Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

World's first plastic gun, made with 3D printer, successfully fired in the United States

page: 5
14
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
A mature person can explore the issues of gun control without having to take a strong stance on any one side. Its a shame you are not such a person.

Who said I was mature?
Yes, such a shame that I can't just give in to your BS and follow you. Such a shame.


Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Yet again you try to pull the issue away from guns because you have no real argument. Trying to reduce the deaths guns does not mean someone is ok with deaths by any other means. Those are just your words.

Nope, as you seem focused solely on just reducing firearm related deaths. You failed on several occasions to address the violent crime rate, only to banter back on guns.





Originally posted by PhoenixOD

The stricter gun laws were not put in place to reduce violent crime , they were put in place to stop regular mass killing by firearms which they have clearly done.

But percentages of homicides along with almost all violent crimes are down that's even with the obvious increase of population since that time.

Oh, so again, your only outrage is for mass killings where firearms are used. You, protest with fake outrage.
Seems that there are institutes that show you to be full of crap, again.
www.ncpa.org...
freerepublic.com...

So, if you are ONLY looking to do away with mass shootings, since Australia had such a HUGE past with this, where it happened what, one or two times, then I guess the Ban has worked to deter that occurrence.
Bravo Australia. Way to punish everyone for the actions of a true few.
But, I could care less about Australia, as it is not my problem, nor my concern.
The US is my concern and we are guaranteed a right, something that Australia does not have.

I guess you feel safe and secure in thinking that now since the Govt has stepped in, and banned large amounts of firearms, that a mass shooting will never happen again.

Hey, did you know that the TSA will also help secure us when traveling via aircraft?

If you buy that one as well, I have a bridge you would love.




posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by macman
 



Who said I was mature?


Dont worry i dont think anyone is saying that about you




So, if you are ONLY looking to do away with mass shootings, since Australia had such a HUGE past with this, where it happened what, one or two times, then I guess the Ban has worked to deter that occurrence.


According the what their prime minister said they had almost one mass killing every year..now they have had none for 17 years following the stricter gun control laws. The facts speak for themselves.



Nope, as you seem focused solely on just reducing firearm related deaths. You failed on several occasions to address the violent crime rate, only to banter back on guns.


Well considering that's what the subject of the thread is about ..'guns' and we are discussing 'gun control' in Australia its not surprising is it?




But, I could care less about Australia, as it is not my problem, nor my concern.


I think you mean 'couldnt' but who knows with your twisted logic. Yes its plainly obvious that dealing with facts surrounding progress in mass killings by guns is not something you are concerned about


edit on 7-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD


Dont worry i dont think anyone is saying that about you


And that means what to me.


Originally posted by PhoenixOD

According the what their prime minister said they had almost one mass killing every year..now they have had none for 17 years following the stricter gun control laws. The facts speak for themselves.

en.wikipedia.org...
Looks like they need to ban knives and fire as well.


Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Well considering that's what the subject of the thread is about ..'guns' and we are discussing 'gun control' in Australia its not surprising is it?


Your statements are clearly anti-gun rights, and the idea that you are railing just for firearms to be banned, and will not address the real issue, the person, shows just that.






Originally posted by PhoenixOD

I think you mean 'couldnt' but who knows with your twisted logic. Yes its plainly obvious that dealing with facts surrounding progress in mass killings by guns is not something you are concerned about


A statement of "I couldn't care less" is a double negative.
I could care less is what I meant to say.
What facts? Violent crime is up. The only thing that the gun laws has stopped, so far, is a mass killing, so far.
I am wondering, if it is so easy to end mass killings with firearms, why not just ban killing people as a whole and save the world?


Still, fake outrage over this is just that, fake.

Being Pro-Gun rights, I am against mass killings as a whole, not just with firearms.
But, I know, being in the real world, that there is nothing that will stop a criminal from committing crime.

Stay safe in your fantasy world.



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   


Your statements are clearly anti-gun rights, and the idea that you are railing just for firearms to be banned, and will not address the real issue, the person, shows just that.


