It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans fear government more than terror

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I definitely fear cops more than terrorists--and I am a working, white, law-abiding citizen reaching retirement age.

In my experience, the police are the real terrorists. I don't know what it's like where you live, but here in southern oregon local cops often raid homes with black ski masks over their heads so you can't identify them later.

They typically raid homes over small amounts of marijuana, keep parents handcuffed for hours and send kids to protective custody until the search is complete. Most raids are based on 'informant information,' which means some junkie gave them your name in exchange for a reduced sentence.

By the way, the searches typically turn unless than an ounce of pot...a misdemeanor here.

This police terrorism has occurred several times in my community, and I've heard the same story in other small communities.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
After reading this thread and getting a vibe on this forum and other american (USA) based info, I would change the title to something less dramatic:

"Americans Fear"

That is the underlying principle. I have, and continue, to see new and old rehashed threads about people being scared of the unknown. USA is a fear state from what I see. People seem to live in compliance without question because of regulations and what -might- happen if you make a mistake.

Just my opinion after having voluntarily removed myself from such circumstances to happen, hopefully in my lifetime...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

...and rightly so.

Ever heard of democide?

"a term revived and redefined by the political scientist R. J. Rummel as "the murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide and mass murder."

Next to disease, governments are the leading cause of death in the entire history of the world.

www.hawaii.edu...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicks87

...and rightly so.

Ever heard of democide?

"a term revived and redefined by the political scientist R. J. Rummel as "the murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide and mass murder."

Next to disease, governments are the leading cause of death in the entire history of the world.

www.hawaii.edu...
I have heard of the term. I believe we should ban governments in that case. LMAO!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrxMulder
This poll is a loaded question.

Basically people are saying they fear the government more than... a fabrication from the government.

Might as well asked the people if they feared God more than the devil.
edit on 29-4-2013 by MrxMulder because: (no reason given)

Yup. Terror is the most wicked tool in their arsenal.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohhhh

Originally posted by Anonbeleiver77

Interesting poll. Maybe the sheeple are starting to wake up? Though the dimocrats seem especially willing to compromise with evil. How has sacrificing our freedoms made us any safer anyway? It seems to me that many of the so called terrorist attacks "thwarted" by the FBI were in fact planned and supplied by the FBI; or at a minimum the players were enticed to act by the FBI. It is high time to reclaim our lost freedoms. Free speech should be free everywhere in this nation, not just in "zones". The right to keep and bear arms should be unregulated as our founders intended. Experience shows that gun laws do not work, except to disarm the law abiding public leaving us at the mercy of predators. The 4th amendment needs to be expanded to include protection from electronic surveillance of our calls, email, and social media. The 5th amendment should be expanded to include protection of our images and dna. Disband the SS, sorry I mean DHS. It's just hard to tell the difference. Disband the TSA. If the airlines want to hire private security and screeners, fine. let each airline do so at their cost, not ours. Those airlines who go too far in their screenings will find themselves with fewer passengers and possibly out of business. Freedom is more important the the "security" the state is currently providing. IMO, anyway.

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Although I agree wholeheartedly with what your saying about protecting individual privacy I would like to disagree with you saying that gun control laws don't work...
Since gun control laws where introduced down here in Australia in 1996 the homicide rate has dropped by a whopping 59%!!
That's more than half the people that would've been shot still alive and kicking.
We are still allowed to buy weapons but we must first have a shooters license and to get a license must be part of a club. All weapons must be stored in a safe. Full auto and semi auto weapons along with pump action weapons are banned to the public.
I understand your founders intentions when making these amendments but that was a different time and you where straight out of a war fought in your own soil by the general populace.
I am sure they never intended to have the populace armed with assault rifles and machine guns unregulated.

Peace
edit on 30-4-2013 by Anonbeleiver77 because: (no reason given)

You don't understand our current laws or else you wouldn't have made the statements you did. Purchasing Assault Rifles or machine guns is well regulated and requires additional background checks and "taxes" to obtain. These are known as class 3 weapons and are not the ones used in the most recent atrocities.

No I don't understand your laws at all.
But I do know that here in Australia no matter what state your in or what club you belong to whatever you can't buy an ak 47 an Uzi or a semi automatic pistol...
Our kids don't take guns to school and kill their classmates and teachers it just dosnt happen.
The numbers speak for themselves 59% drop in homicide.Gun control works and has worked in every country it has been mandated.
If your really worried about protecting your people the conclusion is blatantly obvious.
We still have the capability of protecting ourselves but not the capability of us or our children committing mass murder.
I understand it's a tradition part of your history etc...
But so was lynching, slavery, bigotry etc...
Times change....when your children are killing each other in school with automatic weapons the way forward is a no brainier.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

According to Ronald Reagan the twelve most feared words in the english language are:

"I am from the government and I am here to help you".

