It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans fear government more than terror

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Americans fear government more than terror

www.wnd.com

According to a pair of recent polls, for the first time since the 9/11 terrorist hijackings, Americans are more fearful their government will abuse constitutional liberties than fail to keep its citizens safe.

Bucking the trend, 51 percent of Democrats responded they would give up personal freedom to reduce the threat of terror, compared to 36 percent opposed.
Forty-seven percent of Republicans, on the other hand, opposed giving up freedoms, compared to only 43 percent in favor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Interesting poll. Maybe the sheeple are starting to wake up? Though the dimocrats seem especially willing to compromise with evil. How has sacrificing our freedoms made us any safer anyway? It seems to me that many of the so called terrorist attacks "thwarted" by the FBI were in fact planned and supplied by the FBI; or at a minimum the players were enticed to act by the FBI. It is high time to reclaim our lost freedoms. Free speech should be free everywhere in this nation, not just in "zones". The right to keep and bear arms should be unregulated as our founders intended. Experience shows that gun laws do not work, except to disarm the law abiding public leaving us at the mercy of predators. The 4th amendment needs to be expanded to include protection from electronic surveillance of our calls, email, and social media. The 5th amendment should be expanded to include protection of our images and dna. Disband the SS, sorry I mean DHS. It's just hard to tell the difference. Disband the TSA. If the airlines want to hire private security and screeners, fine. let each airline do so at their cost, not ours. Those airlines who go too far in their screenings will find themselves with fewer passengers and possibly out of business. Freedom is more important the the "security" the state is currently providing. IMO, anyway.

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
There is a similar thread here.

But it is interesting how both you and the other author looked at the polls, you tend to focus specifically on the poll(there are multiple polls discussed in the article) from fox talking about the political parties while the thread talks generally about the whole population.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
That samaru search function is useless. I do believe that our threads are different enough to continue separately though. Let the mods decode if they want to close or merge them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

“Would you be willing to give up some of your personal freedom in order to reduce the threat of terrorism?” Of those surveyed on April 16, 2013, 45 percent answered no to the question, compared to 43 percent answering yes.

What an absurd question. One would think; "Why on Earth, would the Govt. feel the need to strip its own people of their freedom? The same people and ideology that it's trying to protect!"

Who are they protecting us from? The terrorists? Or ourselves?

(cue saw theme.)

edit on 29-4-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I was under the impression that there was not much of a difference between the two lately.
The government has gotten cocky recently and now act like they could not care less if the public catches them doing wrong because they walk anyway. By doing that more folks are seeing their true colors seep through. Others wouldn't wake up even if they witnessed something horrific with their own eyes. It's an ugly thing to accept I guess and that leaves a lot of people who think ignorance is bliss.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491

“Would you be willing to give up some of your personal freedom in order to reduce the threat of terrorism?” Of those surveyed on April 16, 2013, 45 percent answered no to the question, compared to 43 percent answering yes.

What an absurd question. One would think; "Why on Earth, would the Govt. feel the need to strip its people of their FREEDOMS? The same people that it's trying to PROTECT!"

(cue saw theme.)
Because it was never about "protection". It has always been about control. Decades ago, the government had very little control over Americans. When I was in high school, it was nothing to look out into the parking lot and count 20 or more rifles or shotguns hanging in the back windows of many trucks. Especially during hunting season. When I was in middle school, many of us brought our pocket knives to school. We also made knives and "throwing stars" in metal shop. We made billy clubs on the wood lathes and got graded on them. How many stabbings and shootings took place at schools back in the 70s and 80s? It just didn't happen. We were a different people then.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

When I was in high school, it was nothing to look out into the parking lot and count 20 or more rifles or shotguns hanging in the back windows of many trucks. Especially during hunting season. When I was in middle school, many of us brought our pocket knives to school. We also made knives and "throwing stars" in metal shop. We made billy clubs on the wood lathes and got graded on them. How many stabbings and shootings took place at schools back in the 70s and 80s? It just didn't happen. We were a different people then.

Not to go too far OT, but my husband and I were just talking about this. I had to look and see where you were from to make sure we didn't share the same state! When I was in high school they let us take the first day of deer/turkey season off without penalty and we did have gun racks in our trucks on school property and nobody ever thought anything of it. This was in the very early 90's. You could carry your pocket knives and ibuprofen (long story) on you in school without issue as well. It's weird how things have changed so much in so little time.
edit on 4/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

How many stabbings and shootings took place at schools back in the 70s and 80s? It just didn't happen. We were a different people then.

