It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first plastic gun, made with 3D printer, successfully fired in the United States

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy

Originally posted by SpaDe_
reply to post by fairguy

If I was going to go Die Hard style I would want more than one shot, and I would also want the ability to reload and continue shooting.

Exactly... Just remember that when things go wrong for John McClane in the middle of a shootout the director shouts CUT!

When things go wrong for SpaDe_ in the middle of a shootout, SpaDe_ better pray that trained officer aiming at him is a poor shot...

Pretty good chance of that. Just ask those 2 chicks that were mistaken for Dorner...

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

For those who say gun control wont work maybe they should look at Australia. They used to have regular mass shootings until they introduced strict gun control 17 years ago..since then there hasnt been a single mass shooting...

Yeah, but look at the UK, who have no guns but have ridiculous amounts of stabbings and knife violence. Guns are not the cause or root of the problem.

That is a given.

They do facilitate violence. But they are not the cause. It's a complicated issue.

link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Yay he made the perfect gun for terrorists and criminals where they dont have to go through background checks to get them and it cant be detected by metal detectors. Nice and easy to get into airports. Not to mention can be made by people of any age, smuggled into schools easily.

What an unbelievably stupid thing to do

edit on 6-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

I am not going to say that it is a great thing, someone would have done it sooner or later though. Alfred Nobel thought his invention of dynamite was a good thing. It was in a way, it saved a lot of lives in the field of mining, but a lot of people were blown up intentionally by dynamite also.

But it still shoots metallic cartridges that would show up with a metal detector or an x-ray machine.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

For those who say gun control wont work maybe they should look at Australia. They used to have regular mass shootings until they introduced strict gun control 17 years ago..since then there hasnt been a single mass shooting...

Im not that anti-gun but the hypothetical arguments the pro gun people are coming out with are just incorrect based on the real life Australian evidence.

Woopty doo..

For those that bring up Australia as a good example of gun control success, please remember that Australia is an island. This has alot to do with how easy it is to keep something out of your country...

link   

Originally posted by macman

Oh....so violent crime has gone down?

Death by gun related injury is the second highest cause of death for young people in the US..whats the death by violent crime position in the mortality tables Australia?

link   

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

That was not my question. Please, instead of trying to Alinksy your way out of it, just answer the question.

Has violent crime gone down since then?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
God help us all...
The twilight of mankind is truly upon us.

This is worse than when we invented the atom bomb.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Violent crime is not the issue here..its guns. Death by guns and the prevention of.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

But it still shoots metallic cartridges that would show up with a metal detector or an x-ray machine.

I believe in the video they were shooting cartridges made from plastic. The only part that needs to be metail is the firing pin, and the primer on the cartridge. I might be wrong. But it could be done this way regardless.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Sorry.
I was going by the posted photo of the Liberator with a standard metallic .380 FMJ round lying next to it.
I admit to not watching the vid with the sound on... I am at work.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Violent crime is not the issue here..its guns. Death by guns and the prevention of.

So if you remove guns from the issue, and violent crimes and homicides remain the same, then what is the point of removing guns to begin with? It accomplishes nothing if nothing is changed for the better, other than to make a small group of people that dislike firearms happy.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Violent crime is not the issue here.

I am sure that the next 70 year old grandmother raped and beaten in Australia will love you for that.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GMan420

Yes i agree , keeping things out of countries that are islands is somewhat easier. But just because something is difficult doesnt mean we should give up trying. Like the example in the video..drugs are still illegal.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

in the op's article it is an almost entirely plastic gun(16th part is the firing pin and it and only it and would assume the ammo is metal) ironic that they named it after the pistol air dropped in ww2 to various resistance fighters which was a tiny .45 acp designed to help a resistance fighter kill some one(German solider usually)so they could take their weapons and get effectively armed compared to the little gun.

now if they can print plastic shells(obiously would need a new type of primer)with plastic bullets and find a way to either use a carbon fiber or other material other then metal as the firing pin they could have a gun that you coul walk on a damn plane with and that is of some concern,but as the fact that when they tried to test a 5.7 projectile the gun blew up i could assume that it needs to only fire small calibers like .38 or the .380 auto they tested it with in the video.

only down side other then the metal detector issue i could see happening is people using them like the french resistance did pop one person and literally melt the gun to get rid of the evidence,heck i would not be surprised to find the cia or simaler agencies interested in such weapons as they always like having un traceable weapons like the deer gun for example
en.wikipedia.org...

One production run of 1,000 Deer guns was made in 1964 as an initial run, with the final cost projected as US$3.95 per gun. Rather than the Vietnam war being a small clandestine war, it became a full scale war where the Deer gun would not be as useful as foreseen. Some Deer guns were evaluated in Vietnam, but the fate of the rest is unknown. Some sources have stated that all were destroyed, but some have been discovered on occasion.

en.wikipedia.org... the original liberator

en.wikipedia.org... info on comparable "disposable" weapons which is basicly what i view these as. a weapon of last resort designed to help a partisan/insurgent/resistance fighter gain acces to better weapons by using a hard to trace and hard to detect throw away piece

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

reply to post by macman

So if you remove guns from the issue, and violent crimes and homicides remain the same, then what is the point of removing guns to begin with? It accomplishes nothing if nothing is changed for the better, other than to make a small group of people that dislike firearms happy.

Well in Australia it hasn't achieved nothing. Its completely stopped the regular mass killings by guns. Also violent crime is not the second most killer of young people like gun related injury is the US.

Violent crime although still terrible is not as bad as being shot and killed.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

as far as making your own guns i think its legal as long as its not a foreign design that is regulated by federal law(like compliance for ak-47's having to have a set amount of usa parts or something)but if you make your own guns you can not sell them and while not required i think it would need to be serialized if you intended to sell it to the general public,and that would require some kind of license i believe

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Violent crime is not the issue here.

I am sure that the next 70 year old grandmother raped and beaten in Australia will love you for that.

But the next 70 year old grandmother raped and beaten in Australia who wasnt then shot in the head just might.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Until someone hacks the source file and creates a small imperfection in the design that causes it to injure or kill the operator.

Would be a pretty easy way to make people think twice about their homemade wiki guns.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I would suppose by "successfully fired" you mean "it didn't blow up the first go"?

There's no way you can make an accurate, dependable sidearm out of ABS.

Some of the metal printers might stand a better chance, but this thing's a plastic Saturday Night Special.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join