Again you are making up arguments to disagree with. Im not saying firearms should be banned, im looking at how stricter gun control has stopped mass killings by guns in Australia. Guns are not banned in Australia.



Being Pro-Gun rights, I am against mass killings as a whole, not just with firearms.
But, I know, being in the real world, that there is nothing that will stop a criminal from committing crime.


Still trying to confuse the issue of deaths by firearm related injury and mass gun killings by trying to say people will always commit other crimes which is another issue...its getting kind of old.

Try sticking to the subject im discussing if you have a solid argument, instead of mindlessly regurgitating phrases you have heard from NRA adverts



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

ENOUGH!!!!



The bickering stops NOW!!!!!
Further rude and/or off topic posts will be removed....

You are responsible for your own posts.


edit on Tue May 7 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
WOW...do you guys realize that someone with a plastic gun would be able to get passed detectors at like court houses and etc. All you need is it strapped to your ankle. They will start searching people alot more kinda like the airports if plastic guns start getting popular.

Eh, I guess the detector would detect the led tips and depending on what kind of casing's are used. Should be a way around that also though.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)
edit on 7-5-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Yay he made the perfect gun for terrorists and criminals where they dont have to go through background checks to get them and it cant be detected by metal detectors. Nice and easy to get into airports. Not to mention can be made by people of any age, smuggled into schools easily.

What an unbelievably stupid thing to do


edit on 6-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)


he did no such thing, only "sane" people, prisoners of their fears would say such a thing,

when confronted with irrefutable proof of the stupidity, and futility, of banning things, and of Law in general.




But why even bother making an undetectable gun that is free? I cant see any good coming from designing something like this.


it's being "free" alone puts a serious dent in the illegal fire arms market [and the legal one too]

let's say you're in a siege-scenario with no means of calling on the powers of the state to defend you[i.e. police]

at home with a gang outside looking to break in

or the class nerd atrembling as the jocks, who've sworn to break your bones, are using an axe to break down the door

let's say in both cases you've got maybe 20 minutes before you are murdered, raped and eaten...
advances in 3d printing mean you can print out a working gun in 15

and there just happens to be a 3d printer right there in the room...


Imagination, it's how "Crazy" people get by.
edit on 7-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz
 


This ability has been around for some time now. It is just now making headlines because it can be done from a $8k printer.

The firing pin still needs to be made from metal. Same with the cases for the ammo, as you indicated.



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD
 


All that you have stated, is that you are against firearms, because it has stopped, so far, mass shootings in a single country. It has not stopped any violent crime, nor has it stopped gun crime either.

When another mass shooting happens there, I am sure you and others will look bewildered at each other, as there is a law removing most firearms from people, and will wonder how could it be.

Laws don't change criminal behavior. Laws change the behavior of the lawful. Period, end of story.

Besides, again, I could really care less what happens there. Regardless if it is firearm related, people killing others with knives or arson. Not my problem.

The worlds first plastic gun, made in the gold old US of A. I love it. And so do millions of others.

You don't like it, that is nice. Please, push your govt to ban and/or restrict 3D printers there, as you have shown, the people are not responsible enough to have freedom to choose.

edit on 7-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by macman
 




All that you have stated, is that you are against firearms, because it has stopped, so far, mass shootings in a single country.


Again you are making up claims about what i have said and arguing against them, seems to be a recurring problem in comprehension you are having.

Woopty doo eh?

edit on 7-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IShotMyLastMuse
Too many americans have a gun fetish and this proves it.
I was waiting for the printers to become more affordable because i thought it would be very useful around the house for building "extra parts" to stuff, and now thanks to some gun addicted nut jobs, they will either be banned or so expensive i will probably not be able to get one.
the extent that some americans will overcompensate with guns for their own insecurity is just amazing :/


My thoughts exactly. Way to go america i hope your proud of yourself as this well get the tec banned i bet!


And before any merican blabber on about the 2nd amendment realise the whole world is not the usa and alot of us oother countryd do not want guns! Have them in the usa but stop trying to force them on everyone else.