I may be slightly off on the quote, but the meaning is what counts.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
After reading this thread and getting a vibe on this forum and other american (USA) based info, I would change the title to something less dramatic:

"Americans Fear"

That is the underlying principle. I have, and continue, to see new and old rehashed threads about people being scared of the unknown. USA is a fear state from what I see. People seem to live in compliance without question because of regulations and what -might- happen if you make a mistake.

Just my opinion after having voluntarily removed myself from such circumstances to happen, hopefully in my lifetime...

I have referred to our country as "The United States of the Offended". I think I may need to change that to "The United States of the Fearful".

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoyd23
I definitely fear cops more than terrorists--and I am a working, white, law-abiding citizen reaching retirement age.

In my experience, the police are the real terrorists. I don't know what it's like where you live, but here in southern oregon local cops often raid homes with black ski masks over their heads so you can't identify them later.

They typically raid homes over small amounts of marijuana, keep parents handcuffed for hours and send kids to protective custody until the search is complete. Most raids are based on 'informant information,' which means some junkie gave them your name in exchange for a reduced sentence.

By the way, the searches typically turn unless than an ounce of pot...a misdemeanor here.

This police terrorism has occurred several times in my community, and I've heard the same story in other small communities.

So the moral of the story is: Dont break the law?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Although I agree wholeheartedly with what your saying about protecting individual privacy I would like to disagree with you saying that gun control laws don't work...
Since gun control laws where introduced down here in Australia in 1996 the homicide rate has dropped by a whopping 59%!!
That's more than half the people that would've been shot still alive and kicking.
We are still allowed to buy weapons but we must first have a shooters license and to get a license must be part of a club. All weapons must be stored in a safe. Full auto and semi auto weapons along with pump action weapons are banned to the public.
I understand your founders intentions when making these amendments but that was a different time and you where straight out of a war fought in your own soil by the general populace.
I am sure they never intended to have the populace armed with assault rifles and machine guns unregulated.

It depends on what you mean by "gun control", since obviously Aussies do possess their guns.

The gun control implemented in cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Memphis and so one obviously do not work and will, indeed, produce results indicative of "only the criminals will have guns".

Personally...I feel that if teachers were armed any school shootings would end rather quickly and there would be far fewer of them.

Personally I have an issue with politicians who have heavily armed body guards who push gun control. I have problems with a president whose children go to a school that has no less than 12 armed guards of one type or another at all times who pushes gun control.

When his guards give up their guns, I will consider giving mine up.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bbracken677

It depends on what you mean by "gun control", since obviously Aussies do possess their guns.

The gun control implemented in cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Memphis and so one obviously do not work and will, indeed, produce results indicative of "only the criminals will have guns".

Personally...I feel that if teachers were armed any school shootings would end rather quickly and there would be far fewer of them.

Personally I have an issue with politicians who have heavily armed body guards who push gun control. I have problems with a president whose children go to a school that has no less than 12 armed guards of one type or another at all times who pushes gun control.

See this is what makes me very sad.
Not only do our schools not have guards with guns they just don't have guards. Don't need them.
And the solution of arming the teachers it's just another part of the problem a problem with the way your society thinks. Mutually assured destruction like the cold war with russia.
The solution that is obvious is to make guns less available and to not bring up your children thinking that owning a gun and knowing how to kill someone is a normal way to live. These school shootings mainly happen in America and when they happen elsewhere it's a kid copying an American.
Teach your kids to be loving, caring, enlightened beings who beleive in peace and have a healthy respect for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as your forefathers intended.
I think if your forefathers saw what was happening with your kids and on the street they would change the amendments themselves is quite plain this was not what was intended.
The right to bear arms then meant muskets and swords not weapons that could kill a whole room full of people in a few minutes.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bbracken677

Not only do our schools not have guards with guns they just don't have guards. Don't need them.
And the solution of arming the teachers it's just another part of the problem a problem with the way your society thinks. Mutually assured destruction like the cold war with russia.
The solution that is obvious is to make guns less available and to not bring up your children thinking that owning a gun and knowing how to kill someone is a normal way to live. These school shootings mainly happen in America and when they happen elsewhere it's a kid copying an American.
Teach your kids to be loving, caring, enlightened beings who beleive in peace and have a healthy respect for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as your forefathers intended.
I think if your forefathers saw what was happening with your kids and on the street they would change the amendments themselves is quite plain this was not what was intended.
The right to bear arms then meant muskets and swords not weapons that could kill a whole room full of people in a few minutes.
The "only the crims will have guns" is a valid point as we still have trouble with the biker gangs here but they're guns are found, confiscated and them charged regularly and in the process their other crimes come to light more easily.
As is said the figures speak for themselves 59% less deaths that includes obviously the crims.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I havent been on a plane since 2004. In the next few months I will fly to California and Hawaii. I am dredding it. Not the trips, but the airport. Why? Because I am nearly certain I will be randomly chosen for search at the airport. Why? Because 9-11 was an inside job damnit!! I know it and they know I know it!

