It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which animals are you scared of-and why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

Was the wasp in your shirt this one:

In South Africa we get mostly these two types:the little brown one-the meanest,and the other type,yellow+black that likes to float through our house-they even build nests in secluded corners,behind furniture,etc-like i said,they mostly prey on spiders,and the enemy of my enemy is my friend
so they're always very welcome in my home

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Hi rival,that's ok,i know you get wonderful individual pitbulls,but as a breed,i too i am VERY wary of them indeed.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Duckling

That's something i honestly can not relate to,im psychotically crazy about cats-i love,admire and adore them,to me they are so wonderful and beautiful and magnificent its surreal
But everyone has their dislikes-for instance,most people find chimps adorable-but i can not Stand them,or Any primate except gorillas and lemurs-different strokes
I think of them as filthy little things,haemorrhaging messy death in a furry little jacket

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

Thank you unb3k44n7,i enjoyed reading that
I love and adore bees though,i have very tender feelings for them,i think they're darling little things!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Really?????

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Hi xDeadcowx here in South Africa you get a large ant thats nicknamed a Bal-byter- it translates as Testicle-biter.Just thought you might like to know

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Yes i've heard of those,a big mystery.I wonder what the true story is,behind that phenomenon?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Wow! That is the most beautiful spider I have ever seen. I would keep him too!
I get big brown wolf spiders that look like that, only brown, in my greenhouse every summer. They do a pretty good job helping me out with other insects. I have always liked spiders for some reason.

This may sound odd, but moose are the animal that I am most afraid of, and I have at least a half a dozen of them that frequent my yard. When I was a teenager, I was walking down the street to catch my bus when I heard a snort and a stomp, I looked up in time to see mama headed my way. I was right in front of a friends house and turned in that direction, but baby was right there. In my early morning stupor I made a cardinal mistake of walking between mama and baby. She charged and I ran as fast as I have ever run in my life! I made it about a half a block when my friend's mom drove around the corner to take her son to the bus. They slammed on their brakes and threw the door open for me. They saved my life that morning, I am sure of it.
That same cow moose had a vendetta against me after that. I would have to sneak through the woods to get back and forth to my bus stop just to avoid her. She would actually wait on the road for me.

Bears scare me a bit too, more now that I have little ones that are prey sized. Honestly though, I have always been able to scare them off or leave the vicinity, they never made it personal like that moose did.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
reply to post by littled16

Hiii littled-NOT fun,i can imagine!!! it must have been helluva sore-were you sick for a while arter that? they look very poisonous.

The thing I remember the most was a wicked burning sensation and being extremely nauseous. I was WAY out in the woods when I got bit and before making it home I was so weak and sick feeling that my friend that was with me was almost carrying me. My mother took me straight to the hospital where they gave me what seemed like a thousand shots of Lord knows what, but one of the shots knocked me out cold. They kept me overnight and let me go home the next day- and it was sore as heck for a few days after!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Snakes. I hate them. I was freaked out holding one of those little corn snakes at Petco. I'm kind of a candy ass about bees/wasps (especially wasps). I also can't stand scorpions, my buddy tried to get me to hold his and just about shot the thing. That's about it. Oh, this one is embarrassing. Dragonflies. I SWEAR one stung me when I was little. I don't think I'm ever telling anyone that dragonflies scare me IRL.

I feel like such a pansy right now. :/

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Roaches dont worry me at all. They interest me because of thier strength and because they survive all manner of things that by rights ought to kill them.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Why i am Very wary of bats..
edit on 11-5-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Oh woodsmon,i'm sorry i know it's propably not one bit funny for you,and please forgive me-but i was howling with laughter at the noose episode-seriously,please don't be offended-its easy for me to laugh sitting safely in front of my pc in Africa-where you don't get moose.It must be quite sinister,in a way,to see that same moose waiting for you-she has a grudge against you now.Sorry again that i found it so funny-if it was me it happened to,i may well be freaked out.

Yes,that blue tarantula is magnificent-one of the most beautiful living creatures i've ever seen-i never though i would say that about a spider-but those ones are like a work of art-just stunning.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Hi littled,good thing you had a friend with you-in your weakened state it may have taken you a lot longer to get home-and time is of the essence in the case of a bite by a poisonous snake.I'm very glad you made it and came through ok

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I like the feel of snakes(non-poisonous of course) their skins feel great,so cool and dry.When i lived in a big city in my country,in the suburb i lived there was a petshop,and the owner let me handle snakes.When finances permit,i will get one as a pet.

Living in the Bush in Africa,i've had to kill quite a few poisonous snakes,because they came into my washroom,adjacent to my kitchen,and although i HATE killing animals,even snakes,i have children,and my dogs sleep in there too.Besides,there's no door between the washroom and my kitchen,so the snake could get into the rest of the house easily-it's just a fortunate thing i spotted them in the first room each time.

The 1st was a Mozambican spitting cobra-but i did,nt know this-i just saw the tail-section sliding under my washing-machine,so i used my sjambok to agitate it into coming out.I was ready with my can of Raid-so as it turned to face me,i let rip with a stream of Raid-and used up about the whole can on the snake-i marinaded it in Raid.This disorientated it,and then my husband bashed it's head in with the sjambok.My neighbour identified it as a spitting cobra-i was very lucky-my stream of Raid was going towards it,a millisecond before the snake's spitting-venom reached me,i think.Even after being disabled by all the Raid,it still attempted to spit at me,but it reached me at waist-heighth.These spitting cobras instinctively aim at the eyes,and they never miss,unless,in this case,they're disorientated or disabled.

I had to kill a puff-adder in my washroom too,and late last year a black mamba.Luckily the mamba was still outside the house-i get chills thinking how it could easily have slithered in unnoticed!
Btw i don't think you're a pansy for being afraid of dragonflies-we all have out things that scare us-with my oldest daughter,it's stick-insects.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I cant get your first picture so Im not sure but this is the one

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

No worries! I am not in the least bit offended. It was probably hilarious to see, if anyone else saw me. She taught me a valuable lesson that day, always be aware of your surroundings! Luckily I now live near a town about 4 hours away from my vindictive mama moose.☺My current population sees my yard as a food source and a safe haven, ironically enough. Most of them have been born since I lived in this house, so they are much friendlier. The kids and dog are locked up tight when they are visiting though. It is kind of funny that the one animal that has really threatened my life also have become such a huge part of it.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

Yes that thing just looks mean! it looks like a sort of hornet.The ones we get here are different,i've not seen one like the one in the pic you posted.Look what the Japanese have to put up with:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Oh good,i could'nt help picturing that moose,waiting for you:-D Here we just have a clan of apes,somedays they're running around on my roof,and in the tree next to my bedroom window,with them looking down at me,looking up at them,its fun in a way,but i dislike primates in general,because they carry disease,and aside from that,i just don't like them.The l'il babes are cute though.Sometimes we watch them,going to and fro on the fence of the game reserve next to my yard,and it's nice to see the babes hanging underneath the mom-apes.There's about 30-4o of them.And we have zebras coming by close to the fence sometimes-i adore Z's-funkiest looking animals ever!
i love your avatar btw.

Zebras are not to be underestimated though-they are not as defenceless to predators as people think.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join