You know what? The conspircy of goverments sitting on advanced tec makes soooo much more sense...we are to stupid to be trusted....



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok
 


If the printers become available and include restrictions on, not just guns, but all printable objects will you still blame that on American gun laws?

For example, lets say you broke the handle of your car door and want to print a new one, but can't do so because it would infringe upon the intellectual property rights of the car manufacturer. The printer has a built in restriction that requires you to own a license to produce an object. You could purchase the license that allows you to print a limited number of them, and the cost of the license will offset the sale they lost because you printed it instead of ordering it from the manufacturer.

If you think this sounds far-fetched then this whole discussion of printed guns has successfully diverted your attention from the real issue. This is exactly the sort of limitations that the manufacturing industry is planning as we speak.

The manufacturers want this because it will allow them to continue to profit without the need for a factory or, more importantly, employees. If they are currently selling an item for $10 retail and are instead able to sell you the spec for $10 they will increase their profit because the cost of producing, shipping, and shelving the item is gone. That cost is replaced by a tiny bandwidth cost.

Utilizing these printers to their full potential is going to require cracks and modifications, and those cracks and modifications are going to be criminalized. Printing that door handle without paying for the license will be the new piracy.

Guns are not the issue. They are using the idea of printed guns to scare you into believing these printers are themselves dangerous weapons that require regulation, and you are falling hard for it.



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Slugworth
 


Ten stars if I could. Well said.

This is the future of warfare between the Multinationals and the people. The insane profit margins have to make way for sensible profit margins. $120.00 for a piece of plastic and wadding for a 'filter' to stop leaves entering my car's air conditioning is just stupid and is IMHO theft!

The primary war to be fought is between the end consumers and the multinational thieving bleep bleep bleeps.

We need to take back society and we need to stop the manufacturing of designed obsolescence. It is a criminal activity threatening the entire planet.

P


ETA That is an awesome post from a new member. One of the best I have seen. Kudos!
edit on 8/5/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by fairguy


Let me guess, you think that complete martial law is an absolute certainty and you're going to take them all on in your Die Hard vest....

Yeah, sure sure. Okay then.
When have I stated any of that?





Originally posted by fairguy
I always wanted to live in 'merica.

Not any more.



Good, stay where you are. I am sure you are SO much safer there.


I live in northern England, were the biggest killer is boredom and health problems or Car crashes.
The biggest loss of death at one time was from a guy who legally owned 2 guns (for hunting) and he went on a rampage and killed 12 people and tried 11 more.

Shootings

That was a once in a lifetime deal for this area and the first time in the country since handguns were banned.

In short, you have no idea what some places are like, if you ever come to my neck of the woods, turn you watch back to 1960, it's not and never will be Chicago.

I'm not against guns but saying you are unsafe without them is speaking from a place of bias due to were you are.



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slugworth
reply to post by crazyewok
 


If the printers become available and include restrictions on, not just guns, but all printable objects will you still blame that on American gun laws?

For example, lets say you broke the handle of your car door and want to print a new one, but can't do so because it would infringe upon the intellectual property rights of the car manufacturer. The printer has a built in restriction that requires you to own a license to produce an object. You could purchase the license that allows you to print a limited number of them, and the cost of the license will offset the sale they lost because you printed it instead of ordering it from the manufacturer.

If you think this sounds far-fetched then this whole discussion of printed guns has successfully diverted your attention from the real issue. This is exactly the sort of limitations that the manufacturing industry is planning as we speak.

The manufacturers want this because it will allow them to continue to profit without the need for a factory or, more importantly, employees. If they are currently selling an item for $10 retail and are instead able to sell you the spec for $10 they will increase their profit because the cost of producing, shipping, and shelving the item is gone. That cost is replaced by a tiny bandwidth cost.

Utilizing these printers to their full potential is going to require cracks and modifications, and those cracks and modifications are going to be criminalized. Printing that door handle without paying for the license will be the new piracy.