Anyhow, terrorism, American Government? Pot, meet kettle.

Hopefully this indicates our efforts are paying off. And I will not consent to a damn strip search. I will violently oppose if necessary. Haha. I am just trying to take vacation damnit. I am a patriot, not a terrorist.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If it hasn't been said already:

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”
― Thomas Jefferson

Official United States Government Definition of Terrorism

"[An] act of terrorism, means any activity that (A) involves a violent act or an act dangerous to human life that is a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; and (B) appears to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by assassination or kidnapping."

(United States Code Congressional and Administrative News, 98th Congress, Second Session, 1984, Oct. 19, volume 2; par. 3077, 98 STAT. 2707 [West Publishing Co., 1984])

yeoldeconsciousnessshoppe.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonbeleiver77

trouble with that OPINION is
the school shootings are in gunfree zones and the shooters are on certain kinds of antidepressants
just for starters

once the guns go
the pen goes
once the pen goes
wolves eat free

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

the school shootings are in gunfree zones and the shooters are on certain kinds of antidepressants
just for starters

once the guns go
the pen goes
once the pen goes
wolves eat free

By pen you mean freedom of expression or jail?
None of that's happened here...
If you could explain what the gun free zones are I'm not sure what you mean?
If you mean it's an area your not allowed to carry weapons I don't see how that's supposed to stop someone whose intention is to kill people just walking across an invisible line with said weapons. The only true solution is to make the weapons unavailable and to change the culture of "guns are good".

Your guns arnt freeing you their you living in fear.

Slaves to your weapons and your kids are killing each other.
I'm not trying to insult you I feel bad for you.
The only solution is less weapons simple more weapons more violence it's plain mathematics.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't fear government as such, I fear wicked political parties and their henchmen. There is an enormous difference between the two, but sheep of either "big party" use the term LOOSELY to hide their motives and preferences.

Government is always necessary, otherwise their is anarchy.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

So, where is it you live? Rural area?

I was not advocating the arming of teachers so much as just allowing them their freedom to arm themselves if they so choose.

You seem to be advocating gun control to extremes...so you believe the law abiding people should not be armed, but it's a given that the criminals will be armed? That makes a lot of sense.....

I think more basic questions to ask are why are mentally disturbed people allowed the freedom they seem to have as well as access to weapons. What affects do they drugs they are taking have on their violent tendencies? Why does mental health seem to be primarily a pharmaceutical thing?

The Psychologist's answer to any human feelings seems to be a prescription. A Psychologist's approach is wholly different and not involving drugs but rather addressing issues at the core of the problem.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

just for starters

once the guns go
the pen goes
once the pen goes
wolves eat free

By pen you mean freedom of expression or jail?
None of that's happened here...
If you could explain what the gun free zones are I'm not sure what you mean?
If you mean it's an area your not allowed to carry weapons I don't see how that's supposed to stop someone whose intention is to kill people just walking across an invisible line with said weapons. The only true solution is to make the weapons unavailable and to change the culture of "guns are good".

Your guns arnt freeing you their you living in fear.

Slaves to your weapons and your kids are killing each other.
I'm not trying to insult you I feel bad for you.
The only solution is less weapons simple more weapons more violence it's plain mathematics.

Wrongo.....

In Texas we have a concealed carry law that allows a person to apply for a concealed/carry license once one has been trained etc. Not available to law-breakers.

Don't form the opinion that tons of people in Texas are walking around with concealed weapons because that simply isnt the case. However, you do not see many of the issues that you do see in states where gun control approaches extremes and only the criminals are armed.

In Texas you have to consider, as a criminal, that someone in a crowd may be armed and will respond with deadly force if you try anything. In other words, it would not be one armed criminal versus a group of unarmed citizens...but rather a group of POTENTIALLY armed people versus a criminal with a gun...see the difference?

I can promise you that the theatre shooting by "the joker" would not have happened in Texas.

The first school shooting in America was in Pearl, Mississippi....the shooter was heading to his car to go to another nearby school for more shooting. He was stopped by a teacher who had gone to his car to retrieve a hunting rifle.

Simple enough? In New York he would have made it to the other school...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Hai..

Very interesting poll. Thanks for sharing. Please visit maalaimalar.com to get more information about this.

by
Mathu

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join