I wouldn't doubt it.

A lot of people argue to the contrary, but I would say that this is a direct result of todays ever-changing 'Mainstream' society. Sure, there're other contributing factors. But when you take a deeper look, it's ridiculous, the almost cult-like following that the Mainstream receives. And I can tell you, todays' generation is as manipulable as ever. Emulating whatever it is they see and/or hear, from anywhere.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think people got suspicious about the draconian gun laws democrats attempted to pass after the media sensationalised the school shootings to death. People get shot everyday in some town/city in america and throughout the world, but the media either ignores those or downplays them. How many times do we hear about MS-13 shootings in downtown baltimore/los angeles/dc??? They couldn't give a rats ass about teen gangs, drugs, etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

What an absurd question. One would think; "Why on Earth, would the Govt. feel the need to strip its own people of their freedom? The same people and ideology that it's trying to protect!"

(cue saw theme.)

its the same reasons why the Nazis stripped its people of their freedoms as well before there rise. It’s an absurd notion to put all your believes into a government that only cares about empowering its self and those at the top.

They strip your rights away so you have no voice to make a difference anymore.

They strip your rights away so those in power stay in power.

They strip rights away so they can bail out there buddies that are “too big to fail” as the family hardware store down the street goes under.

They divide us so we cant unite and over throw the corruption.

With what happened in boston, door to door searches, pulling woman and childeren out of there homes at gun point, yes i fear my government. what happened there is SO WRONG!. Martial Law declared all for ONE 19 year old teen. Now martial law can be declared for anything!

edit on 29-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So the people are afraid of the government more than of terrorism.....

Go figure...

Could be because the radical jihadi's only stick it to them once every ten years or so...

Meanwhile the government are sticking it to them every day...

Bush cried out "They hate us because of our freedom, they hate us because of liberty and out way of life......."
Meanwhile the government voted into power democratically by the people is trying to destroy the self same freedom and liberty and way of life, just by different means.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What threat of terror? 4 people have died in 10 years as a result of terrorism in the United States. The TSA has failed to catch 1 terrorist in the over 10 years it has been in operation. Despite tens of billions of dollars in annual budget, funding manpower, armored vehicles and intelligence gathering, the DHS, FBI and CIA failed to stop the one terror event we actually did have in the last 10 years.

Please......... Terrorism is a non issue in America. It's a manufactured fear of a "boogey man" with no credible statistics to back up any credible threat to our society, way of life or possibility of mass casualties outside of "normal" risk as it pertains to our foreign affairs policies.

Terrorism is only real in the sense that it exists. Brown recluse spiders exist too, their bite causes horrible necrotic wounds and sometimes death yet I don't live my life in fear of being bitten because cold hard statistics tell me that the chance of that happening does not warrant any changes in my daily life or behavior. Much like terrorism.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

How many stabbings and shootings took place at schools back in the 70s and 80s? It just didn't happen. We were a different people then.

I wouldn't doubt it.

A lot of people argue to the contrary, but I would say that this is a direct result of todays ever-changing 'Mainstream' society. Sure, there're other contributing factors. But when you take a deeper look, it's ridiculous, the almost cult-like following that the Mainstream receives. And I can tell you, todays' generation is as manipulable as ever. Emulating whatever it is they see and/or hear, from anywhere.

That is what happens when people live to work rather than work to live. There is an enormous difference between the two. One is a pleasant existance and the other leads to both parents having to work multiple part time jobs to exist, which leads to a mcdonalds fast food society, where people have little time and energy to research anything themselves and are a bit too naive to even care.

The people who own and run corporate media have always been in bed with the bankers and industrialists of each epoch. Unions are demonised and wages remain low. Not to mention outsourcing and automation to maximise profits in this sick globalist enviroment.

Everything takes its toll.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
What threat of terror? 4 people have died in 10 years as a result of terrorism in the United States. The TSA has failed to catch 1 terrorist in the over 10 years it has been in operation. Despite tens of billions of dollars in annual budget, funding manpower, armored vehicles and intelligence gathering, the DHS, FBI and CIA failed to stop the one terror event we actually did have in the last 10 years..

Money that should have been spend on public education, public health, alternative energy, emergency management, etc.