Guns are not the issue. They are using the idea of printed guns to scare you into believing these printers are themselves dangerous weapons that require regulation, and you are falling hard for it.



No it the fact is it just happend to be a American that did it.


But I see your points. 3D printers are a danger to all the big buisness and hence the goverments that are in there pockets are just looking for a excuse to restrict them.

In theroy they could complety bring down the capatlism system. All menial job could become obsolete. Food and any goods you need would become the the fraction of the price we have now.

Thing of the food reveolution. Instead of farming and useing all that land and takeing months to grow anything. Plus all the resources that it takes to rear animinals you could instead just crow protein, Fat, and Carbohydrate paste in HUGE vats in labs. This would make food production a hell of alot more efficeint and food would in effcet become near unlimited. In 20 year time when tou go down to the shops you wont be picking between chicken and beef but what amino acid you need that week.



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok
 



In theroy they could complety bring down the capatlism system. All menial job could become obsolete.


I struggled with this drawback for a bit myself. If factories were rendered obsolete by this tech it would certainly mean fewer manufacturing jobs. Then I realized that humans are already approaching obsolescence with regard to manufacturing. A single person can run a robotic assembly line that, 50 or 100 years ago, would have required many people. Other sectors of industry that could take a hit it would include the design and maintenance of the robots, and everyone involved in the shipping-retail chain.

The upside: if the printers were to available without restriction, could be a boom in individual inventiveness. The ability for a person of average finance who has a good idea to draw something in CAD and go straight to production could lead to all sorts of new and useful creations, perhaps even life-altering ones. I don't think we should worry about killing obsolete industries just because they employ people. The VCR was supposed to be the death of the film industry. The world adapts.

Before someone points out that something is "impossible" to create with these printers or that they are prohibitively expensive please refer to my earlier post where I address that.



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slugworth
reply to post by crazyewok
 



In theroy they could complety bring down the capatlism system. All menial job could become obsolete.


I struggled with this drawback for a bit myself. If factories were rendered obsolete by this tech it would certainly mean fewer manufacturing jobs. Then I realized that humans are already approaching obsolescence with regard to manufacturing. A single person can run a robotic assembly line that, 50 or 100 years ago, would have required many people. Other sectors of industry that could take a hit it would include the design and maintenance of the robots, and everyone involved in the shipping-retail chain.

The upside: if the printers were to available without restriction, could be a boom in individual inventiveness. The ability for a person of average finance who has a good idea to draw something in CAD and go straight to production could lead to all sorts of new and useful creations, perhaps even life-altering ones. I don't think we should worry about killing obsolete industries just because they employ people. The VCR was supposed to be the death of the film industry. The world adapts.

Before someone points out that something is "impossible" to create with these printers or that they are prohibitively expensive please refer to my earlier post where I address that.


Im of the socalist/ Capatlist hybrid club so I dont see this as a problem. As you said menial factory jobs could become obsolete but then awhole new industrys will pop up.

To me its a very good things.


And as for expensese. Even if a community was to have just one it could change the world. But chances are in the next 20 years everyone in the west will have one anyway.
edit on 8-5-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by macman
 




All that you have stated, is that you are against firearms, because it has stopped, so far, mass shootings in a single country.


Again you are making up claims about what i have said and arguing against them, seems to be a recurring problem in comprehension you are having.

Woopty doo eh?

edit on 7-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)


Oh, so you are just against certain firearms, for certain people. Okay then, ya got me



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Taggart
 


AGAIN, I could care less what other countries do. Ban this, outlaw that, restrict something. I don't care. Your house, your rules.

Those moronic laws and rules have no place in the US.
Thanks for playing.



posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Taggart
 


AGAIN, I could care less what other countries do. Ban this, outlaw that, restrict something. I don't care. Your house, your rules.

Those moronic laws and rules have no place in the US.
Thanks for playing.

And your moronic laws have no place outside the USA.

Fact is this has forced your gun problem onto other countrys.....

Still some idoit was bound to abuse this amazing tec eventually. It was either going to be a American or Arab.






top topics



 
14
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join