad, right? Epic losing.

it is only a pyramid to a hyperactive
progressively hysterical skewed paradigm.
Or maybe to the people who built it?

it is a pile of dirt with a small hole in one end.
And a very thick casing of bricks or dressed stones.

the owner probably made a lot of money
selling the debris as road fill.
You don't know South America. Those who have land, don't need to sell fill to get money. They are the privileged class, just like they are trying to arrange it in the rest of the world.

someone is not telling the truth here.
Look in the mirror

it is not a pyramid. it probably is spoiling
the owners view of the ocean as well.
Probably? how would you know about probabilities, and how do you weigh the human heritage of archaeological finds against some selfish prick's "view of the ocean"? Let him build on a hill!

looks like monkeys lived in that hole too.
I can imagine another hole that has monkeys in it.

if you guys are so appalled then dig a
similar hole and go live in it.
That is a disgusting attitude.

edit on 14-5-2013 by seamus because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2013 by seamus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join