But we are perpetually stuck with evil henchmen like obama and bush shoving war agendas and big bad muslim terrorist boogiemans or commies comming from everywhere.

And its funny how liberals are liberal with money but NOT with guns. Liberal usually means "spend liberally" as in plenty. Conservative means to keep the status quo but everything is upside-down in this world. People confuse big government with evil and small government with good. Size is seconday and intentions are primary imo. But theory and practice many times are incongruent as hell.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I can agree the government has been working on manipulation and control ,sad because we gave them the necessary funding for our own demise . Although I can agree with half of this post I find polls as useful and reliable as a post written by a mere baby playing with he keybord utterly useless and most likely babble and ramblings most "polls" and "studies" are either modified or made up and even if it was true it just keep slapping you to wake up but guess whyat we cant wake up, heck we can force our eyes open but we will always be their chimp forced to watch their propaganda, tied till we decide their is another way , but having been under their "care" we lost control of ourselves of OUR skills , we lost the makeshiftness America was well known for we were hunters , farmers , carers of our land we were someone's even if we had no jobs because we still had input now our only input is on tv and entertainment. (And those who are lucky to have a job are on the verge of loss or loss of self enjoyment)

Also in comparison to the past we became more aggressive as individuals only for "survival" and the need for a status and name has us fighting to be someone but anyone who's a someone is owned by contract (a mere piece of paper that bides ones life under another's name .. Hmm sounds like a more professional way to say slavery )
And wether you can agree or not human nature is to "achieve" an if we are told we can't .. Sorry but we will and vice versa why do you think they pump us up with all the American pride propaganda to make us believe we can.

Sorry in including lot of "" it's the perfect way to explain how "real" every thing sounds. All in all we can if we work together to agree but if we wait we might not see the end of next year and if we fight blindly we won't see day again considering we provided our "protectors" with every weapon ever made but when we handed it all over did we forget man as individual was made wins mind of its own and any mind can change its desire because that is what motivates us... Learn a repetitive pattern because its gunna Krupp happening over and over until such fate ....

But I wish everyone luck in their travels in life because we all still deserve to be well and happy .

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I do not fear the government...they have showed themselves to be quite inept in many recent and past circumstances. However, I AM DISGUSTED with them!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Please......... Terrorism is a non issue in America. It's a manufactured fear of a "boogey man" with no credible statistics to back up any credible threat to our society, way of life or possibility of mass casualties outside of "normal" risk as it pertains to our foreign affairs policies.

Terrorism is a very real American issue...because it's homemade, even your international terrorism is homemade...

There is a very credible threat to society...the necessity for certain people within the government and intelligence services to keep pace with an agenda.
If this agenda didn't exist, then the terrorism wouldn't exist either, as these acts of terrorism, be they domestic or international against the USA are perpetuated by elements within the intelligence services to further said agenda.

The agenda being the complete control of what remains of the worlds resources, be it oil, natural gas, water or minerals in the form of lithium etc etc.

Said forms of terrorism are also used to further domestic agendas, such as gun control etc etc.

So, while the agenda has to be kept, and until all goals are reached, there is a real threat of futher acts of terrorism on the mainland USA.

The momentum of the agenda now it has been started, must be kept up and the only way it can be kept up is by the constant need to fight "terrorism" in the four corners of the earth, leading to constant regime changes that by others means would have taken decades to acheive.

So, while there it still resources to be taken control of in countries where the regime does not wish to have US policy imposed upon it, there will be the need for organised acts of "terrorism" to forment a causus beliis and a reason to take the resources by control.

So,get yourself a copy of The project For A New American Century..sit back, ring up a pizza, open a beer and watch as the plot unfolds before your very eyes on the TV.....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

WOW! The democrat bloc could be accused of what the internet calls "doing it wrong". It should be the role of any democrat to oppose actions which take power from the people, and place it in the hands of the government. Thats how it works where the left right paradigm was born, and therefore, if they want to act differently to that, they ought to re-brand, because apart from anything else, calling these folk democrats is false advertising, and maybe slanderous in the direction of those democrats who actually respect thier own rights.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Is this the same group of Americans who don't want strickter gun control, who didn't vote for Obama, and who don't like Obama-Care? In other words, are these the same Americans that make up the minory opinion in this country? I'm thinking yes, these are exactly those same American.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join